Being able to play several chars online

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 16th December 2017, 19:13

Being able to play several chars online

Am I the only person who plays in multiple servers or simply stops playing in a given server because you can only play one char/version/server?
Would it be difficult to allow several chars to be played?
That's one of the reasons I don't play online.
That and lag ofc.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 17th December 2017, 06:40

Re: Being able to play several chars online

You just make another account on the server.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 17th December 2017, 12:45

bel wrote:You just make another account on the server.

There are not that many servers and the lag increases with the distance.
I can understand the problem with having multiple characters per version. It has to be implemented, involves changing the interface and it increases the amount of storage used per user.

My question is: how many people find themselves in a situation where they don't play a new char because all slots are used with unfinished ones.

Then you either kill the current char to try a new one, play the current one, play offline (no limitations and no lag) or a different game altogether?

I often choose to play offline (but I miss asking for advice when things get hairy).

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 17th December 2017, 13:21

I am not sure if you understood what I said. I meant: make another account (say Zhorgal1, Zhorgal2 etc.) on the same server on which you play normally.

Of course, playing offline is also fine. You can ask for advice by copy-pasting your character dump in the "Dungeon Crawling Advice" subforum.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 17th December 2017, 16:42

bel wrote:I am not sure if you understood what I said. I meant: make another account (say Zhorgal1, Zhorgal2 etc.) on the same server on which you play normally.

Oh, I didn't think you meant that. Sorry.

But wins would not be credited to the same account. So it's not exactly the same thing.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 17th December 2017, 18:00

Zhorgal wrote:
bel wrote:I am not sure if you understood what I said. I meant: make another account (say Zhorgal1, Zhorgal2 etc.) on the same server on which you play normally.

Oh, I didn't think you meant that. Sorry.

But wins would not be credited to the same account. So it's not exactly the same thing.

For sequell purposes you can use !nick in IRC to treat accounts as the same for queries and so on, this looks like it works in discord too. (use `??nick` or just `!nick` to see the syntax.)

There's no way to do this for any of the web based scoring pages. It's something that is distantly possible but won't happen any time soon, there's a ton of crawl infrastructure work that would need to happen first (e.g. single sign-on) that isn't even on the horizon at the moment.

For this message the author advil has received thanks:
nago

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 19th December 2017, 20:18

I just run like 5 accounts with a different letter at the end of the name, but I also leave a lot of games unfinished.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 20th December 2017, 11:35

Zhorgal wrote:But wins would not be credited to the same account. So it's not exactly the same thing.

This is arguably a good thing, you can have a separate account for every purpose. For instance, I have accounts like CheiMu (for very hard Mummy of Chei games) and Sandman26 (for experimental games when I expect to lose) and I would not like their stats combined with my main accounts.

Spoiler: show
In another game I have an account TooLazyToThink and you probably can guess when I use it :)
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner