Orb as Götterdämmerung device

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

cba

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 17th September 2017, 00:12

Orb as Götterdämmerung device

Currently the orb lacks meaning and orb run is tedious.

1. Idea: Orb as a god-making thing, that is, if player manages to escape with orb, all existing pantheon will be destroyed and the player becomes a great god himself.
2. Mechanics: Once orb is taken, player loses his deity and gets wrath of all gods until he gets out or die.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 17th September 2017, 00:19

Re: Orb as Götterdämmerung device

You can't create meaning by telling a silly story. It does not matter "what happens" after you win the game. Strictly speaking, nothing happens, the game is just over.

The orbrun is indeed bad, but you should actually see what the simultaneous wrath of all or even several gods looks like before proposing it as a mandatory game mechanic.
*Lana Del Rey voice* , video games...

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 17th September 2017, 00:35

Idea: orb as a delicious sweet. It is like one of those German chocolates, or maybe a Swedish one, but of course the ingame flavor is it was made in Pandemonium.
Mechanics: instead of the orbrun, your character must (e)at the orb after picking it up in order to win the game. Has a side benefit of expanding upon the food system, one of crawl's many enticing gameplay features. Mummies would have to (a)bsorb the chocolate into their bandages over the course of several turns.

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks: 7
Airwolf, Blomdor, Implojin, Majang, mattlistener, nago, RBrandon

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 17th September 2017, 14:36

Compared to other roguelike dungeon crawls, I think the orb run is pretty good. Especially my first time, I was in a "HOLYSHITHOLYSHIT" sweat the whole way.

Having seen it a bunch of times, it's gotten old (though can still kill me).

I'd hope that it's retained but as one of N possible endgames, chosen at random.
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 17th September 2017, 15:06

watertreatmentRL wrote:You can't create meaning by telling a silly story. It does not matter "what happens" after you win the game. Strictly speaking, nothing happens, the game is just over.

The orbrun is indeed bad, but you should actually see what the simultaneous wrath of all or even several gods looks like before proposing it as a mandatory game mechanic.

Can't it be tested in wizard?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 17th September 2017, 19:38

Crawl in its current state aligns well with real life: all journeys come to an end regardless of personal success, leaving behind statistical records that do little to communicate the experience of the personal struggles we faced along the way. If we believe the gods must take retribution against individuals who have amassed great power, I think we should implement that in our own world before we do so in Crawl.

For this message the author roctavian has received thanks: 3
all before, Blomdor, pedritolo

Return to Game Design Discussion