How to make force_more for every enemy?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 11th December 2016, 07:57

How to make force_more for every enemy?

How do I do that? Or where is an rc/init that does do that, and is up-to-date with 0.19.1?

I would also like message colors that are up-to-date (I have the HDA ones, but don't know if they cover everything in 0.19.1).
Zoopy Joobles come back please. You were the best.

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 11th December 2016, 09:47

Just add to your rc-file

Code:
force_more_message += into view

This will lead to a break every time a (new) monster comes in your line of sight.

Playing this way will be quite complicated. I'd only recommend this if you struggle with lag and risk losing your char otherwise.

Btw, this question rather belongs to Technical Support than to Dungeon Crawling Advice.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 14th February 2017, 18:08

Re: How to make force_more for every enemy?

I would like a force more for every yellow or red enemy.

For this message the author ddubois has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 14th February 2017, 18:51

Re:

Turukano wrote:Playing this way will be quite complicated.

Not sure what you mean here. It's easier to die without this setting than with it.
Too bad devs refused to accept my patch which displayed a message when you teleported away from a dangerous monster and then it entered your view again.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 17th February 2017, 19:44

ddubois wrote:I would like a force more for every yellow or red enemy.

A lua function running in ready() checking the number of visible yellow+red threats, comparing it to the number remembered from the previous action and forcing "more" if the number has increased would probably do the trick. Clua exposes monster's threat level, so it's doable. Could potentially get a bit annoying with vision impairing clouds (fog, some wizlabs) and when kiting back through corridors though.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 18th February 2017, 14:20

Leszczynek wrote:

A lua function running in ready() checking the number of visible yellow+red threats, comparing it to the number remembered from the previous action and forcing "more" if the number has increased would probably do the trick. Clua exposes monster's threat level, so it's doable. Could potentially get a bit annoying with vision impairing clouds (fog, some wizlabs) and when kiting back through corridors though.

I find posts like these annoying. Its like saying "I am smart enough to write the code, but too lazy/dont care enough to actually do it." If its possible in lua, write the code and prove it, otherwise quit tormenting this kid by dangling possibilities in front of him.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 18th February 2017, 22:36

lethediver wrote:I find posts like these annoying. Its like saying "I am smart enough to write the code, but too lazy/dont care enough to actually do it." If its possible in lua, write the code and prove it, otherwise quit tormenting this kid by dangling possibilities in front of him.

waaaah waaaaaaah do everything for me

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20992 a slightly different approach, no need to thank me

For this message the author Leszczynek has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th February 2017, 00:52

lethediver wrote:
Leszczynek wrote:

I find posts like these annoying. Its like saying "I am smart enough to write the code, but too lazy/dont care enough to actually do it." If its possible in lua, write the code and prove it, otherwise quit tormenting this kid by dangling possibilities in front of him.
Lua is Turing complete, Leszczynek doesn't have to prove shit

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 20th February 2017, 15:30

Leszczynek wrote:
lethediver wrote:I find posts like these annoying. Its like saying "I am smart enough to write the code, but too lazy/dont care enough to actually do it." If its possible in lua, write the code and prove it, otherwise quit tormenting this kid by dangling possibilities in front of him.

waaaah waaaaaaah do everything for me

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20992 a slightly different approach, no need to thank me

Well you got him like 90% of the way there, so that's something.

duvessa wrote:Lua is Turing complete, Leszczynek doesn't have to prove shit

No one has to do anything.

When anyone on this forum asks how to make an interface enhancement, they are effectively asking 'how do I do this in lua' even if they don't realize it. Answering the question, 'how do I do this in lua" with "this is certainly doable in lua, but I'm not going to provide any code" is annoying. Lua's turing completeness or lack thereof has little relevance to that.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 20th February 2017, 16:07

lethediver wrote:"this is certainly doable in lua, but I'm not going to provide any code" is annoying. Lua's turing completeness or lack thereof has little relevance to that.

More annoying than just not saying anything at all? Saying "it's doable in lua but I'm not going to provide any code" says to me:

* There's a scripting language in Crawl, it's Lua
* Crawl (probably) provides the necessary hooks into the game's state to get this task done

I think that even if a poster doesn't want to actually write the code, it's still pretty okay to say "it's at least possible to do what you want."
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 20th February 2017, 18:23

To be fair, there's no decent tutorial for clua available and you have to either study existing scripts like elliptic's qw or dive into the marvellous world of l_*.cc. And of course I'm too lazy to write one! Not that I know it nearly well enough to be in a position to do so in the first place anyway.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice