Make Passage of Golubria useless for Formicid

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 3rd January 2018, 14:54

Make Passage of Golubria useless for Formicid

It is inconsistent that level 4 spell Passage of Golubria works normally for Formicid provided that Blink and Controlled Blink (level 8!) and even a very rare consumable (scroll of blinking) don't work at all.
I believe current consensus is to allow some gods to override mutations (Lugonu's blinking and Okawaru's finesse for Fo, Gozag's potions for Mu) but spells should not be that powerful as they become no-brainers for such species.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
duvessa

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 3rd January 2018, 15:33

Re: Make Passage of Golubria useless for Formicid

not sure why this ghetto cblink/ctele is still in the game considering ctele got removed and cblink got nerfed to the point you would just learn passage instead, specially with the orb effect in zot.

For this message the author ezero has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 3rd January 2018, 15:38

ezero wrote:not sure why this ghetto cblink/ctele is still in the game considering ctele got removed and cblink got nerfed to the point you would just learn passage instead, specially with the orb effect in zot.

I agree that Passage of Golubria is OP and encourages grinding (players are encouraged to cast it before opening every door or just wait until it expires if you are unlucky with exit placement and try again), and should be removed or moved to level 6 but unfortunately I believe it won't happen.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 6th January 2018, 01:19

It might be interesting to move Passage to a rechargeable item like the Lightning Rod, but Translocations is already a pretty bad school - Blink and Passage are usually the only reasons to train it. (Of course, summoners can go for Summon Forest / Malign Gateway, and late game casters might eventually want CBlink or Disjunction, but still, it's pretty bad.)

Hmm, would a delayed CBlink that moves you to the target square in say 5-10 turns be an interesting spell?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 6th January 2018, 19:46

bhauth wrote:Hmm, would a delayed CBlink that moves you to the target square in say 5-10 turns be an interesting spell?

No, because most characters could walk there in the same time. I couldn't think of any situation where I would want to cast such a spell.
Maɟaŋ

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 6th January 2018, 21:19

Majang wrote:
bhauth wrote:Hmm, would a delayed CBlink that moves you to the target square in say 5-10 turns be an interesting spell?

No, because most characters could walk there in the same time. I couldn't think of any situation where I would want to cast such a spell.

Actually, you could cast this hypothetical delayed CBlink, start walking in a different direction leading critters away from your intended landing spot, then appear with the aforementioned baddies out of your LOS by several squares when the CBlink went off.

Not a *great* spell, but not useless either, could certainly be used for things like ninjaing runes, and escaping nasty packs. I'm not sure I'd call it actually *interesting* though.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Majang

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 6th January 2018, 23:27

It'd also have one of the same uses as PoG for jacking runes: cast it, then teleport, then this spell takes you back to a known location a few turns later.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 7th January 2018, 00:24

duvessa wrote:It'd also have one of the same uses as PoG for jacking runes: cast it, then teleport, then this spell takes you back to a known location a few turns later.

Maybe teleporting should abort the effect? Maybe currently teleporting should also close all PoG passages?
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Return to Game Design Discussion