Shock Serpent and Naga Sharpshooter

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 23rd February 2017, 08:43

Shock Serpent and Naga Sharpshooter

Code:
[19:39] <Sequell> 5641 games for * (snake recent): 1057x a shock serpent, 872x a naga sharpshooter, 473x a naga warrior, 332x a greater naga, 315x a salamander, 293x a nagaraja, 256x a black

Why do these do so much damage? Like holy shit, it's so much damage.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

For this message the author mikee has received thanks:
duvessa

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 23rd February 2017, 14:51

Re: Shock Serpent and Naga Sharpshooter

I think they actually don't do that much more damage than a naga warrior wielding a decent weapon, in theory. Naga warriors have 28, constrict(6) and the fighter flag, so with something like a glaive or battleaxe they can get to about 45 damage. Similarly naga sharpshooters I think do 17, 5(constrict), so if I'm calculating the ranged damage correctly it should get up to about 40 (master archer flag + 15 for longbow).

The difference is, shock serpents are fast and have af:elec which I think has some kind of non-interaction with AC, and naga sharpshooters don't seem to miss very often. Shock serpents also have the recoil thing.

Practically every other Snake enemy that hits reasonably hard is also slow, melee-only, or both, so I think it's reasonable to have such a skewed kill list in Snake.

If this is a rhetorical question thread I couldn't really tell you why they were added, probably because of interest or something.
remove food

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 23rd February 2017, 16:18

tabstorm wrote:I think they actually don't do that much more damage than a naga warrior wielding a decent weapon, in theory. Naga warriors have 28, constrict(6) and the fighter flag, so with something like a glaive or battleaxe they can get to about 45 damage. Similarly naga sharpshooters I think do 17, 5(constrict), so if I'm calculating the ranged damage correctly it should get up to about 40 (master archer flag + 15 for longbow).

The difference is, shock serpents are fast and have af:elec which I think has some kind of non-interaction with AC, and naga sharpshooters don't seem to miss very often. Shock serpents also have the recoil thing.

Practically every other Snake enemy that hits reasonably hard is also slow, melee-only, or both, so I think it's reasonable to have such a skewed kill list in Snake.

If this is a rhetorical question thread I couldn't really tell you why they were added, probably because of interest or something.

I think ts is correct here, it isn't so much the comparitive amount of damage it is that the damage is harder to avoid or get away from.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 23rd February 2017, 19:30

I think shock serpants kill people because a lot of people haven't found rElec yet, and sharpshooters have crazy accuracy. If we were going to nerf them at all I'd want to make them miss a bit more often, so that AC characters can still be threatened. All the times I remember being in huge trouble in snake is mostly vashnia and his pack of sharpshooters, unless I've done something silly like letting a guardian serpent surround me with nagas in all directions.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 24th February 2017, 15:03

I haven't played against them as much as some people but it seems like the shock serpents you're just not allowed to melee - unless you're really diesel and then you can melee them but they're a massive tax on your hp. The sharpshooters have portal projectile so they basically have smite++ I guess? Combined with constriction and random poisoning everything in snake is just some kind of tax on your hp but these two dudes are more taxing.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 24th February 2017, 15:07

I often polymorph shock serpents.

For this message the author bel has received thanks:
nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 24th February 2017, 15:09

bel wrote:I often polymorph shock serpents.

Me too. In addition to Sonja and Maurice they are to me the main reason to carry polymorph wands.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 24th February 2017, 15:23

Sprucery wrote:
bel wrote:I often polymorph shock serpents.

Me too. In addition to Sonja and Maurice they are to me the main reason to carry polymorph wands.

That'll work since there is less likely to be a worse outcome (guardian serpent could be in some situations) but for me, enslavement is a go-to wand against shock serpents.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 24th February 2017, 16:42

Paralyze and confuse work great if you're out of polymorph charges. The recoil alone doesn't do that much damage, it's that plus the constant lightning bolts that put it over the top.
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 24th February 2017, 20:31

Seconding Confuse as an excellent way to kill shock serpents
Attachments
shock snek.png
shock snek.png (21.62 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
Spoiler: show
Psst, hey kid... you like roguelikes?

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 5th March 2017, 09:38

Yeah, any sort of confusion on serpents if it's strong enough. If you're lucky, you get to missile them down instead of melee them.

Summons can also do the dirty work, if you get them occupied.
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice