Re: Naming

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 13th February 2017, 17:44

Of the last five races to be added to the game, four have latinized names that are unevocative and sound much more biology class than fantasy. Say in the case of Felid, it evokes in my mind no specific creature, but instead an abstract genus used for taxonomy. House Cat, Panther, Tiger etc might sound lame, but they are decidedly less lame than Felid in my opinion because they evoke something. Likewise with Formicid (ant) and Octopode (octopus/squid/kraken). Now that "Barachians" are in trunk I feel that the trend is getting out of hand. Let us have Blink Frog, Mountain Frog, High Frog rather than another bland Latin name. Vinestalker has been the only exception to this trend and is a pretty cool name.

I also wish Uskayaw and Hepliaklqana could get name change but can't give any reason except for they don't sound good. Old Kiku has a ridiculous name too but it has charm to it for some reason (could just be familiarity).

For this message the author moocowmoocow has received thanks: 3
duvessa, n1000, scorpionwarrior

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 13th February 2017, 18:48

Re: Re: Naming

I'm ambivalent about species names but I will say I am so, so over purposefully unpronounceable god names. I don't care that earlier gods already have annoying names, that doesn't mean the problem should get worse... it makes not only searching for the god you want on learndb and stuff like this a pain in the ass, it also makes actual casual conversation about the game annoying. Maybe RL players aren't used to talking out loud about things, but even via text it can be a pain.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 8
Cheibrodos, chequers, dracos369, duvessa, LostInTranslocation, shping, Ultraviolent4, VeryAngryFelid

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 14th February 2017, 00:51

What, you don't like saying Uski-uski-uski-beki-stan?

Or Hepatitis?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 14th February 2017, 05:29

FR: Rename Xom to Hepatitis.

Hepatitis is called "silent killer" in my country.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 14th February 2017, 06:14

uskayaw is (a) perfectly pronounceable and (b) a reference to an actual relevant word in malaysian (?), iirc

hepliaklqana is 100% indulgence on my part, but i put quite a lot of work into getting the god running, so i will forgive myself. you are, of course, free to make your own judgement on the matter :)

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks:
ThreeInvisibleDucks

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 14th February 2017, 07:50

I am actually totally fine with uskayaw because yes, it is pronounceable(and spellable without looking it up). my judgement on hepliaklqana(as a name) is it's maybe the only thing you have put in the game which I dislike, and when I was writing that post I actually was thinking of how annoyed I got when you said... on the forums, or irc? (somewhere) that it's a messy pain of a name on purpose like other god names that are already in crawl, or something to that effect. sorry but that sucks really bad!

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
duvessa

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 14th February 2017, 08:22

FR: rename Barachian to Froglodyte.

For this message the author Jeremiah has received thanks: 2
prozacelf, shping

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 14th February 2017, 12:47

No! Name them Frogtaurs!
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

For this message the author Elitist has received thanks:
nago

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 14th February 2017, 13:00

Nazi frogs imo

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 14th February 2017, 14:19

FR: rename Human -> Homo
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 2
Sar, scorpionwarrior

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner