Proposal: God of gluttony

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 18th December 2016, 18:12

Proposal: God of gluttony

I'm long time crawl fan, berserker lover and dying in vaults fan. I always admired food mechanic, the need for butchering corpses and eating them, of course I enjoyed playing as troll, feeling the satisfaction while becoming engorged. But I want to eat more! I want to eat them all!

I would like to see a god of gluttony in game, which will allow me to satisfy my hunger even more. This god will reward eating by providing more things to eat, but will become furious if his/hers followers will not eat, get hungry or leave food to completely rot. Many creatures see this god as joke, but god of gluttony shows all who is in the top of food chain. His/hers followers will learn how to eat their problems away.

Restrictions:
- Demigods cannot worship god of gluttony
- Any race that does not have eating capability like vampires, mummies, maybe even ghouls?

Appreciates:
- Eating food
- Eating food while engorged (more piety, maybe buff see Hungry metabolism)
- Killing hungry ghost (any other theme monsters?)

Deprecates:
- Not eating for a while.
- Satiation level lower than normal (more hungry, more piety loss)
- Chunk of food completely rot in inventory.
- Abandonment. If you dare to abandon god of gluttony you will vomit everything to satiation level "starving". I hope you die you infidel.
- Not butchering corpses. // I'm not sure about this, I want somehow force player to eat everything, even poisoned, mutagenic food. But I don't see how this feature can be implemented reliably, butcherable monster can be killed outside of player screen, e.t.c.

Given Abilities (without cost numbers)
Piety level "-" - Food novice
- Hungry metabolism - Passive ability: You will become omnivorous, you can eat to engorged state. If you eat while fully engorged, you vomit, gain piety, don't lose any satiation (maybe even heal a litle or gain some buff?). Also you burn that food a lot faster, same as fast metabolism.
Piety level "*" - Food acolyte
- Animal instinct - Active ability: You will vomit a creature who has chance to leave chunks of food. This creature will be mostly animal in fear state, but you can also vomit berserker bears, because fuck you. (Costs none food, some or a lot of piety)
Piety level "**" - Food monk
- Food scavenger - Active ability: You will vomit a chunks of food to eat, You will always vomit more food than costs of this ability. (Costs some food and a lot of piety)
Piety level "***" - Food artist
- Vomit beam - Active ability: You will vomit a beam of powerful gastric acid. (Costs some food, some piety) // It would be interesting to give this ability a stack mechanic, so it could be a very damaging ability but with start and stop penalty.
Piety level "****" - Hungry abomination
- Food cleansing - Active/Passive ability: You will be cleansed of all non-perma mutations and poisoned status. (So this could be passive ability, or active ability with a lot of piety costs, or this ability will not exists at all, but instead god of gluttony can gift you some potions.)
Piety level "*****" - Eternal hunger
- Hungry rejoice - Active ability: You will vomit a flesh monster (like those from Cigotuvi's Fleshworks (including flesh golem, but never Cigotuvi's Monster)) who will fight and eat by your side. (Costs a lot of food and piety)

Gifts:
- Permafood
- Potion of curing, cure mutation? (see Food cleansing ability)

Some final words:
I want to create fun and interesting god. Satiation status with this god will be transformed into some kind of mana pool. very disgusting mana pool. The constant hunger should drive the player to food/vomit madness. Player should feel rewarded while eating, killing everything and eating again. But if player will stay inactive, without finding things to feed his/her hunger he will die a lot faster.
Please provide feedback to this proposal (especially please help with names), some of these ideas are rusty and boring, lets shine them up.
I didn't yet contribute to Dungeon Crawl code, but I'm willing to implement this feature and learn about DCSS codebase.

So is this idea DCSS compatible?

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 18th December 2016, 19:23

Re: Proposal: God of gluttony

The future of Crawl's food system is a bit uncertain at the moment. Many who frequent this forum would prefer to see food removed, and so far as I know the developers are at least considering that option. Given this, I doubt they'd want to introduce a food-centric god, at least until a lot of things get resolved.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 18th December 2016, 19:33

Dioneo wrote:The future of Crawl's food system is a bit uncertain at the moment. Many who frequent this forum would prefer to see food removed, and so far as I know the developers are at least considering that option. Given this, I doubt they'd want to introduce a food-centric god, at least until a lot of things get resolved.

Oh, really? Can someone from dev team confirm this?

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 19th December 2016, 00:03

I think any mechanic that contributes to survival mechanics is worth keeping. Don't see the point to remove food. Boring or uninteresting is opinion of perspective. Tedium can always be reworked.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 19th December 2016, 01:29

a part of reworking things is getting rid of bad mechanics, like food

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Shard1697

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 19th December 2016, 05:41

TonberryJam wrote:Boring or uninteresting is opinion of perspective.
oh, I guess everything's subjective so nothing should ever be changed about crawl. you can argue it either way, you see, which means either way is by default equally valid

actually no food sucks, does not produce meaningful decisions and simply makes you press keys a few times more over the course of the game for no reason while making more inventory hassle. whoopie.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
duvessa

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 20th December 2016, 17:55

Well, now I'm totally confused, so I guess I just have to wait to see how this food situation will be resolved? I don't think managing satiation is tedious, but I can see your point.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 10:06

tedious is a code on this forum. The whole game is tedious, no matter which mechanic irks you the wrong way. Every fight gets played the same way.

The common "solution" is to remove things and make the game resolve to a win faster with less work; rather than, rework a mechanic to produce a desired result.

The game is being "modernized" which makes it "boring".

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2016, 06:55

if you think the game is less boring because of food I don't even know what to tell you

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 24th December 2016, 02:07

I'm ok with a vomit beam weapon but god of gluttony concept could be realized in ways that don't involve eating your own puke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 24th December 2016, 05:07

TonberryJam wrote:tedious is a code on this forum. The whole game is tedious, no matter which mechanic irks you the wrong way. Every fight gets played the same way.

The common "solution" is to remove things and make the game resolve to a win faster with less work; rather than, rework a mechanic to produce a desired result.

The game is being "modernized" which makes it "boring".

hey uh, have ya played hellcrawl yet

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner