Scythe thing

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 9th November 2017, 19:26

Scythe thing

Can scythes be a long range stabbing weapon that requires massive skill investment? or is it too unbalanced/edgy/something?

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 9th November 2017, 23:03

Re: Scythe thing

Sounds too complicated, unless it became an unrand-only weapon type.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 10th November 2017, 05:44

I dunno if it's too complicated but I don't think it would solve scythes being bad

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th November 2017, 06:40

Well, ranged stabbing is ridiculously powerful (Particularly if you can get it by training a skill that also gets you better at using actually good weapons), but having scythes suck less isn't really much of a priority afaict.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 23rd November 2017, 12:43

Evoke reach with partial cleaving in the three tiles forward (example, evoked to the right). That's what you do when you reap.

. . . x
. @. x
. . . x
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 23rd November 2017, 14:00

Just remove scythes already. Give Sigmund a halberd.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 23rd November 2017, 14:04

Off-topic, but scythes seem to mainly about flavor, so they can probably be removed if one simultaneously gives the relevant monsters reaching. Probably someone has proposed this already; if so, add my voice to that chorus.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 23rd November 2017, 16:56

I also am for removal/substitution. Otherwise, among the weird effects, there could be disarming.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 24th November 2017, 04:23

bel wrote:scythes seem to mainly about flavor, so they can probably be removed if one simultaneously gives the relevant monsters reaching.

But flavor cannot be entirely ignored here. Do you really want to have the (grim) reapers running around with halberds? They will go on strike!
Maɟaŋ

For this message the author Majang has received thanks:
Fingolfin

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 24th November 2017, 22:14

Keep scythes but give them halberd stats.

For this message the author Plantissue has received thanks:
Fingolfin

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 24th November 2017, 22:57

chequers wrote:Sounds too complicated, unless it became an unrand-only weapon type.

One-handed polearms already have a stab multiplier.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 25th November 2017, 00:36

Hellcrawl got around the problem of "what about Sigmund and reaper flavour" by giving those monsters base damage bonus equal to scythe and an innate reaching attack. So it looks like they have a scythe but they will never drop it.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 25th November 2017, 01:06

Lavandula wrote:
chequers wrote:Sounds too complicated, unless it became an unrand-only weapon type.

One-handed polearms already have a stab multiplier.
I thought all stab multipliers besides a shared one for all short blades were removed.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 25th November 2017, 04:55

Majang wrote:
bel wrote:scythes seem to mainly about flavor, so they can probably be removed if one simultaneously gives the relevant monsters reaching.

But flavor cannot be entirely ignored here. Do you really want to have the (grim) reapers running around with halberds? They will go on strike!

I did not say anything about halberds. I was essentially talking about the solution outlined above by chequers.

For this message the author bel has received thanks:
Majang

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 25th November 2017, 05:52

bel wrote:I did not say anything about halberds.

Not you, but crawlnoob did.
Maɟaŋ

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 25th November 2017, 09:37

Get rid of grim reapers.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 25th November 2017, 12:39

crawlnoob wrote:Get rid of grim reapers.

You're challenging fate here, man!
Maɟaŋ

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 26th November 2017, 10:08

Executioners are the only demons with scythes that are somewhat original, and they dont even technically have scythes. Why do we have grim reapers (and plural at that)? Why not an army of headless horsemen or a demonically possessed santa's workshop? For that matter, can we get pizza back in the game? Oh!, how about a new unique : the Ghost of Charles Dickens! He regails you with impossibly long and convoluted sentences that hang heavy with the depressing pall of an 18th century East London orphanage...

Get rid of scythes, they are uninteresting at best and a constant newbie trap at worst, and they simply do not fit well into the main weapons categories as they have been developing. Reflavor scythe-themed monsters when possible, otherwise just remove or replace them.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 27th November 2017, 00:40

could just give them cleave.

ranged cleave would be cool.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 27th November 2017, 15:51

Assuming scythes should remain in the game, is there an important reason for them to be bad weapons?
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 27th November 2017, 18:11

"It would be too good if you could get an endgame quality weapon from Sigmund"

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th November 2017, 19:02

njvack wrote:Assuming scythes should remain in the game, is there an important reason for them to be bad weapons?

If they weren't bad, people would be tempted to use them? :)
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Barkeep

Post Monday, 27th November 2017, 19:03

There's a lot of room between "endgame quality weapon" and "unambiguously bad weapon base type, except you won't realize that unless you really understand crawl's weapon mechanics, also it is very rare but drops from a notoriously dangerous unique so the game is hinting it's probably pretty good."

I don't understand Crawl's weapon mechanics well enough to *really* propose new numbers, but "better than a halberd but worse than a glaive" seems like a non-broken niche they could occupy while also making them not a "loooool ur using a scythe" weapon.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 2
Majang, nago

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 28th November 2017, 11:26

ten foot pole spear trident halberd scythe red-hot iron demon trident glaive bardiche pitbull-on-a-stick balderdash thingymcchopper

...clearly we need more polearms.

For this message the author crawlnoob has received thanks:
duvessa

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 28th November 2017, 13:34

crawlnoob wrote:...clearly we need more polearms.

This isn't about more polearms, but about re-designing existing polearms. There are at least as many maces/flails or long blades.
Maɟaŋ

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 29th November 2017, 08:21

The point is that there are too many weapons to make meaningful differentiation possible without resorting to absurd measures. Long blades and m&f have the same problem. It just ends up further confusing new players as to the age old and almost completely impossible to answer question : is weapon X better than weapon Y?

For this message the author crawlnoob has received thanks:
duvessa

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 29th November 2017, 19:17

Yeah, there are definitely too many weapons (probably too many weapon classes), which is a thing to talk about in another thread (say, the past threads that have already talked about this at some length). This thread is more "hey there is one particular weapon type that stands out for being very rare and (nonobviously) very bad, probably that is a bad niche for a weapon type to fill."

IMO, it'd be fine if Sigmund had a halberd and reapers had unarmed reaching — I mean, even Yiuf lost his hammers and demons already have a bunch of melee gimmicks. It'd also be fine if scythes were decent weapons. But the status quo is kind of weird.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 29th November 2017, 19:43

Reapers also have a chance for brand, though. Maybe they should just get a halberd with comparable enchantments.
The thing with Sigmund is that, while an early unique cannot drop too good a weapon, he is very likely to appear after a halberd armed gnoll anyway, or about at the same depth. Sigmund should just get a halberd, too.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 29th November 2017, 20:26

njvack wrote:Yeah, there are definitely too many weapons (probably too many weapon classes), which is a thing to talk about in another thread (say, the past threads that have already talked about this at some length). This thread is more "hey there is one particular weapon type that stands out for being very rare and (nonobviously) very bad, probably that is a bad niche for a weapon type to fill."
Other weapons are directly relevant to this topic. You yourself brought up halberds and glaives. If the only polearms in the game were spears and scythes, removing scythes would be a very different proposal.

Return to Game Design Discussion