Make food take 0 auts to eat.

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 11th November 2017, 21:24

Make food take 0 auts to eat.

By making food take 0 auts to eat it would effectively remove what little tactical significance food eating has, without the need to change the spell hunger system. It would also enable us to make an option (ideally on by default) that auto-eats chunks when hungry, and auto-eats permafood (from the smallest pile on the inventory) when starving. Meaning that a player would never need to hit e. Together with a possible removal of butcher, this seems like a good compromise between food removal and the status quo.
Yes, I play offline, tiles and stable. I am not l33t enough :_(

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 12th November 2017, 00:36

Re: Make food take 0 auts to eat.

Some time ago I thought of something related, that imho is the prosecution of your proposal.

Right now, there is a division between food and hunger: you have the food in your inventory and your hunger metre.

I think that this division should be deleted. Have food take no room in the inventory, and display a nutrition bar (or number) instead, which is filled as you collect food around the dungeon. It takes the place of both the hunger meter and food, unifying them.

When you perform an action, you directly consume nutrition. You never (e)at. The nutrition consumed depends on the action you performed. Maybe display something like 2300 (25), with 2300 being the total nutrition you have left, and (25) being the nutrition consumed by your last action. Give a Y/N warning the first time you swap a vampiric weapon, then just let the player do it.

This way you solve a problem which is hard to get around in game, which is the opaqueness of food: since there are five different food categories, each with a different nutrition value, it's hard to understand how much you actually need, so you can't take informed decisions unless you have a lot of player experience under your belt. You also solve the constant interruption due to eating, especially when travelling.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
Nasst

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 12th November 2017, 00:46

Shtopit wrote:Some time ago I thought of something related, that imho is the prosecution of your proposal.

Right now, there is a division between food and hunger: you have the food in your inventory and your hunger metre.

I think that this division should be deleted. Have food take no room in the inventory, and display a nutrition bar (or number) instead, which is filled as you collect food around the dungeon. It takes the place of both the hunger meter and food, unifying them.

When you perform an action, you directly consume nutrition. You never (e)at. The nutrition consumed depends on the action you performed. Maybe display something like 2300 (25), with 2300 being the total nutrition you have left, and (25) being the nutrition consumed by your last action. Give a Y/N warning the first time you swap a vampiric weapon, then just let the player do it.

This way you solve a problem which is hard to get around in game, which is the opaqueness of food: since there are five different food categories, each with a different nutrition value, it's hard to understand how much you actually need, so you can't take informed decisions unless you have a lot of player experience under your belt. You also solve the constant interruption due to eating, especially when travelling.

This seems like an amazing idea, it would also reduce inventory clutter. How would such a system deal with chunks?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 12th November 2017, 00:54

Shtopit wrote:Some time ago I thought of something related, that imho is the prosecution of your proposal.

Isn't this essentially the same as suggesting that the hunger display be changed to directly show your current nutrition level and all food be automatically eaten on pickup? That would make low-chunk branches pretty frustrating, I think.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 12th November 2017, 01:11

Nasst wrote:This seems like an amazing idea, it would also reduce inventory clutter. How would such a system deal with chunks?

The basic idea would be that of having an added number for nutrition from chunks, like 2300 - 45 - (30) with 2300 being the nutrition from permafood, 45 being the nutrition from chunks, and (30) the quantity you consumed with your last action. Maybe different colours, too.

I think that butchering corpses isn't very funny, though, so in general I'd be happier if instead there were a chance of having chunks dropped directly in your inventory/nutrition bar when you kill a monster. I am not sure of how this would influence Necromancy (& gods) gameplay.

Quazifuji wrote:Isn't this essentially the same as suggesting that the hunger display be changed to directly show your current nutrition level and all food be automatically eaten on pickup? That would make low-chunk branches pretty frustrating, I think.

No, because I would remove the current limit to how much you can eat. Right now, you have a limit at engorged, which is 12.000. I would remove this limit. You find 45 bread rations? Your nutrition is now 4.400x45 = 198.000. Is this the problem you are referring to?
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 12th November 2017, 01:54

This would be my take on your idea, Shtopit.

*Players have a "Long-term food reserve" and a "Short-term food" reserve.

*This would be displayed, numerically, to the player, as well as how much nutrition was consumed last turn.

*Picking up permafood adds to the Long-term food reserve, picking up chunks adds to the Short-term food reserve.

*Permafood adds to the Long-term food reserve the same amount of nutrition that they have right now.

*Chunks add to the Short-term food reserve 1000 nutrition -5 per each turn passed since the creation of the corpse/chunk (once 200 turns pass, the chunk is deleted from the floor).

*Neither long-term food reserve not short-term food reserve is capped, but the short-term food reserve decays at a rate that increases linearly with the amount of nutrition you have in it.

I still don't know what to do about ghouls.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 13th November 2017, 00:16

Yea, right, chunk-nutrition would still need its own mechanic. And, since the player mostly eats chunks, it would be the most important one. I think it needs some thought. Right now, the point of chunks is in the divide between hunger meter and satiation in food, which this proposal would delete.

Return to Game Design Discussion