ITT we remove races

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 18th January 2017, 20:04

ITT we remove races

I'll start

Trolls were a relatively uninteresting species in terms of gameplay, feeling somewhat like Ogres but with Unarmed specialization like Merfolk.Their theme originates from Tolkien, a source of lore that crawl is trying to borrow less from these days. Their gorgeous green skin not withstanding, this particular Tolkien reference wasn't particularly interesting.

Hill Orcs were a relatively uninteresting species in terms of gameplay, feeling somewhat like Minotaurs but with weapon specialization like Merfolk.Their theme originates from Tolkien, a source of lore that crawl is trying to borrow less from these days. Their gorgeous green skin not withstanding, this particular Tolkien reference wasn't particularly interesting.

Halflings were a relatively uninteresting species in terms of gameplay, feeling somewhat like Kobolds but with weapon specialization like Merfolk.Their theme originates from Tolkien, a source of lore that crawl is trying to borrow less from these days. Their gorgeous hairy feet not withstanding, this particular Tolkien reference wasn't particularly interesting.

Minotaurs were a relatively uninteresting species in terms of gameplay, feeling somewhat like Deep Dwarves but with healing and a lack of weapon specialization like Humans.Their theme originates from Greek Mythology, a source of lore that crawl is trying to borrow less from these days. Their gorgeous horns not withstanding, this particular mythological reference wasn't particularly interesting.

Tengu were a relatively uninteresting species in terms of gameplay, feeling somewhat like Deep Elves but with an evasion specialization like Kobolds.Their theme originates from Japanese mythology, a source of lore that crawl is trying to borrow less from these days. Their gorgeous wings not withstanding, this particular mythological reference wasn't particularly interesting.

Kobolds were a relatively uninteresting species in terms of gameplay, feeling somewhat like Halflings but with weapon specialization like Merfolk.Their theme originates from Dungeons and Dragons, a source of lore that crawl is trying to borrow less from these days. Their gorgeous doggy ears not withstanding, this particular D&D reference wasn't particularly interesting.

Felids were a relatively uninteresting species in terms of gameplay, feeling somewhat like Spriggans but with Unarmed specialization like Ghouls.Their theme originates from real life, a source of lore that crawl is trying to borrow less from these days. Their cute faces not withstanding, this particular real-life reference wasn't particularly interesting.

Vampires were a relatively uninteresting species in terms of gameplay, feeling somewhat like Spriggans but with weapon specialization like Merfolk.Their theme originates from Twilight, a source of lore that crawl is trying to borrow less from these days. Their sparkly skin not withstanding, this particular "literary" reference wasn't particularly interesting.

Centaurs were a relatively uninteresting species in terms of gameplay, feeling somewhat like stronger Spriggans but with Bows specialization like Elves.Their theme originates from Greek Mythology, a source of lore that crawl is trying to borrow less from these days.This particular mythological reference wasn't particularly interesting.

Humans were a relatively uninteresting species in terms of gameplay, feeling somewhat like Demonspawn or Draconians but with a lack of any other interesting features.Their theme originates from real life, a source of lore that crawl is trying to borrow less from these days.This particular real-life reference wasn't particularly interesting.

Ghouls were a relatively uninteresting species in terms of gameplay, feeling somewhat like Vampires but with Unarmed specialization like Trolls. Their theme originates from Night of the Living Dead, a source of lore that crawl is trying to borrow less from these days.This particular cinematic reference wasn't particularly interesting.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks: 8
bananaken, Cimanyd, dynast, Ge0ff, nago, NhorianScum, ThreeInvisibleDucks, Ultraviolent4

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 18th January 2017, 20:12

Re: ITT we remove races

clap... clap... clap... *silence*. Oops, my hand accidentally missed the other hand.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 18th January 2017, 20:30

#KeepTheMemeAlive

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th January 2017, 20:39

Crawl orcs have gray skin.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 18th January 2017, 20:57

looks brownish-pink to me...
remove food

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 18th January 2017, 21:06

i've never really been a fan of the 100 meter dash

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 18th January 2017, 21:09

Please... Please stop... You murderer!
make food great again

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 18th January 2017, 22:39

Stop suggesting they remove more races or else they'll implement more Frogs.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

For this message the author Elitist has received thanks:
nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th January 2017, 23:21

Otherwise very well constructed and sensible post, but saying that Vampires' theme originates from Twilight is just unacceptable :)
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 18th January 2017, 23:38

For reference:

gammafunk wrote:High elves were a relatively uninteresting species in terms of gameplay,
feeling somewhat like tengu but with weapon specialization like merfolk.
Their theme originates from Tolkien, a source of lore that crawl is
trying to borrow less from these days. Their gorgeous blonde hair not
withstanding, this particular Tolkien reference wasn't particularly
interesting.

[Especially with Ogres now also having newly-improved casting apts, there's a
very wide range of hybrid/magic-oriented species, with High Elves being
increasingly redundant. -MarvinPA]

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 18th January 2017, 23:39

Sprucery wrote:Otherwise very well constructed and sensible post, but saying that Vampires' theme originates from Twilight is just unacceptable :)

Well, vampires are undead and twilight killed vampires so i think its accurate.
You shall never see my color again.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 19th January 2017, 05:00

Races were a relatively uninteresting mechanic in terms of gameplay, feeling somewhat like a character template but with specialization like aptitudes. Their theme originates from Dungeons and Dragons, a source of lore that crawl is trying to borrow less from these days. Their differentiating qualities not withstanding, this particular D&D reference wasn't particularly interesting.

For this message the author Floodkiller has received thanks: 3
Deso, Sar, Scalding Steam

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 19th January 2017, 15:05

Frogs were a relatively uninteresting species in terms of gameplay, feeling somewhat like Humans but with weapon specialization like Merfolk. Their theme originates from Zelda, a source of lore that crawl is trying to borrow less from these days. Their gorgeous green skin not withstanding, this particular Zelda reference wasn't particularly interesting.
Spoiler: show
hi

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 19th January 2017, 16:12

when you unironically realize just how many crawl races are weaker versions of merfolk
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks:
Ultraviolent4

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 19th January 2017, 16:17

when you unironically realize that all crawl races are just different versions of humans

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 19th January 2017, 16:30

ONIchinchin wrote:when you unironically realize that all crawl races are just different versions of humans

Yep, Felids are humans who happen to be like cats. :mrgreen:

For this message the author Deso has received thanks:
Midn8

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 19th January 2017, 19:55

tabstorm wrote:I'll start
Tengu were a relatively uninteresting species in terms of gameplay, feeling somewhat like Deep Elves but with an evasion specialization like Kobolds.Their theme originates from Japanese mythology, a source of lore that crawl is trying to borrow less from these days. Their gorgeous wings not withstanding, this particular mythological reference wasn't particularly interesting.

But tengu are based on D&D birdpeople
it's only the name that comes from Japanese mythology

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 20th January 2017, 00:44

Code:
!learn add gammafunk High elves were a relatively uninteresting species in terms of gameplay... Their theme originates from Tolkien, a source of lore that crawl is trying to borrow less from these days.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 20th January 2017, 20:17

Sounds like people want to read more of my greatest commit messages. The high elf one is nice, but by no means my finest. I'll post a few later today.

For this message the author gammafunk has received thanks: 6
Arrhythmia, Floodkiller, PleasingFungus, Rast, Sar, TrumpTrain

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 20th January 2017, 20:46

gammafunk wrote:Sounds like people want to read more of my greatest commit messages.

Yes, this is definitely what you should be taking away from this thread
take it easy

For this message the author Cheibrodos has received thanks: 2
Cimanyd, NhorianScum

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 22nd January 2017, 05:49

First, you took my favorite fighter race, then you took my favorite archer race.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 22nd January 2017, 15:18

TonberryJam wrote:First, you took my favorite fighter race, then you took my favorite archer race.

Well, I'm sure the devs would now like to know: what is your favourite caster race?
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 2
nago, pedritolo

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 22nd January 2017, 16:46

Sprucery wrote:
TonberryJam wrote:First, you took my favorite fighter race, then you took my favorite archer race.

Well, I'm sure the devs would now like to know: what is your favourite caster race?

Please say Octopode so we can finally rework them. They're so close to being fun.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

For this message the author Elitist has received thanks:
TrumpTrain

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 22nd January 2017, 17:19

Elitist wrote:
Sprucery wrote:

Please say Octopode so we can finally rework them. They're so close to being fun.

Lets create some armor for them. Felids should be able to wear hats, octopodes should have atleast some armor or something. Give them the ability to wear cloaks
Spoiler: show
hi

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 22nd January 2017, 20:42

What we need are octopode bardings. And cloaks too, why not?
remove food

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 22nd January 2017, 22:41

Jokes aside, I would like cloak on Octopode. It'd give them access to more early AC and a few more resistances later on. They're almost magikarp tier, please. I love magikarp races.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 23rd January 2017, 01:12

'ITT we remove races' was a relatively uninteresting thread in terms of amusement value, feeling somewhat like a twelve post but expressing genuine gameplay criticism like minmay. Its theme originates from crawl development, a source of humor that CYC is trying to borrow less from these days. Its gorgeous range of species parodies not withstanding, this particular gameplay reference wasn't particularly interesting.

For this message the author Croases has received thanks: 2
Rast, TrumpTrain

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner