Why movements of Ancestors of CE/FE/Na/Sp same to others?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 10:08

Why movements of Ancestors of CE/FE/Na/Sp same to others?

CE: Hey, long-forgotten ancestor, where did you leave your two legs behind?

Maybe ancestors HE offers are evolutionary origin species of all playable races.
Korean DCSS player. Want to share the opinions of Korean users with western players, thanks.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/kimnosuk.html

For this message the author kimnosuk has received thanks: 3
chequers, Cimanyd, duvessa

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 10:31

Re: Why movements of Ancestors of CE/FE/Na/Sp same to others

would be too complicated I assume

as a bonus, you can always interpret it as "humans will mate with everything"

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 10:44

Sar wrote:would be too complicated I assume

as a bonus, you can always interpret it as "humans will mate with everything"

B-but I thought you can't fuck the enchantress.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 11:16

Ive never thought DCSS is such a horrible game.
Korean DCSS player. Want to share the opinions of Korean users with western players, thanks.

For this message the author kimnosuk has received thanks:
Sar

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 11:19

back in MY day we didnt have silly crap like "energy" and "auts". We fought turn based, first you swing, and then the werejackal swings - mano a mano. Hey, where the heck are you going? I havent finished telling you about holy water... You think you know wear-IDing? Try waiting 16000 turns for an altar, just to uncurse ONE stack. You don't know the meaning of an ID game. This generation is going straight to Gehennom, I tell ya. No respect for yer goddam elders. Dag nabbit, are you trying to kill me a second time? Slow down lad, before you trip and land on your cockatrice corpse!

For this message the author lethediver has received thanks:
Elitist

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 11:38

PF addressed this issue before:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21177&p=287664

So mostly, it's a desire not to have to differentiate Hep allies by player race.

In any case, since this seems to be mostly a flavour issue...

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:It would be possible to change the flavour away from ancestor to something species independent. Like a guardian angel, imaginary friend, friendly phantasm, first pet or whatever. Then there wouldn't be a strange disconnect between a non-humanoid race and their 'ancestor'.

... would seem to be a solution.

For this message the author DracheReborn has received thanks:
kimnosuk

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 19:27

the flavourful answer is that they've died and transcended concepts such as "physical movement", or "lack of opposable digits"

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 20:37

CanOfWorms wrote:the flavourful answer is that they've died and transcended concepts such as "physical movement", or "lack of opposable digits"

But... But then transcendent Spriggans has become more sluggish one than not-transcendent ones! Maybe they are getting closer to chei?

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 23:21

A proposal: just make all ancestor spirits move at 1.6x speed or whatever it is that spriggans and centaurs go at, then balance them appropriately. This avoids both the "disparsity in speed between races makes the benefits uneven" problem and the "spriggans/centaurs have to slow down for their spirit" problem (which the flavour change proposal doesn't really fix), and does not create new problems that a fluff change proposal might (namely, god's flavour risking becoming blander and/or more forced). It buffs ancestors, but they can be easily rebalanced across the board (and they've got less abuse potential with their speed than a player does with his; i hope they don't do pillar-dancing, and half of the time more speed will simply let them make themselves surrounded and killed a bit faster).

For this message the author Lord Haart has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Implojin

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 7th October 2016, 01:23

kimnosuk wrote:But... But then transcendent Spriggans has become more sluggish one than not-transcendent ones! Maybe they are getting closer to chei?

sure. time is a preoccupation of mortals

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 7th October 2016, 01:42

lethediver wrote:back in MY day we didnt have silly crap like "energy" and "auts". We fought turn based, first you swing, and then the werejackal swings - mano a mano. Hey, where the heck are you going? I havent finished telling you about holy water... You think you know wear-IDing? Try waiting 16000 turns for an altar, just to uncurse ONE stack. You don't know the meaning of an ID game. This generation is going straight to Gehennom, I tell ya. No respect for yer goddam elders. Dag nabbit, are you trying to kill me a second time? Slow down lad, before you trip and land on your cockatrice corpse!

YOUR NAME IS A REFERENCE TO THE GODDAMN LETHE WATER.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner