Improve tabbing with ranged weapons

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 6th November 2016, 00:02

Improve tabbing with ranged weapons

Right now, when you press tab with ranged weapons, it just picks a target like tab normally would, and then fires at them as if you'd targeted them with f. You can change it to shoot as if you'd used . instead of f all the time, but that's not always what you want either. Obviously, sometimes tab won't produce the optimal behavior, it's there to speed the game up, not play it for you, but there are a lot of straightforward cases where the behavior of tabbing with ranged weapons could be hugely improved.

1. If there is only one enemy in line of fire, fire as if you'd used ., otherwise fire as if you'd used f. Depending on computational complexity, this could be simplified to just use . if there's only one enemy in LOS, or complexified to specifically try to fire in lines that would hit multiple enemies.
  2. Don't fire through a plan if you don't have to. To accompany this point, I provide the following diagram demonstrating a situation that occurred when pressing tab: Image

For this message the author Quazifuji has received thanks:
Cimanyd

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 11th November 2016, 18:32

Re: Improve tabbing with ranged weapons

3. Remove plants
Online Statistics
Road to: Great Ds (6/25): DsFi^Gozag 3 R, DsGl^Qaz 4 R, DsMo^Chei 5 R, {DsHu^Uska 6 R, DsAs^Uska 7 R}, DsAr^Chei 8 R.
In progress: DsWn... Currently out of time. Maybe someday.

Watch my streams here

For this message the author vergil has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 11th November 2016, 18:34

4. fix the bug where autofight with ranged weapons makes you read scrolls

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
nago, stickyfingers, vergil

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 11th November 2016, 19:24

It's not a bug that is exclusive to ranged autofight, though it does seem to happen more often with it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 11th November 2016, 19:33

it is, as far as i know, exclusive to ranged autofight and polearm autofight

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 11th November 2016, 19:37

Well polearms aren't really a ranged weapon ever since throwing spears got removed. Anyway, I can't say 100% that I had it happen with non-polearm melee, but it did happen to me with melee, and I don't use polearms all that much.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 12th November 2016, 01:09

I don't see how the situation required for it to happen could ever arise with non-polearm melee. The bug occurs because ranged/polearm autofight enters targeting mode, in which commands have different meaning than they do in the main interface. Ranged/polearm autofight ends up reading scrolls because 'r' is for reading scrolls in the main interface and 'r' is for centering the cursor on the player in the targeting interface. Ranged/polearm autofight ends up making you move towards monsters because the movement commands move the player in the main interface but move the cursor in the targeting interface.

Non-reaching melee autofight never enters targeting mode or any other screen. It just sends one movement command and that's it.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 12th November 2016, 04:42

Remove Tab

For this message the author TonberryJam has received thanks:
Cimanyd

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 12th November 2016, 11:44

if tab was removed I can guarantee you I would never play crawl again

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 2
Cimanyd, nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 12th November 2016, 19:07

what tab?
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 13th November 2016, 01:02

vergil wrote:3. Remove plants

TonberryJam wrote:Remove Tab

To continue the list of things that could be removed to "solve" the problem in the image:

Remove ranged weapons
remove Siegurt's signature

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 13th November 2016, 11:44

Make tab try to skewer through as many enemies as possible, and end with `.` on the last one, giving you a chance to hit something even if you miss.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 13th November 2016, 12:07

Maybe something akin to granting plants a flag (count as a wall for bow targeting purposes).

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 14th November 2016, 19:42

sooheon wrote:Make tab try to skewer through as many enemies as possible, and end with `.` on the last one, giving you a chance to hit something even if you miss.

Unless the targeted tile would be deep water, in which case use Enter rather than .
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 14th November 2016, 20:12

sooheon wrote:Make tab try to skewer through as many enemies as possible, and end with `.` on the last one, giving you a chance to hit something even if you miss.

This would be the ideal behavior as long as it's fast enough to not cause too much server load when playing online.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 03:17

Better solution: remove the not-super-important-but-technically-optimal-to-plan-for case where missed arrows will fly past the first target and hit a second. When a non-penet projectile hits or misses a target, make it drop to the ground underneath that creature.

Then instead of having to do this annoying micromanagey thing where you always aim *past* your target, you can simply aim at the enemy you want to shoot at without losing out on efficiency.

For this message the author genericpseudonym has received thanks: 2
Cimanyd, duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 03:40

genericpseudonym wrote:Better solution: remove the not-super-important-but-technically-optimal-to-plan-for case where missed arrows will fly past the first target and hit a second. When a non-penet projectile hits or misses a target, make it drop to the ground underneath that creature.

Then instead of having to do this annoying micromanagey thing where you always aim *past* your target, you can simply aim at the enemy you want to shoot at without losing out on efficiency.

As an addional bonus it would be a very slight nerf to ranged weapons.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Return to Game Design Discussion