Move staff of energy to scarf slot

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th August 2017, 07:45

Move staff of energy to scarf slot

Having staff of energy as weapon has the following problems:
1) makes spell hunger irrelevant at the cost of extra key presses. You can easily swap to it before casting Tornado or Dragon Call, for example.
2) it is a very bad melee weapon no matter what so you will need to swap weapons every time you want to melee. Compare to elemental staves (air/fire/earth/ice) which can be quite good with Evo/magic so they can be used without any weapon swapping if you want.
3) every caster wants to have staff of energy in inventory and use it during resting (getting even 1 MP at 0 Evo is better than nothing, so players have a cruel choice between optimizing their character and huge number of key presses and paying much attention). Some players even wrote lua script to automatically switch to staff of energy, repeatedly evoke it and stop instantly if monsters come into view.
4) having elemental staves makes weapon swapping even worse as you may want to switch to staff of energy for level 9 spells, swap to elemental staves for level 5-6 spells and swap to a lajatang or other normal weapon for melee.

All these problems are solved if we change staff of energy to scarf of energy. As extra bonus we will make cloak slot even more interesting. Do you want RMsl, spirit shield, rF+/rC+, hungerless spells, invisibility or just plain AC? That would increase variety between characters which is good IMHO.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks: 3
Gigaslurp, Hellmonk, nago

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 24th August 2017, 07:54

Re: Move staff of energy to scarf slot

My preference would be to remove spell hunger and staff of energy along with it, but otherwise moving it to a non-swappable slot sounds reasonable. I don't think the effect is very strong though so it could probably go on a cloak rather than a scarf.

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks: 4
archaeo, Gigaslurp, nago, VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th August 2017, 08:01

Yes, cloak can be good too, invisibility is more powerful and it is on a cloak.
We cannot move it to anything other than cloak/scarf/shield, otherwise some species won't be able to use it.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 24th August 2017, 08:05

Another option would be to just remove staff of energy. Although I would probably stop using higher level spells because the hunger management is just a little too annoying.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th August 2017, 08:28

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:Another option would be to just remove staff of energy. Although I would probably stop using higher level spells because the hunger management is just a little too annoying.

I wouldn't like the removal. Some players can dislike spell hunger so much that they may want to permanently use the item even if it is suboptimal.

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
Gigaslurp

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 24th August 2017, 09:28

Having hunger-less spells through scarf/cloak plus a spell-enhancer staff sounds like a considerable buff to me.
Maɟaŋ

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th August 2017, 09:44

Majang wrote:Having hunger-less spells through scarf/cloak plus a spell-enhancer staff sounds like a considerable buff to me.
Yes, it can make early game more fun if you are lucky with loot. Also Vehumet buff is not a bad thing probably

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 13th September 2017, 05:12

Staff of energy is much more valuable overall for channeling mana than it's hunger negating abilities. It is most notable for providing mana without risk of stat loss, confusion (if that's still a thing?) losing all your mana, or losing health from sublimate. Sublimate is also not available for some species and undead, lichform etc. At some point when you are casting a lot of level 9 spells, it is simply better to not lose the turns swapping to enhancer staff (and back again) versus cast+channel+cast+channel. Why? Because two level 9 spells will do a lot more damage than one level 9 spell with a little extra spell power. Also, at the point you're slinging those around, you're usually tapping mahkleb, tso or vehemet for mana/health on kill.

All that said, I've used staff of energy to negate spell hunger, but for me that is certainly not usually the primary use. If I could channel mana but not need the staff in main hand, that would be a huge buff for casting. I'd probably also never ever give Sif Muna a second look.

For this message the author svendre has received thanks:
Majang

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 13th September 2017, 12:13

VeryAngryFelid wrote:We cannot move it to anything other than cloak/scarf/shield, otherwise some species won't be able to use it.

Octopodes cannot use cloaks or scarves, can they?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 13th September 2017, 12:30

crawlnoob wrote:Octopodes cannot use cloaks or scarves, can they?

Yes, I forgot about it.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 13th September 2017, 12:44

I find I keep coming back to this, a lot of people are talking about it and it seems pretty good: Offhand staves with shield wearing mechanics. Folks,
*Lana Del Rey voice* , video games...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 13th September 2017, 14:11

crawlnoob wrote:
VeryAngryFelid wrote:We cannot move it to anything other than cloak/scarf/shield, otherwise some species won't be able to use it.

Octopodes cannot use cloaks or scarves, can they?

I think it would be great if octopodes (and felids) could wear scarves, as a complete aside to this thread.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 2
nago, TeshiAlair

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 13th September 2017, 17:03

Using staff of energy is very tolerable with a macro... But it's a pretty obnoxious item.

Return to Game Design Discussion