Fox race?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 15th February 2017, 21:18

Fox race?

We have cats, birds, dragons, snakes, fish, horses, ants, and octopi. We have almost everything from your house cat to a sea monster to a dragon! Why not add another animal to play? Foxes are cool! They are cunning, so they would have a high intelligence, thus having an aptitude for certain types of magic. This is just an idea, so I don't have any numbers worked out yet. If you have any ideas for aptitudes, stat totals (i.e. str. int. dex. total), auxiliary attacks, or what they can hold or wear, please post! If I have any ideas worked out, I will try to post them here!

Keep in mind, this is just an idea, so I don't care too much if this turns out to be a new race - depends on what everybody thinks of it! I just want to see what the community thinks!

By the way, I don't know if any fox-related classes have ever been in the trunk at all. I there were, please tell me!

Also, we have cyno, so I don't know how this will turn out!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th February 2017, 22:11

Re: Fox race?

new species: kitsune. apts and stats are +1. special ability: yiff

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
PleasingFungus, Sar

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 15th February 2017, 23:46

what would be the gameplay distinctions of this species, though

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 16th February 2017, 00:00

Shard1697 wrote:what would be the gameplay distinctions of this species, though
some monsters are DFQY (down for a quick yiff) and turn friendly on sight. but other monsters are rich english people who try to shoot you with rifles

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
PleasingFungus, yesno

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 16th February 2017, 01:18

dragons have been more popular than foxes amongst furries for a while now so really we're already at that level.

FR: sparkledogs species which gain random neon fur colors and patterns as they level up, and overcomplicated accessories which will never be properly shown on their ref sheet(resists screen)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 16th February 2017, 01:19

got emo hair instead of preppy hair at xl 7 again... this species is stupid, encourages too much startscumming

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 2
Floodkiller, Sar

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 16th February 2017, 01:31

You gain additional hunger points from eating meat, but you can't eat rotting meat or bread. Your color will change depending on which runes you collect. With each rune, your color will change(i.e. you start with a normal red, then your color might change when collecting your first rune, with a different color change for each rune. Then, when you collect the second rune, your color will change again, and again with the third. Each rune will correspond with one of the fur mutations found in real life! Look at the wikipedia article on red foxes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_fox#Mutations for info on the fur mutations). Each color of fur will have different advantages and disadvantages, but they all turn out even in the end game. Each color will mainly give the player resistances to certain things, such as fire or ice. You will be able to keep the same color throughout your entire playthrough, as long as you know which rune to collect! You gain the effects of the starter red fur somewhere around level 8 maybe? Once your fur changes color, you gain the effect immediately, as long as you are level 8 or higher.

AND/OR You can change your color through wearing amulets and rings with resistance to certain elements, such as cold.

This race promotes players to think about the future of what they want their character to become, as they must have knowledge of what jewelry they will wear and/or what runes they will collect, as both will be able to cause changes to how the character is built!

Bows will either do more or less damage to the player, with melee doing the opposite?

The player gets bite and claw auxiliary attacks.

The player can wear cloaks and scarves, but nothing else except jewelry.

The player cannot wield weapons of any sort.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 16th February 2017, 01:43

duvessa wrote:new species: kitsune. apts and stats are +1. special ability: yiff

I could swear you made this exact same post over a year ago.

EDIT: Lasty probably deleted it. viewtopic.php?p=264878#p264878
Last edited by Rast on Thursday, 16th February 2017, 01:50, edited 2 times in total.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 16th February 2017, 01:47

Shard1697 wrote:got emo hair instead of preppy hair at xl 7 again... this species is stupid, encourages too much startscumming

I could just as easily make all sorts of dog puns to startscum on the new cyno species.
This playthrough has been very RUFF.
I gotta see a dentist, one of my CANINES is lose!
These were taken from the internet, but you get the point! Anybody can make all sorts of jokes on any race!

For this message the author Claw has received thanks:
Sar

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 16th February 2017, 02:42

What's the point of gaining colors/resists and the like on levelup when draconians already fill that niche?

Also runes being tied to character progression beyond being needed to progress the game is a bad idea for many reasons. If I like the color I have now and grabbing a rune will change it, why pick up the rune? Why not clear lair branches and vaults(or slime, w/e) and just leave the runes on the ground the whole time until I absolutely need to pick them up? Incentivizes backtracking with very little upside(actually, I'm not sure what the upside to having character change "type" on getting runes is. Why do that instead of it just being tied to level?)
AND/OR You can change your color through wearing amulets and rings with resistance to certain elements, such as cold.
Why have this change your color? Why would you need to change your resistances via your color with corrosponding rings that change your resistances, when those rings already change your resistances?
Bows will either do more or less damage to the player, with melee doing the opposite?
Why?
The player cannot wield weapons of any sort.
Why? Felids already exist. We don't really need to have a species which is a mashup of felids and draconians, that doesn't really sound very compelling. The only characteristics of this are either slightly different versions of things which are already done in crawl, or are pretty arbitrary.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
Rast

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 16th February 2017, 08:59

Claw wrote:This playthrough has been very RUFF.

I'm stealing this

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 16th February 2017, 10:07

I actually proposed and even wrote up a Chinese fox spirit species a few weeks ago. The thread is probably a page or two back, but what I have now is fairly different from what I wrote there. I have no attachment to the flavor of foxes, though, and I think Hulijing mostly just end up assuming the form of hot women with few fox characteristics anyway. I just wanted to find a name that would readily call high int/dex to mind.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 16th February 2017, 11:40

huiren wrote:I just wanted to find a name that would readily call high int/dex to mind.

Jeez, I wonder why popular fantasy hasn't come up with a species for that yet. Something that rhymed with rye shelf?

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 16th February 2017, 12:51

Mod note: moved to CYC. OP, read the GDD rules before posting in GDD.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 16th February 2017, 13:39

Rename Deep Elf to Vulpicid. It gets rid of a D&D/Tolkien relic too!

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 16th February 2017, 16:21

Zooty wrote:Rename Deep Elf to Vulpicid. It gets rid of a D&D/Tolkien relic too!

Seriously, you couldn't just say "remove most of the game"? So much of the game very much resembles D&D/Tolkien somehow, if you ask me. And I don't think that's a bad thing.
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 16th February 2017, 22:14

Okay, so my ideas were kinda stupid... But I have some more! Let's see how you like these! I looked up some facts on foxes, so I hope this makes my idea a more distinct race.

See this article for the information I am basing my idea on:http://mentalfloss.com/article/59739/14-fascinating-facts-about-foxes

Foxes actually use Earth's magnetic field, so there could be an ability gained at level 6 that allows the player to sense a creature's presence on the floor under them. However, the message would only appear if the enemy is a unique enemy, thus giving the player a warning that there is something powerful that they might come across later on! However, with the way the game is made, there is no real way to position this correctly, unless a change in the game's code would be made so that this is possible.

Maybe we shouldn't include color changes, since that is kinda stupid in my opinion now that I think about it a little more. Let's just stick with red!

This is all I have right now!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 16th February 2017, 23:07

Claw: read the GDD guidelines that lasty linked above if you want your proposal to get more serious attention. That being said, this is now in CYC, which is a much more loose, anything goes kind of forum, so your post is perfectly fine here.

But for future notice, you'll want to talk more about what foxes would bring to DCSS, and less about actual foxes. Real foxes are great, but the forum is more concerned with how the game of crawl is played, than simulating creatures. It's true a lot of our races seem to be based on animals, but that isn't really a design goal. That's just the limited imagination of humans in general, imho, that we just copy what we have seen rather than make something original up. And in many ways, familiarity is a bonus, not a negative.

There's a few crawl abilities which allow the detection of non-seen monsters, mostly antenna of Fo/DS, and the experimental Cyno species has their own version of this. These work because monsters around corners on the floor you're on are a significant risk and knowing about them is a useful power. Things on different floors can't hurt you in any way, so knowing they are there is really just giving you information at the wrong time. If you wanted a unique sense monsters sort of ability which isn't the existing ones, maybe "unique sense". You get a warning upon entering a floor if there is a unique there. You could scale how accurate the information is; does it just give a count of the number of uniques, or does it name them exactly?

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 16th February 2017, 23:13

Proposed fox special ability : smelling bad. The ability to smell worse than other races will set foxes apart from existing races when webtiles finally implements the scratch and sniff functionality everyone has been waiting so hotly for

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 17th February 2017, 20:09

Innate racial ability: Touch Fluffy Tail
At the cost of 2 turns (aut cost based on your current movement speed) you can expose your beautiful tail to the opponent. If the temptation succeeds, the opponent becomes dazed instead of taking an action and is guaranteed to drop the next turn as well (to even out the cost of your action). The success chance is based on opponent's HD and the number of aut spent in melee range without player moving to avoid kiting until you can daze the monster. Works only in melee and only one opponent can be dazed by your tail at a time (the spell will break as soon as the player even attempts to daze a different monster). Works against demons, undead and magic immune monsters but not against brainless ones.

Or you could make it into a Charms spell.

For this message the author Leszczynek has received thanks:
duvessa

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 17th February 2017, 20:20

Isn't that "expose your tail to the opponent and make them dazed"-gimmick reserved for the skunk race?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 17th February 2017, 23:18

distressingly furry
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

For this message the author pubby has received thanks:
Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 17th February 2017, 23:27

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 4
PleasingFungus, Rast, Sar, tasonir

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 17th February 2017, 23:34

A comment on my thanks for the above post: It was intentional, but I hate that post. It's horrible. Yet somehow it goes back around to terribly awesome. Do not remove felids. I'd probably be better off never seeing that image. Damn you.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
dracos369

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner