Does anyone enjoy the "you fall through 3 floors" thing?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 18th November 2017, 16:31

Does anyone enjoy the "you fall through 3 floors" thing?

What's the point of this game mechanic where you can randomly fall through 3 floors?

It mostly happens in the early game, where there's a huge spike in difficulty level between several floors. Also, that's the time when you still don't have the tools you would otherwise have to get out of an unexpected situation (skills, spells, consumables). Therefore, there's very little in terms of player skill present.
Also, since it happens mostly in the early game, you're not attached to your character yet, which means the dangerous situation you're randomly put in is not exciting but rather annoying and dying this way just feels like you've wasted the past 10 minutes and you're forced to go through the boring first few levels all over again to fight quokkas and bats.

Either way, falling through 3 floors leaves me feeling shitty without adding anything good to my gaming experience.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 18th November 2017, 17:23

Re: Does anyone enjoy the "you fall through 3 floors" thing?

Yes

For this message the author Implojin has received thanks: 13
byrel, hermbot, ichbins, MainiacJoe, nago, Rast, runewalsh, Shard1697, Sprucery, Wahaha and 3 more users

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 18th November 2017, 17:33

I'm all about shafts.

Ah shit, things just got real, lets do this! OH SHIT A 2H OGRE RUN!

For this message the author edgefigaro has received thanks:
Fingolfin

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 18th November 2017, 17:47

Generally yes. Not with Naga though.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks: 2
nago, Shtopit

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 18th November 2017, 17:55

I'm ok with them, but i'd like them better if they were more common and always visible to the player.
make food great again

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 18th November 2017, 19:35

No one would ever fall through them if they were always visible.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
nago

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 18th November 2017, 21:07

Yah visible shafts are assets, not liabilities. Being able to drop Sigmund to a lower floor is powerful.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 18th November 2017, 22:45

Shard1697 wrote:No one would ever fall through them if they were always visible.

It's like an escape hatch that doesn't bring adjacent monsters when you use it. I'd certainly make sure that dangerous battles were fought on top of one. I could either shaft myself or the monster.
make food great again

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 19th November 2017, 07:27

If you dont like them play more Ashenzari! No more traps/shafts for you.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 21st November 2017, 18:53

I like them a lot. If I survive I'm a lot more attached to my character, if I don't I make a new one because it's crawl.

For this message the author johlstei has received thanks:
ichbins

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 22nd November 2017, 06:03

I enjoy the challege of falling through shafts and having to survive, its makes crawl more enjoyable knowing that any false move means death.

I enjoy the feeling that it brings, instant strategy change. I can't remember the last time ive died that way. I usually always survive.
Spoiler: show
hi

For this message the author TrumpTrain has received thanks:
Antares

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 22nd November 2017, 13:58

Shafts are like early banishment in the adrenaline department, except there's a good chance you'll actually survive.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

For this message the author MainiacJoe has received thanks:
petercordia

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 27th November 2017, 10:59

Why don't you like the fastest way to reach the Ecumenical temple?
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th November 2017, 11:19

FR: You start game at Ecumenical Temple entrance on D:7 but cannot enter previous floors without orb of zot.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 27th November 2017, 22:13

Yes because it breaks up the endless stairdancing and retreating.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 30th November 2017, 10:59

i tend to like shafting unless its obnoxiously early like on D2. Its a nice break from o tabbing.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 30th November 2017, 14:23

Falling 3 floors with a naga, from a floor with two portals, having one of them in LOS. Gf Hucsfv ggb
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 30th November 2017, 16:23

I've shafted Formicids down multiple floors to rush to temple before, its kind of fun in that its pretty tense, but otherwise I really don't care about it and its actually somewhat rare and seems fairly pointless in that a lot of times you can find stairs back up anyway. Its mostly just a luck thing, some people like randomness some people don't.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 30th November 2017, 17:04

It's annoying, I don't actively dislike it though.
Shafts have saved me from douches like Sigmund and that D:2 Orc priest, not gonna complain if I can accidentally fall down them every once in a while.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 20th December 2017, 12:40

So this happened last night:

"You fall through two floors!"
Entrance to Temple in LOS.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

For this message the author MainiacJoe has received thanks:
Majang

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 21st December 2017, 18:31

MainiacJoe wrote:So this happened last night:

"You fall through two floors!"
Entrance to Temple in LOS.

Taking "Temple Diving" to extreme sport status

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 11th October 2018, 10:34

I enjoy this kind of trap generally, but a timer going off for a Pyramid or Sewers upon landing in the new level is a bit of a bummer.

For this message the author HANFGEIST has received thanks: 2
Antares, petercordia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 11th October 2018, 19:40

The design of traps in general is terrible but shafts are 1. easily the least badly designed one, 2. really not that dangerous. Unavoidable deaths to shaft traps are vanishingly rare.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 12th October 2018, 08:46

Scuka wrote:What's the point of this game mechanic where you can randomly fall through 3 floors?

It mostly happens in the early game, where there's a huge spike in difficulty level between several floors. Also, that's the time when you still don't have the tools you would otherwise have to get out of an unexpected situation (skills, spells, consumables). Therefore, there's very little in terms of player skill present.
Also, since it happens mostly in the early game, you're not attached to your character yet, which means the dangerous situation you're randomly put in is not exciting but rather annoying and dying this way just feels like you've wasted the past 10 minutes and you're forced to go through the boring first few levels all over again to fight quokkas and bats.

Either way, falling through 3 floors leaves me feeling shitty without adding anything good to my gaming experience.

It's difficult, yes. But I strongly disagree that it's pointless or stupid. There's 101 ways to die early from bad luck: it's just the way this game works. We can either remove them all and then it becomes a trivial game, or accept that sometimes fate gives you a shit hand and it's up to you to find a way out of the hole you are in.

And as it was pointed out, it's not like it's a instant death. Scroll of mapping help a lot (after you found the first staircase at least you can start staircase dancing, so it makes higher levels easier). You can also use potion of haste or invisibility, and the ring of stealth to help you survive.

Personally I'm a lot more annoyed by Enrola (or whatever the name of the Ogre Mage is): a couple of times I met him somewhere like D:10 and got teleported in Abyss with a lvl 10-11 character. It wasn't an instant kill but it could as well have been. Or my pet peeve: weapon of distortion that imho should never send anyone in Abyss. You can encounter a stupid orc on lvl 4 with a dagger of distortion, and end up in Abyss. F%*king frustrating!

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 12th October 2018, 11:53

I usually 'like' being shafted, because it is exciting.

I once had an 'unavoidable' death from a shaft, when I fell into LOS of a few nasty monsters, and was surrounded. That was disappointing. The situation mentioned by HANGFEIST is also really annoying.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 12th October 2018, 15:18

Antares wrote:Personally I'm a lot more annoyed by Enrola (or whatever the name of the Ogre Mage is): a couple of times I met him somewhere like D:10 and got teleported in Abyss with a lvl 10-11 character. It wasn't an instant kill but it could as well have been. Or my pet peeve: weapon of distortion that imho should never send anyone in Abyss. You can encounter a stupid orc on lvl 4 with a dagger of distortion, and end up in Abyss. F%*king frustrating!

I assume that spending a turn in LOF of Erolcha can instantly kill me and act accordingly (if I can't leave lof I'll probably use a scroll of blinking or something). Kind of the same for orcs with weapons of distortion.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 25th October 2018, 18:17

I think the idea of shafting is cool, but I wish there were other ways for it to happen that don't involve stepping on a square.

Say, there was a kind of earth themed enemy that can do it to you, he could open up a temporal line of shafts, you can dodge them like you can dodge spider orbs, but if caught in a hallway there might be no way of avoiding it other than disabling the caster.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 25th October 2018, 18:20

HANFGEIST wrote:I enjoy this kind of trap generally, but a timer going off for a Pyramid or Sewers upon landing in the new level is a bit of a bummer.

Even worse is getting shafted as you are trying to make your wake to one of these portals

For this message the author Pereza0 has received thanks: 2
Rast, RoGGa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 25th October 2018, 22:39

This just happened to me (TeAr of Nemelex): On Lair:2, I got the message for an Ice Cave. I read magic mapping and headed for it. Fell through a shaft. Landed on Lair:3 and got the message for a Volcano. Read magic mapping. Both portals were half a level accross from stairs. Still, I managed to do first Ice Cave, then Volcano. Luckily the Ice Cave was a short one.

I also had neither rF+ or rC+ from any source. I am also on a streak :)
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
Nebukadnezar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 25th October 2018, 23:58

and I have a super hot girlfriend, no you wouldn't know her she goes to another school

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 26th October 2018, 00:00

duvessa wrote:and I have a super hot girlfriend, no you wouldn't know her she goes to another school

So how's her shaft?
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 14th December 2018, 19:51

Thinking back on my games (I have over 360 last I saw) there was maybe one unavoidable shaft trap death (got dumped between monsters before I could reasonably ID the few consumables I had...blind quaffs/reading didn't save me in time).

There were a few others I died after falling through a shaft but it would be pretty disingenuous to call them unavoidable deaths.

Zot traps have the most potential for unavoidable death by my estimation due to the threat of paralysis, but I'm not sure I've died to one yet. I got abyss 5'd by one in a game but wound up winning that run.

TP traps are worse than shafts and have killed me the most of any trap. Getting flung into monsters as a frail species where you're going to die in 1-2 actions is something you just don't always have the resources to survive. These are not good design but in 300+ deaths they're still < 5, including the shaft trap mentioned earlier.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner