New background: Annihilator (Vehumet zealot)

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 2nd August 2017, 12:14

New background: Annihilator (Vehumet zealot)

We already have a warrior zealot (Berserker), so it would be nice to have a mage counterpart.

I propose adding a Vehumet zealot:
Annihilators[1] are offensive mages who worship Vehumet, who enhances their command of the hermetic arts and offers them knowledge of increasingly powerful destructive spells.

Start:
  • Magic Dart memorized
  • * Vehumet piety
  • Vehumet immediately offers you the first spell gift
  • Equipment: Robe, bread ration (no book)
  • Stats: +7 Intelligence and +5 Dexterity
  • Skills:
    • Dodging: 2
    • Stealth: 2
    • Spellcasting: 2
    • Conjurations: 4

I think it would make an interesting background, because instead of a fixed book you get random spell offers to which you have to adapt.
Not investing in the skills needed for offered spells would be riskier than normal, as you don't have your guaranteed book spells to fall back on if the next offer proves to be useless.

[1]Bikeshedding: name
  • Annihilator (An)
  • Sorcerer (So/Src)
  • Knight of Destruction (KD)
  • Warlock (Wa/WL)

Edit:
  • Removed the bit about changing conjurer into this, added start equipment/skills/stats, list of names
  • "Skipping spells" -> "Not investing in skills" (hadn't realised there is plenty of ?amnesia to go round)
Last edited by rigrig on Thursday, 3rd August 2017, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author rigrig has received thanks: 5
Fingolfin, ichbins, Majang, NhorianScum, sdynet

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 2nd August 2017, 21:12

Re: Turn Conjurers into Vehumet Zealots

I'd have fun with this background. I imagine a lot of people would.

This proposal is better if you don't require it to change conjurer into this background (you are arguing 2 things, cj should be removed and vehu zealot added, when you really just want to argue vehu zealot should be added).

I don't see the devs adding another zealot. Berserker is pretty divisive as it stands.

For this message the author edgefigaro has received thanks: 3
rigrig, Shard1697, VeryAngryFelid

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 3rd August 2017, 05:12

I don't really have a problem with a Vehumet zealot, and it is an interesting idea, though I am not sure I like it.
rigrig wrote:Skipping an offered spell would be riskier than normal, as you don't have your guaranteed book spells to fall back on if the next offer proves to be useless.

Why would one skip an offered spell? Just learn it and amnesia it later if required. However, if one rephrases the statement to "learn the spell and practice the spell schools to make it worth casting", then the statement becomes true and valid to an extent.

As an aside, imo, Vehumet gifts should be in the form of spellbooks (or otherwise permanent means) anyway. Gifting through the "M" screen is awkward and serves no purpose. As far as I can see, the only reason it works that way is because perhaps people thought that it would be too similar to Sif gifting books. Whether this was true in the past or not is not important; it's clearly not the case now. It would be similar to arguing that Trog and Oka are similar because they both offer gifts.

Edit: fixed typo and elaborated a bit.
Last edited by bel on Thursday, 3rd August 2017, 05:16, edited 2 times in total.

For this message the author bel has received thanks: 4
Hellmonk, nago, rigrig, VeryAngryFelid

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 3rd August 2017, 05:13

FR: call this class shahids.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 3rd August 2017, 07:28

Knights of Destruction
Maɟaŋ

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 3rd August 2017, 09:32

bel wrote:Why would one skip an offered spell? Just learn it and amnesia it later if required.

Gifting through the "M" screen is awkward and serves no purpose. As far as I can see, the only reason it works that way is because perhaps people thought that it would be too similar to Sif gifting books.
I think the idea was that you would have a meaningful choice between learning a marginally useful spell now, or preserving your spell slots hoping for a better offer. Even without book destruction there still seems to be too much amnesia around for this to really matter though.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 3rd August 2017, 09:33

Re: New background: Annihilator (Vehumet zealot)

And of course you can just hang around in temple to drop your piety.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 5th August 2017, 04:11

That sounds really cool. I'd play it.

For this message the author Reptisaurus has received thanks:
Fingolfin

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 5th August 2017, 15:07

I'd play it! Non-book "caster" start is interesting. Book-based early games are getting repetitive.
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 5th August 2017, 15:31

I thought I had responded to this or something like it recently, but maybe not. I don't think it's a bad idea in principle to have a magic flavored zealot background. The idea here seems to be some kind of middle ground between an elementalist and a wanderer. The problem I see is that Vehumet gifts all do roughly the same things with few exceptions. Those exceptions are a subset of the spells in elementalist books that give those backgrounds what distinctive character they have.

I see this proposal as not essentially different from giving the player a bunch of different weapons at the start and a little skill in each type. Is it interesting figuring out which weapon type you want to use? Not that interesting in my experience with wanderers. But it would be worse than that because there your selection would be influenced by a large number of weapons that spawn on the floor, whereas Vehumet gifts are sporadic and books are few.

A magic-y wanderer type that would produce different, maybe even interesting, games on a regular basis would be a Sif zealot with randart book. Of course, sif actually does something early in the game, unlike Vehumet, so there's a balance consideration.
*Lana Del Rey voice* , video games...

For this message the author watertreatmentRL has received thanks:
emikaela

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 5th August 2017, 21:40

One argument for this background is that it requires low effort to implement for testing in trunk, unless it's deemed absolutely necessary to update online scoring as well. If we can have separate backgrounds for every low level spell book in the game save for Cantrips, we might as well have a Vehumet zealot background too.

I'd at least give it a try.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 5th August 2017, 21:46

I will be very, very surprised if the devs will add a new zealot background. We used to have several zealot backgrounds (rip priest, paladin, healer, death knight) and all bar three have been removed.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 6th August 2017, 19:25

Do you know why?
Maɟaŋ

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 6th August 2017, 19:46

i don't really like zealots because (rightly or wrongly) i tend to think of crawl's gods as being gods of the dungeon... they exist in the dungeon because of ...something something zot whatever... and your character meets them there for the first time.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 6th August 2017, 20:56

Majang wrote:Do you know why?

At the time the discussions i recall centered around zealots resulting in less variation and being more boring, generally, adaption being considered a virtue in making games feel more distinct from each other, and god choice being something that was meaningful and impactful (in particular, the choice to take an early altar you hadn't anticipated taking) being good for the game, and most zealots removing that aspect of the game with no real recompense in terms of unique game play being added.

The zealots that remain were judged "distinct enough" in game play that they could stay.

I could be misremembering some details though.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 6th August 2017, 21:50

rigrig wrote:We already have a warrior zealot (Berserker), so it would be nice to have a mage counterpart.

• Annihilator (An)
  • Sorcerer (So/Src)
  • Warlock (Wa/WL)

Why knight, and not mystic, occultist, scholar or just destroyer? Vehumet doesn't even seem to have any subjects and generally seems to have teacher vibe.
The rest of titles are already used in the game.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 7th August 2017, 01:53

I like this idea because unlike other zelots you have a fair amount of variation between games because of variable spell gifts. You are encouraged to adapt in a different manner than most backgrounds.

EDIT: and a lot more adaptation required than Be.
Last edited by WingedEspeon on Monday, 7th August 2017, 04:20, edited 1 time in total.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 7th August 2017, 02:28

Lavandula wrote:
rigrig wrote:We already have a warrior zealot (Berserker), so it would be nice to have a mage counterpart.

• Annihilator (An)
  • Sorcerer (So/Src)
  • Warlock (Wa/WL)

Why knight, and not mystic, occultist, scholar or just destroyer? Vehumet doesn't even seem to have any subjects and generally seems to have teacher vibe.
The rest of titles are already used in the game.

Sage of destruction :)
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 7th August 2017, 05:48

We could play on Vehumet's teaching theme with "Apprentice of Destruction (AD)"
Maɟaŋ

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 7th August 2017, 11:26

"Vehuman"

or

"Vehuperson" if you are into that sort of things :P

Mystic Blaster...

I kinda like the variation aspect, but I never have been able to use many spells given by Veh. I'm not sure it would work well, although it cannot be said without playtesting. Maybe there could be a window in which you choose a book with two conj spells (like with choosing weaponry with meleers). Ideally, the two conj should come from different elemental schools.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 7th August 2017, 13:45

Rightly or wrongly, the odds are much greater that a zealot class will be removed before another is added. If Jivya can't get a slime knight, there's no chance that Vehumet (who has a guaranteed altar in the early part of the dungeon) is, or really should, get one.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 7th August 2017, 16:08

It's a shame because a lot of people seem to find the idea intriguing or fun enough.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 7th August 2017, 16:09

This is definitely the most interesting Zealot as unlike Be it actually has interesting implications. The only reason the other two zealots are interesting is that 1. Lucy is nontrivial to workship otherwise. 2. the branded weapon for CK. Be is just "let's make a Gladiator worship Trog at level 1 rather than level 5."
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

For this message the author TeshiAlair has received thanks:
Shard1697

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 7th August 2017, 16:09

Plantissue wrote:It's a shame because a lot of people seem to find the idea intriguing or fun enough.

Yeah, I have no strong opinion on it either way. It's just almost certainly not going to be put through for the above reason.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 7th August 2017, 16:13

TeshiAlair wrote:This is definitely the most interesting Zealot as unlike Be it actually has interesting implications. The only reason the other two zealots are interesting is that 1. Lucy is nontrivial to workship otherwise. 2. the branded weapon for CK. Be is just "let's make a Gladiator worship Trog at level 1 rather than level 5."

I honestly think that if Zealots are going to be a thing that allows you to worship "boutique" gods, Berserkers shouldn't exist (and Slime Knights should). Berserkers only exist to aid newbies, but that a) gives the impression that Xom and Lugonu are also newbie gods (which they aren't) and b) neglects the fact that fighters are ALREADY a strong background. It also skews new players into Trog and encourages the bad habits that having Trog at D:1 gives you.

This whole conversation points at a slightly different problem, which is that Gods as a whole probably need a significant rework.

For this message the author Factorialite has received thanks:
mrob

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 7th August 2017, 16:18

Factorialite wrote:
Plantissue wrote:It's a shame because a lot of people seem to find the idea intriguing or fun enough.

Yeah, I have no strong opinion on it either way. It's just almost certainly not going to be put through for the above reason.

It would require a convincing argument that it adds more than it detracts, such an argument could be made, i am not sure if it would be convincing.

Also it would be more likely to get into dev discussions (and be decided upon one way or the other) if someone who was enthusiastic about it submitted a patch.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 8th August 2017, 18:58

I suspect a background that could choose any god at the start of the game, would be one of the most popular. Wouldn't that in itself be worthwhile?

For this message the author 4Hooves2Appendages has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 8th August 2017, 19:18

Factorialite wrote:Berserkers only exist to aid newbies, but that a) gives the impression that Xom and Lugonu are also newbie gods (which they aren't)

Why? Unlike CK and AK, Be is showcased in tutorial.
I agree that slime yogi should be a thing.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 8th August 2017, 19:40

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:I suspect a background that could choose any god at the start of the game, would be one of the most popular. Wouldn't that in itself be worthwhile?

Oh yes. Let's call it Priest.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 8th August 2017, 21:07

Lavandula wrote:
Factorialite wrote:Berserkers only exist to aid newbies, but that a) gives the impression that Xom and Lugonu are also newbie gods (which they aren't)

Why? Unlike CK and AK, Be is showcased in tutorial.
I agree that slime yogi should be a thing.

All three are in the Zealot category, which for better or worse infers that they are similar starts to the unspoiled player.

For this message the author Factorialite has received thanks:
duvessa

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 8th August 2017, 21:07

And then we can remove Monk. Finally.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 8th August 2017, 21:29

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:I suspect a background that could choose any god at the start of the game, would be one of the most popular. Wouldn't that in itself be worthwhile?

Popular doesn't imply worthwhile (from a game design perspective) a level 1 item that instantly kills anything in the game with 0 risk might be popular, it would not make the game better.

That isn't to say that popular isn't also valuable, it just isn't the same thing.

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 9th August 2017, 04:57

I don't see how it would be worse than Be but I do see how it can be better: new players can compare gods more easily.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
Majang

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 9th August 2017, 06:57

Since this proposed background would come with the same stats for each start, it would be biased probably more towards all-round Gods like Gozag or Chei. Strategies that require a very focused stat development (and that would be the strategy to pursue when choosing Vehumet, for example) would find the starting stats to be rather mediocre. It would not make sense to have a choose-your-god-background with the pre-set high INT I would want for a Vehumet start. Which in the end means that there would still be no good background with Vehumet as the starting god.
Maɟaŋ

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 9th August 2017, 07:03

Majang wrote:Since this proposed background would come with the same stats for each start, it would be biased probably more towards all-round Gods like Gozag or Chei. Strategies that require a very focused stat development (and that would be the strategy to pursue when choosing Vehumet, for example) would find the starting stats to be rather mediocre. It would not make sense to have a choose-your-god-background with the pre-set high INT I would want for a Vehumet start. Which in the end means that there would still be no good background with Vehumet as the starting god.

I'm not sure why you would make that presumption, Be has a focused stat allotment, I don't see why a theoretical Vehumet zealot wouldn't as well...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 9th August 2017, 07:45

Actually it can be Wanderer. Random skills, random equipment. Why not random god?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 9th August 2017, 07:45

Siegurt wrote:

Popular doesn't imply worthwhile (from a game design perspective) a level 1 item that instantly kills anything in the game with 0 risk might be popular, it would not make the game better.

That isn't to say that popular isn't also valuable, it just isn't the same thing.

I disagree. Popular features in games imply that an appreciable number of players enjoy the feature. Granted, this isn't universal, but probably largely holds true. Considering that games are ultimately about enjoyment, that makes it worthwhile to have popular features in games. Of course we can debate the potential negative consequences on other aspects of the game, and try to come to a balanced view.

One could argue that enjoyment isn't as important as good design, by whatever standard, but seems to be the path to a more specialised niche game with fewer players. More than is already the case, given the circumstances.

For this message the author 4Hooves2Appendages has received thanks: 2
Majang, VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 9th August 2017, 07:56

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:
Siegurt wrote:

I disagree. Popular features in games imply that an appreciable number of players enjoy the feature. Granted, this isn't universal, but probably largely holds true. Considering that games are ultimately about enjoyment, that makes it worthwhile to have popular features in games. Of course we can debate the potential negative consequences on other aspects of the game, and try to come to a balanced view.

One could argue that enjoyment isn't as important as good design, by whatever standard, but seems to be the path to a more specialised niche game with fewer players. More than is already the case, given the circumstances.

Popular also doesn't imply enjoyable. Tedious, grindy behavior is popular particularly in some games, but it's not enjoyable, it's just an effective way to win. People are frequently willing to sacrifice enjoyment for success.

I am not saying popular features *can't* be enjoyable, or that they *can't* be good design, I am saying one doesn't imply the other, the best features are ones that would be popular, enjoyable, *and* good design, I am simply saying that just because something is one doesn't necessarily mean it's the other..

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 9th August 2017, 08:08

I believe there is some misunderstanding here. Word "popular" has at least 2 meanings:
1) What people want to do because they enjoy it.
2) What people do because they want to win, no matter if they enjoy it or not.
Popular features with first meaning are ALWAYS GOOD design features. Examples: being able to play DCSS, being able to speedrun, being able to play without spells, being able to play without melee, being able to play with specific god etc.
Popular features with second meaning can be BAD (people don't enjoy them) OR GOOD (people do enjoy them or just don't care) design features indeed. Examples of bad features: luring, Xom gifts farming, XP farming, Abyss farming, eating (as pure melee)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 9th August 2017, 14:33

VeryAngryFelid wrote:I believe there is some misunderstanding here. Word "popular" has at least 2 meanings:
2) What people do because they want to win, no matter if they enjoy it or not.
Popular features with first meaning are ALWAYS GOOD design features. Examples: being able to play DCSS, being able to speedrun, being able to play without spells, being able to play without melee, being able to play with specific god etc.
Popular features with second meaning can be BAD (people don't enjoy them) OR GOOD (people do enjoy them or just don't care) design features indeed. Examples of bad features: luring, Xom gifts farming, XP farming, Abyss farming, eating (as pure melee)

Generally speaking i more heavily associate "popular" with "Selected by a large number of people" irrespective of whether they enjoy it. My view may be colored by watching too much politics.

But it does derive from the same latin root as "people" and "populous" the emphasis does seem to be on the "large number of people" factor, with it being a general presumption that a large number of people would usually only select something if they like or enjoy it (which can be false)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 9th August 2017, 14:37

You are correct of course. I meant that "large number of people select" to do some things for 2 main reasons: they enjoy it or they just want to win (i.e. they enjoy winning, not necessarily the actual things they selected to do to win) and we should distinguish those two types of things/people.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 9th August 2017, 16:11

Siegurt wrote:
Majang wrote:Since this proposed background would come with the same stats for each start, it would be biased probably more towards all-round Gods like Gozag or Chei. Strategies that require a very focused stat development (and that would be the strategy to pursue when choosing Vehumet, for example) would find the starting stats to be rather mediocre. It would not make sense to have a choose-your-god-background with the pre-set high INT I would want for a Vehumet start. Which in the end means that there would still be no good background with Vehumet as the starting god.

I'm not sure why you would make that presumption, Be has a focused stat allotment, I don't see why a theoretical Vehumet zealot wouldn't as well...

Sorry, I was not clear what I was talking about. The earlier proposed Vehumet Zealot/Annihilator would of course have good stats. My remark was about the later proposed background where you could choose your God. It would only work if you also had a "weapon-choice" menu where you can select your highest stat to begin with...
Maɟaŋ

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 9th August 2017, 19:49

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:I disagree. Popular features in games imply that an appreciable number of players enjoy the feature. Granted, this isn't universal, but probably largely holds true. Considering that games are ultimately about enjoyment, that makes it worthwhile to have popular features in games. Of course we can debate the potential negative consequences on other aspects of the game, and try to come to a balanced view.

VeryAngryFelid wrote:I believe there is some misunderstanding here. Word "popular" has at least 2 meanings:

*a deep, guttural voice emanates from under the ground* "mountain dwarves"

For this message the author CanOfWorms has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Gigaslurp

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 9th August 2017, 20:38

Getting away from this popularity distraction and back to the OP:

I like the idea of a vehu zealot with no book for 2 reasons.

(1) Vehu zealot forces some adaptability by the player due to variance in spell gifts. Some book starts (IE, Su) have everything a player needs to get through lair, others (VM, Wz) have most of what you need but a few holes. Still, the player has the reliability of a complete or mostly complete starting book to build through the early game. Vehu zealot trades book reliability for god prowess. A vehu zealot is forced to adapt through the early game according to god gifts in a way that currently is not in the game, and I believe this has the potential for interesting play.

(2) Vehu zealot provides a means by which newer players can try out spells. I remember my first summon forest game. I was on a character that had either summoning or tloc and found summon forest early. I spammed it through a game just to get a feel for it. It was a fun learning experience, I ended up making a post about it on the forum.

"But edge, vehu is already in the game. Players can just pick vehu and learn."

You are asking players to (1) start a caster background (2) make it to a vehu altar and (3) get piety high enough that they start learning new spells. A vehu zealot specifically makes this process easier and more accessible.

Caveat: There is potential that a vehu zealot is simply a bad start, in which case vehu zealot may not make this process easier. I dunno though. I played alot of monks as a new player, and that is a very bad start to learn gods.

For this message the author edgefigaro has received thanks: 2
rigrig, VeryAngryFelid

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 9th August 2017, 21:07

Thinking about this a bit... as much as I feel that zealot starts should only be used in extreme circumstances, I kind of like the idea of a bookless conjurer start.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 9th August 2017, 22:09

CanOfWorms wrote:*a deep, guttural voice emanates from under the ground* "mountain dwarves"

Appropriate username.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 10th August 2017, 05:58

CanOfWorms wrote:*a deep, guttural voice emanates from under the ground* "mountain dwarves"

It is off-topic in this thread but I don't see contradiction with what I wrote. Having a race which is enjoyed by most players is a good design decision. Having another race which is enjoyed by most players is a good design decision too. What is bad here is UI design for selecting species for historical (read "console") reasons.
Properly written games have all "aptitudes", "stats", "abilities" etc. externalized in separate resource files for easy modding (1 single file/zip per species!) so devs don't suffer from having to support permanently growing source code and source divers don't need to look into 5+ files to get an idea what species has and can do.
Properly written games allow users to see all relevant information during species selection, not in a several huge tables in a text-only manual with lacking searching/navigation options. You might even color-code things which are different from previously checked species so players could compare Te to DE or TeCj to DECj easily!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 10th August 2017, 07:17

VeryAngryFelid wrote:Properly written games allow users to see all relevant information during species selection, not in a several huge tables in a text-only manual with lacking searching/navigation options.

While I agree that help/manual things should be searchable in game, it's nice to know that since they *are* text files, you can open them in your favorite text editor, and do any/all of your searching and navigating that you desire, I readily admit that is not a solution but it is a helpful workaround, for people who don't know.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 10th August 2017, 07:44

Siegurt wrote:While I agree that help/manual things should be searchable in game, it's nice to know that since they *are* text files, you can open them in your favorite text editor, and do any/all of your searching and navigating that you desire, I readily admit that is not a solution but it is a helpful workaround, for people who don't know.

Yes, it's helpful but it cannot be seriously compared to:
TeCj DECj
HP -20% -20%
MP +1 +2
Fighting 0 -2
Int 15 19
Those 4 rows are generated from 5 different places/tables which is fast and reliable to get automatically but time-consuming and error-prone to create manually no matter what text editor you use.

I suspect it might be much easier to convince players that removing mountain dwarfs was a good thing if such comparison could be done for MDFi and HOFi right in the game start screen

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 10th August 2017, 09:19

I think this is most of a potential patch.

job-data.h
  Code:
{ JOB_ANNIHILATOR, {
    "An", "Annihilator",
    0, 7, 5,
    { SP_DEEP_ELF, SP_NAGA, SP_TENGU, SP_BASE_DRACONIAN, SP_DEMIGOD, SP_FELID},
    { "robe" },
    WCHOICE_NONE,
    { { SK_CONJURATIONS, 4 }, { SK_SPELLCASTING, 2 }, { SK_DODGING, 2 },
      { SK_STEALTH, 2 }, },
} },

crawl-ref/source/ng-restr.cc