Staff of Hexes (or Charms)

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 9th September 2017, 18:39

Staff of Hexes (or Charms)

One up-side of enhancer staves is that several of them (fire, cold, air, poison) give a pip of resistance to the corresponding damage type.

As I'm taking my current character into the Vaults with only 1 available pip of mR+, I was thinking it'd be nice to have a 'Staff of Hexes'. My immediate selfish desire for such an item would be to convey a single pip of mR. But for those who branch into Hexes for spells like Confuse and/or Tukima's Dance, which seem broadly helpful and not tied lock-step with a stabber playstyle, I think a hexes staff would be nice for spellpower boost as well. I don't delve into hexes very often ... so I can't opine much on how many Hex-based spells are very spellpower-reliant.

I'd expect a few arguments here that some veterans would rather remove all enhancer staves, than add a new one. :) Or, a flavor-based argument that "Hexes are for stabbers, so putting a booster (and a corresponding mR+) property on a staff is illogical." Then we start exploring the concepts of another recent thread, that talked about some kind of off-hand enhancer for spellcasters.

TL;DR: Whether on a staff or on some new kind of caster off-hand item, please consider an item type that boosts Hexes and provides 1 pip mR+. Muchas gracias.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 9th September 2017, 20:26

Re: Staff of Hexes (or Charms)

So the problem with a hexer staff, specifically, is that the optimal use for such a staff, is to swap to your staff, hex something, then swap back to a dagger for stabbing, or if you're using some other weapon in conjuction with hexes, swap back to whatever that is.

Hexes are different from conjuration-focused schools in that you usually cast a single hex against a creature to give you an advantage, rarely do you kill things *directly* with hexes (with the exceptions of the ones that crossover to conjurations) as such, having a hex staff would encourage a whole lot of tedious swapping (particularly in the set of characters who primarily kill things with a weapon after hexing something) letting the hex staff *continue to give the character a benefit after it's unequipped* which is generally a decent litmus test for "is this prone to increase tedium"
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 9th September 2017, 20:57

I see your points about the swapping tedium.

Trying to remember how many different item types (non-artifact) can roll a MR+ ego. Hat ... cloak .... torso armour .... rings .... bucklers? Not sure about that last one.

Anywhoo ... it still would be nice if some hand-held non-artefact item conveyed both MR+ and a Hexes boost. A blade, an off-hand caster type item (a totem or voodoo doll?!?), etc. My current game headache is RNG-driven, da good stuff just has not dropped, so I'm a walking target for sentinel marks, paralysis or banishment on an otherwise pretty diesel character. Such is DCSS life.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 10th September 2017, 03:49

The natural receptacle for a hex enhancer ego would be daggers. There have been a number of proposals to move staves to the off-hand with wear/wield mechanics like shields. With that sort of system, a staff of hexes or charms or enchantments would be fine.

The argument that the connection between hexing and stabbing makes a swappable staff enhancer a bad idea is totally on target if you insist on existing dcss hex mechanics. To my mind, though, the strength of that connection suggests that the hex and the stab should be the same thing, in other words that hexes (i.e. the single target, line of fire based spells like confuse, slow, petrify, etc.) should work as duration spells that proc hex effects on melee attacks. This would radically curtail the spamminess of current hexes.
*Lana Del Rey voice* , video games...

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 10th September 2017, 04:46

OP, your idea is so great that they already did it. But then they removed it.

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Staff_of_enchantment

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 10th September 2017, 16:32

As another alternative, you could add a secondary effect to ring of magic resistance to enhance hexes and charms. I like the idea of a special dagger that boosts them, though.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 10th September 2017, 19:31

Sounds like a vampire dagger fixedart rework. Or SB could have hex power as unique ego instead of vorpal.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 10th September 2017, 21:10

watertreatmentRL wrote:The natural receptacle for a hex enhancer ego would be daggers. There have been a number of proposals to move staves to the off-hand with wear/wield mechanics like shields. With that sort of system, a staff of hexes or charms or enchantments would be fine.

The argument that the connection between hexing and stabbing makes a swappable staff enhancer a bad idea is totally on target if you insist on existing dcss hex mechanics. To my mind, though, the strength of that connection suggests that the hex and the stab should be the same thing, in other words that hexes (i.e. the single target, line of fire based spells like confuse, slow, petrify, etc.) should work as duration spells that proc hex effects on melee attacks. This would radically curtail the spamminess of current hexes.

So similar to confusing touch? That is a different, but also reasonable, approach to hexes.

However, i am not sure how you mean it avoids the swapping problem (unless it is predicated on the "put the hex enhancer property on daggers", but that handles the swapping issue by itself, without any changes to the mechanism of hexing)
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 11th September 2017, 04:33

Yes, like confusing touch without the weird accuracy and damage mechanics, more like a weapon branding spell.

On reflection, I guess dcss duration spells do not update spellpower continuously, but instead determine that at casting time. I had hellcrawl duration spell mechanics in mind when writing that. The drawback of having to train staves or apply hexes at a lower rate would deter the player from using the staff for this purpose under those mechanics. Of course, you may ask what other hexes you'd want spellpower for and there I have to admit there's limited scope.
*Lana Del Rey voice* , video games...

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 11th September 2017, 15:17

I would prefer it if staffs in particular (and weapons in general) did not give resistances or defences. It clogs up inventories (staff of air is often the only serviceable rElec source around) and often leads to lots of swapping. I concede that the benefits are usually marginal, but sadly that doesn't mean it isn't done.

Staffs increasing in power with XP-gain, including granting resistances, would be OK I guess. It would be better if fast-swap items did not carry powerful passive effects. Elemental Staff is the worst offender, but at least it's rare and one can dump a lot of other swappables immediately.
Last edited by 4Hooves2Appendages on Monday, 11th September 2017, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 11th September 2017, 15:24

Why not just make enhancer amulets, with a spellpower malus on the appropriate school when removed? Enhancers fit best IMO the design space that amulets are in now, that of a strategic choice with opportunity cost instead of swappable boosts.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 11th September 2017, 15:49

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:I would prefer it if staffs in particular (and weapons in general) did not give resistances or defences. It clogs up inventories (staff of air is often the only serviceable rElec source around) and often leads to lots of swapping. I conceded the the benefits are usually marginal, but sadly that doesn't mean it isn't done.

I'm often guilty of tedious hunts for the Staff of Air for this very reason. :). Primarily for Titans in V5 and electric golems and black draconians in Zot.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 11th September 2017, 20:05

Was there a reason why the staff of enchantment was removed? Was it to prevent an easy source of MR+ swapping once a rare item was found?

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 12th September 2017, 19:18

There's no explanation in the (very old) commit:

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/6 ... 85f952a88c

but I'd expect that and the "swap to this staff for increased hex / enchantment spell power, then switch back for killing dudes or whatever" is pretty un-crawl-like item design.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 12th September 2017, 21:25

njvack wrote:There's no explanation in the (very old) commit:

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/6 ... 85f952a88c

but I'd expect that and the "swap to this staff for increased hex / enchantment spell power, then switch back for killing dudes or whatever" is pretty un-crawl-like item design.

I vote then for baking the Hex+ and MR+ pairing into an unrand armour. Pick your favorite slot, scarves come to mind for me.

"Tukima's Psychedelic Scarf":
- Spellpower boost to Hexes
- MR+
- Reduce stealth somehow (Who really can sneak stealthily wearing such a hypnotically multi-hued garment?)

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 13th September 2017, 20:57

"Tom Baker's Psychedelic Scarf"

Return to Game Design Discussion