Problem accessing Wizard Mode

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 20th September 2011, 17:40

Problem accessing Wizard Mode

I am using DCSS 0.7.1.1-g7ce9b19 on Ubuntu Linux. I have played DCSS for some time previously in a Windows environment. I have used the Wizard Mode many times. The Version of DCSS that was available for DL on Linux does not let me access wizard mode. whenever I hit '&' i get the message "Unrecognized command" is this a bug or is there another way to enter Wiz Mode that is unique to this version of DCSS? Also I am a TOTAL Noob when it comes to Linux so any help in learning will be MOST appreciated. Thank You.

Mildly Perturbed.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 20th September 2011, 18:30

Re: Problem accessing Wizard Mode

Moglagh wrote:I am using DCSS 0.7.1.1-g7ce9b19 on Ubuntu Linux. I have played DCSS for some time previously in a Windows environment. I have used the Wizard Mode many times. The Version of DCSS that was available for DL on Linux does not let me access wizard mode. whenever I hit '&' i get the message "Unrecognized command" is this a bug or is there another way to enter Wiz Mode that is unique to this version of DCSS? Also I am a TOTAL Noob when it comes to Linux so any help in learning will be MOST appreciated. Thank You.

Hello and welcome to Crawl! It appears that the version shipped with Ubuntu (rather out of date, too) simply wasn't compiled with wizard mode included. This has nothing to do with Linux vs. Windows and isn't anything you can change.

However, you can try checking out the newer debian packages that, at least in theory, should contain wizard mode:
http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/downloads#debian

Unfortunately, the precise commands given on that page are utter gibberish to me, and I'm on Windows right now, so I can't even check. If you have any further questions, just come back and ask. Someone will know the answer.

Good luck!
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 20th September 2011, 18:47

jpeg wrote:
Moglagh wrote:I am using DCSS 0.7.1.1-g7ce9b19 on Ubuntu Linux. I have played DCSS for some time previously in a Windows environment. I have used the Wizard Mode many times. The Version of DCSS that was available for DL on Linux does not let me access wizard mode. whenever I hit '&' i get the message "Unrecognized command" is this a bug or is there another way to enter Wiz Mode that is unique to this version of DCSS? Also I am a TOTAL Noob when it comes to Linux so any help in learning will be MOST appreciated. Thank You.

Hello and welcome to Crawl! It appears that the version shipped with Ubuntu (rather out of date, too) simply wasn't compiled with wizard mode included. This has nothing to do with Linux vs. Windows and isn't anything you can change.

However, you can try checking out the newer debian packages that, at least in theory, should contain wizard mode:

Unfortunately, the precise commands given on that page are utter gibberish to me, and I'm on Windows right now, so I can't even check. If you have any further questions, just come back and ask. Someone will know the answer.

Good luck!

Thank You Very much for the rapid response to my post.

I had a feeling that was the case. I will have to uninstall the current version of DCSS and Install a newer version. I Love Linux over Windows for many reasons (besides the fact it is for the most part free) and I love DCSS (maybe one of these days I will be able to beat it LOL)

Again TYVM.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 13:14

Moglagh wrote:
jpeg wrote:

Good luck!

Thank You Very much for the rapid response to my post.

I had a feeling that was the case. I will have to uninstall the current version of DCSS and Install a newer version. I Love Linux over Windows for many reasons (besides the fact it is for the most part free) and I love DCSS (maybe one of these days I will be able to beat it LOL)

Again TYVM.

Good luck. I also love the penguin but can't stand all of it's lack of compatibility 95% of the time with almost everything that is good in the world, so I just stick with this motherfucker windows. It's like when you have this long road wife which was always by your side, take care of your children, of your home, but you're dying to fuck this jailbait next door that is insinuating to you.

Return to Technical Support