Generate ghosts sleeping.

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 13th November 2016, 22:48

Generate ghosts sleeping.

If I can't get them removed entirely, let's go with something a lot more reasonable that almost everyone can get behind.

When almost all of the ghosts are MiBe or TrBe or something else equally dumb, I should be able to hit X-e and move on with my life. Instead I'm forced to constantly go up one level and pick a different staircase because there's a ghost wandering and it almost always manages to find me when I autoexplore.

I can't kill it because it's as strong as a player character, almost always one of the very robust fighter types, and has some really good resistances (notably, immunity to poison) and the ability to fly on top. The only way to reliably kill a ghost without brute force is to confuse it and stab it to death.

For the most recent ghosts I ran into, I was worshipping Chei (no jokes or smartass comments please) and I couldn't afford to continuously burn Tele everytime they spotted me. This meant I had to fight them instead.

The first one I ran into (not so ironically, a MiBe) I burned Tele to get away from, as one is wont to do. Then it showed up again and in a worse spot, so I went through 6 or 7 potions and managed to get Haste, Might, and Agi without getting screwed with something which allowed me to just barely melee it to death without dying. I was a GrEE, so spells did nothing to it. Ran into another MiBe the next floor and decided that maybe I could hit it with something to do damage in vain hopes that I could use my Teles on something a little less ridiculous. Nope, had to Tele away again, where I was quickly killed because I was low on HP because the ghost was in range and managed to hit me twice in that time.

I'm worshipping Chei so my offense is nothing to scoff at and still I can barely even scratch these things without ridiculous buffs. They're more dangerous than any unique in terms of straight up kill power and undebateably the biggest threats in the dungeon if playing a Naga or worshipping Chei. Considering the player already has to deal with a bunch of scary monsters (including uniques) not generated from other players being some combination of bad and/or unlucky, it feels really unfair to throw in a few of these behemoths into the mix, let alone just one.

I'm pretty sure literally everything else in the game generates asleep. Ghosts should generate asleep as well.

For this message the author PowerOfKaishin has received thanks:
runewalsh

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 13th November 2016, 23:06

Re: Generate ghosts sleeping.

Related: put some sort of restrain on spamming mephitic clouds for player ghosts.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 14th November 2016, 23:46

There's a lot of restraints that should be put on player ghosts, but I doubt the devs will, so I'm going with something that should be a thing but isn't, for some strange reason.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2016, 06:35

I'm sorry, OP. I think that's just bad luck right there.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2016, 19:34

What if chei slowed down player ghosts? It would help with the OP's issue at least, and would kinda sorta be thematic...
Generating ghosts asleep also makes plenty of sense.

I mean, I'd rather see them removed, but that's not really what this thread is about.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2016, 23:54

So does anyone actually have a reason OP's proposal shouldn't be implemented?

This seems like a complete no-brainer.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 00:15

dowan wrote:What if chei slowed down player ghosts? It would help with the OP's issue at least, and would kinda sorta be thematic...
Generating ghosts asleep also makes plenty of sense.

I mean, I'd rather see them removed, but that's not really what this thread is about.

I thought about this as well, but determined that I didn't want to offer an alternate solution for my corner case considering it's very, very likely I will be playing a game in which I do not worship Chei. I want this issue not to be ridiculous then as well.

lethediver wrote:So does anyone actually have a reason OP's proposal shouldn't be implemented?

This seems like a complete no-brainer.

I agree. And as we all know, no-brainers are disallowed by the design philosophy. Therefore, it should be put into the game so that it's no longer a no-brainer and is instead in the game. That's my argument and I'm sticking to it.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 29th November 2016, 14:09

Gonna bump this since I don't think it's been done yet and was wondering if anyone had anything to add that I might've missed. I still think this is a great idea.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 29th November 2016, 14:35

Player ghosts could work well as portal vaults. The portal would be a player grave, inscribed with their "high-score line", and upon '>'-ing on the grave, the player would enter the level where the ghost died. The stairs / portal out of that level would be unlocked by killing the ghost. Spectral / undead of the monsters killed in the original game may or may not be added, either inside or outside the grave level.

For this message the author galbolle has received thanks:
IronCretin

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 29th November 2016, 15:03

I like how player ghosts are implemented in another game, they are optional and don't need any setting change. You find some ruins and have a choice of searching them, this can bring you some items and/or player ghost.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Return to Game Design Discussion