CIP: unusual SpWr, AC 39!

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 1st October 2016, 23:50

CIP: unusual SpWr, AC 39!

Hello,
this game is something completely different than anything i played before. I'm still fighting to gain my first 3rune victory. Still as Spriggan Warper.
A lucky scroll of acquirement gifted me the +8 shadow dragon armour "Rysmiov" {Regen+ Str+3 Stlth++++} at the Lair time. My experience refers only to light armours, mottled the heavier, more often trolls one or less.
I wanted to try it without any armour skill (had just robe on) for a few fight, and i noticed i was able to fight ANYTHING. The game since then become ridicously easy!!
I espected dodging to fail (but it didnt, maybe high SH helped), not to mention the spell aptitudes completely ruined. But since i cleared lair like a charm, with almost no safe retreats, 2 snake levels too (but mages there were nasty so i decided to retreat) and then.. almost cleared swamp. Ran back when Lernaean came on sight just because of lacking poison resistance against surrounding drakes. I'm tankin anything in depths:2, just worried atm about vamp mages because of the summoned Flayed Ghosts spam.
I'm wondering how easy the game has become since the lucky find, compared to my normal games based on spells. Spriggans are used to be dodgers, but hey till now there was no negative drawback with such an heavy armour, except for spells.

Atm i espect to have easy time on takin both the lair runes (IIRC i found a poison res ring in depths), but i'm worried for next dangers. I pumped 40% armour since then to balance the bad aptitude, i'm not sure if the initial advantage will keep being positive with harder creeps like lichs/draconians/oof ... or what should i switch to. As i said above, i never played an AC tank char.
Ashenzari will help me switchin skills, as for books there was around almost anything awesome on summoning.
Any feedback? Suggestions?
(Edit: also about the weapon, i could enchant that demon whip of flaming to +9, but i should start skillin maces from scratch. Looks good?)

Thanks in advance
Attachments
0110.txt
Spriggan Tank
(27.39 KiB) Downloaded 21 times

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 2nd October 2016, 00:14

Re: CIP: unusual SpWr, AC 39!

i would stop training armour, probably forever. train dodging, fighting. you can use ashenzari's transfer knowledge to train maces and forget transmutations.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 2nd October 2016, 02:18

Ok, stopped armour and pumped *maces *fighting +dodging. My first fully enchanted demon whip :D
Found repel missles so skilled some air lvls.
Meanwhile i cleaned orc:2, elf:1 + elf:2, but elf:3 was too hard with such heavy mages around.
Finally i own swamp and snake runes. Easy job on swamp (i was able to melee Lernae hydra! It was a shockingly good experience!! but he was stronger than me so i had to evoke some of my items, easy task anyway); snake was pretty harder.. not really dangerous but very very long.

Trasmutation looks useless, but ignite poison is my only -and very effective until now- nuke. If i ever remove transmutation levels i think i should recover on force lance.. or not?
Will such an encumbrant char ever be able to cast something hard? Malign gateway is my beloved one and translocations are on the good way, summon forest is yellow at 10% success fully bound in magic.
Or what, throwing maybe?
Attachments
0110.txt
getting heavy
(33.55 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 2nd October 2016, 14:55

EX CIP: unusual SpWr, AC 39!

After a long boring tabbing vaults:1~4; crypt:1~3; and just a peek on tomb:1, i opened a runed door at depths:2 and got blasted by a combination of corrosion + hits + nukes.
RIP

Looks like i got some high aptitude to waste good chars.

It has been a nice new learning experience, tho. Thx angry for the good suggestion, at some point i went back skilling armour and short blades just coz of lucky manuals free train.
Attachments
morgue-0110-20161002-161754.txt
(41.87 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 2nd October 2016, 15:53

by the way it is easier for readers if you use [ code ] tag (without spaces). sorry about the character, good luck next time (and train more stealth)

edit. I hope you were going to transfer knowledge from short blades, it does not make much sense to have them above 14.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 2nd October 2016, 18:00

about pasting: i lack a graphic text editor on linux for easy copypaste.. someday i gotta fix it

about transferring: i'm not sure if i understand it correctly. I thought the transfer is calculated on base skill, so an usual transfer from positive aptitude to negative ones don't gift anything more than the conventional training of the negative and vice-versa (not considering transfer fees, 10% i think).
Do lvls gained with manuals work differently?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 2nd October 2016, 19:44

Scrying might have helped avoid that...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 2nd October 2016, 19:53

neverEnough wrote:about transferring: i'm not sure if i understand it correctly. I thought the transfer is calculated on base skill, so an usual transfer from positive aptitude to negative ones don't gift anything more than the conventional training of the negative and vice-versa (not considering transfer fees, 10% i think).
Do lvls gained with manuals work differently?

there are skill points in the game like there are experience points. you spend those skill points to earn skill levels and that depends on skill aptitudes indeed. yet when transferring knowledge you transfer skill points, not skill levels, so it does not matter what aptitudes those skill to and skill from have, you just always lose 10% of transferred skill points (that's cost of the ability, otherwise you might transfer those skill points indefinitely)

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
neverEnough

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 3rd October 2016, 01:02

Airwolf wrote:Scrying might have helped avoid that...

Indeed i scried when first met the door. Avoided It, crawled around into depths:3, vaults, tomb, and back there. I could've waited longer, at least owning the third rune, but u know, when tab gets pressed >500 times in a row ppl tend to call It "gettin cocky". Or bored as hell >:-/

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 3rd October 2016, 01:14

I guess you might change forum username if 500 tabs is already enough ;)

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 3rd October 2016, 03:10

Argh u made It! Planning next personal tech project: implement tab button into the smartphone!! It will never be enough again!!
I guess It could be emulated by some accelerometer data, like popping the device up and down...
Oh no, its getting dirty O_o

For this message the author neverEnough has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too