Remove shafts

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 24th November 2016, 03:37

Remove shafts

They just make game more unfair.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th November 2016, 04:05

Re: Remove shafts

It has been discussed recently. Devs are going to keep them.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
tabstorm

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 24th November 2016, 08:43

Anyone ever try reverse psychology on the devs?

They seem to really enjoy taking the best/most popular proposals in this forum and either not doing them, or doing the opposite... so maybe if we all just pretend to want food, traps and early game in general to be more difficult/convoluted/tedium inducing, it would somehow help.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th November 2016, 08:53

Shafts are fun, as are other traps. Only the activation mechanism needs to be changed (so that keeping track of stepped-on squares would not be optimal).

I think it should be something like 'every time you take a step, there is a 0.01% chance a trap will trigger'. (Chance adjustable for balance). So it would be like hell effects but only activated when you take a step.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 24th November 2016, 09:32

Sprucery wrote:Shafts are fun, as are other traps.

"Fun" here means: annoying.
See also: "Xom is fun".

For this message the author Magipi has received thanks: 2
duvessa, VeryAngryFelid

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th November 2016, 09:38

Or maybe "fun" here means fun, you know, a subjective enjoyment of a game feature.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 4
dracos369, Implojin, Rast, ZipZipskins

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 24th November 2016, 10:35

Sprucery wrote:Shafts are fun, as are other traps.

no
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th November 2016, 10:37

Also Traps skill should be reintroduced (for detecting traps and possibly affecting trap effects).
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 2
infinitevox, VeryAngryFelid

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 24th November 2016, 12:32

I'm completely indifferent to traps in general and occasionally *have* actually enjoyed the situations shafts have put me into, when they did not simply kill me outright (which honestly doesn't seem common). I just wish they'd do something about the ones guaranteed to block the lungs in Zot:5, because I'm of the opinion that one should never be forced to walk on Zot or teleport traps.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 24th November 2016, 13:39

The "random chance to generate a trap/shaft on the tile you are about to walk on, your movement will stop if you spot it" method would avoid the tracking problem.

I personally like shafts and (to a lesser extent) traps, shafts and teleport traps can be used to your advantage to get away from or to remove a monster from your immediate vicinity by making it walk on them.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
IronCretin

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 24th November 2016, 14:21

Shtopit wrote:The "random chance to generate a trap/shaft on the tile you are about to walk on, your movement will stop if you spot it" method would avoid the tracking problem.

I personally like shafts and (to a lesser extent) traps, shafts and teleport traps can be used to your advantage to get away from or to remove a monster from your immediate vicinity by making it walk on them.

Yeah, agreed.

I'm prepared to accept some unfairness for interesting, difficult situations. So put me down for not only "Shafts are fun" but shafts are one of the most fun things in the game.

For this message the author Reptisaurus has received thanks:
IronCretin

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th November 2016, 14:46

lethediver wrote:Anyone ever try reverse psychology on the devs?

They seem to really enjoy taking the best/most popular proposals in this forum and either not doing them, or doing the opposite... so maybe if we all just pretend to want food, traps and early game in general to be more difficult/convoluted/tedium inducing, it would somehow help.

I have impression that devs want to provide an easy difficulty level via MiBe and alike but then feel it's too easy and add ways to kill it with unavoidable shafts, banishment, paralysis, distortion, teleportation traps and other unfair and unfun things.
I believe if players choose to play easy combos, they should have easy time everywhere, not just on D:1 vs rats.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th November 2016, 20:29

Sprucery wrote:Shafts are fun, as are other traps. Only the activation mechanism needs to be changed (so that keeping track of stepped-on squares would not be optimal).

I think it should be something like 'every time you take a step, there is a 0.01% chance a trap will trigger'. (Chance adjustable for balance). So it would be like hell effects but only activated when you take a step.

What if, instead, every time a square *left* your los, any traps on it were removed. That would eliminate a lot of the tedium while preserving the possibility of pre detecting them and having them influence your tactics.
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 24th November 2016, 21:35

Then you would take a step back after every step forward.

I think the ideal solution without introducing new mechanics would be to have traps trigger on exposing new tiles.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th November 2016, 22:00

Lasty wrote:Then you would take a step back after every step forward.

I think the ideal solution without introducing new mechanics would be to have traps trigger on exposing new tiles.

Hm, that is a good point, removing on removing from los wouldn't work.

I just personally feel that found traps are the only part of traps that are remotely interesting. Triggering on tile reveal makes them both much worse (if they generate at the current rate, obviously that can be adjusted to conpensate) and much less intersting (in my opinion)
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 25th November 2016, 01:25

Every point and counterpoint has been made regarding traps already on this forum. It has been decided that they add enough interest to the game that the tedious behavior they encourage can be overlooked.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks:
duvessa

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner