Up Against A Wall

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2011, 04:01

Up Against A Wall

(edit: skip to the end for an update)

I discovered Crawl a month or two ago, and have been playing heavily (200+ games, sometimes several hours a day). I've gotten the basics down fairly solidly, and can consistently get to level 10 or so with race/class combos I've learned well (Berserkers, DrFE/IE, CeHu).

However, I have never gotten past Lair:1. Ever. Most of my deaths (past D:3 or so) are fairly clearly my fault, but I can't quite seem to bridge that gap between knowing why I died and advancing further because of it. When I reach further down, I often just end up feeling outclassed at every turn, where the main dungeon monsters become too deadly for me to handle and I don't have the rPois necessary for the lair, or similar situations. Most of my characters (including MdFi, SpEverything, DE/SE casters, and most of the other "easy-to-learn builds" outside of the ones I listed never really get off the ground in the first place, unless I find something fantastic like a DsAr finding a +4 rod of venom in the sewer.

I feel like I'm missing some vital piece of understanding about the game that, once I discover, will allow me to start progressing further. As it is, I just keep throwing myself at a wall futilely trying to break it down. The problem is that I have no clue what that is. I've read all the tips I can find on the Wiki and here, I've tried watching a couple of games (I'd like to watch more, but not many skilled players are usually on the early dungeon levels where watching would be of much use for me, so not much has come of that so far), I've played virtually every race/class that's supposed to be fairly simple (and some not-so-simple ones; I've tried many DsXX and DrXX simply because I enjoy playing those races), and am entirely at a loss for how to improve from here.

So...any suggestions as to how to get past this wall? I love what I've played of Crawl so far, but I'd really like to figure out how to stop limping along in the very early game and start closing in on the midgame for once. (A 3-rune win, or even a rune grab, is hardly even on my radar right now).

EDIT: Also, one thing I forgot to ask...am I at a normal level of success with my level of experience? I feel like I should be better than I am at this point, but I have no basis for comparison, so if would be useful to know if such extended early-game struggles were typical.
Last edited by Blade on Monday, 23rd April 2012, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2011, 06:49

Re: Up Against A Wall

Blade wrote:I discovered Crawl a month or two ago, and have been playing heavily (200+ games, sometimes several hours a day). I've gotten the basics down fairly solidly, and can consistently get to level 10 or so with race/class combos I've learned well (Berserkers, DrFE/IE, CeHu).

However, I have never gotten past Lair:1. Ever. Most of my deaths (past D:3 or so) are fairly clearly my fault, but I can't quite seem to bridge that gap between knowing why I died and advancing further because of it. When I reach further down, I often just end up feeling outclassed at every turn, where the main dungeon monsters become too deadly for me to handle and I don't have the rPois necessary for the lair, or similar situations. Most of my characters (including MdFi, SpEverything, DE/SE casters, and most of the other "easy-to-learn builds" outside of the ones I listed never really get off the ground in the first place, unless I find something fantastic like a DsAr finding a +4 rod of venom in the sewer.

I feel like I'm missing some vital piece of understanding about the game that, once I discover, will allow me to start progressing further. As it is, I just keep throwing myself at a wall futilely trying to break it down. The problem is that I have no clue what that is. I've read all the tips I can find on the Wiki and here, I've tried watching a couple of games (I'd like to watch more, but not many skilled players are usually on the early dungeon levels where watching would be of much use for me, so not much has come of that so far), I've played virtually every race/class that's supposed to be fairly simple (and some not-so-simple ones; I've tried many DsXX and DrXX simply because I enjoy playing those races), and am entirely at a loss for how to improve from here.

So...any suggestions as to how to get past this wall? I love what I've played of Crawl so far, but I'd really like to figure out how to stop limping along in the very early game and start closing in on the midgame for once. (A 3-rune win, or even a rune grab, is hardly even on my radar right now).

EDIT: Also, one thing I forgot to ask...am I at a normal level of success with my level of experience? I feel like I should be better than I am at this point, but I have no basis for comparison, so if would be useful to know if such extended early-game struggles were typical.

As soon as you see an entrance to the Lair, dive. You'll get outclassed quickly in the dungeon. You don't need rPoison or any other resistances for it. Most of the time, if Lair monster can poison you to death, it can kill you just as fine even if you're resistant. If you don't have rElec, though, stay away from eels (add exclusions).

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2011, 08:08

Yes, usually the lair is easier than the dungeon at comparable levels. Poison can be annoying, but usually you can rest it off, and in the worst case you can use a healing potion.
There are some dangerous monsters in the lair (hydras, death yaks, spiny/blink frogs), learn to deal with them (for example with some wands).
Check out my characters at Spielersofa (in German)

hxy

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2011, 11:26

Find a race/class/god combo that you like and stick to it until you win. It's easier that way IMHO...
And of course, with every death, think about how it could be prevented
And better still, when you get into a dangerous situation, check your resources (inventory/spells/etc) to see which will give you the best chance of survival.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2011, 13:30

I certainly would not call Draconians an easy race (restricted slots, mediocre apts). If you prefer the melee way, try Merfolks (with polearms), Trolls (unarmed), Minotaurs/MDwarves (axes, maces). Deep Elves make wonderful casters with brilliant magic aptitudes, but bad hitpoints; Spriggans are still a miraculous stabbers and venom mages.

It took me around 2 months/~150 games to win my first game (http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/hayen ... 160419.txt) back in 0.4.5 days, but the game posed other challenges back in the days.

Post some of your deaths maybe, so we could explain how could you deal with the challenge?

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2011, 14:22

Getting better at crawl is mostly about learning when to run away and how. This is not just true in the early game, but in all stages of play. In the early game few monsters are ranged, and few monsters are faster than you, so escaping is fairly easy. If the monster is asleep you can just walk away. If there is some space between you and the monster, most of the time you can just go to the nearest upstairs to escape (downstairs are fine too in a pinch). If there's no space there are ways to make some (blink, weapon swap before running, disabling the monster), but escaping gets a lot harder. So before you engage an enemy, think about whether you are ready to fight it. When in doubt, run away while it's easy to do so, don't wait until you are in trouble.

Don't be afraid to use your resources, many of them wont be very useful later on. If you meet a strong enemy you might as well blast it a few times with a wand of random effects before it reaches you (be ready to deal with a hasted monster). Throw darts at enemies, that's what they are there for.

I think the main causes for early game trouble are not using your ranged combat options enough, and not knowing when to run and from what. Try playing something that will let you escape easily, like a SpEn (stealthy, fast), SpBe (fast, don't use berserk) or CeHu (fast, ranged). Then once you know what to actually run from other combos might come easier to you.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2011, 14:59

I am at the same point as the op kinda, except I have had a couple characters get through lair and orc. The key for me has been poison resist though. If I find an early pr ring then everything is so so much easier. If I don't then the game just bogs down to running from bees and scorpion or waiting around forever for poison to go away on its own, it gets old quick. One thing I will say though, poison attacks works wonders on most insects so save all the poison needles you come across and wait for a blowgun bearing kobold. Hell I've killed ogres on d2 kiting them around with an assassin. I love the game and try new combos out all the time, I just hate how item dependent the early game is. One last thing if you like draconians. Drac Monks are a lot of fun and breeze through the early game. Hell I don't do the temple until I hit level 7 and see what color I get. Get a couple ranged weapons and their breath and it helps a ton catching up on skills you might have just increased in when you color up.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2011, 15:50

SpEn breezes through whole lair and orc like a cruiser, hibernatting and stabkilling everything. This guy is really a powerhouse, especially so for new joiners - you can run away from most things and squishiness is covered by insane evasion. I started learning the game using SpEn/SpAs and it still remains my best liked combo.

For this message the author hayenne has received thanks:
Blade

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2011, 16:10

Think about what it that's killing you, and how to stop it. In lair for instance, hydras usually require high ranged DPS, and are a good target for blasting wands. Blink frogs are best lured upstairs to separate the packs. Spiny frogs and blink frogs are both somewhat vulnerable to cold. Black mambas and blink frogs are actually easier to fight with a beginner weapon, since the higher tier weapons have lower accuracy. Conjure flame and sticky flame (the spell version never misses!) both work wonders.

cjo

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2011, 19:28

OP asked if it is normal to get stuck in the "early" game... I certainly am. I am gradually getting better, have seen the bottom of the lair a few times, seen some other branches but never finished any branch except orc mines (not counting elven hall) and lair (not counting branches). I know it stems from two things: first, I have a hard time mustering the hours and hours of error-free play it takes to avoid YASD, and second, I don't always know how to develop my characters. Advice on this forum does help, but if it's any consolation, my spouse and friends who like this game do even worse than me! So yes, there are others out here who have never seen a rune. Doesn't stop me from having fun, but I really would like one someday!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 22nd September 2011, 01:32

Thanks for your replies, everyone. I'd post some morgue files like one of you asked, but they wouldn't do much good -- the vast majority of my best characters have been killed in obvious, easily-avoidable ways (TrBe killed in lv2 of the Hive without rPois, DrFE killed by an electric eel, DrFE killed by an orange rat (on lv4 of the lair; I had forgotten about this one)...that sort of thing). Usually I just end up underestimating something or overestimating myself (or in a few memorable cases, got taken by surprise by ridiculously high damage rolls [taken from 19 hp to -6 by a gnoll on dlvl10, for example].

@hayenne: I know Draconians are by no means a beginner race, but I used them for my first few casters, got used to their bulk, and now have a hard time remembering that other casters are squishy and that I need to take care of them. I followed your advice with SpEn and have been doing fairly well with them; my best one was killed by an ice beast on Lair:1 (sort of my fault, since I was at low HP and probably shouldn't have been engaging it, but it was confused and severely wounded; it hit me for about 20 damage regardless). Playing Spriggans has given me a whole new challenge, though: weight management. Should I use my lv.3,6,9,etc. boosts getting STR up? Also, how many scrolls, potions, and wands should I be carrying with me?

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 22nd September 2011, 07:30

SpEn are a little weird in that all stats can be quite useful for them, depending on what direction you take the character (you need a way to kill cold resistant and hex resistant/immune enemies). Raise whatever stat you feel you need the most. If you want to carry more stuff, raise strength. If you want to dodge better and be more stealthy, raise dex. If you want to cast mid or high level spells, especially conjurations and hexes, you're going to need some int to deal with hunger (and increase power). The general advice used to be to raise all stats to at least 8 (I think it was 8...) to avoid instant stat death, but this is pretty moot now that stat death is no longer instant, especially if you're not going to do the hells. You need 9 strength to get good use out of dragon armor, but that's probably irrelevant to you, and to most spriggan characters.

Regarding consumables: carry life savers (healing, heal wounds, teleport, blinking, haste, digging) and things that let you deal with things hibernation and confuse don't cover (might, powerful attack wands, especially the fire ones). Feel free to get some use out of the hex wands and weak attack wands, no point in letting them go to waste. Training evocations is probably a good idea on a SpEn, they have good apt, and wands can be a great way to cover the gaps in your portfolio, at least through the midgame. You should probably wait until you find a decent attack wand to do this, and level 10 is probably enough evo for the midgame.

Stash all strategic scrolls and potions (enchant, recharge, cure mut, most of your rc scrolls). Carrying a recharge scroll can be useful if you rely on wands a lot, and can save some weight, but is usually not worth the risk of scroll destruction. Carry at most two of most consumables. The main exception to this is healing if you don't have rP.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 22nd September 2011, 08:38

Vampires can be really awesome!
They have the Best stealth in the game, also if you can pick up an invisibility ring with one you don't need to throw half your EXP onto making your vamp good at magic.
(just hide behind a corner and spam it until you can get that thing to work)

Also go with Makhleb and try to bring your Invocations up to 10 and use Lesser demon whenever you wake somebody up that you can't kill easily.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 22nd September 2011, 13:28

Blade wrote:Playing Spriggans has given me a whole new challenge, though: weight management. Should I use my lv.3,6,9,etc. boosts getting STR up? Also, how many scrolls, potions, and wands should I be carrying with me?

I vote no to Str on a SpEn. Int. Don't carry much stuff with you -- if you're getting burdened, drop some stuff. A couple healing potions and maybe speed are gonna do you potion-wise (quaff that porridge!), and a few tele/blink/fog/fear scrolls on the scroll end. Wands are pretty heavy, too -- do you really need to carry around all those wands of flame, or will one be enough? The food cost of trips to Lair:1 aren't gonna kill you.

Also: remember to use your resources! The only thing worse than being nailed by an electric eel is being nailed while carrying a scroll of fog. If that 8-headed hydra is gonna catch you, use !Speed or ?Fear or /Confuse -- and do it before it's right on top of you, in case it takes a few shots. Remember your God abilities. Trog, for example, is great all the way through a 3-rune game because his abilities are like powerful, regenerating resources. You don't need to worry too much about dropping Brothers in Arms on a scary threat, because you'll get that ability again.

Finally: I hit the same wall you're at. Partly I got over it by playing carefully, but much more, it was learning tactics (what resources do I have right now to deal with this threat?) and strategy (what choices do I make in religion, skills, spells, and gear to be ready for future threats?). Learning how much damage different monsters do (and what other abilities they have) is important. Once I grabbed my first rune, a win was actually not that big a step up, because I'd learned the tactics of dealing with branch-end vaults and the strategy to build a powerful-enough character.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 22nd September 2011, 14:37

I ramp up Str to 8, then all points go to Int. Don't bother with Dex, racial bonuses are going to max it for you.

As a spriggan, I never carry around most of wands (maybe 1 of fire/cold or draining/lightning), immediately get rid of low-tier wands like random effects, magic darts, slow, confusion, flame and frost; stash most of my food (mind you, there is no reason not to run around engorded all the time!); carry as little consumables as emergency might require; stash most of the scrolls (sheesh, I often realise I carry 10 remove curses and 8 identify's!).

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 22nd September 2011, 23:44

Alright; I have probably my most successful char yet: A lv.11 SpEn of Nemelex, currently on Lair:3. My question right now is one of weapons: I'm wielding a +2 vampiric dagger right now, which lets me melee single monsters far better than most SpEn (I killed a bee vault by first enslaving the queen and letting her get killed by several of the others, then attacked the rest until they all died; throughout it, I only used one Heal Wounds). However, the 'never unwield' effect is often rather inconvenient. Should I ditch it for another short blade (as far as I know, I haven't found a branded one, but I've been wielding the vampiric one since about D:3 so I'm not entirely sure) or keep it? Decks aren't really an issue with it anymore, as I'm finally able to use Nemelex's powers without unwielding; took a while with only corpse sacrifices, but I made it there in the end.

So: keep or drop?

EDIT: Also, as fair as Lair progress goes, I've met three of the major threats (Hydra, Blink Frogs, Spiny Frogs) and defeated all of them without trouble (still being very careful, though). So that's cool.

EDIT2: And...just found a randart dagger: cursed +6, -1 dagger of Gorij {stab, rN+, Str+2}, so that's another possible weapon option.

EDIT3: I cleared the Lair down to 7, killing a pack of elephants and one of death yaks on the way. Probably going to try Orc now, unless you guys think I should stay away. (generated Snake and Swamp as my Lair branches) I have a book of Air, a book of Frost, and a book of Maledictions, and have Ensorcelled Hibernation, Confusion, Enslavement, and Invisibility memorized; any others I should pick up from those books?

EDIT4: *sigh* I forgot how powerful my old DrFE ghosts are; I found one and it killed me without trouble. Still, a new high score! I went further than I've ever gone before, so that's awesome.

...how I could have avoided YASD: Legendary Deck of Summoning, cast Invisibility, just run away...many, many ways. Lesson learned.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 02:52

You pay the price for using vampiric weapons when you equip them; there's no penalty for unequipping, except that you have to pay it again if you re-equip it.

That randart dagger sucks. The +6 accuracy doesn't mean much on a weapon that's already pretty accurate, and the -1 damage sucks. The brand and the bonuses aren't great either.

It's good to branch out from hexes. Sooner or later you'll come across something with good MR and sees invisible, and you'll have no way to fight it.

Orc is very easy for an enchanter. Everything has little MR, and only sorcerers and high priests see invisible.

In general, avoid ghosts until you know you can win. Often they're even more powerful then when you were playing them (since they can use those high level spells you can't reliably cast yet freely and at full power).

For this message the author Tiber has received thanks:
Blade

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 04:22

Tiber wrote:You pay the price for using vampiric weapons when you equip them; there's no penalty for unequipping, except that you have to pay it again if you re-equip it.

That randart dagger sucks. The +6 accuracy doesn't mean much on a weapon that's already pretty accurate, and the -1 damage sucks. The brand and the bonuses aren't great either.

It's good to branch out from hexes. Sooner or later you'll come across something with good MR and sees invisible, and you'll have no way to fight it.

Orc is very easy for an enchanter. Everything has little MR, and only sorcerers and high priests see invisible.

In general, avoid ghosts until you know you can win. Often they're even more powerful then when you were playing them (since they can use those high level spells you can't reliably cast yet freely and at full power).

Thanks for all the tips; I'll keep them in mind for next time. As for unequipping a vampiric weapon; like I said, I hadn't found any other good short blades that I knew of, so unequipping my dagger would've meant possibly needing to equip it again later.

With the ghost...yeah, that was flat-out dumb of me. DrFE are vastly more powerful in death than in life, with draining breath, powerful spells, and decent defenses (in addition to all the resistances provided by being a ghost). The thought of facing DrFE ghosts is often enough to avoid playing DrFE.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 07:23

You dont really need vampiric weapons, just go straight to the source and play a Vp Monk Assassin Enchanter
When Vampires successfully backstab they Regenerate a large portion of the Damage done

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 09:57

Vampiric weapons are great on stabbers. So why unequip it if you don't have something better?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 18:53

Okay, I have a new SpEn going, currently on d:3, and I have found a +3,+4 dagger of holy wrath, but also a vampiric dagger of unknown quality. In addition, I have two scrolls of enchant weapon. So...which one should I use? Both cover significant SpEn weaknesses (the undead with the dagger of holy wrath, the frailty with vampirism), and both can be enchanted quite highly.

EDIT: The vampiric dagger is only +0,+1; probably going to use the holy wrath, but I'm saving the enchant weapons until I know which one is generally better.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 24th September 2011, 14:47

The wall seems to have been rather firmly broken down now that I've started playing SpEn and MiBe frequently. My current char is incredible (by my standards):

Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.9.1 character file.

Nobody the Fighter (Minotaur Berserker)                                                                                                            Turns: 20324, Time: 01:26:34

HP  97/97        AC 25     Str 23      XL: 11   Next: 65%
MP   1/1         EV  3     Int  7      God: Trog [*****.]
Gold 402         SH 16     Dex  9      Spells:  0 memorised, 12 levels left

Res.Fire  : . . .   See Invis. : +    I - +2,+8 ankus (antimagic) {god gift}
Res.Cold  : . . .   Warding    : + .  o - +5 plate mail {rPois}
Life Prot.: + . .   Conserve   : .    J - +1 elf shield
Res.Acid. : . . .   Res.Corr.  : .    (helmet restricted)
Res.Poison: +       Clarity    : .    R - +1 dwarf cloak
Res.Elec. : .       Spirit.Shd : .    (no gloves)
Sust.Abil.: . .     Stasis     : .    G - +2 pair of boots
Res.Mut.  : .       Ctrl.Telep.: .    j - amulet of warding
Res.Rott. : .       Levitation : .    u - ring of see invisible
Saprovore : . . .   Ctrl.Flight: .    z - ring of poison resistance

@: somewhat resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: horns 2
a: Burn Spellbooks, Berserk, Trog's Hand, Brothers in Arms, Renounce Religion

You are on level 1 of the Lair of Beasts.
You worship Trog.
Trog is exalted by your worship.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 2 branches of the dungeon, and seen 12 of its levels.

You have collected 553 gold pieces.
You have spent 171 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 c - an uncursed dagger of draining
 f - a +2,+0 mace of protection
 p - a +0,-1 whip
 y - an uncursed blowgun
 I - a +2,+8 anti-magic ankus (weapon) {god gift}
 K - a +0,+0 whip of flaming
 V - a +0,+2 battleaxe of chopping {god gift}
Missiles
 e - 64 poisoned needles
 w - 5 javelins (quivered)
 x - 15 poisoned needles
 S - 34 stones
Armour
 o - a +5 plate mail of poison resistance (worn)
 A - a +3 orcish leather armour
 C - a +0 orcish splint mail
 G - a +2 pair of boots (worn)
 J - a +1 elven shield (worn)
 R - a +1 dwarven cloak (worn)
 T - a +0 banded mail
 U - an orcish scale mail
Magical devices
 n - a curved bone wand
Comestibles
 s - a choko
 t - 4 meat rations
Scrolls
 i - 4 scrolls of magic mapping
 k - 8 scrolls of identify
 q - 6 scrolls of detect curse
 B - 2 scrolls of fog
 D - a scroll of remove curse
 L - a scroll of fear
 O - a scroll labeled MUICUBRU LUINN {tried}
 W - a scroll labeled TENTOO XEUC
Jewellery
 g - a +3 ring of strength
 h - an uncursed amulet of stasis
 j - an amulet of warding (around neck)
 l - an uncursed ring of protection from cold
 u - a ring of see invisible (right hand)
 z - a ring of poison resistance (left hand)
 E - a cursed ring of hunger
 Q - a +1 ring of dexterity
 X - an uncursed amulet of guardian spirit
 Y - a +2 ring of dexterity
Potions
 a - a potion of invisibility
 b - a potion of berserk rage
 d - 9 potions of healing
 m - 2 potions of speed
 v - 2 potions of might
 F - 2 potions of restore abilities
 H - a potion of heal wounds
 M - a fuming purple potion
 N - an emulsified pink potion
 P - an oily inky potion
Magical staves
 r - a +1 rod of destruction [ice] (10/10)
   (You found it on level 4 of the Dungeon)
Miscellaneous
 Z - a bottled efreet

Skills:
 + Level 12 Fighting
 - Level 4 Axes
 + Level 11 Maces & Flails
 - Level 1 Throwing
 + Level 10 Armour
 - Level 4 Dodging
 - Level 1 Stealth
 - Level 1 Traps & Doors
 - Level 1 Unarmed Combat
 - Level 1 Spellcasting
 * Level 7 Evocations

You have 12 spell levels left.
You don't know any spells.

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (10/27)            Temple (0/1) D:6             Orc (0/4) D:7
   Lair (2/8) D:10       
 Swamp: Lair:2-5   

Altars:
Ashenzari
Elyvilon
The Shining One
Trog
Vehumet
Xom

Shops:
D:4: ?  D:7: /  D:8: ?%[

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You have a pair of horns on your head.

Message History

You finish eating.
You see here 15 poisoned needles.
x - 15 poisoned needles
You see here a runed elven shield.
J - a runed elven shield
You see here a +1 ring of dexterity.
There is a stone staircase leading up here.
You climb upwards.
There is a stone staircase leading down here.
Put on which piece of jewellery? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
Okay, then.
Wear which item? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
You start putting on your armour.
You continue putting on your runed elven shield.
You finish putting on your +1 elven shield.
There are no items here.
Save game and exit?
Welcome back, Nobody the Minotaur Berserker.
Trog says: Kill them all!
Press ? for a list of commands and other information.

###    #.#   #.#
###  ####.######.#   #.#
..####.......).#.#   #.##
....f+.....##.##.#   #.P#
f#..##....###....#   #.##
...........##..###   #.#
#####.....###..#     #.#
..........# #..##    #.#
.######.#.# #...#    #.##
..........# #..##    #..#
........#.###..# ### #.##
..........#.#..###.###.#
..).....#.#..........f@#
............###.###..#.#
........P............#>#
........#.#..###.P#..###
........#.#..###.#.#.#
........#....##......#
........#.#..........#
........P.##.#...#.#.###
....#+..........####...#
#####...f.##.##.#  ###.#
.............##.#   ##.####
..###.#.#######.##  #..##f##
#.#.....#######+.#####.....#

There are no monsters in sight!

Vanquished Creatures
  A hydra (D:10)
  Erolcha (D:10)
  A hill giant (D:10)
  An orc sorcerer (D:7)
  An oklob plant (Lair:1)
  A weapon mimic (D:10)
  A spiny frog (Lair:1)
  Grinder (D:3)
  2 trolls (D:9)
  Prince Ribbit (D:9)
  2 giant toads
  Eustachio (D:10)
  12 yaks
  Grum (D:8)
  6 war dogs
  Edmund (D:7)
  A manticore (D:10)
  A necrophage (D:9)
  4 phantoms
  4 centaurs
  10 ice beasts
  2 orc warriors (D:10)
  2 sky beasts
  5 ogres
  2 giant slugs (D:10)
  A crocodile (D:8)
  10 giant frogs
  2 agate snails
  A yellow wasp zombie (D:10)
  A water moccasin (D:10)
  6 ogre zombies (D:7)
  2 goliath beetles
  5 imps
  6 orc priests
  A quasit (D:7)
  6 hounds
  A big fish (D:3)
  3 iguanas
  A hound skeleton (D:10)
  9 orc wizards
  7 scorpions
  6 porcupines
  4 worker ants
  A jelly (D:6)
  9 green rats
  13 snakes
  6 gnolls
  A lemure (D:10)
  A snake zombie (D:10)
  A white imp (D:10)
  7 worms
  A giant mite (D:4)
  An ufetubus (D:10)
  3 giant eyeballs
  5 giant geckos
  43 orcs
  11 giant cockroaches
  18 hobgoblins
  20 jackals
  2 oozes
  4 quokkas
  3 small snakes
  20 bats
  A giant gecko skeleton (D:4)
  6 giant newts
  11 goblins
  A goblin zombie (D:7)
  2 hobgoblin skeletons
  2 hobgoblin zombies (D:7)
  18 kobolds
  A kobold skeleton (D:5)
  5 orc skeletons
  13 orc zombies
  19 rats
  A bush (D:10)
  A plant (Lair:1)
  3 toadstools
391 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (others)
  A snake (D:9)
  3 orcs
  2 hobgoblins
  A kobold (D:9)
  2 giant newts
  A giant spore (D:9)
  A goblin (D:3)
  2 rats
  8 bushes (D:10)
  A plant (D:10)
  A toadstool (D:8)
23 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 414 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
--------------------------------------------------------------
     0 | D:1      | Nobody, the Minotaur Berserker, began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 19/19 MP: 0/0
   255 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 25/27 MP: 0/0
  1093 | D:2      | Reached skill level 5 in Fighting
  1188 | D:2      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 23/33 MP: 1/1
  1475 | D:2      | Acquired Trog's second power
  1682 | D:2      | Reached skill level 1 in Maces & Flails
  1682 | D:2      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 26/40 MP: 1/1
  2434 | D:3      | Reached skill level 1 in Unarmed Combat
  2574 | D:3      | Found a glowing drain.
  2768 | D:3      | Reached skill level 1 in Stealth
  3078 | D:3      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 30/47 MP: 1/1
  3663 | D:3      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 11/40 MP: 0/1
  3995 | D:3      | Reached skill level 6 in Fighting
  3995 | D:3      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 32/47 MP: 1/1
  4300 | D:3      | Found a glowing golden altar of the Shining One.
  4328 | D:3      | Noticed Grinder
  4362 | D:3      | Defeated Grinder
  4362 | D:3      | Reached skill level 5 in Maces & Flails
  4362 | D:3      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 23/55 MP: 2/2
  5270 | D:4      | Identified a +1 rod of destruction [ice] (10/10) (You found it on level 4 of the Dungeon)
  5327 | D:4      | Found a bloodstained altar of Trog.
  5444 | D:4      | Reached skill level 1 in Throwing
  5553 | D:4      | Found Skifu's Magic Scroll Shoppe.
  5564 | D:4      | Bought a scroll of enchant armour for 60 gold pieces
  5564 | D:4      | Bought a scroll of immolation for 11 gold pieces
  5631 | D:4      | Reached skill level 1 in Traps & Doors
  5631 | D:4      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 61/61 MP: 2/2
  5875 | D:4      | Found a radiant altar of Vehumet.
  5912 | D:4      | Acquired Trog's third power
  6153 | D:4      | Reached skill level 7 in Fighting
  6306 | D:5      | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
  6482 | D:5      | Found a shattered altar of Ashenzari.
  6825 | D:5      | Reached skill level 5 in Armour
  7314 | D:5      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 30/70 MP: 2/2
  7653 | D:5      | Reached skill level 1 in Spellcasting
  7750 | D:6      | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
  7870 | D:5      | Reached skill level 8 in Fighting
  9384 | D:7      | Noticed Edmund
  9442 | D:6      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 59/78 MP: 5/5
  9495 | D:7      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 61/71 MP: 4/4
  9515 | D:7      | Defeated Edmund
  9670 | D:7      | Found a white marble altar of Elyvilon.
 10354 | D:7      | Noticed an ogre zombie
 10366 | D:7      | Defeated an ogre zombie
 10366 | D:7      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 76/78 MP: 5/5
 10367 | D:7      | Found a staircase to the Orcish Mines.
 10367 | D:7      | Noticed an ogre zombie
 10385 | D:7      | Reached skill level 9 in Fighting
 10619 | D:7      | Noticed an orc sorcerer
 10663 | D:7      | Noticed an ogre zombie
 10694 | D:7      | Defeated an ogre zombie
 10701 | D:7      | Defeated an ogre zombie
 10862 | D:7      | Noticed an ogre zombie
 10957 | D:7      | Defeated an ogre zombie
 10972 | D:7      | Found Licar's Magical Wand Boutique.
 11064 | D:7      | Defeated an orc sorcerer
 11064 | D:7      | Reached skill level 1 in Evocations
 11178 | D:7      | Noticed an ogre zombie
 11196 | D:7      | Defeated an ogre zombie
 11242 | D:7      | Noticed an ogre zombie
 11250 | D:7      | Defeated an ogre zombie
 11985 | D:8      | Reached skill level 10 in Fighting
 12082 | D:8      | Found Reomm's Food Shoppe.
 12087 | D:8      | Found Neaho's Antique Armour Boutique.
 12221 | D:8      | Bought a meat ration for 52 gold pieces
 12590 | D:8      | Found Luhe's Magic Scroll Emporium.
 12593 | D:8      | Bought a scroll of identify for 24 gold pieces
 12705 | D:9      | Reached XP level 10. HP: 82/88 MP: 5/5
 12786 | D:9      | Noticed Grum
 13182 | D:8      | Defeated Grum
 13559 | D:9      | Noticed Prince Ribbit
 13653 | D:9      | Defeated Prince Ribbit
 13883 | D:9      | Received a gift from Trog
 14186 | D:10     | Entered Level 10 of the Dungeon
 14206 | D:10     | Reached skill level 10 in Maces & Flails
 14231 | D:10     | Noticed Eustachio
 14270 | D:10     | Defeated Eustachio
 14378 | D:10     | Noticed an agate snail
 14382 | D:10     | Noticed a giant slug
 14688 | D:9      | Reached skill level 11 in Fighting
 14694 | D:9      | Reached skill level 5 in Evocations
 15300 | D:10     | Found a staircase to the Lair.
 15309 | D:10     | Noticed a giant slug
 15338 | D:10     | Defeated a giant slug
 15549 | D:10     | Defeated an agate snail
 15964 | D:10     | Noticed Erolcha
 15980 | D:10     | Defeated Erolcha
 16117 | D:10     | Reached XP level 11. HP: 58/96 MP: 5/5
 16349 | D:10     | Defeated a giant slug
 17499 | D:10     | Reached skill level 10 in Armour
 18616 | Lair:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts
 19229 | Lair:1   | Reached skill level 12 in Fighting
 19666 | Lair:1   | Found a shimmering altar of Xom.
 19870 | Lair:1   | Received a gift from Trog

The most incredible part has been the RoD on d:4; every time I get scared by a monster, I pull it out and say good-bye. The ankus and plate are also nice.

Time to get through the Lair and hope for a shot at a rune. :D

EDIT: :shock: Quite literally the next action I took after posting this was to read an unidentified scroll. It was acquirement; I decided to be adventurous and select armour; it was the mask of the dragon. Slaying, magic resistance, and SInv? Yes, please.

EDIT2: This char is incredible. Just melee'd a seven-headed hydra, no trouble, noticed afterwards that I had been wielding my rod of destruction.

EDIT3: ...what...what just happened?
  Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.9.1 character file.

38981 Nobody the Fighter (level 13, -5/116 HPs)
             Began as a Minotaur Berserker on Sept 23, 2011.
             Was a High Priest of Trog.
             Killed from afar by an ogre mage (53 damage)
             ... with a crystal spear

... on Level 3 of the Orcish Mines on Sept 24, 2011.
             The game lasted 02:43:25 (31599 turns).

Nobody the Fighter (Minotaur Berserker)                                                                                                            Turns: 31599, Time: 02:43:25

HP  -5/116       AC 27     Str 23      XL: 13   Next: 53%
MP   5/5         EV  5     Int  8      God: Trog [*****.]
Gold 256         SH 23     Dex  9 (10) Spells:  0 memorised, 14 levels left

Res.Fire  : . . .   See Invis. : +    I - +3,+9 ankus (antimagic) {god gift}
Res.Cold  : + . .   Warding    : . .  b - +6 plate mail "Shoec" {rPois}
Life Prot.: . . .   Conserve   : .    J - +1 elf shield
Res.Acid. : + . .   Res.Corr.  : +    W - +0 mask of the Dragon {MR Acc+2 Dam+2 SInv
Res.Poison: +       Clarity    : .    R - +1 dwarf cloak
Res.Elec. : +       Spirit.Shd : .    (no gloves)
Sust.Abil.: . .     Stasis     : .    G - +2 pair of boots
Res.Mut.  : .       Ctrl.Telep.: .    P - amulet of resist corrosion
Res.Rott. : .       Levitation : .    Q - ring of Divine Compulsion {rElec MP+9}
Saprovore : . . .   Ctrl.Flight: .    l - ring of protection from cold

@: quite resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: horns 2
a: Burn Spellbooks, Berserk, Trog's Hand, Brothers in Arms, Renounce Religion

You were on level 3 of the Orcish Mines.
You worshipped Trog.
Trog was exalted by your worship.
You were hungry.

You visited 3 branches of the dungeon, and saw 21 of its levels.
You visited 1 portal chamber: spiders nest.

You collected 1135 gold pieces.
You spent 899 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 y - a +0 blowgun
 I - a +3,+9 anti-magic ankus (weapon) {god gift}
Missiles
 e - 64 poisoned +0 needles
 p - 3 +3 javelins (quivered)
 w - 5 +0 javelins
 S - 34 +0 stones
Armour
 b - the +6 plate mail "Shoec" (worn) {rPois}
   (You bought it in a shop on level 8 of the Dungeon)   

It protects you from poison.
 G - a +2 pair of boots (worn)
 J - a +1 elven shield (worn)
 R - a +1 dwarven cloak (worn)
 W - the +0 mask of the Dragon (worn) {MR Acc+2 Dam+2 SInv}
   (You acquired it on level 1 of the Lair of Beasts)   

It affects your accuracy (+2).
   It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+2).
   It increases your resistance to enchantments.
   It enhances your eyesight.
Magical devices
 u - a wand of lightning (6)
 U - a wand of teleportation (4)
Comestibles
 f - 3 chunks of two-headed ogre flesh
 t - 3 meat rations
Scrolls
 c - 2 scrolls of blinking
 B - a scroll of fog
 D - a scroll of remove curse
 L - 2 scrolls of fear
 V - 2 scrolls of teleportation
Jewellery
 l - a ring of protection from cold (left hand)
 P - an amulet of resist corrosion (around neck)
 Q - the ring of Divine Compulsion (right hand) {rElec MP+9}
   (You found it on level 4 of the Lair of Beasts)   

[ring of magical power]

It insulates you from electricity.
Potions
 a - a potion of invisibility
 d - 4 potions of healing
 m - 2 potions of speed
 n - a potion of magic
 v - a potion of might
 F - a potion of restore abilities
Magical staves
 r - a +4 rod of destruction [ice] (6/12)
   (You found it on level 4 of the Dungeon)
Miscellaneous
 T - a disc of storms
 Z - a bottled efreet

Skills:
 + Level 14 Fighting
 - Level 4 Axes
 + Level 13 Maces & Flails
 - Level 1 Throwing
 + Level 12 Armour
 - Level 4 Dodging
 - Level 1 Stealth
 - Level 1 Stabbing
 * Level 8 Shields
 + Level 3 Traps & Doors
 - Level 1 Unarmed Combat
 - Level 1 Spellcasting
 * Level 11 Evocations

You had 14 spell levels left.
You didn't know any spells.

Branches:
Dungeon (10/27)            Temple (0/1) D:6             Orc (4/4) D:7
   Lair (7/8) D:10          Swamp (0/5) Lair:4       Shoals (0/5) Lair:6
  Slime (0/6) Lair:7     
   Elf: Orc:3-4     

Altars:
Ashenzari
Elyvilon
The Shining One
Trog
Vehumet
Xom

Shops:
D:4: ?  D:7: /  D:8: ?%[  Orc:4: *

Annotations
Lair:2 exclusions: 3 plants and 11 more exclusions

You have a pair of horns on your head.

Message History

You feel magic returning to you.
r - a +4 rod of destruction [ice] (12/12) (in hand)
You block the ogre mage's attack.
Evoke which spell from the rod ([a-c] spell [?*] list)?
Aiming: Freezing Cloud
Press: ? - help, Dir - move target cursor
You are feeling hungry.
The toadstool is engulfed in freezing vapours.
You destroy the toadstool!
The ogre mage is engulfed in freezing vapours.
The ogre mage points at you and mumbles some strange words.
The crystal spear hits you!
Wield which item (- for none, * to show all)? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
You feel magic leave you.
I - a +3,+9 anti-magic ankus (weapon) {god gift}
Your plate mail prevents you from hitting the ogre mage.
The ogre mage is engulfed in freezing vapours.
The ogre mage points at you and mumbles some strange words.
The crystal spear hits you!
You die...

###
      ##.##
   ####...#
  ##^###..##
 ##...##...#
 #...#....##
 ##.#.)[..##
 #....><)..#
 #...)§§)..##
 #....§C§)..#
##...#§O#[..###
#...####@)....#
##.##  ##......#
 ###    ##....##
         ##.###
          ###

You could see a hill giant and an ogre mage.

Vanquished Creatures
  An ice dragon (Lair:5)
  3 hydras
  4 death yaks (Lair:6)
  Erolcha (D:10)
  The ghost of Troll the Grappler, an experienced TrBe of Trog (Orc:1)
  2 hill giants
  An orc sorcerer (D:7)
  2 griffons
  2 oklob plants
  10 wolf spiders (Port)
  5 trapdoor spiders (Port)
  A weapon mimic (D:10)
  3 black mambas
  2 rock trolls (Orc:3)
  5 spiny frogs
  Grinder (D:3)
  6 two-headed ogres (Orc:3)
  8 trolls
  Prince Ribbit (D:9)
  A polar bear (Lair:6)
  3 redbacks (Port)
  4 blink frogs
  3 basilisks
  A grizzly bear (Lair:6)
  6 giant toads
  A shark (Lair:4)
  Eustachio (D:10)
  16 yaks
  Grum (D:8)
  A rock worm (Lair:6)
  6 war dogs
  Edmund (D:7)
  A manticore (D:10)
  2 hippogriffs (Lair:7)
  3 jumping spiders (Port)
  A necrophage (D:9)
  4 phantoms
  A black bear (Lair:6)
  8 centaurs
  10 ice beasts
  4 orc warriors
  3 insubstantial wisps (Lair:3)
  5 giant goldfish (Lair:2)
  2 sky beasts
  13 ogres
  4 giant slugs
  7 crocodiles
  16 giant frogs
  6 tarantellas (Port)
  7 agate snails
  A yellow wasp zombie (D:10)
  7 water moccasins
  4 jellyfish
  5 electric eels
  6 ogre zombies (D:7)
  3 goliath beetles
  5 imps
  8 orc priests
  A quasit (D:7)
  9 hounds
  11 spiders (Port)
  4 big fish
  8 iguanas
  A hound skeleton (D:10)
  14 orc wizards
  7 scorpions
  4 orange rats (Lair:7)
  9 porcupines
  4 worker ants
  A jelly (D:6)
  33 green rats
  17 snakes
  6 gnolls
  A giant centipede (Lair:3)
  A lemure (D:10)
  A snake zombie (D:10)
  4 white imps
  7 worms
  2 giant mites
  An ufetubus (D:10)
  3 giant eyeballs
  5 giant geckos
  62 orcs
  11 giant cockroaches
  19 hobgoblins
  23 jackals
  2 oozes
  9 quokkas
  3 small snakes
  24 bats
  A giant gecko skeleton (D:4)
  6 giant newts
  13 goblins
  A goblin zombie (D:7)
  2 hobgoblin skeletons
  2 hobgoblin zombies (D:7)
  19 kobolds
  A kobold skeleton (D:5)
  5 orc skeletons
  13 orc zombies
  25 rats
  A bush (D:10)
  A fungus (Lair:2)
  6 plants
  10 toadstools
653 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (collateral kills)
  A big fish (Lair:6)
1 creature vanquished.

A snake (D:9)
  3 orcs
  2 hobgoblins
  A kobold (D:9)
  2 giant newts
  A giant spore (D:9)
  A goblin (D:3)
  2 rats
  8 bushes (D:10)
  A fungus (Lair:6)
  A plant (D:10)
  2 toadstools
25 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 679 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
     0 | D:1      | Nobody, the Minotaur Berserker, began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 19/19 MP: 0/0
   255 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 25/27 MP: 0/0
  1093 | D:2      | Reached skill level 5 in Fighting
  1188 | D:2      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 23/33 MP: 1/1
  1475 | D:2      | Acquired Trog's second power
  1682 | D:2      | Reached skill level 1 in Maces & Flails
  1682 | D:2      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 26/40 MP: 1/1
  2434 | D:3      | Reached skill level 1 in Unarmed Combat
  2574 | D:3      | Found a glowing drain.
  2768 | D:3      | Reached skill level 1 in Stealth
  3078 | D:3      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 30/47 MP: 1/1
  3663 | D:3      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 11/40 MP: 0/1
  3995 | D:3      | Reached skill level 6 in Fighting
  3995 | D:3      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 32/47 MP: 1/1
  4300 | D:3      | Found a glowing golden altar of the Shining One.
  4328 | D:3      | Noticed Grinder
  4362 | D:3      | Defeated Grinder
  4362 | D:3      | Reached skill level 5 in Maces & Flails
  4362 | D:3      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 23/55 MP: 2/2
  5270 | D:4      | Identified a +1 rod of destruction [ice] (10/10) (You found it on level 4 of the Dungeon)
  5327 | D:4      | Found a bloodstained altar of Trog.
  5444 | D:4      | Reached skill level 1 in Throwing
  5553 | D:4      | Found Skifu's Magic Scroll Shoppe.
  5564 | D:4      | Bought a scroll of enchant armour for 60 gold pieces
  5564 | D:4      | Bought a scroll of immolation for 11 gold pieces
  5631 | D:4      | Reached skill level 1 in Traps & Doors
  5631 | D:4      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 61/61 MP: 2/2
  5875 | D:4      | Found a radiant altar of Vehumet.
  5912 | D:4      | Acquired Trog's third power
  6153 | D:4      | Reached skill level 7 in Fighting
  6306 | D:5      | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
  6482 | D:5      | Found a shattered altar of Ashenzari.
  6825 | D:5      | Reached skill level 5 in Armour
  7314 | D:5      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 30/70 MP: 2/2
  7653 | D:5      | Reached skill level 1 in Spellcasting
  7750 | D:6      | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
  7870 | D:5      | Reached skill level 8 in Fighting
  9384 | D:7      | Noticed Edmund
  9442 | D:6      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 59/78 MP: 5/5
  9495 | D:7      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 61/71 MP: 4/4
  9515 | D:7      | Defeated Edmund
  9670 | D:7      | Found a white marble altar of Elyvilon.
 10354 | D:7      | Noticed an ogre zombie
 10366 | D:7      | Defeated an ogre zombie
 10366 | D:7      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 76/78 MP: 5/5
 10367 | D:7      | Found a staircase to the Orcish Mines.
 10367 | D:7      | Noticed an ogre zombie
 10385 | D:7      | Reached skill level 9 in Fighting
 10619 | D:7      | Noticed an orc sorcerer
 10663 | D:7      | Noticed an ogre zombie
 10694 | D:7      | Defeated an ogre zombie
 10701 | D:7      | Defeated an ogre zombie
 10862 | D:7      | Noticed an ogre zombie
 10957 | D:7      | Defeated an ogre zombie
 10972 | D:7      | Found Licar's Magical Wand Boutique.
 11064 | D:7      | Defeated an orc sorcerer
 11064 | D:7      | Reached skill level 1 in Evocations
 11178 | D:7      | Noticed an ogre zombie
 11196 | D:7      | Defeated an ogre zombie
 11242 | D:7      | Noticed an ogre zombie
 11250 | D:7      | Defeated an ogre zombie
 11985 | D:8      | Reached skill level 10 in Fighting
 12082 | D:8      | Found Reomm's Food Shoppe.
 12087 | D:8      | Found Neaho's Antique Armour Boutique.
 12221 | D:8      | Bought a meat ration for 52 gold pieces
 12590 | D:8      | Found Luhe's Magic Scroll Emporium.
 12705 | D:9      | Reached XP level 10. HP: 82/88 MP: 5/5
 12786 | D:9      | Noticed Grum
 13182 | D:8      | Defeated Grum
 13559 | D:9      | Noticed Prince Ribbit
 13653 | D:9      | Defeated Prince Ribbit
 13883 | D:9      | Received a gift from Trog
 14186 | D:10     | Entered Level 10 of the Dungeon
 14206 | D:10     | Reached skill level 10 in Maces & Flails
 14231 | D:10     | Noticed Eustachio
 14270 | D:10     | Defeated Eustachio
 14378 | D:10     | Noticed an agate snail
 14382 | D:10     | Noticed a giant slug
 14688 | D:9      | Reached skill level 11 in Fighting
 14694 | D:9      | Reached skill level 5 in Evocations
 15300 | D:10     | Found a staircase to the Lair.
 15309 | D:10     | Noticed a giant slug
 15338 | D:10     | Defeated a giant slug
 15549 | D:10     | Defeated an agate snail
 15964 | D:10     | Noticed Erolcha
 15980 | D:10     | Defeated Erolcha
 16117 | D:10     | Reached XP level 11. HP: 58/96 MP: 5/5
 16349 | D:10     | Defeated a giant slug
 17499 | D:10     | Reached skill level 10 in Armour
 18616 | Lair:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts
 19229 | Lair:1   | Reached skill level 12 in Fighting
 19666 | Lair:1   | Found a shimmering altar of Xom.
 19870 | Lair:1   | Received a gift from Trog
 20324 | Lair:1   | Identified a scroll of acquirement
 20327 | Lair:1   | Got a blue mask
 20330 | Lair:1   | Identified the +0 mask of the Dragon (You acquired it on level 1 of the Lair of Beasts)
 20499 | Lair:2   | Found a crumbling entrance.
 20509 | Spider   | Entered a spider's nest
 20885 | Spider   | Reached skill level 1 in Shields
 20912 | Spider   | Reached XP level 12. HP: 85/106 MP: 2/7
 21126 | Spider   | Received a gift from Trog
 22891 | Lair:3   | Received a gift from Trog
 23053 | Lair:3   | Reached skill level 13 in Fighting
 23947 | Lair:4   | Got a heavily runed turquoise ring
 23949 | Lair:4   | Identified the ring of Divine Compulsion (You found it on level 4 of the Lair of Beasts)
 24011 | Lair:4   | Found a staircase to the Swamp.
 24340 | Lair:4   | Reached skill level 10 in Evocations
 24342 | Lair:4   | Received a gift from Trog
 25204 | Lair:5   | Reached skill level 5 in Shields
 25832 | Lair:6   | Found a staircase to the Shoals.
 26427 | Lair:6   | Noticed a rock worm
 26431 | Lair:6   | Defeated a rock worm
 26662 | Lair:6   | Reached XP level 13. HP: 90/115 MP: 5/7
 26762 | Lair:6   | Received a gift from Trog
 27401 | Lair:7   | Found a staircase to the Slime Pits.
 27674 | Lair:7   | Reached skill level 1 in Stabbing
 29264 | D:8      | Bought a smoking plate mail for 728 gold pieces
 29265 | D:8      | Identified the cursed +6 plate mail "Shoec" (You bought it in a shop on level 8 of the Dungeon)
 29649 | Orc:1    | Entered Level 1 of the Orcish Mines
 29649 | Orc:1    | Noticed Troll's ghost (experienced TrBe)
 29658 | Orc:1    | Defeated Troll's ghost
 30106 | Orc:4    | Entered Level 4 of the Orcish Mines
 30106 | Orc:4    | Found Wazuv's Assorted Antiques.
 30116 | Orc:4    | Noticed a two-headed ogre
 30127 | Orc:4    | Noticed an ogre mage
 30127 | Orc:4    | Noticed a two-headed ogre
 30148 | Orc:3    | Received a gift from Trog
 30454 | Orc:4    | Noticed a rock troll
 30455 | Orc:4    | Noticed a two-headed ogre
 30456 | Orc:4    | Noticed a two-headed ogre
 30464 | Orc:3    | Defeated a two-headed ogre
 30547 | Orc:4    | Noticed a cyclops
 30647 | Orc:4    | Noticed a two-headed ogre
 30648 | Orc:4    | Noticed a rock troll
 30849 | Orc:4    | Noticed a two-headed ogre
 30853 | Orc:3    | Defeated a two-headed ogre
 30857 | Orc:3    | Defeated a two-headed ogre
 31213 | Orc:3    | Defeated a two-headed ogre
 31218 | Orc:3    | Defeated a rock troll
 31407 | Orc:3    | Defeated a two-headed ogre
 31407 | Orc:3    | Defeated a two-headed ogre
 31410 | Orc:3    | Defeated a rock troll
 31410 | Orc:3    | Reached skill level 14 in Fighting
 31588 | Orc:4    | Noticed a cyclops
 31599 | Orc:3    | Killed from afar by an ogre mage

I had no clue Ogre Mages were that deadly. I stair-danced with it and it two-shotted me just when I was starting to think I was pretty safe.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 26th September 2011, 11:10

Ogre mages are extremely random. Possible spell sets (from the bots):
haste other, crystal spear (3d28), blink, b.fire (3d18), b.cold (3d18), minor healing
haste other, mystic blast (3d15), invisibility, confuse, slow, teleport self
haste other, paralyse, haste, b.lightning (3d17), confuse, teleport self
haste other, sting (d10), blink, b.lightning (3d17), banishment, minor healing
haste other, throw flame (3d8), invisibility, teleport other, fireball (3d19)

You can see that these include such nice spells as crystal spear, banishment and paralyze. Usually they don't do much, sometimes they kill you. You should consider them as very very dangerous, especially on a low MR char.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 26th September 2011, 14:22

Ogre Mage : Ogre is most definitely NOT :: Orc Wizard : Orc.

Erolcha is an early wakeup call for the danger level. Apart from her and the Mines, ogre mage normal spawning is closer to the depth of Vaults.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 26th September 2011, 14:52

Stormfox wrote:Ogre Mage : Ogre is most definitely NOT :: Orc Wizard : Orc.

Erolcha is an early wakeup call for the danger level. Apart from her and the Mines, ogre mage normal spawning is closer to the depth of Vaults.

Yeah, I've begun to figure that out. They rather terrify me.

On that note, I got the ogre ending of Orc this time (with a SpEn). The regular and two-headed ones are no problem, but the magi can see invisible and are more resistant to enchantments than most monsters I've fought so far.

My options if I ignore it are Hive (I have rPois), Swamp, and Shoals (I have lev+cFlight), and I have a couple of legendary decks of summoning. Should I take on Orc:4 (if so, how)? Or should I try somewhere else? (Where?) Going deeper in the dungeon is definitely not an option right now, I ran into Nikola and have no rElec other than resistance pots (already used one to see how tough he was and if I could handle him [spoiler: I couldn't]).

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 26th September 2011, 19:17

Part of improving my gameplay was learning when to bug out and stop trying to clear a particular branch.

If Orc:4 is leaving you feeling iffy then go try something else. You can likely do Hive, and there is a good chance of you handling Swamp:1-4 and Shoals 1-4. Shoals 5 can be particularly nasty in places, but there is some minor loot available.

If you get to a situation in any of the branches (Like you did with Nikola and Ogre Mines) then just leave and try something else. The added experience, skills, and possible loots will go a long way in helping you overcome the obstacles that were stopping you elsewhere.

I've taken to clearing Hive right after Lair on most of my builds, especially if I have rPois or Poison Cloud. Great for some quick exp, there is usually some loot laying around and having access to a large supply of permafood is beneficial.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2011, 12:22

You can just exclude Nikola and skip the dungeon level for now. After some time off the level he will likely have gone back to sleep, so it's most likely safe to go from the upstairs to the downstairs, especially for a stealthy char, and even moreso for a fast char. Just run away as soon as he enters line of sight. Carry a potion of resistance of course. If you meet him and he is at the edge of LOS just step away, if you cant break LOS in a single turn, drink it. If you decide to take him down at some point note that he is vulnerable to poison, which includes curare.

Ogre mages are not so bad for a char with great MR and EV. Maybe just take them down with a deck of summoning? You can also use wands (should have good evo as a nemelexite). The piercing wands are especially good against them, because the mages are not dangerous when their band blocks their line of fire. Using a medium strength deck plus wands would probably work well. There are only four ogre mages in that ending, and their HP are not that high, so it's probably not too much of a resource drain. Note that they are vulnerable to poison. Also note that they can kill you if you get unlucky. Clearing Orc:4 would definitely be risky. Also you probably wont need the shops that soon, so you might just clear it later, after doing swamp or something.

Hive, Swamp and Shoals should all be doable. Just don't do Shoals:5 and be very careful if you want to try Swamp:5. Some swamp endings are quite easy, so you might want to grab the exp if you get one of those. On the other hand some are quite nasty, which is why you need to be careful. Also very dangerous uniques can spawn in the lair branches. Mara, Boris, Mennas, Rupert, Frederick, Wiglaf, Norris, Aizul and Xtahua can all appear (plus some others), and all of them are very dangerous. Be especially careful if you got a deep lair entrance or the branch you are in is fairly deep within lair.

Swamp is probably your best option for now. Equip rP, confusion is bad for you and MR does not protect against noxious clouds.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 28th September 2011, 04:28

Again, thanks for all the tips. The same character (playing very slowly) has pretty well cleared Hive, Swamp:1-3 and Shoals:1 (I got scared by sirens and some of the other monsters, so I didn't go any further). I've also managed to defeat two of the ogre mages in Orc:4, so I'm wandering around right now trying to give a third one some time to wander off or fall asleep (she's guarding the stairs right now).

With this character, though, I seem to be hitting another wall. I feel underpowered for every situation ahead of me, largely because there are many magic-resistant enemies that are difficult to sneak up on and I only just began branching into more offensive types of magic. In Swamp, the main problems are insubstantial wisps and vampire mosquitoes (not too high MR, but can't be hibernated and the packs are fast enough to scare even Spriggans), in addition to a ghost of a mighty DrSk waiting to greet me on Swamp:4 -- didn't bother sticking around long enough to scout him. In Shoals...well, I have a sort of irrational fear about the entire branch. In Orc, obviously, there are the Ogre Mages, and in the main dungeon...well, *everything* is getting nasty. So I find myself without anywhere safe to go and without the knowledge necessary

Here's the dump, if anybody's interested.
  Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.9.0 character file.

Elrohim the Unseen (Spriggan Enchanter)            Turns: 45345, Time: 04:56:25

HP  65/65 (67)   AC  5     Str  6      XL: 15   Next: 82%
MP  28/38        EV 31     Int 20      God: Nemelex Xobeh [****..]
Gold 1641        SH 16     Dex 18      Spells:  8 memorised, 18 levels left

Res.Fire  : + . .   See Invis. : +    u - +4 dwarf dagger (elec)
Res.Cold  : . . .   Warding    : . .  G - +2 orc robe {rF+}
Life Prot.: . . .   Conserve   : .    f - +0 buckler
Res.Poison: +       Clarity    : .    A - +0 elf cloak
Res.Elec. : .       Spirit.Shd : .    (gloves unavailable)
Sust.Abil.: . .     Stasis     : .    (boots unavailable)
Res.Mut.  : .       Ctrl.Telep.: .    t - amulet of controlled flight
Res.Rott. : .       Levitation : .    r - ring of levitation
Saprovore : . . .   Ctrl.Flight: +    D - ring of poison resistance

@: invisible, very slightly glowing, very quick, very resistant to hostile
enchantments, incredibly stealthy
A: unfitting armour, talons 1, see invisible, berserk 1, herbivore 3, speed 3,
slow metabolism 3
a: Draw One, Peek at Two, Triple Draw, Mark Four, Renounce Religion, Evoke
Levitation

You are on level 3 of the Orcish Mines.
You worship Nemelex Xobeh.
Nemelex Xobeh is extremely pleased with you.
You are full.

You have visited 7 branches of the dungeon, and seen 35 of its levels.

You have collected 2716 gold pieces.
You have spent 1095 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 u - a +4,+4 dwarven dagger of electrocution (weapon)
Missiles
 d - 15 +1 darts (quivered)
 z - 2 curare-tipped needles
Armour
 f - a +0 buckler (worn)
 A - a +0 elven cloak (worn)
 G - a +2 orcish robe of fire resistance (worn)
Magical devices
 b - a wand of hasting {zapped: 2}
 s - a wand of teleportation (8)
 v - a wand of teleportation
Comestibles
 c - 9 strawberries
Scrolls
 g - 2 scrolls of identify
 i - a scroll of fear
 k - a scroll of fog
 C - 2 scrolls of teleportation
 F - 2 scrolls of blinking
 H - 3 scrolls of remove curse
 K - a scroll labeled LIT ETIXETZ {tried}
Jewellery
 h - an uncursed ring of teleport control
 r - a ring of levitation (right hand)
 t - an amulet of controlled flight (around neck)
 D - a ring of poison resistance (left hand)
Potions
 a - a potion of might
 o - a potion of agility
 p - 3 potions of healing
 q - a potion of brilliance
 x - 2 potions of heal wounds
 E - a potion of resistance
 L - a potion of speed
 N - 2 potions of magic
Miscellaneous
 e - an ornate deck of cards {god gift}
 l - a legendary deck of summonings {drawn: 1} {god gift}
 m - a legendary deck of summonings {drawn: 5} {god gift}
 y - a legendary deck of summonings {Foxfire} {god gift}
 B - a plain deck of summonings {drawn: 9} {god gift}
 I - an ornate deck of summonings {Foxfire} {god gift}
 M - an ornate deck of cards {god gift}

Skills:
 - Level 4 Fighting
 - Level 10 Short Blades
 - Level 1 Throwing
 - Level 15 Dodging
 - Level 18 Stealth
 - Level 15 Stabbing
 * Level 6 Shields
 * Level 7 Traps & Doors
 - Level 1 Unarmed Combat
 * Level 15 Spellcasting
 - Level 1 Conjurations
 - Level 12 Hexes
 * Level 7 Charms
 - Level 1 Summonings
 * Level 3 Ice Magic
 * Level 1 Poison Magic
 - Level 13 Evocations

You have 18 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Success   Level  Hunger
a - Throw Frost           Ice/Conj       ####...      Excellent   2    None
b - Ensorcelled Hibernat  Ice/Hex        ######.      Excellent   2    None
c - Confuse               Hex            #######..    Excellent   3    None
d - Enslavement           Hex            #######..    Excellent   4    None
e - Invisibility          Hex            #######..    Great       6    Honeycomb
f - Abjuration            Summ           ####......   Great       3    None
g - Regeneration          Chrm/Necr      #####.....   Excellent   3    None
h - Ozocubu's Armour      Ice/Chrm       #####.....   Excellent   3    None

Branches:
Dungeon (14/27)            Temple (1/1) D:5             Orc (4/4) D:11
   Lair (8/8) D:11          Swamp (4/5) Lair:2       Shoals (2/5) Lair:6
  Slime (0/6) Lair:7         Hive (2/2) D:13       
   Elf: Orc:3-4      Vault: D:14-19     

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
The Shining One
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin
Beogh

Shops:
D:4: =  D:5: =  D:7: [  D:9: [!+  Orc:4: =??!

Annotations
Lair:8 exclusion: oklob plant
Hive:2 exclusion: 4 oklob plants

You are tiny and cannot use many weapons and most armour.
You have supernaturally acute eyesight.
You are a herbivore.
You cover ground extremely quickly.
You need consume almost no food.
You have sharp toenails.
You tend to lose your temper in combat.

Message History

You kill the ogre!
Casting: Ensorcelled Hibernation
Confirm with . or Enter, or press ? or * to list all spells.
Aiming: Ensorcelled Hibernation
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - ogre
Aim: An ogre, wielding a glowing great mace
The ogre looks drowsy...
The helpless ogre fails to defend itself.
You spit the helpless ogre like a pig!!!
You kill the ogre!
There is a stone staircase leading down, spattered with blood here.
Items here: %% ))) [
There is a stone staircase leading up, spattered with blood here.
Things that are here:
an orc skeleton; an orcish short sword; an orcish club
a runed orcish leather armour
Save game and exit?
Welcome back, Elrohim the Spriggan Enchanter.
Nemelex Xobeh says: It's all in the cards!
Press ? for a list of commands and other information.

#####.##  ###
      ##.#....####.##
    ###........##...#
  ###.#.......####..##
 ##.......[..##......##
 #....#.............#.##
 ##.##..........).[....#
  #####.....)...f).##.##
###.##.#.f......@>)####
#.......#.......))%.##
.......##%)..[#.)..).#
).....##.)......##..##
..[)....))..#)...#.##
)..))...([.<(#......#
.........^(.)##....##
............##...###
....(........##.##

Vanquished Creatures
  A siren (Shoals:1)
  Josephine (Orc:2)
  Harold (D:11)
  8 hydras
  The ghost of mahandle the Eclecticist, a powerful SpVM of Vehumet (Lair:5)
  3 alligators
  Nessos (D:11)
  An orc high priest (Orc:3)
  An ogre mage (Orc:4)
  A catoblepas (Lair:6)
  2 skeletal warriors (D:11)
  An unseen horror (D:10)
  A centaur warrior (D:13)
  2 lindwurms (Lair:8)
  An orc knight (Orc:3)
  A hill giant (D:12)
  4 sea snakes
  An oklob plant (D:11)
  7 spiny worms (Lair:8)
  Maurice (D:9)
  A cyclops (D:12)
  A trapdoor spider zombie (D:12)
  4 black mambas
  7 spiny frogs
  3 elephant slugs
  16 slime creatures
  Psyche (D:9)
  4 mermaids (Shoals:1)
  3 ugly things (D:14)
  Grinder (D:6)
  Sonja (D:10)
  2 queen bees
  2 polar bears
  3 trolls
  7 komodo dragons
  2 baby alligators (Swamp:3)
  2 bog mummies
  3 snapping turtles (Shoals:1)
  7 two-headed ogres
  2 grizzly bears
  6 giant fireflies (Lair:8)
  24 blink frogs
  3 basilisks
  17 giant toads
  3 wyverns
  35 yaks
  4 merfolk (Shoals:1)
  A shark (Shoals:1)
  A hungry ghost (D:13)
  A wraith (D:9)
  A fire crab zombie (Orc:2)
  13 war dogs
  A fire drake (Lair:8)
  8 hippogriffs
  Grum (D:10)
  A manticore (Shoals:1)
  16 vampire mosquitoes
  A draconian zombie (Orc:2)
  5 rock worms (Lair:8)
  A mermaid skeleton (Orc:2)
  Menkaure (D:6)
  A hell hound (Lair:8)
  15 swamp worms
  A necrophage (D:13)
  A cyclops skeleton (D:12)
  3 insubstantial wisps (Swamp:2)
  3 sky beasts
  3 swamp drakes (Swamp:3)
  9 orc warriors
  A black bear (Lair:3)
  A phantom (D:12)
  4 kenku (Swamp:3)
  2 boring beetles
  12 ogres
  15 centaurs
  8 crocodiles
  An ice beast (D:7)
  Duvessa (D:6)
  5 wargs
  6 giant slugs
  A soldier ant zombie (D:9)
  3 brain worms (Lair:8)
  11 water moccasins
  21 giant frogs
  3 wolves (Lair:8)
  Blork the orc (D:6)
  4 giant leeches
  14 big kobolds
  3 agate snails
  2 eyes of draining
  2 boulder beetles
  6 jellyfish
  A wight (D:10)
  4 electric eels (Swamp:2)
  A fire bat (D:9)
  193 killer bees
  2 goliath beetles
  14 orc priests
  2 imps (D:7)
  2 big kobold skeletons
  6 iguanas
  2 shadows
  21 hounds
  A hound zombie (D:10)
  10 big fish (Hive:2)
  16 orc wizards
  9 porcupines
  42 sheep
  5 worker ants
  A goliath beetle zombie (D:12)
  43 green rats
  2 giant centipedes
  A giant centipede zombie (D:12)
  An iguana zombie (D:6)
  11 snakes
  A giant mite (D:10)
  A snake skeleton (D:10)
  12 white imps
  19 worms
  9 giant geckos
  129 orcs
  33 bats
  7 giant cockroaches
  21 goblins
  23 hobgoblins
  23 jackals
  8 quokkas
  A giant gecko zombie (D:6)
  10 giant newts
  2 giant spores
  41 killer bee larvae
  35 kobolds
  A kobold zombie (D:5)
  2 orc skeletons
  2 orc zombies (Orc:2)
  A quokka skeleton (D:7)
  A quokka zombie (D:7)
  23 rats
  A small snake (D:3)
  7 ballistomycetes
  4 fungi
  18 plants
  16 toadstools
1260 creatures vanquished.

A skeletal warrior (D:12)
  2 dancing weapons
  A polar bear (Lair:7)
  A two-headed ogre (Orc:4)
  A baby alligator (Swamp:3)
  2 war dogs (Lair:8)
  A soldier ant (D:5)
  A kenku (Swamp:3)
  2 ogres (Orc:4)
  A centaur (D:10)
  2 wolves (Lair:8)
  A warg (Lair:8)
  A killer bee zombie (D:11)
  An orc wizard (D:5)
  3 jellies
  A worm (Lair:8)
  2 orcs (Orc:4)
  3 jackals (Lair:8)
  A giant newt (D:5)
  A kobold (D:5)
  A quokka (Lair:1)
31 creatures vanquished.

A vapour (Orc:4)
  3 dancing weapons
  A spiny frog (D:12)
  5 slime creatures
  A fire drake skeleton (Lair:5)
  6 insubstantial wisps
  A komodo dragon skeleton (D:11)
  Dowan (D:6)
  2 crocodile skeletons
  A sheep (D:12)
  A midge (Swamp:3)
  A lemure (D:11)
  3 shadow imps
  An ufetubus (Lair:1)
  2 orcs
  2 goblins
  7 killer bee larvae
  A kobold (D:3)
  A rat (Swamp:1)
  2 plants (Shoals:2)
  32 toadstools
76 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 1367 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
     0 | D:1      | Elrohim, the Spriggan Enchanter, began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 9/9 MP: 4/4
   237 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 5/13 MP: 7/7
   242 | D:1      | Learned a level 2 spell: Ensorcelled Hibernation
  1629 | D:2      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 16/16 MP: 9/9
  2880 | D:3      | Reached skill level 5 in Stealth
  2880 | D:3      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 17/21 MP: 12/12
  3395 | D:4      | Found an ancient bone altar of Kikubaaqudgha.
  3489 | D:4      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 22/24 MP: 13/15
  3702 | D:4      | Found Kaymukh's Jewellery Boutique.
  3973 | D:5      | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
  4292 | D:4      | Learned a level 3 spell: Confuse
  4543 | D:5      | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
  4559 | Temple   | Entered the Ecumenical Temple
  4613 | Temple   | Became a worshipper of Nemelex Xobeh
  4762 | D:5      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 21/28 MP: 14/19
  4765 | D:5      | Reached skill level 6 in Stealth
  4929 | D:5      | Received a gift from Nemelex Xobeh
  5159 | D:5      | Found Poalorgh's Jewellery Shoppe.
  5167 | D:5      | Noticed a glowing short sword
  5178 | D:5      | Noticed a soldier ant
  5182 | D:5      | Noticed a boring beetle
  5195 | D:5      | Defeated a soldier ant
  5201 | D:5      | Defeated a glowing short sword
  5342 | D:4      | Bought an uncursed ring of poison resistance for 240 gold pieces
  5483 | D:6      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 32/32 MP: 13/20
  5547 | D:6      | Noticed Grinder
  5833 | D:6      | Defeated Grinder
  5833 | D:6      | Reached skill level 7 in Stealth
  6138 | D:6      | Noticed Dowan
  6141 | D:6      | Noticed Blork the orc
  6141 | D:6      | Noticed Duvessa
  6143 | D:6      | Noticed Menkaure
  6252 | D:6      | Defeated Dowan
  6258 | D:6      | Defeated Blork the orc
  6258 | D:6      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 33/37 MP: 7/23
  6272 | D:6      | Defeated Duvessa
  6286 | D:6      | Acquired Nemelex Xobeh's first power
  6758 | D:6      | Defeated Menkaure
  6966 | D:7      | Reached skill level 8 in Stealth
  7043 | D:6      | Got a shimmering flail
  7044 | D:6      | Identified the cursed flail of Xoac {antimagic, rN+ MR Str+3} (You found it on level 6 of the Dungeon)
  7226 | D:7      | Gained mutation: You tend to lose your temper in combat.
  7226 | D:7      | Gained mutation: Space occasionally distorts in your vicinity.
  7226 | D:7      | Gained mutation: You are agile (Dex +1).
  7227 | D:7      | Lost mutation: You are agile (Dex +1).
  7227 | D:7      | Lost mutation: You tend to lose your temper in combat.
  7227 | D:7      | Lost mutation: Space occasionally distorts in your vicinity.
  7249 | D:7      | Learned a level 4 spell: Enslavement
  7302 | D:7      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 40/40 MP: 19/25
  7354 | D:7      | Reached skill level 9 in Stealth
  7800 | D:7      | Found Psuistrasm's Armour Boutique.
  8741 | D:8      | Found a blossoming altar of Fedhas.
  8770 | D:8      | Reached skill level 10 in Stealth
  9179 | D:9      | Found a deep blue altar of Sif Muna.
  9188 | D:9      | Found a glowing silver altar of Zin.
  9200 | D:9      | Found a burning altar of Makhleb.
  9203 | D:9      | Found a blossoming altar of Fedhas.
  9242 | D:9      | Found a white marble altar of Elyvilon.
  9247 | D:9      | Reached XP level 10. HP: 44/44 MP: 28/28
  9380 | D:9      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 40/40 MP: 9/27
  9688 | D:9      | Found a white marble altar of Elyvilon.
  9748 | D:9      | Acquired Nemelex Xobeh's second power
 10077 | D:9      | Found an iron altar of Okawaru.
 10099 | D:9      | Reached XP level 10. HP: 44/44 MP: 23/28
 10123 | D:9      | Found Kotaumu's Book Boutique.
 10288 | D:9      | Noticed Psyche
 10294 | D:9      | Defeated Psyche
 10300 | D:9      | Received a gift from Nemelex Xobeh
 10572 | D:8      | Reached skill level 11 in Stealth
 10885 | D:9      | Noticed Maurice
 10904 | D:9      | Defeated Maurice
 10926 | D:9      | Found Ciadgh's Armour Boutique.
 10937 | D:9      | Found Qaniapin's Distillery.
 11026 | D:10     | Entered Level 10 of the Dungeon
 11027 | D:10     | Noticed Sonja
 11527 | D:9      | Reached skill level 12 in Stealth
 11865 | D:11     | Noticed Harold
 12169 | D:11     | Found a staircase to the Orcish Mines.
 12285 | D:11     | Noticed Nessos
 12321 | D:11     | Defeated Nessos
 12321 | D:11     | Reached XP level 11. HP: 16/48 MP: 17/30
 12732 | D:11     | Found a staircase to the Lair.
 12830 | Lair:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts
 13235 | Lair:1   | Received a gift from Nemelex Xobeh
 13664 | Lair:1   | Reached skill level 13 in Stealth
 14017 | Lair:3   | Found a frozen archway.
 14157 | Lair:2   | Found a staircase to the Swamp.
 15123 | Lair:2   | Gained mutation: You are agile (Dex +1).
 16245 | Lair:3   | Reached skill level 14 in Stealth
 16490 | Lair:3   | Received a gift from Nemelex Xobeh
 16761 | Lair:4   | Reached XP level 12. HP: 52/52 MP: 31/33
 17253 | Lair:4   | Learned a level 6 spell: Invisibility
 18520 | Lair:3   | Reached skill level 15 in Stealth
 18710 | Lair:5   | Noticed mahandle's ghost (powerful SpVM)
 18744 | Lair:5   | Defeated mahandle's ghost
 19038 | Lair:5   | Acquired Nemelex Xobeh's third power
 19908 | Lair:6   | Found a staircase to the Shoals.
 20941 | Lair:6   | Received a gift from Nemelex Xobeh
 21631 | Lair:7   | Reached XP level 13. HP: 50/56 MP: 26/35
 21748 | Lair:6   | Paralysed by you for 7 turns
 21800 | Lair:7   | Found a staircase to the Slime Pits.
 21810 | Lair:7   | Found a white marble altar of Elyvilon.
 22752 | Lair:2   | Received a gift from Nemelex Xobeh
 22891 | D:11     | Defeated Harold
 23276 | D:10     | Found an iron altar of Okawaru.
 23427 | D:10     | Noticed Grum
 23569 | D:10     | Defeated Grum
 23700 | D:10     | Defeated Sonja
 23963 | Orc:1    | Entered Level 1 of the Orcish Mines
 24977 | Orc:3    | Noticed an orc high priest
 24978 | Orc:3    | Found a roughly hewn altar of Beogh.
 25268 | Orc:2    | Received a gift from Nemelex Xobeh
 25444 | Orc:2    | Noticed Josephine
 25466 | Orc:2    | Defeated Josephine
 25501 | Orc:2    | Reached skill level 16 in Stealth
 26577 | Orc:2    | Found a roughly hewn altar of Beogh.
 26864 | Orc:3    | Defeated an orc high priest
 27309 | D:12     | Learned a level 3 spell: Abjuration
 27572 | D:12     | Reached skill level 10 in Short Blades
 28286 | D:12     | Noticed an insubstantial wisp
 28499 | D:11     | Reached skill level 1 in Summonings
 28502 | D:11     | Gained mutation: You have sharp toenails.
 28905 | D:12     | Received a gift from Nemelex Xobeh
 29111 | D:12     | Reached skill level 17 in Stealth
 29497 | D:13     | Reached skill level 1 in Unarmed Combat
 29506 | D:13     | Noticed a queen bee
 29853 | D:13     | Reached XP level 14. HP: 61/61 MP: 33/36
 29861 | D:13     | Found a staircase to the Hive.
 29873 | D:13     | Defeated a queen bee
 31324 | Lair:8   | Entered Level 8 of the Lair of Beasts
 31370 | Lair:7   | Acquired Nemelex Xobeh's fourth power
 31370 | Lair:7   | Received a gift from Nemelex Xobeh
 32980 | Lair:8   | Noticed a rock worm
 33018 | Lair:8   | Defeated a rock worm
 33027 | Lair:8   | Noticed a spiny worm
 33029 | Lair:8   | Defeated a spiny worm
 33044 | Lair:8   | Noticed a rock worm
 33062 | Lair:8   | Defeated a rock worm
 33065 | Lair:8   | Noticed a spiny worm
 33066 | Lair:8   | Noticed a rock worm
 33067 | Lair:8   | Noticed a spiny worm
 33070 | Lair:8   | Defeated a spiny worm
 33078 | Lair:8   | Defeated a spiny worm
 33087 | Lair:8   | Noticed a rock worm
 33091 | Lair:8   | Defeated a rock worm
 33105 | Lair:8   | Defeated a rock worm
 33109 | Lair:8   | Noticed a spiny worm
 33113 | Lair:8   | Defeated a spiny worm
 33286 | Lair:8   | Noticed a rock worm
 33288 | Lair:8   | Noticed a spiny worm
 33354 | Lair:8   | Defeated a rock worm
 33439 | Lair:8   | Defeated a spiny worm
 33439 | Lair:8   | Reached skill level 18 in Stealth
 33513 | Lair:8   | Noticed a brain worm
 33514 | Lair:8   | Noticed a spiny worm
 33514 | Lair:8   | Noticed a brain worm
 33516 | Lair:8   | Noticed a brain worm
 33516 | Lair:8   | Noticed a spiny worm
 33517 | Lair:8   | Defeated a brain worm
 33518 | Lair:8   | Defeated a brain worm
 33572 | Lair:8   | Defeated a spiny worm
 33586 | Lair:8   | Defeated a brain worm
 33679 | Lair:8   | Defeated a spiny worm
 34225 | Lair:2   | Learned a level 3 spell: Poison Weapon
 34726 | D:14     | Noticed Nikola
 34972 | Orc:4    | Entered Level 4 of the Orcish Mines
 35278 | D:4      | Bought an uncursed ring of levitation for 210 gold pieces
 35338 | D:5      | Bought an uncursed amulet of controlled flight for 165 gold pieces
 35689 | Orc:3    | Reached skill level 1 in Charms
 35910 | Lair:2   | Learned a level 3 spell: Regeneration
 36040 | D:9      | Bought a book of Wizardry for 480 gold pieces
 36236 | Orc:4    | Noticed a two-headed ogre
 36251 | Orc:4    | Defeated a two-headed ogre
 36646 | Orc:4    | Noticed a two-headed ogre
 36647 | Orc:4    | Found Gawke's Magic Scroll Emporium.
 36647 | Orc:4    | Found Fiecohea's Distillery.
 36647 | Orc:4    | Noticed an ogre mage
 36648 | Orc:4    | Found Dutiuw's Jewellery Boutique.
 36648 | Orc:4    | Found Nihuorai's Magic Scroll Emporium.
 36648 | Orc:4    | Noticed an ogre mage
 36649 | Orc:4    | Noticed a two-headed ogre
 36649 | Orc:4    | Noticed an ogre mage
 36800 | Hive:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Hive
 37042 | Hive:2   | Entered Level 2 of the Hive
 37141 | Hive:2   | Reached skill level 1 in Poison Magic
 37295 | Hive:2   | Lost mutation: You are agile (Dex +1).
 37369 | Hive:2   | Reached skill level 5 in Shields
 37455 | Hive:2   | Received a gift from Nemelex Xobeh
 38150 | Hive:2   | Reached XP level 15. HP: 57/67 MP: 17/37
 39265 | Hive:1   | Received a gift from Nemelex Xobeh
 39681 | Swamp:1  | Entered Level 1 of the Swamp
 40102 | Swamp:1  | Reached skill level 5 in Charms
 40569 | Lair:2   | Learned a level 2 spell: Throw Frost
 41069 | Swamp:1  | Got a twisted war axe
 41070 | Swamp:1  | Identified the +0,+6 war axe "Amya" (You found it on level 1 of the Swamp)
 41461 | Swamp:4  | Gained mutation: You tend to lose your temper in combat.
 41647 | Swamp:3  | Reached skill level 5 in Traps & Doors
 41848 | Swamp:3  | Reached skill level 15 in Stabbing
 42296 | Swamp:3  | Reached skill level 15 in Spellcasting
 42512 | Swamp:3  | Received a gift from Nemelex Xobeh
 42617 | Swamp:4  | Noticed Leviathan's ghost (mighty DrSk)
 42776 | Shoals:1 | Entered Level 1 of the Shoals
 43970 | Shoals:1 | Reached skill level 1 in Conjurations
 44331 | Shoals:1 | Reached skill level 15 in Dodging
 44837 | Lair:2   | Learned a level 3 spell: Ozocubu's Armour
 44914 | Orc:4    | Defeated an ogre mage
 44918 | Orc:4    | Received a gift from Nemelex Xobeh
 44921 | Orc:4    | Noticed a two-headed ogre
 44925 | Orc:4    | Defeated a two-headed ogre
 44944 | Orc:4    | Defeated a two-headed ogre
 44950 | Orc:4    | Noticed a two-headed ogre
 44974 | Orc:4    | Noticed a two-headed ogre
 44975 | Orc:4    | Noticed a two-headed ogre
 44988 | Orc:4    | an ogre mage (ally) was defeated
 45144 | Orc:3    | Defeated a two-headed ogre
 45172 | Orc:3    | Defeated a two-headed ogre
 45182 | Orc:3    | Defeated a two-headed ogre
 45331 | Orc:3    | Defeated a two-headed ogre

So...what's the best way and time for SpEn to branch out from hexes, which seem to drop off severely in the later game? Also, any tips on what I should do with this character? Have I forced him into an early death by skill allocation/spells learned, or is there still hope? ...gah, I just have so many questions. I'm terrible at this game.

...on a note entirely unrelated to everything, I learned why too much glow is bad when I spammed an unhealthy amount of invisibility and got berserkitis. So that's fun.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 28th September 2011, 06:00

You've already got a start on Ice Magic, I would run with that. It's even better if you're undead, but Ice Magic has enough killing power and other good stuff that you won't be disappointed. Until you get there, though, don't forget about your decks. You'll get plenty of them from Nemelex, so don't be afraid to spam an army of summons if you're facing something tough. Spriggans of Nemelex especially have a seemingly endless supply of bodyguards...

And don't beat yourself up for having so many questions. The mere act of asking about this stuff shows you have a desire to evolve beyond noob-hood. That's not dumb, it's commendable.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 28th September 2011, 08:55

Draconian ghosts are nasty. You definitely want some rN to guard against the breath. If you have a book of Necromancy you might want to consider branching into that. Dispel undead is great (also for mosquitoes and other undead which you might have trouble with), and some other spells are also really helpful.

As a SpEn you always need some way to kill stuff you cant stab. The usual options are magic (conjurations or summoning mostly, and of course charms for backup), god, and weapons. Nemelex is obviously very very good for this with decks of summoning. Don't be afraid to use decks, especially low tier ones. Using decks kills stuff and gives you piety which gives you more decks, which might be better than the ones you just used up. It is a beautiful cycle. Don't waste them of course, especially legendary ones.

Having magic or good fighting skills as a backup is good of course. Spriggans have a bit of a hard time with both. Killing late game monsters with short blades only works well with slaying. So if you have any artifacts that add damage or a ring of slaying with a good damage bonus, wear that stuff and start killing things. Spriggan offensive magic apts are mostly pretty bad, but this can be overcome if you focus on few schools.

hxy

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 28th September 2011, 12:12

Many high level enemies have high MR so Hexes might not be useful later in the game..

I'd go for a stealth stabber/fighter build:
- leave Fighting on, it adds to HP
- level short blades to 12 in case you find a good short sword or quickblade
- pick up some utility spells if you can find them - Blink, Flight, Passwall (good for stabbing)
- leave Stealth on
- turn off Ice and Poison

Sewers Scotsman

Post Wednesday, 28th September 2011, 15:48

You can cast confuse at the vampire mosquitoes and then stab them.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 28th September 2011, 16:01

Confidence Interval wrote:You can cast confuse at the vampire mosquitoes and then stab them.

And I do, but they come in packs, move very quickly, and cause rot, so they can still give me quite a bit of trouble while I'm working past their MR

Edit so I don't double-post: Ha! I just came back to the level Nikola was on, found him sleeping, and stabbed him (then hit him again with the dagger, because he was only almost dead). No more Nikola, and I can rest easier.

Edit2:
You climb downwards.
3 hell hounds, 3 ugly things, 3 fire elementals, a rock troll and Azrael come into view.

And so ends my journey down into the main dungeon. I took care of 3 hell hounds, 4 ugly things, 2 fire elementals, a rock troll, and Azrael while invisible, then saw a Yaktaur, even more ugly things, and so on and so forth until I realized that I probably wasn't ready for a deeper-dungeon open level. :D

Edit3: And...player ghost gone at the cost of three cards from a legendary deck of summonings. I regret nothing.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 29th September 2011, 00:13

Okay, I'm sorry in advance for the double-post here.

but...

I GOT THE DECAYING RUNE OF ZOT!!!!!!!!!

This represents a monumental step forward for me and was, as it turns out, laughably easy to do. I turned invisible, levitated, and stabbed all those wonderful can'tseeinvisible dragons guarding the rune. This feeling...this is why I keep playing the game. I'm just basking in the glow of my first rune right now.

:D :D :D :D :D

Anyway, the wall I was up against, as I said previously, is gone, and I feel confident that I will eventually be able to win this incredible game. Slowly but surely, I'm getting there.

Oh, sweet victory.

of note: My character is almost unchanged from where I posted that I was stuck; I've just learned how to play it better. Thanks for the tips, guys; they've helped enormously.

Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.9.0 character file.

Elrohim the Unseen (Spriggan Enchanter)            Turns: 53458, Time: 05:49:28

HP  75/75        AC  7     Str  6      XL: 16   Next: 68%
MP  28/39        EV 32     Int 20      God: Nemelex Xobeh [****..]
Gold 1053        SH 17     Dex 19      Spells:  9 memorised, 17 levels left

Res.Fire  : + . .   See Invis. : +    u - +4,+5 dwarf dagger (elec)
Res.Cold  : . . .   Warding    : . .  G - +2 orc robe {rF+}
Life Prot.: . . .   Conserve   : .    f - +0 buckler
Res.Poison: +       Clarity    : .    c - +2 cloak
Res.Elec. : .       Spirit.Shd : .    (gloves unavailable)
Sust.Abil.: . .     Stasis     : .    (boots unavailable)
Res.Mut.  : .       Ctrl.Telep.: .    t - amulet of controlled flight
Res.Rott. : .       Levitation : +    r - cursed ring of levitation
Saprovore : . . .   Ctrl.Flight: +    D - ring of poison resistance

@: invisible, flying, very slightly glowing, very quick, very resistant to
hostile enchantments, incredibly stealthy
A: unfitting armour, talons 1, see invisible, berserk 1, herbivore 3, speed 3,
slow metabolism 3, Dex +1
a: Draw One, Peek at Two, Triple Draw, Mark Four, Renounce Religion, Stop
Levitating
}: 1/15 runes: decaying

You are on level 5 of the Swamp.
You worship Nemelex Xobeh.
Nemelex Xobeh is extremely pleased with you.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 7 branches of the dungeon, and seen 38 of its levels.

You have collected 2952 gold pieces.
You have spent 1919 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 u - a +4,+5 dwarven dagger of electrocution (weapon)
Missiles
 d - 15 +1 darts (quivered)
 z - 2 curare-tipped needles
Armour
 c - a +2 cloak (worn)
 f - a +0 buckler (worn)
 G - a +2 orcish robe of fire resistance (worn)
Magical devices
 b - a wand of hasting {zapped: 2}
 s - a wand of teleportation (8)
 v - a wand of teleportation (6)
 w - a wand of draining
Comestibles
 g - a bread ration
Scrolls
 i - a scroll of fear
 k - a scroll of fog
 n - a scroll of torment
 C - 2 scrolls of teleportation
 F - 2 scrolls of blinking
 H - 2 scrolls of remove curse
Jewellery
 h - an uncursed ring of teleport control
 j - the ring "Madeog" {+Inv Int+3 Dam+3}
   (You bought it in a shop on level 4 of the Orcish Mines)   

[ring of invisibility]

It affects your intelligence (+3).
   It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+3).
 o - a cursed +1 ring of evasion
 r - a cursed ring of levitation (right hand)
 t - an amulet of controlled flight (around neck)
 y - a shiny iron ring
 D - a ring of poison resistance (left hand)
Potions
 a - a potion of might
 p - 2 potions of healing
 q - a potion of berserk rage
 x - 2 potions of heal wounds
 A - a potion of levitation
 E - a potion of resistance
 J - a potion of restore abilities
 L - a potion of speed
 N - a potion of magic
Miscellaneous
 e - an ornate deck of summonings {Foxfire} {god gift}
 l - a legendary deck of summonings {drawn: 1} {god gift}
 m - a legendary deck of summonings {drawn: 10} {god gift}
 B - a plain deck of summonings {drawn: 10} {god gift}
 I - an ornate deck of summonings {Foxfire} {god gift}
 K - a legendary deck of cards {god gift}

Skills:
 * Level 6 Fighting
 - Level 10 Short Blades
 - Level 1 Throwing
 - Level 15 Dodging
 - Level 18 Stealth
 - Level 15 Stabbing
 * Level 7 Shields
 * Level 9 Traps & Doors
 - Level 1 Unarmed Combat
 * Level 16 Spellcasting
 - Level 1 Conjurations
 - Level 12 Hexes
 - Level 7 Charms
 - Level 1 Summonings
 - Level 3 Ice Magic
 * Level 4 Poison Magic
 - Level 13 Evocations

You have 17 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Success   Level  Hunger
a - Throw Frost           Ice/Conj       ####...      Excellent   2    None
b - Ensorcelled Hibernat  Ice/Hex        ######.      Excellent   2    None
c - Confuse               Hex            #######..    Excellent   3    None
d - Enslavement           Hex            #######..    Excellent   4    None
e - Invisibility          Hex            #######..    Excellent   6    Honeycomb
f - Abjuration            Summ           ####......   Great       3    None
g - Regeneration          Chrm/Necr      #####.....   Excellent   3    None
h - Ozocubu's Armour      Ice/Chrm       ######....   Excellent   3    None
i - Olgreb's Toxic Radia  Pois           N/A          Great       4    None

Branches:
Dungeon (16/27)            Temple (1/1) D:5             Orc (4/4) D:11
   Lair (8/8) D:11          Swamp (5/5) Lair:2       Shoals (2/5) Lair:6
  Slime (0/6) Lair:7         Hive (2/2) D:13       
   Elf: Orc:3-4      Vault: D:14-19     

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
The Shining One
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin
Beogh

Shops:
D:4: =  D:5: =  D:7: [  D:9: [!+  Orc:4: =??!

Annotations
Lair:8 exclusion: oklob plant
Hive:2 exclusion: 4 oklob plants

You are tiny and cannot use many weapons and most armour.
You have supernaturally acute eyesight.
You are a herbivore.
You cover ground extremely quickly.
You need consume almost no food.
You have sharp toenails.
You have a somewhat thin skeletal structure (Dex +2, Str -1, Stlth).
You tend to lose your temper in combat.
Your muscles are strong, but stiff (Str +1, Dex -1).

Message History

Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - lava worm
Aim: A lava worm (lava, lightly wounded, hasn't noticed you)
The lava worm easily resists. You block the lava worm's attack.
Casting: Ensorcelled Hibernation
Confirm with . or Enter, or press ? or * to list all spells.
Aiming: Ensorcelled Hibernation
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f/p - lava worm
Aim: A lava worm (lava, lightly wounded)
The lava worm looks drowsy...
The helpless lava worm fails to defend itself.
You open the helpless lava worm like a pillowcase!!!
You kill the lava worm!
There is some lava here.
There is some lava here.
Things that are here:
a rotting swamp drake corpse; a decaying rune of Zot
There are several objects here.
Pick up a rotting swamp drake corpse? ((y)es/(n)o/(a)ll/(m)enu/*?g,/q)
Pick up a decaying rune of Zot? ((y)es/(n)o/(a)ll/(m)enu/*?g,/q)
You pick up the decaying rune and feel its power.

≈♣###.##♣≈♣♣♣§≈≈§≈≈§♣##.#♣♣≈≈.≈≈.
≈♣#.≈..##♣####♣♣♣*♣*##≈##♣§≈§≈§≈≈
♣*#≈.≈≈.###..########.≈#♣♣≈≈≈§≈..
≈*##..≈≈...≈≈.f.##.#...###♣≈.§§.≈
***##.§≈≈≈≈≈≈≈.≈..§..≈≈..#♣<≈♣§♣♣
≈**#..≈§§§#≈≈≈§≈.≈≈≈≈§§.##♣≈..§§♣
≈≈*##.≈§§≈##≈≈§§§§§§§%.##♣≈≈≈≈≈≈.
,≈* #≈.§§≈§§##≈≈§§.§####*≈≈≈≈≈≈≈.
,,,*###.≈≈≈##♣##@§§##***≈≈≈.§≈≈≈.
,,≈***##.≈##♣.*#####*≈≈≈≈≈≈≈§≈§≈.
,,≈≈≈≈*####*≈≈ ****≈,≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈:..
,,,,,,≈****...≈,≈*≈≈ ≈≈§§≈≈≈≈.≈≈≈
,,,,,≈,≈≈ ,,,,≈≈,≈≈≈,,,,≈≈≈l.,≈**
,, ,,≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈,≈≈≈, ,≈≈,≈≈≈≈, ≈
,,,,≈≈≈≈≈*≈≈≈,≈≈≈≈≈≈,,,≈≈,≈≈≈≈,,,
,,,,,≈≈≈***≈≈,,,,,,,≈,,,≈,≈≈,,, ≈
,,≈,,≈≈≈≈*≈≈*≈≈*≈≈≈≈≈,≈≈≈,,≈,,≈,≈

Vanquished Creatures
  Nikola (D:14)
  Azrael (D:16)
  Snorg (Swamp:4)
  A dragon (Swamp:5)
  A siren (Shoals:1)
  Josephine (Orc:2)
  Harold (D:11)
  13 hydras
  The ghost of mahandle the Eclecticist, a powerful SpVM of Vehumet (Lair:5)
  8 alligators
  Nessos (D:11)
  An orc high priest (Orc:3)
  A catoblepas (Lair:6)
  2 skeletal warriors (D:11)
  2 unseen horrors
  A centaur warrior (D:13)
  3 lindwurms
  An orc knight (Orc:3)
  A hill giant (D:12)
  4 sea snakes
  A hydra skeleton (D:15)
  An oklob plant (D:11)
  7 spiny worms (Lair:8)
  Maurice (D:9)
  3 cyclopes
  A trapdoor spider zombie (D:12)
  4 black mambas
  7 spiny frogs
  3 elephant slugs
  19 slime creatures
  A draconian (shapeshifter) (D:15)
  Psyche (D:9)
  4 mermaids (Shoals:1)
  A rock troll (D:16)
  8 ugly things
  Grinder (D:6)
  Sonja (D:10)
  2 queen bees
  2 polar bears
  4 trolls
  7 komodo dragons
  4 baby alligators
  5 bog mummies
  3 snapping turtles (Shoals:1)
  9 two-headed ogres
  2 grizzly bears
  6 giant fireflies (Lair:8)
  24 blink frogs
  3 basilisks
  23 giant toads
  3 wyverns
  40 yaks
  4 merfolk (Shoals:1)
  3 fire elementals (D:16)
  A shark (Shoals:1)
  2 hungry ghosts
  A wraith (D:9)
  A fire crab zombie (Orc:2)
  4 steam dragons (Swamp:5)
  13 war dogs
  4 fire drakes
  9 hippogriffs
  Grum (D:10)
  A manticore (Shoals:1)
  24 vampire mosquitoes
  A draconian zombie (Orc:2)
  5 rock worms (Lair:8)
  6 mottled dragons (Swamp:5)
  A giant slug zombie (D:15)
  A mermaid skeleton (Orc:2)
  Menkaure (D:6)
  4 hell hounds
  27 swamp worms
  4 yellow wasps
  A necrophage (D:13)
  A cyclops skeleton (D:12)
  17 insubstantial wisps
  3 sky beasts
  16 swamp drakes
  9 orc warriors
  A black bear (Lair:3)
  2 phantoms
  4 kenku (Swamp:3)
  2 boring beetles
  16 ogres
  16 centaurs
  8 crocodiles
  2 lava worms (Swamp:5)
  2 ice beasts
  Duvessa (D:6)
  5 wargs
  6 giant slugs
  A soldier ant zombie (D:9)
  3 brain worms (Lair:8)
  12 water moccasins
  24 giant frogs
  3 wolves (Lair:8)
  Blork the orc (D:6)
  4 giant leeches
  15 big kobolds
  3 agate snails
  2 eyes of draining
  2 boulder beetles
  9 jellyfish
  A wight (D:10)
  6 electric eels (Swamp:2)
  A fire bat (D:9)
  193 killer bees
  A lava fish (Swamp:5)
  3 goliath beetles
  14 orc priests
  2 imps (D:7)
  2 big kobold skeletons
  6 iguanas
  3 shadows
  21 hounds
  A hound zombie (D:10)
  14 big fish
  16 orc wizards
  9 porcupines
  44 sheep
  5 worker ants
  A worker ant zombie (D:15)
  3 boggarts (D:14)
  A goliath beetle zombie (D:12)
  43 green rats
  2 giant centipedes
  A giant centipede zombie (D:12)
  An iguana zombie (D:6)
  11 snakes
  A giant mite (D:10)
  A snake skeleton (D:10)
  12 white imps
  19 worms
  9 giant geckos
  129 orcs
  35 bats
  7 giant cockroaches
  21 goblins
  23 hobgoblins
  23 jackals
  8 quokkas
  A giant gecko zombie (D:6)
  10 giant newts
  2 giant spores
  41 killer bee larvae
  38 kobolds
  A kobold zombie (D:5)
  2 orc skeletons
  2 orc zombies (Orc:2)
  A quokka skeleton (D:7)
  A quokka zombie (D:7)
  27 rats
  A small snake (D:3)
  7 ballistomycetes
  4 fungi
  18 plants
  17 toadstools
1423 creatures vanquished.

The ghost of Leviathan the Impaler, a mighty DrSk (Swamp:4)
  A skeletal warrior (D:12)
  2 dancing weapons
  A polar bear (Lair:7)
  A two-headed ogre (Orc:4)
  A baby alligator (Swamp:3)
  2 war dogs (Lair:8)
  A soldier ant (D:5)
  A kenku (Swamp:3)
  A yellow wasp (Swamp:4)
  3 ogres (Orc:4)
  A centaur (D:10)
  2 wolves (Lair:8)
  A warg (Lair:8)
  A jellyfish (Swamp:4)
  A killer bee zombie (D:11)
  A big fish (Swamp:4)
  An orc wizard (D:5)
  4 jellies
  A worm (Lair:8)
  2 orcs (Orc:4)
  3 jackals (Lair:8)
  A giant newt (D:5)
  A kobold (D:5)
  A quokka (Lair:1)
  A rat (D:15)
  11 butterflies (Swamp:4)
50 creatures vanquished.

A vapour (Orc:4)
  3 dancing weapons
  A spiny frog (D:12)
  5 slime creatures
  A fire drake skeleton (Lair:5)
  6 insubstantial wisps
  A komodo dragon skeleton (D:11)
  4 yellow wasps (Swamp:4)
  2 swamp drakes (Swamp:5)
  Dowan (D:6)
  2 crocodile skeletons
  A sheep (D:12)
  A midge (Swamp:3)
  A lemure (D:11)
  3 shadow imps
  An ufetubus (Lair:1)
  2 orcs
  2 goblins
  7 killer bee larvae
  A kobold (D:3)
  A rat (Swamp:1)
  A butterfly (Swamp:4)
  2 plants (Shoals:2)
  37 toadstools
88 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 1561 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
     0 | D:1      | Elrohim, the Spriggan Enchanter, began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 9/9 MP: 4/4
   237 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 5/13 MP: 7/7
   242 | D:1      | Learned a level 2 spell: Ensorcelled Hibernation
  1629 | D:2      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 16/16 MP: 9/9
  2880 | D:3      | Reached skill level 5 in Stealth
  2880 | D:3      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 17/21 MP: 12/12
  3395 | D:4      | Found an ancient bone altar of Kikubaaqudgha.
  3489 | D:4      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 22/24 MP: 13/15
  3702 | D:4      | Found Kaymukh's Jewellery Boutique.
  3973 | D:5      | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
  4292 | D:4      | Learned a level 3 spell: Confuse
  4543 | D:5      | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
  4559 | Temple   | Entered the Ecumenical Temple
  4613 | Temple   | Became a worshipper of Nemelex Xobeh
  4762 | D:5      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 21/28 MP: 14/19
  4765 | D:5      | Reached skill level 6 in Stealth
  4929 | D:5      | Received a gift from Nemelex Xobeh
  5159 | D:5      | Found Poalorgh's Jewellery Shoppe.
  5167 | D:5      | Noticed a glowing short sword
  5178 | D:5      | Noticed a soldier ant
  5182 | D:5      | Noticed a boring beetle
  5195 | D:5      | Defeated a soldier ant
  5201 | D:5      | Defeated a glowing short sword
  5342 | D:4      | Bought an uncursed ring of poison resistance for 240 gold pieces
  5483 | D:6      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 32/32 MP: 13/20
  5547 | D:6      | Noticed Grinder
  5833 | D:6      | Defeated Grinder
  5833 | D:6      | Reached skill level 7 in Stealth
  6138 | D:6      | Noticed Dowan
  6141 | D:6      | Noticed Blork the orc
  6141 | D:6      | Noticed Duvessa
  6143 | D:6      | Noticed Menkaure
  6252 | D:6      | Defeated Dowan
  6258 | D:6      | Defeated Blork the orc
  6258 | D:6      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 33/37 MP: 7/23
  6272 | D:6      | Defeated Duvessa
  6286 | D:6      | Acquired Nemelex Xobeh's first power
  6758 | D:6      | Defeated Menkaure
  6966 | D:7      | Reached skill level 8 in Stealth
  7043 | D:6      | Got a shimmering flail
  7044 | D:6      | Identified the cursed flail of Xoac {antimagic, rN+ MR Str+3} (You found it on level 6 of the Dungeon)
  7226 | D:7      | Gained mutation: You tend to lose your temper in combat.
  7226 | D:7      | Gained mutation: Space occasionally distorts in your vicinity.
  7226 | D:7      | Gained mutation: You are agile (Dex +1).
  7227 | D:7      | Lost mutation: You are agile (Dex +1).
  7227 | D:7      | Lost mutation: You tend to lose your temper in combat.
  7227 | D:7      | Lost mutation: Space occasionally distorts in your vicinity.
  7249 | D:7      | Learned a level 4 spell: Enslavement
  7302 | D:7      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 40/40 MP: 19/25
  7354 | D:7      | Reached skill level 9 in Stealth
  7800 | D:7      | Found Psuistrasm's Armour Boutique.
  8741 | D:8      | Found a blossoming altar of Fedhas.
  8770 | D:8      | Reached skill level 10 in Stealth
  9179 | D:9      | Found a deep blue altar of Sif Muna.
  9188 | D:9      | Found a glowing silver altar of Zin.
  9200 | D:9      | Found a burning altar of Makhleb.
  9203 | D:9      | Found a blossoming altar of Fedhas.
  9242 | D:9      | Found a white marble altar of Elyvilon.
  9247 | D:9      | Reached XP level 10. HP: 44/44 MP: 28/28
  9380 | D:9      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 40/40 MP: 9/27
  9688 | D:9      | Found a white marble altar of Elyvilon.
  9748 | D:9      | Acquired Nemelex Xobeh's second power
 10077 | D:9      | Found an iron altar of Okawaru.
 10099 | D:9      | Reached XP level 10. HP: 44/44 MP: 23/28
 10123 | D:9      | Found Kotaumu's Book Boutique.
 10288 | D:9      | Noticed Psyche
 10294 | D:9      | Defeated Psyche
 10300 | D:9      | Received a gift from Nemelex Xobeh
 10572 | D:8      | Reached skill level 11 in Stealth
 10885 | D:9      | Noticed Maurice
 10904 | D:9      | Defeated Maurice
 10926 | D:9      | Found Ciadgh's Armour Boutique.
 10937 | D:9      | Found Qaniapin's Distillery.
 11026 | D:10     | Entered Level 10 of the Dungeon
 11027 | D:10     | Noticed Sonja
 11527 | D:9      | Reached skill level 12 in Stealth
 11865 | D:11     | Noticed Harold
 12169 | D:11     | Found a staircase to the Orcish Mines.
 12285 | D:11     | Noticed Nessos
 12321 | D:11     | Defeated Nessos
 12321 | D:11     | Reached XP level 11. HP: 16/48 MP: 17/30
 12732 | D:11     | Found a staircase to the Lair.
 12830 | Lair:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts
 13235 | Lair:1   | Received a gift from Nemelex Xobeh
 13664 | Lair:1   | Reached skill level 13 in Stealth
 14017 | Lair:3   | Found a frozen archway.
 14157 | Lair:2   | Found a staircase to the Swamp.
 15123 | Lair:2   | Gained mutation: You are agile (Dex +1).
 16245 | Lair:3   | Reached skill level 14 in Stealth
 16490 | Lair:3   | Received a gift from Nemelex Xobeh
 16761 | Lair:4   | Reached XP level 12. HP: 52/52 MP: 31/33
 17253 | Lair:4   | Learned a level 6 spell: Invisibility
 18520 | Lair:3   | Reached skill level 15 in Stealth
 18710 | Lair:5   | Noticed mahandle's ghost (powerful SpVM)
 18744 | Lair:5   | Defeated mahandle's ghost
 19038 | Lair:5   | Acquired Nemelex Xobeh's third power
 19908 | Lair:6   | Found a staircase to the Shoals.
 20941 | Lair:6   | Received a gift from Nemelex Xobeh
 21631 | Lair:7   | Reached XP level 13. HP: 50/56 MP: 26/35
 21748 | Lair:6   | Paralysed by you for 7 turns
 21800 | Lair:7   | Found a staircase to the Slime Pits.
 21810 | Lair:7   | Found a white marble altar of Elyvilon.
 22752 | Lair:2   | Received a gift from Nemelex Xobeh
 22891 | D:11     | Defeated Harold
 23276 | D:10     | Found an iron altar of Okawaru.
 23427 | D:10     | Noticed Grum
 23569 | D:10     | Defeated Grum
 23700 | D:10     | Defeated Sonja
 23963 | Orc:1    | Entered Level 1 of the Orcish Mines
 24977 | Orc:3    | Noticed an orc high priest
 24978 | Orc:3    | Found a roughly hewn altar of Beogh.
 25268 | Orc:2    | Received a gift from Nemelex Xobeh
 25444 | Orc:2    | Noticed Josephine
 25466 | Orc:2    | Defeated Josephine
 25501 | Orc:2    | Reached skill level 16 in Stealth
 26577 | Orc:2    | Found a roughly hewn altar of Beogh.
 26864 | Orc:3    | Defeated an orc high priest
 27309 | D:12     | Learned a level 3 spell: Abjuration
 27572 | D:12     | Reached skill level 10 in Short Blades
 28499 | D:11     | Reached skill level 1 in Summonings
 28502 | D:11     | Gained mutation: You have sharp toenails.
 28905 | D:12     | Received a gift from Nemelex Xobeh
 29111 | D:12     | Reached skill level 17 in Stealth
 29497 | D:13     | Reached skill level 1 in Unarmed Combat
 29506 | D:13     | Noticed a queen bee
 29853 | D:13     | Reached XP level 14. HP: 61/61 MP: 33/36
 29861 | D:13     | Found a staircase to the Hive.
 29873 | D:13     | Defeated a queen bee
 31324 | Lair:8   | Entered Level 8 of the Lair of Beasts
 31370 | Lair:7   | Acquired Nemelex Xobeh's fourth power
 31370 | Lair:7   | Received a gift from Nemelex Xobeh
 32980 | Lair:8   | Noticed a rock worm
 33018 | Lair:8   | Defeated a rock worm
 33027 | Lair:8   | Noticed a spiny worm
 33029 | Lair:8   | Defeated a spiny worm
 33044 | Lair:8   | Noticed a rock worm
 33062 | Lair:8   | Defeated a rock worm
 33065 | Lair:8   | Noticed a spiny worm
 33066 | Lair:8   | Noticed a rock worm
 33067 | Lair:8   | Noticed a spiny worm
 33070 | Lair:8   | Defeated a spiny worm
 33078 | Lair:8   | Defeated a spiny worm
 33087 | Lair:8   | Noticed a rock worm
 33091 | Lair:8   | Defeated a rock worm
 33105 | Lair:8   | Defeated a rock worm
 33109 | Lair:8   | Noticed a spiny worm
 33113 | Lair:8   | Defeated a spiny worm
 33286 | Lair:8   | Noticed a rock worm
 33288 | Lair:8   | Noticed a spiny worm
 33354 | Lair:8   | Defeated a rock worm
 33439 | Lair:8   | Defeated a spiny worm
 33439 | Lair:8   | Reached skill level 18 in Stealth
 33513 | Lair:8   | Noticed a brain worm
 33514 | Lair:8   | Noticed a spiny worm
 33514 | Lair:8   | Noticed a brain worm
 33516 | Lair:8   | Noticed a brain worm
 33516 | Lair:8   | Noticed a spiny worm
 33517 | Lair:8   | Defeated a brain worm
 33518 | Lair:8   | Defeated a brain worm
 33572 | Lair:8   | Defeated a spiny worm
 33586 | Lair:8   | Defeated a brain worm
 33679 | Lair:8   | Defeated a spiny worm
 34225 | Lair:2   | Learned a level 3 spell: Poison Weapon
 34726 | D:14     | Noticed Nikola
 34972 | Orc:4    | Entered Level 4 of the Orcish Mines
 35278 | D:4      | Bought an uncursed ring of levitation for 210 gold pieces
 35338 | D:5      | Bought an uncursed amulet of controlled flight for 165 gold pieces
 35689 | Orc:3    | Reached skill level 1 in Charms
 35910 | Lair:2   | Learned a level 3 spell: Regeneration
 36040 | D:9      | Bought a book of Wizardry for 480 gold pieces
 36236 | Orc:4    | Noticed a two-headed ogre
 36251 | Orc:4    | Defeated a two-headed ogre
 36647 | Orc:4    | Found Gawke's Magic Scroll Emporium.
 36647 | Orc:4    | Found Fiecohea's Distillery.
 36647 | Orc:4    | Noticed an ogre mage
 36648 | Orc:4    | Found Dutiuw's Jewellery Boutique.
 36648 | Orc:4    | Found Nihuorai's Magic Scroll Emporium.
 36649 | Orc:4    | Noticed an ogre mage
 36800 | Hive:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Hive
 37042 | Hive:2   | Entered Level 2 of the Hive
 37141 | Hive:2   | Reached skill level 1 in Poison Magic
 37295 | Hive:2   | Lost mutation: You are agile (Dex +1).
 37369 | Hive:2   | Reached skill level 5 in Shields
 37455 | Hive:2   | Received a gift from Nemelex Xobeh
 38150 | Hive:2   | Reached XP level 15. HP: 57/67 MP: 17/37
 39265 | Hive:1   | Received a gift from Nemelex Xobeh
 39681 | Swamp:1  | Entered Level 1 of the Swamp
 40102 | Swamp:1  | Reached skill level 5 in Charms
 40569 | Lair:2   | Learned a level 2 spell: Throw Frost
 41069 | Swamp:1  | Got a twisted war axe
 41070 | Swamp:1  | Identified the +0,+6 war axe "Amya" (You found it on level 1 of the Swamp)
 41461 | Swamp:4  | Gained mutation: You tend to lose your temper in combat.
 41647 | Swamp:3  | Reached skill level 5 in Traps & Doors
 41848 | Swamp:3  | Reached skill level 15 in Stabbing
 42296 | Swamp:3  | Reached skill level 15 in Spellcasting
 42512 | Swamp:3  | Received a gift from Nemelex Xobeh
 42617 | Swamp:4  | Noticed Leviathan's ghost (mighty DrSk)
 42776 | Shoals:1 | Entered Level 1 of the Shoals
 43970 | Shoals:1 | Reached skill level 1 in Conjurations
 44331 | Shoals:1 | Reached skill level 15 in Dodging
 44837 | Lair:2   | Learned a level 3 spell: Ozocubu's Armour
 44914 | Orc:4    | Defeated an ogre mage
 44918 | Orc:4    | Received a gift from Nemelex Xobeh
 44921 | Orc:4    | Noticed a two-headed ogre
 44925 | Orc:4    | Defeated a two-headed ogre
 44944 | Orc:4    | Defeated a two-headed ogre
 44950 | Orc:4    | Noticed a two-headed ogre
 44974 | Orc:4    | Noticed a two-headed ogre
 44988 | Orc:4    | an ogre mage (ally) was defeated
 45144 | Orc:3    | Defeated a two-headed ogre
 45172 | Orc:3    | Defeated a two-headed ogre
 45182 | Orc:3    | Defeated a two-headed ogre
 45331 | Orc:3    | Defeated a two-headed ogre
 46143 | Orc:4    | Defeated an ogre mage
 46208 | Orc:3    | Defeated a two-headed ogre
 46249 | Orc:4    | Bought the ring "Madeog" {+Inv Int+3 Dam+3} for 782 gold pieces
 46251 | Orc:4    | Bought a potion of mutation for 42 gold pieces
 46268 | Orc:3    | Gained mutation: You have a somewhat thin skeletal structure (Dex +2, Str -1, Stlth).
 46268 | Orc:3    | Gained mutation: Your muscles are strong, but stiff (Str +1, Dex -1).
 46532 | D:14     | Defeated Nikola
 46739 | D:14     | Reached XP level 16. HP: 72/72 MP: 28/38
 47000 | D:15     | Entered Level 15 of the Dungeon
 47263 | D:15     | Received a gift from Nemelex Xobeh
 48524 | D:16     | Noticed Azrael
 48524 | D:16     | Noticed a fire elemental
 48530 | D:16     | Noticed a fire elemental
 48534 | D:16     | Defeated Azrael
 48534 | D:16     | Reached skill level 5 in Fighting
 48536 | D:16     | Defeated a fire elemental
 48545 | D:16     | Defeated a fire elemental
 48547 | D:16     | Defeated a fire elemental
 48860 | Lair:2   | Learned a level 4 spell: Olgreb's Toxic Radiance
 51903 | Swamp:4  | Defeated Leviathan's ghost
 52256 | Swamp:4  | Noticed Snorg
 52301 | Swamp:4  | Defeated Snorg
 52994 | Swamp:5  | Entered Level 5 of the Swamp
 53081 | Swamp:5  | Received a gift from Nemelex Xobeh
 53457 | Swamp:5  | Got a decaying rune of Zot

Woo! ...time to take a short break to avoid YASD.

yet another EDIT: Does Swamp:5 have any significant loot? I haven't found any.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 29th September 2011, 00:24

Great job! :D You beat me to the rune.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 29th September 2011, 01:23

No major loots in Swamp:5 aside from normal ground stuff. Shoals:5 usually has some and Vault:8 has a good deal.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 29th September 2011, 11:02

Congratulations with your first little win! :-) It should not take long before you grab that pesky Orb and run out of the dungeon! Just be careful with the stuff you see for the first time as a lot of endgame monsters pose a serious threat.

I would also stop pumping exp into Spellcasting and Poison magic. Traps & Doors is safe to turn off around 12~13 skill - you will spot the vast majority of the traps. Fighting, Shields and Stealth are your main focus.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 29th September 2011, 18:18

Picked up another decaying rune with the MiBe I'm playing concurrently with my SpEn.

Unfortunately, Mara is prowling around Vaults:1 and I *still* (after 19 dungeon levels, Lair, Orc, Swamp, and Vaults:1) have no rPois to go for Snake. *sigh*

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 29th September 2011, 19:50

and...the berserker got his second rune. Time to make a CiP.

I think I'm about done with this thread; I've learned the game much better since I started the thread and have other problems than Lair now. :D

Thanks once again for your help, everybody. I'll get the win soon enough.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 23rd April 2012, 15:54

I thought it might be interesting to come back to this thread and update it:
In the past two months, I have nine wins. This includes two streaks (one ongoing) of two wins each. My winrate has been steadily climbing, and I can play almost every combo fairly well. I am working towards winning every race/class and knocking them off at a pretty good clip.

In other words, even really sucky players can improve if they work at it (looking back, I'm pretty embarrassed with some of my lack of knowledge in this thread). Keep trying; keep learning.

This game is awesome. :)

(also, it might be interesting for some of you that my spen mentioned here ended up as my first 15-runer)

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 24th April 2012, 01:28

Blade wrote:I thought it might be interesting to come back to this thread and update it:
In the past two months, I have nine wins. This includes two streaks (one ongoing) of two wins each. My winrate has been steadily climbing, and I can play almost every combo fairly well. I am working towards winning every race/class and knocking them off at a pretty good clip.

In other words, even really sucky players can improve if they work at it (looking back, I'm pretty embarrassed with some of my lack of knowledge in this thread). Keep trying; keep learning.

I think I know why. A more interesting question is: how did you get 800+ posts?!
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 24th April 2012, 03:16

mikee wrote:
Blade wrote:I thought it might be interesting to come back to this thread and update it:

I think I know why. A more interesting question is: how did you get 800+ posts?!

Posting ideas in design suggestions, giving answers to questions, suggesting were to go in CIP threads, and giving advice on how you should get out of a nasty situation is my guess.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice