Demystify Invocations

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 6th September 2016, 19:22

Demystify Invocations

Can we give Invoked abilities (regardless of skill used) a power bar to indicate how powerful they currently are compared to max, similar to the spellpower bar? And clearly state what decides the power of an invocation? (I'm saying this specifically because it would help NEW players and players that are new to a particular god know how much Invo they want to train MUCH better than the current state of affairs.) The previous "Oklob Size" thread is a subdivision of this problem; as is the semi-common misconception that Invo affects the power of Slouch, instead of merely the failure rate.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks: 25
and into, Brannock, duvessa, mopl, nago, Quazifuji, Sar, Shard1697, Sprucery, tedric and 15 more users

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 10th September 2016, 09:05

Re: Demystify Invocations

I've got 20 wins or so, and I'm pretty sure 90% of the time I've got no idea how anything scales with invocations and just train it until the abilities I want have low failure rates. I know Qazlal and Elyvion go well with more invocations than that. I think I've heard Uskayaw does too? Maybe others? I've got no idea.

In other words, yes, 100%, it is very opaque right now how invocations affects different spells. This is true of spellpower in some cases too (I wonder how long it takes most players to learn that spellpower only affects the duration of cloud spells and not the damage), but it's an especially big problem with invocations.

For this message the author Quazifuji has received thanks:
Lord Haart

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 10th September 2016, 09:14

Yeah, like with Lugonu, Banishment maxes at about 10.7 Invo IIRC but Corrupt gets more effective upto at least 22 (I forgot if it still gets in some way better after that)...
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 10th September 2016, 09:20

Some are very unclear about how they work: slouch damage is due to speed difference, but what changes the duration aspect of other Chei effects, or increases the chance of bend time to affect monsters? Speed, Invo, something else, nothing at all?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 10th September 2016, 10:23

Sprucery wrote:Yeah, like with Lugonu, Banishment maxes at about 10.7 Invo IIRC but Corrupt gets more effective upto at least 22 (I forgot if it still gets in some way better after that)...

Banishment's formula has been recently changed, there's no more a cap
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks:
Sprucery

Return to Game Design Discussion