Regarding Natasha

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 23rd August 2017, 10:03

Regarding Natasha

Could Natasha, when using CTRL+O, show up on the dungeon level she is at if you haven’t killed her all 3 times pls?

Like Boris, she isn´t dead the first (or even second) time she dies, but unlike Boris she always respawns on the same level until finally killed a third time and keeping track of her especially if there are multiple bosses on same level can be dicey.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd August 2017, 11:08

Re: Regarding Natasha

I think current situation is better for new players who may be amazed first time when they meet Natasha again.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 23rd August 2017, 12:08

The amount of new players that actually use ctrl+o in between killing Natasha for the first time and seeing her alive must be in the promille.

For this message the author le_nerd has received thanks: 3
duvessa, Fingolfin, Pekkekke

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd August 2017, 12:17

I think there is an option to make everyone happy. Add Natasha to Ctrl-O after you go to next level (downstairs, not upstairs). New players still can be amazed, experienced players do not need to remember which floor it was.

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
Majang

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 23rd August 2017, 13:46

New or old player, sometimes you may be amazed to see a resurrected Natasha on the next level - happened to me a couple of times. I presume she fell through a shaft.
Maɟaŋ

For this message the author Majang has received thanks: 2
Terrapin, VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd August 2017, 14:01

Majang wrote:New or old player, sometimes you may be amazed to see a resurrected Natasha on the next level - happened to me a couple of times. I presume she fell through a shaft.

Good point. It happened to me once as well. It looks like we cannot implement suggestion from OP as it is wrong info sometimes.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 23rd August 2017, 14:17

VeryAngryFelid wrote:
Majang wrote:New or old player, sometimes you may be amazed to see a resurrected Natasha on the next level - happened to me a couple of times. I presume she fell through a shaft.

Good point. It happened to me once as well. It looks like we cannot implement suggestion from OP as it is wrong info sometimes.

You can get wrong info anyway: if last time you saw a unique was in D:2, you avoided him, he went for a walk and fell into a shaft, you could have the ! on D:2, but find him on D:3.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd August 2017, 14:20

Shtopit wrote:You can get wrong info anyway: if last time you saw a unique was in D:2, you avoided him, he went for a walk and fell into a shaft, you could have the ! on D:2, but find him on D:3.

You did see that unique on D:2. If you see Natasha again, it will be added to Ctrl-O screen too.

Edit. I mean Ctrl-O displays data which you already know from your current game (or data which is supposed to help you to find entrance to another branch), not from source code or previous games.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 23rd August 2017, 15:13

You could also make her spawn a random number of times instead of a fixed 3.

I always kinda wished she got stronger each time she spawned instead of weaker though I guess that's not how felids work.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd August 2017, 18:38

johlstei wrote:I always kinda wished she got stronger each time she spawned instead of weaker though I guess that's not how felids work.

As of 0.18 she doesn't get weaker anymore. (Not stronger either I assume.)
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 24th August 2017, 20:36

I seem to often find uniques on different floors. Once I memorably avoided Urug, then went back later the the javelins and found her three or four floors below where I'd left her. Are shafts the only way this happens, or do avoided uniques search for you? (I know ninja'd Hell/Pan rune lords follow you, I'm talking 3-rune game uniques).
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th August 2017, 21:54

It's just shafts.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 4th September 2017, 10:59

Please make Natasha automatically track you down after you kill her once. Obviously sneaky characters should be able to hide, but give her some souped up tracking ability so she can at least get close to their position.

There is nothing more obnoxious than trying to find her again, not once, but twice, on a usually cleared level. She often drops a potion, so players are encouraged to go through this tedium (she is also worth XP and regardless many players will feel compelled to finish the job). Alternatively, just remove her (and felids) because she (and felids) represent a complete and frankly unjustified break from one of Crawl's central mechanics : permadeath.

At least Boris is a lich and has an excuse and comes back on a different level and tells you he isn't finished with you.

For this message the author crawlnoob has received thanks: 5
duvessa, Rast, Terrapin, TeshiAlair, VeryAngryFelid

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 4th September 2017, 14:39

X ctrl-F Y o
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

Return to Game Design Discussion