Remove randart books, arrows, bolts

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2016, 09:28

Remove randart books, arrows, bolts

They are totally meaningless, just make game more boring

If you think arrows and bolts should remain, then please bring back branded arrows/bolts and expand inventory.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

For this message the author papilio has received thanks:
duvessa

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2016, 09:41

Re: Remove randart books, arrows, bolts

fr: randart arrows and bolts

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 8
Cimanyd, dracos369, nago, papilio, Rast, tedric, VeryAngryFelid, ZipZipskins

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2016, 14:40

Sar wrote:fr: randart arrows and bolts

Silvery arrow "True Aim"
Obsidian quarrel bolt "Thunderstroke"
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2016, 14:52

I don't wanna hear about any distressingly furry arrows

For this message the author ZipZipskins has received thanks:
Elitist

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2016, 20:53

I am not sure why randart spellbooks are bad but in my current Transmutations game I have the Book of Transfigurations 8 times after 4 runes (did slime and tombs before v5). Sine I wanted to use dragon form the first time I found it I was like "Fuck yeah!" by the 4th I was like "Jeez" the last three I found in the tombs and there were two literally right next to each other. By this time since I really was hoping for necromutation, because what else am I gonna use for food and mutation, I was "Is this some kind of prank by the berotato admin or something?" I literally saw two book went over the first and its the 7th Book of transfiguration and looked at the 8th and said "This is gonna be the book of transfigurations isn't it?" and then I bumped my head on the desk when it was.

For this message the author severen has received thanks: 3
darksab0r, dracos369, IronCretin

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2016, 21:12

severen wrote:I am not sure why randart spellbooks are bad but in my current Transmutations game I have the Book of Transfigurations 8 times after 4 runes (did slime and tombs before v5). Sine I wanted to use dragon form the first time I found it I was like "Fuck yeah!" by the 4th I was like "Jeez" the last three I found in the tombs and there were two literally right next to each other. By this time since I really was hoping for necromutation, because what else am I gonna use for food and mutation, I was "Is this some kind of prank by the berotato admin or something?" I literally saw two book went over the first and its the 7th Book of transfiguration and looked at the 8th and said "This is gonna be the book of transfigurations isn't it?" and then I bumped my head on the desk when it was.

I don't think that's an admin prank. But it may be life telling you it's time for some body changes.
make food great again

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 24th November 2016, 16:01

About arrows and bolts, I think they are interesting in a way (they give you a limit early in the game). However, I wouldn't make them appear in the inventory as their own item, as long as you have a bow.
I'd have it show this way:

You don't have a bow: like it's now:
  Code:
a - 33 arrows

You have a bow:
  Code:
a - a +3 shortbow of flaming (33 arrows)

If you have two bows, add the number of arrows to both:
  Code:
a - a +7 longbow of freezing (40 arrows)
b - a cursed -3 shortbow (40 arrows)
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks: 2
dracos369, IronCretin

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 29th November 2016, 17:38

pedritolo wrote:
severen wrote:I am not sure why randart spellbooks are bad but in my current Transmutations game I have the Book of Transfigurations 8 times after 4 runes (did slime and tombs before v5). Sine I wanted to use dragon form the first time I found it I was like "Fuck yeah!" by the 4th I was like "Jeez" the last three I found in the tombs and there were two literally right next to each other. By this time since I really was hoping for necromutation, because what else am I gonna use for food and mutation, I was "Is this some kind of prank by the berotato admin or something?" I literally saw two book went over the first and its the 7th Book of transfiguration and looked at the 8th and said "This is gonna be the book of transfigurations isn't it?" and then I bumped my head on the desk when it was.

I don't think that's an admin prank. But it may be life telling you it's time for some body changes.

Well I DO sexually identify as a dragon ...

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 29th November 2016, 18:09

Shtopit wrote:About arrows and bolts, I think they are interesting in a way (they give you a limit early in the game). However, I wouldn't make them appear in the inventory as their own item, as long as you have a bow.
I'd have it show this way:

You don't have a bow: like it's now:
  Code:
a - 33 arrows

You have a bow:
  Code:
a - a +3 shortbow of flaming (33 arrows)

If you have two bows, add the number of arrows to both:
  Code:
a - a +7 longbow of freezing (40 arrows)
b - a cursed -3 shortbow (40 arrows)

I don't really think I exactly advocate removing ammo but I do have a couple high level problems with current ammo:

1) The various ammos are not equal through the early/mid game due to the types that drop them. Its much easier to get arrows early vs bolts. Since bows shoot faster than Xbows I don't think this is a valid "balancing mechanism".
2) Although you typically get get 1000-2000 arrows or bolts after clearing down to zot4 and vaults5, since the abyss/pand/ziggs are essentially infinite but are highly unlikely to replenish your ammo at the same rate you will eventually run out. While this is often not really a practical issue, it bugs me because it just doesn't line up to spell casting and melee.

So I would say two things:
1) Ammo needs to be less dependent on monsters that drop the ammo.
2) I would like some kind of artifact or something that is reliably obtainable (perhaps always exists on vault 5) that eventually gave infinite normal ammo. This might sound a little off, but really by the time you clear vault5 you probably have close to 1000 bolts or arrows from having killed many herds of centaurs/yaktaurs.

Basically if you start an Xbow hunter you are going to be much more bolt starved than a Bow hunter for the mid game to the point where you almost have to go with an ammo gift god, but once you run into yaktaur packs that is completely gone as any sort of concern unless you do a lot of the infinite branches. Initially there is some interesting choice as to whether or not you should shoot based on resources. But this choice is nowhere even close to equivalent for bows vs xbows and eventually becomes moot in a practical because of large packs later in the game.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 29th November 2016, 20:10

randart books do serve a purpose atm - you cannot get certain books from Sif Muna but you can get randart book gifts that contain spells from those unavailable books

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 29th November 2016, 20:33

removeelyvilon wrote:randart books do serve a purpose atm - you cannot get certain books from Sif Muna but you can get randart book gifts that contain spells from those unavailable books

I was kind of assuming he meant do a Nemelex on Sif so that randart books only happen as Sif gifts but are removed from the convetional loot table like they did with decks. I think his basic premise is that they are often crap and pollute/dilute drops.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 30th November 2016, 11:03

I remember this one game where Haste was already removed from book of Enchantments, but I found a randart book with it in a shop. It costed 3610 gold though, and it wasn't a particularly greedy shop, and the book didn't have other good high level spells.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner