List your favourite builds

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2011, 00:06

Re: List your favourite builds

Another new favorite build in trunk: MiPr of Oka.

Why Pr? Well, you get to start with a quarterstaff. They've been buffed to 10/3/130 in trunk... this is absolutely insane for the early game. That two extra base damage is awesome. You can bash your way through anything in the early game within reason. Once you get to the Temple, you can worship Oka, who'll boost your combat and eventually hand over a latwhatever.
You see here a dire elephant corpse.
You start butchering the dire elephant corpse with your claws.
You continue butchering the corpse.
You are engulfed in roaring flames. You stop butchering the corpse.
You die...

For this message the author Un67 has received thanks: 3
AtT, pratamawirya, srulz

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2011, 10:39

Un67 wrote:Another new favorite build in trunk: MiPr of Oka.

Why Pr? Well, you get to start with a quarterstaff. They've been buffed to 10/3/130 in trunk... this is absolutely insane for the early game. That two extra base damage is awesome. You can bash your way through anything in the early game within reason. Once you get to the Temple, you can worship Oka, who'll boost your combat and eventually hand over a latwhatever.

Why not start as artificer then? They have wands on top of quarterstaff.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2011, 11:02

Curio wrote:
Un67 wrote:Another new favorite build in trunk: MiPr of Oka.

Why not start as artificer then? They have wands on top of quarterstaff.

Artificers start with a staff, not a quarterstaff.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2011, 13:06

Also, a Priest starts with enough Invocations to use Heroism and even Finesse reliably.
Which definitely doesn't mean that MiAr is a bad start, it's still feasible and very reliable. The new "staff" just isn't that great.

I'll give MiPr a go, thinking more of a melee+Sanctuary speedrun than anything else. Agnes had better turn up. :)

I'm currently enjoying a HaHe of Elyvilon and am pacifying, Airstriking, Blinking and quick-blading (neologisms forever) my way to a win. Shouldn't take long now! Elf:5 was hilarious.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2011, 15:29

Wait, what?
Is there a wiki or a topic about this staff split? First time I heard about it.

I recall when there was debate about staff monk I proposed something similar - add new stave type between quarterstaff and lajatang for smoother power curve. Everyone felt it was absurd "there is already three types of staves(including magical)". For me it felt more like all (lajatang) or nothing (quarterstaff) deal.
Now, it seems, viewpoint changed.

on topic then: Is it fair that priests start with tier 2 weapon while artificers start with tier 1 (and most other backgrounds too)?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2011, 15:44

You really can't have a class start with one of the best starting weapons there is, a wand of flame, a wand of confusion and a wand of random effects. It's fair in my opinion.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2011, 17:23

cerebovssquire wrote:You really can't have a class start with one of the best starting weapons there is, a wand of flame, a wand of confusion and a wand of random effects. It's fair in my opinion.

Hm, I missed many changes. Artificers now have additional flame wand? Good.
Then I agree with you - seems fair to me.

Although, staff is a bad name for new item. Staff is a whole weapon class - quarterstaff is one of representatives of this class.
It's like having new food item called "food" :?

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2011, 20:45

^We could call it a cane. Also, it could really use a new tile...
You die...

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2011, 20:58

Un67 wrote:^We could call it a cane. Also, it could really use a new tile...

I thought about it. I like "baton" more.
Also I would like to change quarterstaff tile a bit - upholster both tips of it with metal. Because really, how in a hell wooden stick deals damage comparable to iron swords and maces.
I probably will make both tiles when spare minute will be available .

Edit:
going offtopic here so...

I love Draconian monks. Pure ascetic melee with a stress on god and innate abilities.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2011, 21:24

Well, I decided to try my hand at tile-making and came up with this thing:
Attachments
staff.PNG
staff.PNG (418 Bytes) Viewed 15642 times
You die...

For this message the author Un67 has received thanks:
Grimm

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 28th September 2011, 06:43

Umbrella!
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 28th September 2011, 09:08

Curio wrote:Wait, what?
Is there a wiki or a topic about this staff split? First time I heard about it.

No, it was briefly discussed on irc, then elliptic did the change (and gave Ar several wands).

Curio wrote:on topic then: Is it fair that priests start with tier 2 weapon while artificers start with tier 1 (and most other backgrounds too)?

Seems like Pr can use the boost.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 3rd October 2011, 02:52

Un67 wrote:Well, I decided to try my hand at tile-making and came up with this thing:

Just saw this in trunk and it's a little on the fat side - looks like a piece of beef jerky. Otherwise nice.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 9th October 2011, 21:40

KeSu. KeSu all the time. NEVER anything else.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 10th October 2011, 23:47

first off i'm pretty new (obv. enough) but these where my findings :)

HaHu of Okawaru
looks like a whole package - too bad you always run out of missiles and never find a buckler until too late :/

SETm of Kikubaaqudgha
i loved it at first but the anti-training from Evaporate/Ice Form was giving me eye cancer...

HOPr of Beogh
it feels awesome as long as your crew is plowing through the enemies, once you get "wiped" (y u hydra me :/) it's kinda over though, imho :/
it also gets kinda tiresome to micro them :s

SpEn of Nemlex Xobeh
fun at first, feels overpowered later - i always run into more problematic enemies (like ogre mage, spriggan rider, etc.) later and die - most likely because i'm nearly purely going for hexes :/

KeAE of Vehumet
sounded like a bright idea - ended painfully repeatedly (90% pre lv7 too)... i can't play Ke obviously

DEWz of Sif Muna
my current toy, the starting spellbook seems very nicely designed around Call Imp which is a pretty underrated spell - imho
there's all kinds of cool stuffs with imps, firstly the spell itself is kinda cool (try 20-headed hydra v 15 imp ; dart in the arena :D) and imps also go very well with Mephitic Cloud/Slow
feels like a gamble though - if you find a decent fir/air/poi/sum/coj book to deal dmg with before imps turn useless AND get poison resistance

things i don't understand at all:
Warpers/Throwing - seems completely pointless (actually, missile skills in general...)
Skald/Transmuter having anti-training in the starting book... (yes, it's really bugging me to see a -4 in bright magenta...)
Assassins... meh - the crappy version of Stalker/Enchanter?

i guess that's about it for my bunch of cents :o

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2011, 00:03

My favorite practical builds:

MiBe (M&F with a side of rods) -- heavy armour and a large shield allow you to laugh off most every hit; demon whips tear everything to pieces, and rods are excellent for cleanup, among other things (-3 evocations means nothing when you're training four or five skills exclusively the entire game). Bolt of Inaccuracy, if you can get, crushes any low-EV monster, including the Royal Jelly.

DEFE of Vehumet -- flame tongue and sticky flame can carry you through the main dungeon until Lair (sticky flame means that any monster without a ranged attack is free XP, up to and including hydrae), Fireball (castable very early with Vehumet's bonus, cost reduced because of Vehumet's bonus, range increased because of Vehumet's bonus, hungerless early due to +4 spellcasting) tears through anything without rF+++, and Fire Storm is Fire Storm. Branching out is also ridiculously easy due to aptitudes; +4 charms is incredible, +x in almost every casting school means having just about any spell you feel like sometime in Vaults. Low HP/defenses mean nothing if the opponent can't ever hit you.

My favorite builds that I could play if I was better at this game:

DEBe -- the idea of a deep elf following Trog makes me laugh every time I think of it.
DrFE -- Very thematic, fun to run a high-defense caster.
HuWa -- The utter adaptability of this combo allows learning of many playstyles, and starting with nothing but a club, scale mail, and apportation (along with levels in utterly random casting schools and armour) makes me laugh.
DsCK -- Utter chaos. :D

Fire elementalists are like the berserkers of casters -- see an enemy? KILL IT WITH FIRE.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2011, 03:07

DEBe -- the idea of a deep elf following Trog makes me laugh every time I think of it.

Check this out... viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1693&p=18262&hilit=deep+elf+berserker#p18228

:D

For this message the author pratamawirya has received thanks:
lazorexplosion

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 17th October 2011, 04:58

Melee MfIE. Skip conjurations altogether and grab the first spear I find.

I'm not sure how this would play in 9.x, though, both because there's no reward for learning your magic skills first and because I'm really not sure how abilities factor into melee now (i.e whether the very low starting strength is more or less of a drawback than it used to be).

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 18th October 2011, 05:46

Hehehe all time favorite:

DemonspawnWz of Vehumet or Makhleb
W/ beautiful mutation set - Antenna, Nightstalker, Cold(Any)/Guardian, Bony Plates/Iridescent Scales/Repulsion Field, +% HP

Crazy survivability + Small LOS + Out of sight detection = Safe pawnage via Firestorm/Smite spells

Let's you effectively avoid most dangerous stuff by extended late game:
*No enemy smite/hellfire spam
*No enemy army summons
*With careful play, monsters can't cast spells at all!

The only danger would be ziggurat levels full of celestials/mummies/deep dwarves which have some sort of way to return damage... can be offset by having high hp or just checking the level via Shadow Creatures. 8-)

For this message the author Eaki Godsbane has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 22nd October 2011, 00:00

TrHo, squishes and eats everything.
TrMo, rips apart everything.
Deep elf conjurer, blasts apart everything.
And my all time favorite, the SpCk, I like just sprinting down as far as I can on my short little legs.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

For this message the author Jabberwocky has received thanks:
AtT

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 1st November 2011, 03:43

moekitten wrote:Spriggan everything

This.

Especially SpEn of Nemelex.

Seriously though, spriggan is naturally ridiculously fast and hard to hit, and its aptitudes are absurdly good. I'm on my second major SpEn run now and I have 12 runes

Eringya's Employee

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 00:25

Currently playing in 0.10:

HOFi of Okawaru/TSO -> Been playing Hill Orcs a lot lately and with the recent buffs they had in trunk and the removal of Mountain Dwarves, I'm going to play them even more.
MuFi of Okawaru -> They don't live long enough, unfortunately.
DSMo of Jiyva -> My body is my weapon. (extra points if monstrous, lol)
TrTm of Cheibriados -> Beastly damage and great HP with statue/dragon form (if you ever manage to cast it :P )
DrTm of Cheibriados -> Randomness, more slots to equip stuff to than Trolls. (in 0.10 you can't wear chest armour but can wear boots/gloves)
SpPr of Zin -> Not having to eat humanoid chunks makes Zin happy. Also he doesn't have a problem with you using poisoned weapons or stabbing unaware monsters like TSO. Leave the staff for the first short blade you find. Being able to switch to Ely-TSO, is a good thing, as always.
KoAs of Fedhas -> Fruit is useless to you, why not put it to good use?
HESk of Okawaru/TSO -> Blessed triple sword awesomeness and good charms skill. What's not to like about it? The exp needed to level up, maybe. :P

Felid Necromancer called Nekomancer, just for kicks. :lol:
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 17:05

A couple more nooby noob.

SpAs of Kiku. great starting kit. Maybe not the best for end game, but is really fun. Stealth and stabbing make mid game a breeze while necro adds a bit of utility and a way to reliably destroy undead. Pain brand is a bonus.

NaFE of Vehemet Sticky flame can kill just about anything and its castable fairly quick. With see Invis and rP you can hop in the lair as soon as you find it. Spit poison helps with early ogres and some uniques. Vehemet always seems to grant SOME poison spells early and with the +3 to poison skills you can get pretty well rounded quickly.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 5th November 2011, 08:35

DDHe. You have to heal.

DrFE.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 7th November 2011, 15:37

@ Minmay. Mummy stalkers are pretty decent to start with from the little I have seen. Even with the -2 penalties, evaporate is only a second level spell so it doesn't take much to get to excellent. You get an immediate head start on necromancy with fulsome distillation too, and you can actually use all the potions lying around. I wish you could evaporate healing potions for a healing cloud though, that would be cool.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 7th November 2011, 18:10

Konebred wrote: I wish you could evaporate healing potions for a healing cloud though, that would be cool.

Yea but that would kind of defeat the purpose of barring mummies from potions. Would make a nice friendlies mechanic though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 7th November 2011, 19:06

MuSt has the big disadvantage that even though it's quite powerful if you use Evaporate a lot and go Kiku, you're distilling virtually every poisonous and a large amount of contaminated corpses to play it optimally, and that sucks fun-wise.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 8th November 2011, 04:16

Yay for MuBe! :D

The only quirky part about the combo is that you're playing a berserker who doesn't berserk. :)

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 19th November 2011, 16:35

HOFi , MuFi, DSMo , TrTm, DrTm, KoAs, DDHe, &c.. OMG, wtf ? :?

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 19th November 2011, 18:55

Who doesn't love a nice MuSt*Ash?

For this message the author AtT has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 19th November 2011, 19:17

AtT wrote:Who doesn't love a nice MuSt*Ash?

heh, mustache

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 22nd November 2011, 22:04

Probably totally redundant to say this but my favourite build is definitely a deep elf wizard. The starting spellbook, particularly mephitic (my spell checker recommends syphilitic for this) cloud and conjure flame gives you very potent tools to safely deal with most threats up to lair and pretty much anything inside though black mambas and spiny frogs can be rather scary in the open (I hope you have nice nukey wands/a nearby staircase scary). I guess imp spam is pretty good against them but it's just not my style!:p. Blinks also a lifesaver for getting distance from nasty things lurking around corners.

Deep elf conjurers offer a very similar platter but a more direct way to deal with the tougher mephitic cloud immunes/resistants with lightning bolt. I'm not a big fan of this as it is a fantastic way to get the whole level to bear down on you but having freezing cloud in a starting book is just so good it makes it all worthwhile if you get there.

In the past I've usually went Sif Muna with either of these combinations for the channelling and books. Just recently I've tried going Kiku first to get my hands on a necronomicon (regeneration, dispel undead and agony are also fantastic on the way) and then abandoning Him for Sif once I can keep myself necromutated to take the edge off Kiku's wrath. I've only tried this once however and waited it out in the temple with a horde of friendly abominations. Doing that made it feel like Kiku was attempting to rough me up with a particularly limp lettuce leaf (for 35 thousand extremely dull turns)so next time I'll try it while crawling I think.

Endgame is the same for either of these, fire or ice storm, whatever I find first really (I prefer fire) all the nice buffs supported by deep elf apts and int that allow you to cast them at excellent around 5 minutes after finding the book they're in while necromutated and abusing channelling to the max.

Another combination I like is a Minotaur Monk of Oka(in trunk). I use a shield and pick up a sling and use that for ranged, Oka gives me some nice armour and ammo, unarmed is ridiculous and heroism gives me such a massive buff to my fighting skills.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 25th November 2011, 20:10

Used to like MDFE, going hybrid :cry:. But I've been trying out HOFE in trunk and it actually plays very similarly - maybe even better as you get more MP and have better spellcasting/conjurations aptitude.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 10th December 2011, 08:02

I'm surprised no one has mentioned DDBe yet...They are very resilient, between the heavy armor and damage resistance. Limited options and you're basically stuck with pure melee, but as a newbie they are very good for learning the game. I just got my first ever rune with one...the abyssal rune. Got banished there in a freak accident at level 13 and managed to survive until I saw a rune, was roughly 3000ish turns, which is fairly low for a rune but a long time to live :)

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2011, 22:33

tasonir wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned DDBe yet...

I really like to play:
DDBe =P
DDNe
SpWz
SpAs
VaAs

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 24th December 2011, 20:45

So - while trying to make viable "Legolas" elf [Short Blades and Archery], I came up with a really nice robust build to get a good hunter going. The trick? *DON'T* start as a Hunter! Pick Conjurer instead!

I'm posting the vids as I go along on youtube: (see Elf-3): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSjcdInlCE4 . Suffice it to say it's going VERY well thusfar.

The method (warning-very detailed)
Mephitic Cloud (is an incredibly powerful spell throughout the early and midgame. It gives the player the choice to flee from many many MANY fights that otherwise he would be obligated to fight. It gives +5 to hit with melee attacks and an opportunity for stabbing damage. It can drown enemies in deep water. It is a Lvl3 spell and thus can be made hungerless during the course of an ordinary run.

So why not use it on a melee character?

The class you choose for your character in Dungeon Crawl is far less significant than in most RPG settings. The skill aptitudes, your HP, and your intrinsic abilities are all determined by your race. The only really notable thing your opening can do is set your Str, Int, and Dex - which does a lot to limit what you can and can't specialize in later. It also affects what items you are given when you start the game and your *initial* distribution of skill masteries.

Let's say I want to run a Legolas. The instinct is: pick Hunter class. They start with 25 +1 arrows, a bow and short sword, 6 skill levels in bows, and str:dex of 11:15 [[bows require str:dex in a roughly 2:10 ratio]]. So your roll it, and it's great; you deal lots of damage and all is well, but you are RELIANT on getting good escape items, extra ammo for your bow, and have no way of dealing with special cases. In short: without luckily finding some blink/teleport scrolls and happening to avoid tough ghosts, you're gonna be crossing your fingers and hoping they die before they reach you.

My alternative is - play an Elven Conjurer (not a wizard!). You start the game with Str:Dex of 7:15 (still well within the 2:10 recommended, with solid dex), you have no arrows, no bow, and no dagger. You *do* have magic dart to get you going but - (and here's the exciting part) - right off the bat Mephitic Cloud is "Fair"! That's a 60% chance of successfully casting. Further, you gain spell levels each time you level up, so by the time you're Lvl3, you'll have enough spell levels to memorize it... and it doesn't take a whole lot of EXP to level a few magic schools (Spellcasting. Poison. Air) up to lvl 1/2 to make it reliable quickly - especially since ELVES HAVE HIGH MAGIC APTITUDES!!!!

So now the issues:

--> Doesn't it suck to not have a bow/dagger at the start?
Well - truthfully...not that much! Think about it, at the start of the game your magic dart is about as good as your +1 arrows (Conjuration skill:5). Now it's gonna drop off in usefulness, no question, since we aren't focus-levelling magic. But by then we'll have enough short blade skill to cover us. As for not starting with weapons:
1.) Your starting weapon is RARELY your final weapon, you're bound to find something better.
2.) Daggers/Short Blades are common on the first floors. You'll have your weapon soon enough.
3.) Bow&Arrow ammo mulches (IMO) fast enough that you're likely gonna be out of ammo by floor 3/4 as a hunter. Unless you get lucky pickups (pesky to rely on!). Your first real influx of extra arrows (>100) will come when you start killing centaurs; and they will also give you the bow later; so no risk of never getting that. [Seriously, when have you ever NOT met a centaur pre-Lair?].
4.) Consider how much *rarer* it is to find a spellbook that happens to have some nice Lvl1 spell you can train on as well as Mephitic Cloud. In my Elf-3 run I've cleared most the lair and STILL haven't found a spellbook like my first.

--> Won't you take an EXP hit for trying to go magic *and* melee/archery?

Again, not really - certainly not as much as you'd think. There are two aspects to this: being 'weak' with your weapons while you try to train them up to Lvl5+, and net-loss of EXP that you 'misallocate' to magic.

As far as being weak with weapons is concerned, as long as you get in a few hits and then turn the Short Blade skill on, nothing stops you from training the dagger while "leaning" on your (at first) more powerful magical attacks. Quickly though, your short blade skill overtakes it; especially considering the synergy between stabbing and mephitic cloud!
Loss to EXP is even easier to understand. Like many game systems, levelling takes exponential increases in EXP. It takes less EXP by far to go from Lvl0->5 Spellcasting/Conjurations than it does to from Lvl5->9. As such, enemies you're fighting later in the game give enough XP to hyper level leaving you at WORST 1-2 skill levels behind where a "pure archer" might have been. Also - Okuwaru's first ability lets you temporarily boost ALL your skills by +5; rendering a mild difference kinda moot. Throw in the fact that you have mephitic cloud and the utility speaks for itself.

--> I can't wear ring-mail/chain-mail/plate armour if I'm trying to preserve my stupid magery!

This is only a somewhat-valid concern, because it pre-supposes: that you're going to *find* appropriate armors. Granted, you almost always will, and Okuwaru will help in the long-run, but it bears mentioning that trying to buff your AC increases your reliance on dungeon-generated stuffs.

However, even if you do, Mephitic Cloud is a somewhat low-level spell (Lvl3); and as such with a decent amount of Armor and Spellcasting training, the hit to its casting reliability can be overcome. In the video series, I found Troll-Leather armor which I have been wearing thusfar in *addition* to wearing a buckler/shield. Besides, I'd rather have a Mephitic Cloud than a "+5 to AC" against the vast majority of opponents anyway.

Finally, there's the really awesome part: you *AREN'T* a mage! Unlike my SprigganConjurer runs which are reliant on getting a tier-2 spell book (preferrably Isekundurun's Mystic Blast), which often leaves you scrambling for tricks to kill spikey frogs with, the dagger/bow side of your damage output climbs far more steadily and predictably! Further, Oka starts gifting awesome ammunition much sooner than Vehument gifts better magic books. All these things put together I'm starting to reconsider the viability and entertainment value of a real Robin-Hood build!

Elves aren't Centaurs. What they lack in speed they make up for in magic aptitude. If you're not making use of t hat, then you're not taking full advantage of your Elf. But don't take my word for it. Check the vids - see for yourself; and then try rolling it :).

-AHMAD
My Wins (>25):
15-runer: OPWz, DECj, DEWz x2, VpWz
Other: DEWz, DrWz, DjWz, GnIE, KeCj, SpEn, SpWz, SpCj, MuWz, FeWzx2, MiBe x7.

Crawl Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/BountyHunterSAx2
or vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/BountyHunterSAx <--

For this message the author BountyHunterSAx has received thanks: 2
MyOtheHedgeFox, nilsyn

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 27th December 2011, 12:34

Naga Abyssal Knights are really awesome now that you can constrict. With that and a +2 weapon, you can deal some decent damage. I just exitted the abyss at XL 6.38 after killing an iron imp and 2 neqoxecs (yes, 3s) without losing much HP. Killing demons with a wimp like that is fun. :)

Code:
 The orc warrior disappears! You come along for the ride! 

oh god distortion+constriction is so awesome

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 27th December 2011, 14:41

Wow, when I suggested NaAK in the "person above you" thread, it must have been before nagas got constriction. My thought there was just to have a Naga start with a cure for its slow foot speed that didn't involve being a warper. Now it sounds pretty awesome.

...and not to rain on your parade, cerebovssquire, but what's a neqoxec going to do to you except mutate you to death? Still pretty darn impressive.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd January 2012, 09:53

Give me 4 experience levels before I start. It's not of much practical use because that exp is hardly noticable by Lair, sure, but it's still pretty cool. :P
(I also only got Str -1 and something else that was irrelevant. I've forgotten now)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 3rd January 2012, 14:49

Xom was reading this forum, because in my last win, the neqoxecs did a hell of a lot to try to mutate me to death, and that "10% chance to bypass rMut" came up distressingly often. And I forgot about the Int drain, which would do a lot to kill a starting AK.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd January 2012, 15:11

AK doesn't start with especially low INT. Plus, these neqoxecs die in ~4 turns so they don't have time to drain more than 1-2 points of INT. The worst thing it can do is give you a bad mutation because you can just exit the abyss if it spams 5s or deals too much melee damage for a XL 1-2 dude to handle. INT drain is basically a cantrip here.
This also isn't about reliably having an advantage. There's no notion of optimal or rational play involved. It's about throwing away half a dozen characters till one manages to get a kickstart of 6 XLs and about having the satifaction of killing minor to normal demons with a low-level character.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 3rd January 2012, 23:46

Hi! I just beat the game for the first time n figured it would be worth going to the forum for the first time to celebrate :)
merfolk crusader of Ashenzari, the only downside is it can be a pain to find a polearm that can butcher early game (to curse w/o starving like an idiot) but the extra exp and high aptitudes help offset the hybrid classes splitting exp into too many places, and you can use the ash skill transfer to branch into other schools of magic later (i escaped the dungeon w/o having to fight a single demon because of controlled teleport+teleport self)

Also working on demonspawn monk of Makhleb now

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 11th January 2012, 23:20

TeSu. I just LOVE being able to max Spammals' spellpower that early.

My sister plays SETr.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 17th February 2012, 17:57

My default choice, especially if it's very late, is a TrMo with the doll modified to have the appearance of troll hide armour and "PANTS_BROWN" (which look more purple to me). Named "Banner," obviously.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 26th February 2012, 08:39

OgFi/Gl of Kiku

GSC with pain is lol damage

semi-challenge combo tho

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 26th February 2012, 18:34

tarren wrote:Hi! I just beat the game for the first time n figured it would be worth going to the forum for the first time to celebrate :)
merfolk crusader of Ashenzari, the only downside is it can be a pain to find a polearm that can butcher early game (to curse w/o starving like an idiot) but the extra exp and high aptitudes help offset the hybrid classes splitting exp into too many places, and you can use the ash skill transfer to branch into other schools of magic later (i escaped the dungeon w/o having to fight a single demon because of controlled teleport+teleport self)

Also working on demonspawn monk of Makhleb now

I thought that grabbing the orb turned off cTele.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 29th February 2012, 04:41

DDNe of Kiku. Pretty boring IMO, but gets me pretty far in the game.
I have a lot of fun with SpBe, DrFE, and DEConjurer.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd March 2012, 04:36

Having a ton of fun with naga monks of Chei. They are a bit slow for the first 5-6 floors, but once you're past that it ramps up rather quickly. By the time you hit lair you're already at an above average power level. Stick to light armor at lower levels (heavy armor is fine once you're higher level), train unarmed combat exclusively, then when you get chei turn on invocations. If you find a shield, put it on and train that. If you don't, just UC/invocations is fine. Once invocations hits 10, slouch will have a 1% failure rate, and you're good to go - turn it off until much later to max step from time for late game. Any single mobs or 1-3 enemies, punch to death. If you draw too many, slouch them until they're dead. When unarmed hits around 10 you can turn on defenses like dodging, armor, and you hopefully have a shield by now. Train all three. You can prioritize UC to get it up to 20/25 at reasonable times, but you'll be doing huge damage even in the 15 range. Get your defenses high enough and if you find a couple good resistance pieces you will be an extreme tank. Be careful about starting out with a large shield as your first shield, but if you're careful, it can be done. Remember that nagas are considered large so you only need 15 skill to use a large shield without penalty.

An alternate is to do gladiators, who start with shield, and pick any weapon you like. This recommendation (with polearms) was made to me but I think I prefer monks because they can easily use shields and still deal very high damage.
PreviousNext

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice