Statue troll?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 1st July 2017, 12:09

Statue troll?

Just curious here. Was screwing around playing an unarmed troll monk and found a spell book in sewer with statue Form. How long would that take to get online and would it be worth it? Just a lowly lvl 6 right now. Planning to go atheist til jivya.
Victorious with 12:
MiFi^Oka, OgBe^Trog, DsGl^Yred, TrMo^Qaz, GrFE^Veh, HOSk^Beo, DrWz^Sif, DECj^Nem, DDAr^Mak, MfTm^Ru, NaWr^Chei, HEEE^Sif

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 1st July 2017, 13:08

Re: Statue troll?

Also found amulet of rage so my main worry now is what to do about the hydras coming up in lair. No large rocks or flaming edge weps yet.
Victorious with 12:
MiFi^Oka, OgBe^Trog, DsGl^Yred, TrMo^Qaz, GrFE^Veh, HOSk^Beo, DrWz^Sif, DECj^Nem, DDAr^Mak, MfTm^Ru, NaWr^Chei, HEEE^Sif

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 1st July 2017, 21:44

You can probably get it online about vaults/depths with a wizardry ring, if you're not completely rushing for it, go for it when you have excess exp and your offense/defense is good enough for the area you're in.

Run away from hydras and/or try to trap them on the floor above, unless you're a chei troll you don't really have to deal with them, or do dungeon further and hope for cyclops'.
16/26 on the way to GreaterOctopode (Win all backgrounds as an Octopode)

Progress so far : OpFi, OpGl, OpWn, OpAr, OpCK, OpMo, OpBe, OpHu, OpVM, OpAM, OpWr, OpFE, OpEE, OpNe, OpTm, OpSk

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 1st July 2017, 23:50

my main worry now is what to do about the hydras coming up in lair. No large rocks or flaming edge weps yet.

Maybe look for something else ranged to use on hydrae.

If things are going moderately well, you may have several charges of wands to start (acid works especially well), and that may tie you over while you scrounge up something else in Lair.

Search for any shortbows lying around. Even an underskilled shortbow can tear through a hydra pretty well with several shots. A branded one can be amazing (at least for this purpose, again with a few shots) with just a few points of training.

If you see anything with summons (box of beasts - sack of spiders - scroll of summoning etc.) grab it and bring it along.

Even a sling could help if you can get enough distance.

A flail or dire flail just to finish the beastie off safely might not hurt. Potions of Lignification may also help fending off attacks for a few turns, as long as you have something to attack with that doesn't generate more heads.
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 2nd July 2017, 00:12

stoneychips wrote:
my main worry now is what to do about the hydras coming up in lair. No large rocks or flaming edge weps yet.

Maybe look for something else ranged to use on hydrae.

If things are going moderately well, you may have several charges of wands to start (acid works especially well), and that may tie you over while you scrounge up something else in Lair.

Search for any shortbows lying around. Even an underskilled shortbow can tear through a hydra pretty well with several shots. A branded one can be amazing (at least for this purpose, again with a few shots) with just a few points of training.

If you see anything with summons (box of beasts - sack of spiders - scroll of summoning etc.) grab it and bring it along.

Even a sling could help if you can get enough distance.

A flail or dire flail just to finish the beastie off safely might not hurt. Potions of Lignification may also help fending off attacks for a few turns, as long as you have something to attack with that doesn't generate more heads.

Actually lignification melds claws, and uc with branches is really excellent and doesnt chop heads.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 3
nago, stoneychips, Vajrapani

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 2nd July 2017, 12:04

Siegurt wrote:
Actually lignification melds claws, and uc with branches is really excellent and doesnt chop heads.

Omg thank you.

"Now that you mention it, that totally makes sense!" exclaimed the single-minded thrashing dungeon troll. :lol: Apparently, in this case, I should stay more single-minded for once.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 2nd July 2017, 17:02

Please confirm: statue form does NOT meld claws 3, but lignification DOES meld claws 3? I thought neither melded claws.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 2nd July 2017, 17:06

MainiacJoe wrote:Please confirm: statue form does NOT meld claws 3, but lignification DOES meld claws 3? I thought neither melded claws.

I think every form *except* statue form and necromutation melds claws (and dragon form has its own claws)

Fwiw i use lig all the time against hydas, the last time i got statue form with a troll was a really really long time ago so i am not certain i have checked, and i am pretty sure i have never used lich form with a troll
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
MainiacJoe

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 2nd July 2017, 17:46

Are Ice Form attacks not considered slashing weapons?

I really don't know, i hardly ever use that spell. I got the impression somewhere along the way that they were cutting type, but I can't find anything on it in the Wiki or CPO's Beem bot.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 2nd July 2017, 17:55

stoneychips wrote:Are Ice Form attacks not considered slashing weapons?

I really don't know, i hardly ever use that spell. I got the impression somewhere along the way that they were cutting type, but I can't find anything on it in the Wiki or CPO's Beem bot.

Ice form attacks are also not head cutting.

Also cold damage can slow hydras

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 2
nago, stoneychips

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice