Why is the Seraph so pathetic?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 2nd February 2017, 18:52

Why is the Seraph so pathetic?

A good chunk of the extended bosses aren't incredibly threatening to an endgame character built to fight them, but the Seraph is in a league of its own. When I say "not incredibly threatening", I mean that they can still hurt you with their myriad of abilities. The Seraph doesn't even have this, being a solely melee monster (I think). The fact that I can't remember whether or not it has special abilities should tell you how threatening it really is.

Pan is always the last branch I do and still the four unique pan lords are threats however much I prepare for them. I believe Cerebov is considered the toughest enemy in the entire game with lots of HP and all around great firepower (no pun intended). Personally, I find Lom to be harder thanks to his absolutely nasty spells (especially Tornado) and ability to heal himself for lots of HP. While Statue Form kinda dunks on Gloorx with the right setup, for the most part he is no joke either, especially to undead. Mnoleg is eh, but his floor can seriously mess up any character without a way to circumvent malmutate and even then he is still stronger than a certain holy floor boss.

Why is the Seraph, who is found in the same branch as all four of these monsters so freaking weak? The encounter with the 5 Daevas in the small building outside of the main cathedral is more threatening than this monster, because at least they can stack a ton of smite.

I swear it's bugged too. It's not as fast as an executioner and it still has a respectable amount of HP, so why does it die when I invoke Slouch twice... The OoFs take like 3 or 4 hits at least from Slouch and they are definitely way faster and with less HP.

Can we please buff this monster? I feel like a badass any time I punch Cerebov to death with my bare hands or rip apart Lom Lobon with a nicely-timed tornado of my own. Obviously, this is not so with the Seraph.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 2nd February 2017, 22:20

Re: Why is the Seraph so pathetic?

The unique Pan lords are meant to be singularly nasty bosses. Seraphs are kind of "boss monsters", but they are still generic monsters. It's like comparing an orc warlord to Saint Roka.

You could definitely make an argument that holy pan should have a unique boss monster like the other levels of Pan and Hell, but the seraph, as designed, is not intended to be that.

For this message the author ion_frigate has received thanks: 2
Rast, VeryAngryFelid

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 2nd February 2017, 22:51

If you think seraph today is weak you wish you'd seen the old seraph. I don't remember how many versions ago it was. Just an angel with little more HP, great sword of flaming and no abilities at all.

A single daeva was more dangerous than the old seraph.

During its existence, it had only one online kill.

For this message the author Sphara has received thanks: 2
nago, Sar

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 3rd February 2017, 00:20

Six months from now: "Why is Gloorx so weak? Even Seraph is tougher!"

For this message the author Rast has received thanks: 4
duvessa, nago, NhorianScum, VeryAngryFelid

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 3rd February 2017, 02:42

Because he can't use torment, hellfire, or summon anything that can. The player character is effectively impervious to most normal attacks in extended unless they don't have rC, so the seraph isn't going to kill many people without a way to ignore AC/EV or drastically cut HP in 1 turn.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks:
nago

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd February 2017, 04:56

Seraph can summon holy allies and I think it can buff them as well.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd February 2017, 05:35

Code:
Vanquished Creatures
15 seraphim

No, please don't make Seraph similar to Cerebov.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks: 2
nago, Sar

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 3rd February 2017, 06:31

How did you encounter more than one? Is that from a ziggurat?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd February 2017, 07:18

PowerOfKaishin wrote:How did you encounter more than one? Is that from a ziggurat?

I got 12 runes during orb run.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
Sar

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 3rd February 2017, 08:09

If they made Seraphs hard then that muslim sword of jihad troll guy might show up again and get them renamed to something less Christian

For this message the author lethediver has received thanks:
nago

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 3rd February 2017, 08:14

Except every Christian reference is still in the game because no dev thought that could be a problem.
(I disagree with the reasoning behind the renaming of that fucking sword, I'm not claiming everything should be renamed)
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks:
jwoodward48ss

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 4th February 2017, 12:28

Give seraphs holy tornado.

For this message the author Gozigzag has received thanks:
PowerOfKaishin

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 4th February 2017, 20:44

Is there any compelling reason to keep seraphim and cherubim in the game at all? I get that a bunch of forced holy monsters were added because some devs wanted to have enough holy monsters to make a branch, but now people have realized that's a bad idea and a lot of the trash has been taken out (blessed toes, shedu, silver stars, paladins, and I assume apises are only still around because of someone's dual-holiness fetish). Finish the job and get rid of holy pan, imo.

lethediver wrote:If they made Seraphs hard then that muslim sword of jihad troll guy might show up again and get them renamed to something less Christian
nago wrote:Except every Christian reference is still in the game because no dev thought that could be a problem.
(I disagree with the reasoning behind the renaming of that fucking sword, I'm not claiming everything should be renamed)
How to offend reactionaries in 2 easy steps:
Step 1. offend someone else
Step 2. acknowledge your mistake

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 5
Airwolf, Gebstadter, ion_frigate, jwoodward48ss, scorpionwarrior

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 5th February 2017, 00:24

I said before there that the Seraph was buffed. But how the hell can an endgame character die on that holy level? You're gonna have to play out-of-this-world stupid to get killed there.

If you want the seraph to be any threat, place it in the Depths or something.

If you want to make the game better, remove the Holy Pan. It's zero danger EXP fodder. Most players like it because it has some cMut potions and possible artifact large shields.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 5th February 2017, 04:21

e: please delete
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 5th February 2017, 04:50

Sphara wrote:Holy Pan. ... Most players like it because it has some cMut potions and possible artifact large shields.

Dammit, wish I'd known that. Normally I skip it if I already have the rune.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 5th February 2017, 16:56

Holy Pan is not trivial for undead species...

For this message the author Airwolf has received thanks: 3
jwoodward48ss, papilio, VeryAngryFelid

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 6th February 2017, 06:15

Well, for demonspawns the pearl dragon breath is deadly
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 6th February 2017, 23:37

Seraph itself is pretty weak sure, but it can summon more angels, which have smite, and in large numbers can be deadly to anyone. I've died to a seraph on the orb run, so I'd say it's appropriately powered. Slightly weaker than the unique bosses, but can be deadly with allies. It's more of a support character, healing and protecting its army. If you don't let it build up an army of summons it'll appear as a pushover, but really you just handled the fight correctly (or at least got lucky).

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 06:58

Seraph has a major breach in his defences: injury bond. Being a summoner, he is usually surrounded by 5+ allies, and if you can hit each (cleaving, evocables, AOE spell), he will die 5 times quicker. Being a monster who doesn't have abilities that can damage player heavily, he should have Cerebov-like HP to pose real threat to player.

For this message the author ololoev has received thanks:
nago

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 10th February 2017, 18:44

ololoev wrote:Seraph has a major breach in his defences: injury bond. Being a summoner, he is usually surrounded by 5+ allies, and if you can hit each (cleaving, evocables, AOE spell), he will die 5 times quicker. Being a monster who doesn't have abilities that can damage player heavily, he should have Cerebov-like HP to pose real threat to player.

Or change the ability from injury bond to injury sink: he reduces damage taken by his allies, without being injured himself.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 10th February 2017, 19:44

Or give injury bond to his summoned allies instead.

Behold, the ultimate asshole summoner.

For this message the author Gozigzag has received thanks:
Rast

Return to Game Design Discussion