Voting on implementables! [Updated]

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 22nd September 2011, 18:53

Re: Vote on what features you'd most like to see implemented

I think the auto-pickup interface and other interface tweaks are the best thing to see implemented in 0.10.

Also are there plans to just call it version 10 or something and drop the 0.? I've heard people say "it's not supposed to represent a development toward 1.0" but I think it makes a lot of people assume that's what's going on.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 20:09

I'd like to vote for the demigods thing:

https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/view.php?id=3046

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 20:14

roctavian wrote:I've heard people say "it's not supposed to represent a development toward 1.0" but I think it makes a lot of people assume that's what's going on.

I think after 0.10 is released after 0.9, it will become apparent to everybody that the period was never supposed to be a decimal point. And I like the "0."; it represents that Crawl is never really finished, but is continually expanded and improved. Onwards to zero point infinity!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 21:12

Given the mythology, version 1.0 should be the next step after 0.27.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 23:55

Stormfox wrote:Given the mythology, version 1.0 should be the next step after 0.27.

That's funny, I was thinking the exact same thing ...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 24th September 2011, 05:44

Crawl is asymptotic to a line Crawl 1.0.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 26th September 2011, 00:58

You know what would be handy? An option that lets your alies displace you for a frew turns.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 26th September 2011, 06:01

Pteriforever wrote:You know what would be handy? An option that lets your alies displace you for a frew turns.

What's wrong with just walking into them so you swap places? Or do I misunderstand ...

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 26th September 2011, 16:50

Forest branch in place of Hive (it could be a new, and more varied, "food branch" than Hive)

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 30th September 2011, 19:25

I really want permanent buffs or at least permanent forms. Casting forms over and over is really annoying.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 1st October 2011, 01:01

snow wrote:I really want permanent buffs or at least permanent forms. Casting forms over and over is really annoying.

I agree, and I think it could be implemented as an automatic recast switch or something like that.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 2nd October 2011, 20:38

Implementables/.10 plan:

1. In-game selection of auto-pickup items. Can't wait.
2. Interface implementables: yes please! Especially these bits:
- Each equipment slot gets dedicated character
- More verbose travel stop messages
- Easy picking up of items when autoexplore stops
- Change level annotations from Dungeon Overview (Ctrl-O)
3. Casting a buff spell with Z makes it "permanent" (.10 plan) - could cut the repetition without making game easier, I'd like that. Some interesting choices to be made, too.
4. Demigod worshippers - will make Demigods fun and worth trying for me.
5. Vintermann's food reform. Honestly I only really care about the less sickness bit, however the description/mutation changes are very detailed and it's in the works already, so why the hell not :)
6. Spice orb run up - more flavour for the final run sounds good. Pan lords coming back to haunt you for stolen runes get my evil grin of approval :]

The implementables aren't equal - some of them are just too small to get on the list. Rule of thumb, if it's small, uncontroversial and dev approved, then it probably doesn't need a player vote either. Especially if it has a patch already.

Stuff I'd like to see implemented

1.Wand Shops should sell Recharge Scrolls. "I find it odd that wand shops do not sell scrolls of recharging considering they're wand shops and that scroll is wand/rod-specific. I suggest adding scrolls of recharge as a potential item for purchase from a wand shop, but add a price premium to the scroll over however much it would cost in a regular scroll shop. — XuaXua 2011-08-19 20:48"
2.Controlled Flight amulet improvement to one of the following:
"Make the amulet for more for “Flight” as in “flying”:
- invoke for flight (removing dependency on ring) and allow it to reinvoke while still flying (after all, you're under full control)
- triple (or infinitely) extend the duration of the lev/flight effect over whatever the player would get without it
- give flight just from being worn, increase rarity to preservation levels and leave it as an improved property of artefacts"
3.Random themed shops. After some rework - would have to be either very rare and/or definitely less powerful. In general, would be nice to find shops like that once in a blue moon.

Oof :) there are too many brainstorming ideas to read through in one go. In general, I'd vote for:
1. Fighting balance (plan for future versions) - something I'm definitely looking forward to. I believe it would make melee characters (and their stats) more fun. As is, they sometimes feel lacking just because they don't spend their stats in int. For example assassins vs stalkers, gladiators vs skalds, hunters vs warpers(/arcane marksmen), monks vs necromancers etc.
2. Endgame changes. Past zot, some gods/weapon brands/spells become weak or stop working. There are less choices. Anything to change that would be great.

For this message the author paplaukes has received thanks:
Wensleydale

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 2nd October 2011, 23:03

paplaukes wrote:3.Random themed shops. After some rework - would have to be either very rare and/or definitely less powerful. In general, would be nice to find shops like that once in a blue moon.

The custom shops are not supposed to replace normal ones, so yes, they'd be very rare. Over the course of a full game, you'd see at most one or two of these.

The good news is that the structure for constructing such shops already exists (minus the predefined name, but that's the least important aspect), so if you're interested, go ahead and build some. I've just added an example and an explanation to the page you linked above.
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

For this message the author jpeg has received thanks:
paplaukes

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 3rd October 2011, 12:55

paplaukes wrote:3.Random themed shops. After some rework - would have to be either very rare and/or definitely less powerful. In general, would be nice to find shops like that once in a blue moon.

Oh, I like this idea, too!
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 3rd October 2011, 13:30

Re: Voting on implementables! [Updated]

Everyone can make custom shops, no coding required. For thematic ideas, see https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php?id=dcss:brainstorm:item:custom_shop and the how-to is here: https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php?id=dcss:help:maps:syntax:shop_info

I am awaiting new vaults uploaded at https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/main_page.php :)

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks: 2
MyOtheHedgeFox, Roderic

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 4th October 2011, 06:13

A great list! My votes go to Hexes reform, Food reform, and Demigods, roughly in that order! Thanks again to all the devs!

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 4th October 2011, 10:42

Good news for you then, the food reform is in trunk. I'm not sure if it arrived on the servers yet, but shouldn't take long.

For this message the author Galefury has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 4th October 2011, 20:22

Galefury wrote:Good news for you then, the food reform is in trunk. I'm not sure if it arrived on the servers yet, but shouldn't take long.

Sweet !!

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 4th October 2011, 21:37

Wensleydale wrote:Permabuffs (my personal favorite :P hurry, galehar!)

I vote for permabuffs!

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2011, 11:31

Another vote for permabuffs (with the flickering as commented on by galehar) and weapon-specific passive abilities.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2011, 23:33

My vote goes to:
1. Changes to Hexes
2. Permabuffs
3. rPois changes

1: Hexes is the only school that gets weaker as the game goes on instead of stronger. Ensorcelled Hibernation, Confuse, etc. eventually peter out almost completely with every enemy having high MR; Invisibility doesn't fare much better as sInv monsters become more and more frequent. The problem I see with them is that, when they succeed, they're essentially instant victories in a fight; stabbing does hefty damage. Resistant monsters, though, are always huge threats. Every monster gets separated into "popcorn" and "very deadly" to a primary Hex user (and yes, I know primary Hex users aren't viable. That's another reason to reform them).
2: Not only is it annoying to have to constantly recast buffs, it becomes dangerous when you've forgotten to recast them and you get into a tight spot.
3: Having one level of a resistance almost completely nullify the special effect of a large subset of monsters has always felt wrong to me. The proposals on the DevWiki page seem like a nice solution.

Eringya's Employee

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2011, 15:56

1) In-game auto-pick up options
2) Permabuffs. Especially like it about the forms. I can finally play a shapeshifter the way I want it.
3) Forest branch
Last edited by TehDruid on Saturday, 29th October 2011, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 16th October 2011, 17:56

I vote for demigods.

And mounts.

o_O

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 17th October 2011, 04:45

I vote for permabuffs, with no preferences beyond that.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 21st October 2011, 03:42

A lot of these changes look cool, but permabuffs are by far the coolest. I don't normally play trunk, but I will switch over the day this gets implemented. Recasting buffs is incredibly tedious.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 27th October 2011, 01:49

Vote for:

1) poison/alchemy
2) Demigod Worshippers
3) Replacement of Hive
4) Permabuffs.

goo

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 28th October 2011, 07:38

I'll throw in some votes for:

1.) Demigod overhaul
2.) Permabuffs
3.) Hexes reform

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 20th November 2011, 23:18

How would permabuffs work?

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 01:21

Like this. Most likely in the way described under "Alternate implementation".

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2011, 19:41

Please note that some of the links to the wiki in this thread (like V-man's food reform) might not work due to the complete revision / reorg. of the dev wiki.

Also note that NOTHING has been deleted (unless identically redundant or combined with another page), just moved.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 27th June 2012, 02:24

Any news on whether permabuffs are still being implemented? (It's the one change I'm most looking forward to...)

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 27th June 2012, 15:22

pixnaps wrote:Any news on whether permabuffs are still being implemented? (It's the one change I'm most looking forward to...)

I still hope to find the time to implement it someday (maybe 0.12?). Or maybe I'll polish the design and open an implementable. Anyone up for coding it?
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 9th July 2012, 21:47

What's the status of the suggestion to merge Centaur and Naga barding into just barding?

https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php? ... ur:barding

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 17th July 2012, 18:21

rosstin wrote:What's the status of the suggestion to merge Centaur and Naga barding into just barding?

https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php? ... ur:barding

Pretty much dead. As far as I know, nobody who is inclined to make patches cares enough to bother, and even if somebody did show up out of nowhere there are enough people vaguely opposed to the idea on grounds of 'realism' that the patch still probably won't go through anyway.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 2nd September 2012, 19:02

I saw this on the wiki ( https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php? ... g:planning ) and thought this thread could come back now for .12:

Code:
0.12 planned features

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a dev, I'm just writing down stuff I heard people talk about doing because I'm annoyed by this page being so out of date. There may be bogus stuff on this list, and probably a lot of things people are working on are missing. If you are working on something please add it to the list, or add your name to the entry. Fleshing things out a bit, adding links to relevant wiki or tavern pages, removing the older stuff (possibly incorporating it into the 0.12 list) and adding formatting would also be highly appreciated.

More translations stuff!
    Ranged combat overhaul: works like melee (unified code if possible), brands overhauled so launcher and ammo brands can stack
    mon-pick code overhaul to prepare for branch shortening and make the monster lists human-readable
        Sanitize monster lists (many very early monsters still uselessly spawn much later). Keep an eye on exp!
        Branch shortening (vaults, crypt)
        Differentiate Vaults/D monster lists
    New Vaults layouts (extra exp to be compensated by branch shortening) tavern mantis
    New Vehumet 4504
    Moth of Suppression monster
    Hopefully sustained casting (“permabuffs”)
    Further webtiles improvements
    Merge the Android port
    Nerf summons (no attacking out of LOS, maybe other stuff)
    Nerf cloud spells (dissipate quickly out of sight)
    Remove secret doors, add runed doors
    Forest branch?
    Fighting reform, possibly including changed delay formula, weapon moves?

I think I saw that nerf summons is already in trunk.

My votes would go 1) fighting reform 2) vaults layout/monster list overhaul 3) permabuffs.

I'd give honorable mention for some of the old feature ideas I liked, not sure if these have been ruled out or not at this point though: 1) forest branch 2) golem race 3) plant monsters

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 2nd September 2012, 20:25

Lots of work has already been done on Vaults layout changes, so it's a good bet that'll be added soon.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 15th September 2012, 15:37

what do you guys think about "wand of inner flame"? Could be useful for a crowds of enemies (you could use it on one of them, kill him from afar so he blows up, harming creatures standing near).

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 15th September 2012, 18:50

adamo901 wrote:what do you guys think about "wand of inner flame"? Could be useful for a crowds of enemies (you could use it on one of them, kill him from afar so he blows up, harming creatures standing near).

Wand of fireball has pretty much the same effect except you don't have to wait for the target to die.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 15th September 2012, 19:18

Removing secret doors... I suppose is for those which are spawned but in designed vaults they can be still a resource.
I hope so.

What are runed doors ?
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 15th September 2012, 19:56

Roderic wrote:Removing secret doors... I suppose is for those which are spawned but in designed vaults they can be still a resource.
I hope so.

What are runed doors ?

Runed doors are a way to replace some of the other functions that secret doors were used for - monsters won't open them and the player won't autoexplore through them.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 22nd October 2012, 02:59

Whats the status on the Demigod reform? I wanted to add a few suggestions to that as well...

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 22nd October 2012, 20:39

King_jelly wrote:Whats the status on the Demigod reform?

It's dead in the water as far as I know. There has been some work, but it's nowhere near finished and nobody is currently working on it. Feel free to make suggestions (not in this thread please).

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 13th December 2012, 06:28

Whats the status on the Orc follower changes?
There was a thread implying not only to cut the # of followers down to a feasible number but also to give other races of Giant-kin (Ogres, Trolls etc.) the ability to worship Beogh & gain followers of that god.
I´m really hoping for this to go live.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 25th January 2013, 20:06

graffen69 wrote:Whats the status on the Orc follower changes?
There was a thread implying not only to cut the # of followers down to a feasible number but also to give other races of Giant-kin (Ogres, Trolls etc.) the ability to worship Beogh & gain followers of that god.
I´m really hoping for this to go live.

There was a plan to cut down the maximum number of followers to 12 but I don't think any of the devs seriously suggested letting non-Orcs worship Beogh.

edit: wait that post was a month ago, argh

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 2nd February 2013, 16:51

Is there any news on permabuffs yet? I really think it's the most important 'big' change to crawl in a long time.
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 3rd February 2013, 02:32

Hm. I know this thread is all stickied and such, but I don't know that it's actually useful anymore. It's a bit outdated and doesn't get significant posts.

Orange Ones: what are your thoughts?
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 3rd February 2013, 10:06

Bim wrote:Is there any news on permabuffs yet? I really think it's the most important 'big' change to crawl in a long time.

It used to be on my todo, but I don't have much time to contribute to crawl these days. I should probably create an implementable to make it clear that I'd rather delegate this.

njvack wrote:Hm. I know this thread is all stickied and such, but I don't know that it's actually useful anymore. It's a bit outdated and doesn't get significant posts.

Orange Ones: what are your thoughts?

Yes, the thread doesn't seem to have much more purpose than people periodically asking about permabuffs :)
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Barkeep

Post Monday, 4th February 2013, 21:33

OK then -- I'm gonna quietly de-sticky this. If someone disagrees with me on this, go ahead and re-sticky it or punch me in the internets or something.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.
Previous

Return to Game Design Discussion