Remove piety for corpse sacrifices

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 22nd September 2016, 18:32

Remove piety for corpse sacrifices

Piety for corpse sacrifice remains on one god: Fedhas.

For exactly the same reason as corpse sacrifices have been removed for all other gods, I would suggest we remove it for Fedhas.

Give piety upon killing corpse-generating enemies, with same flavor message. Give piety for killing certain undead (those that can be affected by decomposition).

The piety gain can be calibrated to be equal to amount you'd get on average with sacrifice of corpses. (P)raying with corpses in LOS generates toadstools as currently, for use in other abilities, but does not give piety.

This keeps Fedhas's use of corpses that is potentially interesting, while removing the annoyance that comes with sacrificing all corpses and generating toadstools when you don't actually want to use them for anything.

Decomposition caused by praying should still affect certain undead, but you should not be required to use it on susceptible undead in order to get piety.

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 9
all before, Arrhythmia, Cimanyd, dolemite99, duvessa, tedric, VeryAngryFelid, ydeve, yesno

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 22nd September 2016, 18:43

Re: Remove piety for corpse sacrifices

Another related FR: Praying should create toadstools out of corpses that one of your existing mushroom allies is already standing on. Unless I am just doing it wrong, I always have to tell the mushrooms to follow or retreat, so they can reveal the corpses they are standing on, so I can pray and convert the corpses to toadstools. It is not quite as tedious as old Beogh, where you had to micromanage your posse to get them up and down stairs with you, but it is close to that level of tedium. :-/. Also please add "Recall Mushroom Followers" as an active ability. If Hep, Beogh and Yred all have buttons allowing you to air-drop allies around yourself, Fedhas should have it too.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 22nd September 2016, 18:49

Enemies should just automatically rot into toadstools after a few turns as Fedhas.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 22nd September 2016, 19:25

Shard1697 wrote:Enemies should just automatically rot into toadstools after a few turns as Fedhas.

This seems like it would be more annoying than just hitting p though when you actually want the toadstools. It would also cause a ton of clutter on screen when you don't want the toadstools. I don't think it works well as a passive.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 22nd September 2016, 19:30

Just have Fedhas give the same piety for corpses rotting away normally that he would for sacrificing them. I guess maybe it's hard to handle corpses on other levels?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 22nd September 2016, 19:35

Well, every corpse will rot eventually. Except for those you eat, but let's pretend at some point they will be converted into... fertilizer, so to speak.

I mean, as long as I can press p and turn a bunch of corpses into shrooms I don't care if I don't actually have to do so after every fight.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 23rd September 2016, 19:46

duvessa wrote:Just have Fedhas give the same piety for corpses rotting away normally that he would for sacrificing them. I guess maybe it's hard to handle corpses on other levels?

yeah, i have a branch that does this, but other levels are the problem. i guess maybe you could do something like jiyva's off-level item-eating excursions?

or just auto-rot all corpses when changing levels (under fedhas). i feel like there was some problem with that idea but i don't remember what

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 24th September 2016, 11:05

and into wrote:
Shard1697 wrote:Enemies should just automatically rot into toadstools after a few turns as Fedhas.

This seems like it would be more annoying than just hitting p though when you actually want the toadstools. It would also cause a ton of clutter on screen when you don't want the toadstools. I don't think it works well as a passive.

Perhaps a combination of both? If you don't press "p", they will naturally generate toadstools after a good many turns, so screen clutter will be less likely. If you need them right now, you could press "p" to make the process instantaneous. In any case, piety gain should be automatic after monster death. But I kinda like the toadstools, they make it thematic.
make food great again

Return to Game Design Discussion