*Contam and Zin

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 20th September 2017, 02:02

*Contam and Zin

It's nice of the game to warn me that taking off a *Contam artifact "could" put me under penance with Zin.

Would've been nicer if the game had warned me before putting it on, like it does for a gajillion other things!

The Wrath description led me to believe that as long as I !cancellation'ed off the mutagenic glow after unequip, I'd be fine with Zin.
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

For this message the author mattlistener has received thanks: 3
duvessa, nago, VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 20th September 2017, 11:11

Re: *Contam and Zin

There is some inconsistency here IMHO.
Undead/lichform characters cannot wield holy weapons at all, TSO characters can wield weapon of pain but cannot attack with it without getting penance, Chei characters can wear boots of running but every step costs piety, Zin characters can use *Contam items fine until they decide to take them off.
Why can't we just have all those gods work in one and the same way? Like "this known item is forbidden and you will be excommunicated instantly if you try to put it on" and "This item has just been identified and is forbidded by your god. Take it off as your next action or you will be excommunicated". "You are going to cast Magic Dart while wearing boots of running, that will make you abandon Chei immediately. Abandon Chei (y/N)"
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
nago

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 22nd September 2017, 09:19

I like these idiosyncracies, because they give some items/gods/species more character for lack of a better phrase, by adding an additional layer of differentiation.

I accept that it's not clean design, and likely difficult to justify on gameplay terms.

These specific interactions don't come up often enough to be a serious concern in any case.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 22nd September 2017, 10:42

It looks like a variant of the fact that you can wield a scroll without warning, and you will be warned if you try to attack with it. Gods could get a special warning in addition to the normal one, even without added keypresses (Are you sure that you want to equip that trident of draining? Its use could put you under penance!), maybe with god colour. It wouldn't help me because I mostly don't read text messages, but, at least, it would be there. You could also have a god-coloured flash when the message is displayed.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 22nd September 2017, 13:32

In my Zin game all necromancy-branded weapons were colored red, and I did get a warning if I tried to equip one.

Come to think of it, I wonder how the game handles distortion branded weapons under Zin. If you can equip them without Zin-related comment, but then get the same warning that unquipping it could put you under penance (due to the risk of mutagenic glow), then I think I'd have to cede my point about *Contam.
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 23rd September 2017, 19:59

I had a game recently where I accumlated a large pile of bad mutations, so I switched to Zin, reached full piety, then cleared them all. Somehow, I'm not sure how.. I think it was hell giving me glowing effect, I managed to get bad mutations again. It was very frustrating worshipping Zin, being stuck with the bad mutation, and then accumulating some mutation potions (which could likely have removed it) but not being able to drink them without incurring wrath. It seemed very backwards that the god of anti-mutations was the reason I could not get rid of a bad mutation. Zin used to allow drinking potions of cure mutation. I think perhaps, the cure all mutations ability should be reusable, just cost a hefty amount of piety.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 23rd September 2017, 20:05

I think there was a proposal in the past, that Zin should cure mutations as a passive over time. A bit like gifts with other gods, only you lose a mutation each time you'd receive a gift. It would correct this problem.
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 24th September 2017, 21:17

Shtopit wrote:I think there was a proposal in the past, that Zin should cure mutations as a passive over time. A bit like gifts with other gods, only you lose a mutation each time you'd receive a gift. It would correct this problem.

I really liked this and I thought this was actively being added. Did I get that wrong?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 24th September 2017, 21:50

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/8f7e939df157

So it looks like it is being done.

Return to Game Design Discussion