Anyone got any good roguelikes

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 5th February 2017, 17:18

Anyone got any good roguelikes

Preferably one where you do something other than kill monsters in a dungeon, I have crawl for that

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 5th February 2017, 17:29

Re: Anyone got any good roguelikes

Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks: 2
Elitist, shping

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 6th February 2017, 00:21

My favorite roguelike is DoomRL. This is all of killin monsters in dungeon, but-
you can dodge monster's projectiles by sidestep keypress, so you feel as if you're playing classic DOOM. (although the game balance is totally broken)
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 6th February 2017, 00:31

I recommend Unreal World. It's a survival sim set in iron age Finland, complete with tanning animal furs, building your own log cabin, and getting mugged by Russian bastards. If you can get past the hellish number of controls, it's a fun game. Don't eat mushrooms btw.
take it easy

For this message the author Cheibrodos has received thanks: 2
bananaken, Gozigzag

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 6th February 2017, 01:34

liberal crime squad
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 6th February 2017, 12:25

Cheibrodos wrote:Don't eat mushrooms btw.

...or do...

Barkeep

Post Monday, 6th February 2017, 16:32

I like:

* FTL - a space-based roguelike-like. You're in a procedurally generated galaxy, with realtime (but pause-able, and you should pause a lot) combat.
* 868-HACK - a roguelike with small boards and relatively small number of abilities and enemy types, but lots of ways to put abilities together
* Hoplite - basically "Tactical Positioning: The Game"

FTL in particular is really fun, and scratches the roguelike itch without being too "I'm doing a dungeon crawl!" about it.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 6th February 2017, 16:57

Cheibrodos wrote:I recommend Unreal World. It's a survival sim set in iron age Finland, complete with tanning animal furs, building your own log cabin, and getting mugged by Russian bastards. If you can get past the hellish number of controls, it's a fun game. Don't eat mushrooms btw.

I remember when you had underflow exploits by doing stuff like "drop -1 logs" and you made a giant mess of logs at your feet, good times

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 6th February 2017, 17:00

My conscience compels me to contribute with "dream quest". While not exactly a roguelike, it still features permadeath and randomly built dungeons. Simply put, anyone who sermonises on game design principles should take a close look at this game and see how it's fucking done.
make food great again

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 7th February 2017, 15:08

Oh snap, I somehow forgot to mention Crypt of the Necrodancer. I've got like 65 hours on that game in the last few months and it's still my go-to game. Basic idea: combine a roguelike and rhythm game — you and all the monsters move to the beat of the music. The soundtrack is really good (if you like that sort of thing) and there are like a half-dozen remixes of it you can swap in if you get tired of the original.

It plays differently than most roguelikes — in particular, you really need to internalize the movement rules of the different monsters — but once you can feel what's going to happen ten beats ahead it's great. I can't remember playing anything else where climbing the learning curve was so clear and so satisfying.

It goes on sale on steam periodically for $5, but it is absolutely worth the $15.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
Lasty

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner