Why do angels attack the good guys?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 14th April 2017, 23:58

Why do angels attack the good guys?

Hey man, I worship Zin. Aren't we on the same side?

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 15th April 2017, 00:07

Re: Why do angels attack the good guys?

They used to not, and it was silly, gameplay-wise. I agree that the flavor is weird.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 15th April 2017, 00:40

Maybe they think you just aren't worshiping Zin *correctly*

Or maybe they are just testing you, after all, if it comes down to a contest, Zin should save the most devout, shouldn't he?
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 3
duvessa, nago, pratamawirya

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 15th April 2017, 01:22

They're not actually angels at all. It's just a big illusion; the angels and daevas are demons, the seraph is a panlord, and they wield holy magic because some demons can do that (a well-kept secret).

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 15th April 2017, 03:03

It's actually a pretty cool flavor that followers of good gods in the dungeon attack each other. Though why it is so needs to be presented a bit clearer to players, since it kind of clashes with how people usually imagine how that kind of interaction goes.

For this message the author pratamawirya has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 15th April 2017, 08:01

I also think that it is very annoying and immersion-breaking when a follower of a good god is attacked by an angel. Before that change I frequently played followers of the good gods, but since then I almost never do so, because I really dislike it when as a paragon of good I have to slaughter angels. (I know that mechanically it is not a big difference, angels and daevas are rarely threatening on the levels where they appear.)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 15th April 2017, 08:49

I think it's just that your intent is different from theirs. You want to steal the orb and runes, while they guard them. So they attack you on sight. From this pov, you aren't on the same side, you just buy weapons from the same manufacturer.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks: 2
Paperbell, pratamawirya

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 15th April 2017, 16:46

How are we the good guys? We've go into a place we've never been and kill everything and everyone who lives there. Because we want something that doesn't belong to us.
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

For this message the author mattlistener has received thanks: 4
duvessa, ereinion, NhorianScum, pratamawirya

Return to Game Design Discussion