FeVM of Ru - sacrificial advice

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 6th October 2017, 17:20

FeVM of Ru - sacrificial advice

I started up a FeVM following along with Ultraviolent's series. D2 yielded an altar of Ru. The first sacrifice was a no-brainer experience over two crippling options, and I'm sitting on two pips. Now on D:5 I have Skill (which seems very rough, but gives another two pips of piety), Purity - Screaming (which is trivial and will probably bork stealth), and Love (which surprisingly also gives another two pips of piety - it is usually trivial, is this enhanced for felids?). I have found no gear of note besides the starting Transmuter book. My skills are set for casting, dodging, and stealth. Will add fighting once Olgreb's is decently castable.

In the short-term, Love is the obvious choice since there is no immediate cost for the payoff. But I've no experience with felids, and can't help but wonder if locking out summonings/mirrors/boxes of beasts is going to make the game unwinnable several hours down the road. Is Skill the better choice? I don't want to reject sacrifices or take Screaming, as five pips may be necessary to deal with Lair threats.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 6th October 2017, 18:23

Re: FeVM of Ru - sacrificial advice

The thing with sacrificing love is that alllies are one of the strongest things in the game. But you rightly pointed out that you don't currently have access to them anyway.

Like any other species, Fe can win without allies of course. In the beginning of the game, the objective for Fe is really to get to a second life. Between Ru and extra lifes you should be fine. Getting Ru piety up quickly helps a lot to get to and through Lair branches.

I'm actually tempted to suggest skills though. You don't train that many skills as Fe^Ru. You're still good on Hexes, TLoc, Dodging and Stealth. UC and Fighting will be OK. You'll still be above average on TMut.

Skills will hurt you a bit now and later won't matter much. Love won't hurt you now, but could make your life really easy later, if you choose to use it. Although Summonings on -1 and elements at -2 could be a bit annoying.

Ultimately, I would go skills, because I like having allies. That said, I think it's better to sacrifice love and get a power boost now at now cost.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 6th October 2017, 19:07

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:The thing with sacrificing love is that alllies are one of the strongest things in the game. But you rightly pointed out that you don't currently have access to them anyway.

defen wrote:I have found no gear of note besides the starting Transmuter book.

Sticks to Snakes is a strong summons, and a felid isn't using those arrows for anything else.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

For this message the author MainiacJoe has received thanks: 3
4Hooves2Appendages, defen, nago

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 7th October 2017, 10:18

Very good point. I obviously missed that. Sacrifice skills, memorise S2S!

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 11th October 2017, 00:31

I took the hit to skills, and made it to lair. Still no further interesting gear pickups. Poison is about as far as I want to take it, starting to train up fighting/uc/transmut little by little. I also had to reject another sacrifice on the way wherein all options were crippling. Now I have the options of nimbleness/words/resistance. Sitting on four stars of piety. Should I sac words or reject again?

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 11th October 2017, 08:06

I'd say to skip, if you feel powerful enough to wait for full piety: going from 4* to 5* it's a good increase in Ru's power but not game-changing and not always worthy to take an heavy sac.
Because sac resist is probably quite cumbersome for a felid and words very dangerous (because you lost some of the best panic buttons in the game)
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks:
Blobbo

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 11th October 2017, 14:47

What are you hoping to sacrifice, and what are the odds of actually getting that, reasonably soon?

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 11th October 2017, 20:05

Courage, Eye, and some of the Purity stuff would be ok. Arcana if it doesn't touch Summons/Tmut/poison. Maybe drink (certainly safer than words, and Ru's ability does what the better potions do anyway) And I have an amulet of faith on, for lack of anything better.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too