New combat move: Ignition

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 20:07

New combat move: Ignition

To use this special combat move, just find a book of Fire or the Tempests, train Fire Magic skill way higher than the optimal level of 0, and memorize the spell called "Ignition". Then you can use the 'z' key to use this new combat move. It's best used when there are 224 hostile monsters on the screen, being inferior to bolt of fire unless there are at least 3 adjacent monsters. Discuss this new combat move here.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
chequers, papilio

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 20:56

Re: New combat move: Ignition

I don't care that training magic skills is bad, Ignition sounds sweet as hell.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks:
scorpionwarrior

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 21:48

Show this post to your parents and then think about what you did.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 22:23

bad idea sounds exactly like ignite poison
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 23:44

Looks like worse duplicate of shatter.

Level 8 spell? I'd rather cast fire storm with little more investment of xp.
Last edited by papilio on Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 23:45

Yeah it's a pretty useless spell, just wanted to remove delayed fireball

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 00:22

OP, before doing things like this, look deep within yourself and ask: is this the kind of person I want to be? Is this really the kind of person I want to be?

For this message the author lethediver has received thanks:
PleasingFungus

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 00:25

who would want to be the kind of person who posts things about video games on the internet??

and yet here we are

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 3
Lasty, luckless, Zooty

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 01:48

I just saw that it knows where invisible enemies are in LOS even if you don't.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 04:09

It doesn't leak information about that; you still have to press 'Z' to cast it if the only enemies in LOS are unseen, just like refrigeration. But also just like refrigeration, it still works on unseen enemies.

Also, do you guys just pick GDD threads at random to moved to CYC? I made this thread specifically and explicitly to discuss a spell that I designed and added to DCSS. Do I have to include a terrible feature request for a thread to stay in GDD? Bring back grey elves.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
nago, prozacelf

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 05:51

Don't know the details. I assume it does a bit less damage than a fireball. So if you have a pack of ugly things, it can kill them all with a single cast perhaps?

Might be good in mega-zigs. If one assumes that all squares are filled, each monster would take damage from 9 explosions (a 3x3 square).

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 06:19

It can be only useful in somewhere like Vaults:5 or megazigs.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

For this message the author papilio has received thanks:
duvessa

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 08:29

Could be good vs TRJ.

Seems a bit odd that the caster & allies are immune: Crawl doesn't generally protect you from your own spells (see ball lightning.)
But I guess it would be a lot harder to use if it damaged you too.

Also, good to see a non-conjuration fire spell, though I'm not sure it's enough to stop a FE training conjurations more than fire because of all the other options that gives access to.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 11:12

So its basically ozo's refrigeration. Good job.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 14:37

duvessa wrote:Also, do you guys just pick GDD threads at random to moved to CYC? I made this thread specifically and explicitly to discuss a spell that I designed and added to DCSS. Do I have to include a terrible feature request for a thread to stay in GDD? Bring back grey elves.

Wasn't me that moved this, but it honestly reads more like a joke thread in Advice.

@duvessa: if you want to discuss the design aspects of a new spell in GDD you'll have better luck if you tone down the joke level. I thought from your post that you thought it was a dumb spell and were making fun of whoever designed it; I honestly never would have guessed it was you.

Something like:

"Hey everyone, I thought delayed fireball was weird and bad, so I designed a replacement called Ignition. Here's how it works..."

would have made it clear you wanted to have a discussion about the spell instead of wanting to crack jokes.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 14:39

And regarding the spell itself: when people say the caster and allies aren't affected, this just means they don't explode, right? Casting this while adjacent to a hostile is like casting fireball while adjacent to a hostile?

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 16:15

When duvessa mentions an opinion I cannot tell whether duvessa holds it or scorns others for holding it.
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 18:04

It is a dumb spell. It's really weak and impractical. Delayed fireball just desperately needed replacement.

njvack wrote:And regarding the spell itself: when people say the caster and allies aren't affected, this just means they don't explode, right? Casting this while adjacent to a hostile is like casting fireball while adjacent to a hostile?
No, the caster and allies can't take damage from it. The caster can't take damage from it because otherwise, A. it's a pain in the ass to use, B. it instantly kills you if you have a lot of monsters adjacent to you. Allies can't take damage from it because otherwise there's all sorts of wacky stuff that can happen depending on the order in which effects apply (think about death channel, for instance).
Note that if the spell ignited allies it would be significantly stronger for most characters, since you could use it in conjunction with summon butterflies to make lots of explosions against a single hostile monster. If you require the player to turn the allies hostile first then you need to use something like Haunt for that tactic to work (it's nearly impossible to turn more than one butterfly hostile at a time as they have 1 hp and 0 ac).
You could "solve" that by making it not work against summons at all, but aside from being horribly awkward, that fix removes what little use it has in places like Tomb.
Last edited by duvessa on Thursday, 9th February 2017, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 18:07

What about making it level 7 Fire/Earth and making it do partly irresistible damage like magma bolt?

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 19:17

duvessa wrote:(it's nearly impossible to turn more than one butterfly hostile at a time as they have 1 hp and 0 ac)

So it's really good for undead with butterflies and a source of torment?

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 19:22

I tried that, Torment won't anger butterflies because they have 1 HP and thus are unharmed by it.

You could spam s2s or something instead to get a nice horde of more durable and tormentable fuel going, though

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 21:08

If you think it's weak, that's generally an easy problem to solve. As long as the design is good (it sounds good to me, at least) adjusting the power level is just a numbers game - up the damage, or lower the level, etc. Probably want to up the damage since it's meant to replace delayed fireball and thus it needs to stay in that level range. Is it exactly 7? Single school fire, or? Maybe I should play a caster...

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 10th February 2017, 13:20

duvessa wrote:It is a dumb spell. It's really weak and impractical. Delayed fireball just desperately needed replacement.

No it didnt, extra 5mp and a free action was a great spell.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 10th February 2017, 20:51

It really wasn't.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks:
prozacelf

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 10th February 2017, 23:10

It was level 7 so I guess you could make the argument that it comes after the hard parts of the game, but anything that you can do without any time cost is very good.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 11th February 2017, 19:48

Delayed fireball, due to its 0 aut cast time, it was the most strategically important spell I never memorized.
make food great again

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 11th February 2017, 21:12

i had a dream last night that this thread was locked

also i know delayed fireball was overpowered, broken spells often are

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 11th February 2017, 23:10

FR: buff the damage, limit the amount of fireballs, have it replace fire storm as L9 spell and rename it meteor swarm
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 11th February 2017, 23:32

duvessa wrote:i had a dream last night that this thread was locked

also i know delayed fireball was overpowered, broken spells often are

FWIW it was overpowered and *also* broken, a less powerful version with the same mechanics would've been just as broken, in this case "overpowered" and "broken" happened to coincide, but weren't really related.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
duvessa

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 12th February 2017, 12:55

I thought that was the point of spells, to be overpowered and possibly broken, since you gonna break your character playing a mage anyways.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 12th February 2017, 13:39

No spell is overpowered as long as Trog exists.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 13th February 2017, 16:47

Jeremiah wrote:No spell is overpowered as long as Trog exists.

Disagree, I feel like no combination of melee and ranged combat can replace the sheer terror that is Summon Horrible Things.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner