Unarmed or a +10 Demon Blade (freeze, MR+)?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 27th July 2017, 21:28

Unarmed or a +10 Demon Blade (freeze, MR+)?

Character is a Vine Stalker of Okawaru (for Heroism, not for weapon gifts, i swear…), level 12, 12.2 UC, blade hands are not online, no notable (or any) mutations. The Labyrintine Minotaur (not even Okawaru) drops a demon blade described in the title (good thing i didn't hold back on heroism and finesse before unarmed-stabbing him, or i'd be toast). Now i'm stuck trying to decide whether to train long blades until the sword slaughters everything, or put the experience i'd waste on that into UC and Blade Hands until they slaughter everything anyway. What's the smart thing to do?

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 27th July 2017, 21:52

Re: Unarmed or a +10 Demon Blade (freeze, MR+)?

Getting the demon blade to mindelay will take a lot less xp than maxing out unarmed plus getting blade hands online. .6 weapon delay + antimagic bite is pretty devastating, and if you don't use a shield you'll also get a decent offhand punch from the 12 UC.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th July 2017, 05:00

Offhand punch will not be that great, it was tested recently. if you are planning for extended, go for UC. Otherwise long blades
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 28th July 2017, 07:26

I'd go for the demon blade, at least for now. Maybe later you'll have a lot of spare XP.

I suspect the blade does more damage right now, even without any training. At LB 7 (i.e. 12 with Heroism) it'll be similar speed to your current UC (~0.7 with Heroism), but with much higher damage. Blade Hands will outperform it eventually, but in the meantime you can use heavy armour and save that transmutation XP.

The blade also has a better hit chance right now. (Does hit chance scale at all with UC?)

For myself, I'd likely stick with blades for the rest of the game and never look back.
Last edited by 4Hooves2Appendages on Friday, 28th July 2017, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th July 2017, 07:31

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:The blade also has a better hit chance right now. (Does hit chance scale at all with UC?)

From wiki:
Add a random roll from 0 to your weapon skill (unarmed is considered a weapon skill here).

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 28th July 2017, 07:42

Right, that makes with my experience that unarmed feels less accurate than weapons.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th July 2017, 07:55

True, it's really rare to see someone using +0 weapon with negative base accuracy (like exec. axe) so weapon itself does add extra accuracy.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice