Making shields viable

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 31st January 2017, 21:09

Making shields viable

To make shields not almost universal newbie trap i propose to make bucklers/shields/large shields require 2.4/9/15 skill to remove penalties

on every species.

Mod edit: moved from GDD
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greatplayer!
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greaterplayer!
[03:57] <Sequell> kroki is a polytheist!
[21:53] <Sequell> kroki is a greatberserker!

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 31st January 2017, 22:47

Re: Making shields viable

Haven't you heard? The tavern meme meta has shifted. Shields are good now.

For this message the author amaril has received thanks: 6
Brannock, nago, papilio, Sar, Scalding Steam, VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 31st January 2017, 23:04

Yeah, according to some they are OP!
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 31st January 2017, 23:14

protip: shields are still good if you have less than 4/15/25 skill.

For this message the author amaril has received thanks: 2
papilio, Rast

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 31st January 2017, 23:38

2-handed weapons are more likely noob trap.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st February 2017, 02:24

shields have always been pretty good in places

shields skill has always been bad

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
nago

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 1st February 2017, 10:02

No one else here gets 25 shield skill on every character regardless of race/background? No one?

Wow. I am truly streets ahead of this forum.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st February 2017, 11:16

lethediver wrote:No one else here gets 25 shield skill on every character regardless of race/background? No one?

Wow. I am truly streets ahead of this forum.

I've seen several new players who trained weapon to 27 first while their dodging was below 10 but it does not mean that we should buff weapon skill pretending it is just a trap.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 1st February 2017, 18:31

The two cases in which I train Shields skill are:

1. A spellcaster has found a nice and/or early buckler, so I train Shields enough to remove its spellcasting penalty.
  2. I've found a one-handed weapon I'm satisfied with as an endgame weapon, and I've found a nice shield and/or a nice amulet of reflection.
Are these good practices?
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 1st February 2017, 19:07

MainiacJoe wrote:The two cases in which I train Shields skill are:

1. A spellcaster has found a nice and/or early buckler, so I train Shields enough to remove its spellcasting penalty.
  2. I've found a one-handed weapon I'm satisfied with as an endgame weapon, and I've found a nice shield and/or a nice amulet of reflection.
Are these good practices?

1. Sure.
2. If I find a great one-hander, I'll often train Shd to 4 early after finding any buckler. 4 skill is cheap, 15 is not, so I'll wait and see whether a great two-hander pops up before committing, and just keep upgrading the buckler.
Spellcasting penalties, Armour skill, and strength
15 runes: 2x HuSk, Op(Mo,Tm,Wn,Fi,Wr,EE,AM,Wz,Ne), VSTm, DsTm, Dg(Sk,Tm), MuGl, GhMo, Fe(En,EE,Ar,Wn,IE)
3 runes: FoFi, OgSk, KoHu, SpCj, 2x DgGl, MiBe, Fe(Fi,Tm,Mo,Su)

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 7th February 2017, 23:21

I largely agree; Bucklers are very efficient investments if you have a good one handed weapon, training Shields past 4 is an endgame commitment I reserve for a good one handed weapon on a character that relies on EV for mitigation (if I'm in CPA and have <10 dodging in Vaults I don't really care...) or have reflection. Shields don't have a to-hit penalty, nor a speed penalty, only EV and spellcasting. If I'm not casting, and I'm not dodging immediately, meh? I'll train dodging if I'm going to and train shields later?

Early game if I'm in armour I will ALWAYS slap on the biggest shield I can find.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 10:09

Kuprin wrote:Shields don't have a to-hit penalty, nor a speed penalty

They do have both. To-hit penalty stays forever, speed penalty disappears normally at high enough Shields level (15 for regular shield for most species etc.)
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 16:12

Kuprin wrote:I largely agree; Bucklers are very efficient investments if you have a good one handed weapon

I realized after I wrote the above that training Shields to 4 does slightly impact your chance of acquiring a two-handed vs. one-handed weapon. I'm not sure how large an effect this is, and it is almost certainly a lesser cost than not training the buckler. It probably belongs in the category of, "If you're worrying about food, you're doing it wrong."
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 10th February 2017, 08:06

Any effect that has is probably pretty negligible, because I can think of any number of times that I acquired a weapon and got a two-hander when I was already using a shield at or near the "appropriate" skill level for it.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 12th February 2017, 02:50

prozacelf wrote:Any effect that has is probably pretty negligible, because I can think of any number of times that I acquired a weapon and got a two-hander when I was already using a shield at or near the "appropriate" skill level for it.

This is how I feel too, at least for bucklers (which I use much more often than all the rest).

The reverse is also true: Oka will drop shields left and right even though you're currently wielding such a nice two-hander, or even carrying a collection of them.
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 13th February 2017, 02:42

Shields have always been good. Which shield type used for best effect depends on race and stat distribution. The main draw back being penalties to melee attacks early game, while the main benefit is blocking more attacks from early game threats. Shields benefit greatly from str/dex or str.

Lately, reflection made shields into a gimmick.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 18th February 2017, 21:14

I nearly always use shields. I'll admit I don't know what all the Shields skill contributes to their usage, I just always assumed more was better for a higher SH rating. I also don't number crunch any of the other skills though, other than min delay with weapons now that that's actually displayed, so maybe they really are inefficient and I've been wasting my time. One thing I was disappointed to learn a while back was that shields don't do anything to mitigate bolt spells. Is this still the case?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 18th February 2017, 23:18

evomer wrote:One thing I was disappointed to learn a while back was that shields don't do anything to mitigate bolt spells. Is this still the case?

Yes.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 19th February 2017, 00:10

Shields work fine, they do make you harder to kill. They also make the game a little bit more boring if you rely on reposte or cleave to kill popcorn, because they will inflict less damage, but they make up for it if you find reflection and use it in places like Spider, Elf, Shoals and Vaults.

I find them very good in Spider, since orbs of destruction cannot be dodged, and the only way I found to explode them without running away is to hit them with another orb. They probably also are good for slow people, since they can't always get the positioning they'd like, and the shield gives them a bit of added defence. Shield efficiency actually decreases with each attack you take during that turn, however, so they actually work best in corridors and one-on-one fights.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Barkeep

Post Monday, 20th February 2017, 18:27

Shtopit wrote:orbs of destruction cannot be dodged, and the only way I found to explode them without running away is to hit them with another orb

If you just want it to not hit you, summons are great. You probably don't want to do orb-on-orb collisions unless you want to invite the whole level over to come see you; IIRC that's one of the loudest sounds in the whole game.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice