Remove item generation in Abyss

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 06:43

Remove item generation in Abyss

Because the consumable-grinding routine of
"Once you got abyssal rune -> enter Abyss:1 -> pick item you see -> escape immediately -> repeat" is very silly.

You want to grind items? Enter ziggurats with taking some risk. Or Pans, whatever.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 07:21

Re: Remove item generation in Abyss

Is "Abyss item grinding" really a thing? If your char is strong enough to Abyss-scum, what kind of item are you after?
Spellcasting penalties, Armour skill, and strength
15 runes: 2x HuSk, Op(Mo,Tm,Wn,Fi,Wr,EE,AM,Wz,Ne), VSTm, DsTm, Dg(Sk,Tm), MuGl, GhMo, Fe(En,EE,Ar,Wn,IE)
3 runes: FoFi, OgSk, KoHu, SpCj, 2x DgGl, MiBe, Fe(Fi,Tm,Mo,Su)

For this message the author ThreeInvisibleDucks has received thanks:
Sar

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 07:51

The character doesn't need to be that strong to do abyssscumming. If char is just enough to get abyssal rune then it's ok. The exit generates really fast.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 09:07

if a character is strong enough to get your 3rd rune, still, what kind of item are you after? you're at the end of the game unless you really want to do extended, and you don't need to grind for extended(extended IS the grind)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 09:08

I would hate Abyss even more if it didn't contain any food.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks: 2
Orgrimm, stoneychips

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 14:33

Shard1697 wrote:if a character is strong enough to get your 3rd rune, still, what kind of item are you after?
Carrying a distortion weapon so if a bazaar spawns you can scum gold in Abyss. But even so, once you are strong enough to do this most portal spans have ceased (do bazaars spawn in extended? I've never done extended.)
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 15:07

In another thread someone reported scumming abyss with a Sp at XL 24 (they visited it more than 60 times); the abyssal rune is not required for their strategy. From Sequell, we find that 10-12% of Sp at XL >= 24 go on to die somewhere. How many of them would have died if they had infinite consumables? I'm pretty sure that some determined soul can do it at a much lower XL and with less preparation (the strategy in question was using controlled blink). Even if one wants to use controlled blink, assuming that the player has one or more wiz sources, you can get it online much earlier (Sp have very good Transloc apt). This seems to me to be a "tedious but optimal" situation which one shouldn't encourage.

There are really no satisfying solutions with the abyss the way it is, but the obvious ones of removing item generation / making monsters durably summoned seem the simplest to me. Many people would probably find it distasteful, so I'm not sure it's worth doing.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 19:59

I have scummed abyss plenty of times, there are chars which can grind abyss 1 as soon as a portal to it is found, like a Vp of mak... you dont think having 10 more Xls and 20 more blink scrolls before doing the rest of the game is useful? That is definitely a case of making my, and others' evidence fit your conclusions.

The fact that in 2017, we have a so called roguelike with effectively infinite food, xp and items for minimal risk is a disgrace. If we can't come together as a community to fix this then maybe we deserve a nuclear war

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 10th February 2017, 14:23

It's easy enough to be out of depth in Abyss as it is, when any single random elf wizard can toss you in there from mid-level Dungeon.

But oh, let's remove every occasional random boost or way to build up resources through hours of tedium, and make sure the game is uber perfectionist for the people who already know how to get to 15 runes blindfolded anyway. /sarcasm
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 10th February 2017, 14:30

Incidentally, just yesterday I met two kobolds with distortion blades on D:1...

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 10th February 2017, 15:31

FR: Make the only thing that generates in the Abyss new potions of mutation.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 10th February 2017, 16:02

There's also AK start-Abyss scumming. It seems optimal to always try to find a door out and start the game with monk piety; if you find some loot in there, too, then bonus. Now I know that the start-Abyss is different than the in-game Abyss, and presumably this includes floor loot generation but I don't know for sure.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 10th February 2017, 16:15

I dunno about Abyss but I really think Ziggurat access should be fully locked until the player has all the 15 runes. Its existence screams of bonus content instead of a place that's only generally used to sneak out a few guaranteed items like a disgusting hobo and get out at Zig:9 or 10.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 10th February 2017, 16:18

ONIchinchin wrote:I dunno about Abyss but I really think Ziggurat access should be fully locked until the player has all the 15 runes. Its existence screams of bonus content instead of a place that's only generally used to sneak out a few guaranteed items like a disgusting hobo and get out at Zig:9 or 10.
Zigs are not boring; extended is boring. People who want to try non-boring bonus content should not be forced to do the boring bonus content first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 10th February 2017, 16:26

MainiacJoe wrote:There's also AK start-Abyss scumming. It seems optimal to always try to find a door out and start the game with monk piety; if you find some loot in there, too, then bonus. Now I know that the start-Abyss is different than the in-game Abyss, and presumably this includes floor loot generation but I don't know for sure.

I think it's fun to try, but I've rarely gotten more than a couple items there before I needed to run away. I'd expect to meet mobs I wouldn't really want to take any chances actually facing with no training, so it doesn't last very long.

I can't figure out whether to take these threads seriously or not. People who seem to know all the tricks to get well into extended wishing for things - actually, for lots of removals - that would make mid-game harder (in what are already nightmare cases, in this example) for people who can't touch extended yet. All supposedly just for the purpose of narrowing the options of endgame somewhat. Why not just press the devs to add a few levels with no drops and crazy hard new bosses to the end of extended?

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 10th February 2017, 16:35

MainiacJoe wrote:Zigs are not boring

I see, the world is vast. It's refreshing to see exotic preferences occasionally.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 10th February 2017, 16:42

Suicide zig diving is far more interesting than whatever else you can do when the game you are currently playing did not generate what you want or need to win it.

For this message the author Gozigzag has received thanks: 2
dracos369, milski

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 10th February 2017, 23:25

zigs are definitely fun the first few times you do them, if you are not the kind of person who does like. crazy multizig runs a lot
Gozigzag wrote:Suicide zig diving is far more interesting than whatever else you can do when the game you are currently playing did not generate what you want or need to win it.
In what situation does a game not generate what you "need" to win it, but you are able to reach a zig? What item are you talking about?

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 11th February 2017, 21:04

Gozigzag wrote:Suicide zig diving is far more interesting than whatever else you can do when the game you are currently playing did not generate what you want or need to win it.

When I get that far, I sometimes do some levels of Zigs just hoping for more relics with convenient sets of resistances.

Maybe I'm still thinking too much about Hell, not sure... But I'm leery of going to Pan without most of those, either.

Now if it were just about officially winning, fairly often by that point I could get out with the orb. (Exceptions being games where almost nothing exciting dropped from Orc far into Vaults, too many shops were just food etc., and I had a great ongoing expenditure of consumables.) But I agree sometimes it's more fun to just try your luck at a Zig... At least some! Occasionally, you may even get the type of awesome item you wanted. I don't usually go past Z:7-10 though, myself.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 12th February 2017, 13:03

Shard1697 wrote:In what situation does a game not generate what you "need" to win it, but you are able to reach a zig? What item are you talking about?

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/ ... 125334.txt
No tornado, wanted tornado =(

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/ ... 214211.txt
No tornado, found tornado =)

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 13th February 2017, 06:29

I overheard some devs talking about a possible removal of abyss entirely.
Spoiler: show
hi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 13th February 2017, 06:34

Gozigzag wrote:http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue//Dynast/morgue-Dynast-20170210-125334.txt
No tornado, wanted tornado =(

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/ ... 214211.txt
No tornado, found tornado =)

Wait, are you Dynast? I don't think you needed Tornado to win, you might train some weapon or Iron Shot etc. long time ago instead of getting Air to 22 without tornado.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 13th February 2017, 10:20

TrumpTrain wrote:I overheard some devs talking about a possible removal of abyss entirely.

That would actually be the strongest impulse for me so far to not to upgrade to the latest version... Abyss is cool and should stay forever.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 14th February 2017, 23:23

That would be the strongest impulse for me so far to upgrade to the latest version

too bad he made it up and abyss is going to continue making games suck

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 14th February 2017, 23:41

I like Zig diving in depths because it's mostly free XP and items so you can finish your "build" until things get too spicy, in which case blinking/haste/god abilities can bail you out. It's pretty much a "win-more" situation though, if you can go zig-busting and risk a pandemonium/tomb floor you can just.. go win or something.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner