Minor request for the lone Wanderer

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 21st January 2017, 01:54

Minor request for the lone Wanderer

I guess the is the right place to make a simple, maybe silly request...
Once in a while. I roll a random Wanderer for fun. But there is only one thing stopping me from really trying a dedicated start.
Not one little piece of guaranteed gear. I know that he premise for this class means that you get what you get in terms of starting inventory. And I like the random shot.
But maybe we could pretend that our adventurer had chanced upon an item on his way to the Dungeon?

Maybe the Book of Cantrips? Nothing overpowering, but useful to any character.

Or even make it a coin-toss chance that a Wanderer gets it. But I think that would be the perfect and/or only starting book for them.

Just my 2 cents.

<EDIT>
Either that, or give a Box Of Beasts. Just for giggles.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 21st January 2017, 08:00

Re: Minor request for the lone Wanderer

I wouldn't mind giving Wanderer a guaranteed +0 dagger, but both of those are a wee bit too strong to be given to an intentionally inconsistent start.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 21st January 2017, 12:23

I played quite a lot of Wanderers recently (planning to win all of them eventually) and while I didn't code dive to confirm it, there seems to be a pattern that makes you at least semi-proficient in one of the things you receive, so most of the starts will have something to base their character on in the very early Dungeon.

Still, there was one case where I had a book start with 0 Spellcasting and 0 spell slots and my only weapon was one curare needle, so maybe guarantee 1 Spellcasting for a book Wanderer start? Would be nice.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 25th January 2017, 14:25

Wanderers have the extreme possibility of starting with all of your points in hexes, while only being given a blowgun and a single curare needle and nothing else. Maybe they are a little *too* random.
I'm with tasonir on this one.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 25th January 2017, 14:45

[Ctrl][Q] and what have you lost, 20 seconds? Or if you're really opposed to start-scumming, let D:1 do it for you.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 25th January 2017, 16:46

Midn8 wrote:Wanderers have the extreme possibility of starting with all of your points in hexes, while only being given a blowgun and a single curare needle and nothing else. Maybe they are a little *too* random.

That's my feeling too. I don't think Wanderers should get any specific guaranteed weapon, but I do think it would be nice if there were a bit more correlation between your starting items and starting skills. I'd be in favor of just adding the rule that Wanderers never start with points in a skill that they don't have equipment to used (so no spellcasting unless they have a book, no spell schools unless they have a book with a spell from that school, no weapon skills unless they have a weapon of that type).

For this message the author Quazifuji has received thanks:
jwoodward48ss

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 25th January 2017, 19:55

MainiacJoe wrote:[Ctrl][Q] and what have you lost, 20 seconds? Or if you're really opposed to start-scumming, let D:1 do it for you.

You realize the design goals of the game are exactly against this kind of play, right?

For this message the author PowerOfKaishin has received thanks: 3
jwoodward48ss, Midn8, nago

Return to Game Design Discussion