Benefits of useless resists

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 14:25

Benefits of useless resists

My current character got rN+++++ after Orc and I feel bad about it being useless so here are some ideas.

Every extra resist after max does the following:

For melee:
  • rF+ gives 3% chance to apply sticky flame while using weapon of flaming
  • rC+ gives 1% chance to stun monsters without rC+ (they lose current energy) while using weapon of freezing
  • rN+ gives extra 5% to trigger vampirism while using vampiric weapon (it is 50% currently as far as I remember, with rN++++++ it will be 65%), gives extra 5% to trigger draining while using weapon of draining (50% currently)
  • rElec gives extra 5% to trigger electrocution while using weapon of electrocution (33% currently, with 2 items which have rElec it will be 38%)
  • rPois gives extra 5% chance to apply poison while using venom weapon (75% currently assuming wiki is correct).
  • rCorr gives 1% chance to apply corrosion to hit monster while using vorpal weapon (the 1% becomes 5% if using any *Corrode item (not necessarily a weapon, can be jewelry or armour also))

For spells:
  • rF+ increases spell power of fire spells by 10%
  • rC+ increases spell power of ice spells by 10%
  • rN+ increases spell power of necromancy spells by 10%
  • rElec increases spell power of air spells by 10%
  • rPois increases spell power of poison spells by 10%
  • rCorr gives 1% chance to save a charge when evoking wands

All spell power increases are before stepdown of course, similar to archmagi which gives 50%.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks: 2
ololoev, Sprucery

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 15:09

Re: Benefits of useless resists

Should've removed these resistances a long time ago to head off this kind of thing.
The Original Discourse Respecter

For this message the author goodcoolguy has received thanks: 3
duvessa, nago, ydeve

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 15:11

All resists are useless yo!

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 15:25

I don't think Diabloization of item properties in Crawl would be a good idea. In theory it creates interesting possibilities for equipment, in practice you increase cognitive load and clutter and still do not care about ~80% of the bells and whistles most of the time.

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 4
nago, PleasingFungus, Rast, VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 15:33

and into wrote:I don't think Diabloization of item properties in Crawl would be a good idea. In theory it creates interesting possibilities for equipment, in practice you increase cognitive load and clutter and still do not care about ~80% of the bells and whistles most of the time.

There could be a message like "As you equip fire dragon armour you feel you get ability to stickyflame monsters with flaming weapons and you can cast fire spell with more power" so there is no need for any spoilers.

Some of the combos are easy to get. GrVM can use all rPois items to enhance spells, I found whip of draining and rN+ item before D6 on mummy etc.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 16:21

The benefit of useless resists is making randarts look Cool as Heck. That's enough for me.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 20:12

How about this, instead. With additional levels of resistance:

- rF+: You can remove items from the oven with your bare hands but you have trouble getting a fire going using matches or a lighter.
- rC+: You don't feel the cold like other people. You wear shorts even in winter. You swim in the sea without a wetsuit.
- rN+: Additional pips make you resistant to criticism, slander, and obloquy, respectively
- rElec: Gives the ability to emit an effect, similar to an electromagnetic pulse, that variously disables (again, with each additional pip) electronic, electric, and clockwork devices. Take that, Nikola!
- rCorr: Player's belongings don't get rusty even when left out in the rain and not put away neatly when you're done with them.
- rPois: Equivalent to increasing levels of alcohol tolerance, making the player into a very expensive date. (N.b. that the effect does not give resistance to Alastair's intoxication and does not offer a Clarity-like effect: it applies only to imbibed alcohol.)

For this message the author Nebuchadnezzar has received thanks: 7
amalloy, Lord Haart, nago, PleasingFungus, runewalsh, Sar, ydeve

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 23:13

Nebuchadnezzar wrote:- rPois: Equivalent to increasing levels of alcohol tolerance, making the player into a very expensive date. (N.b. that the effect does not give resistance to Alastair's intoxication and does not offer a Clarity-like effect: it applies only to imbibed alcohol.)
oh man, this reminds me of a story minmay told me. back in middle school, he was hanging out with terence, edmund, and maurice, and they'd stolen some booze from edmund's dad and were drinking it behind the dumpster at a mcdonald's. and eventually terence stood up and pulled a butterfly knife out of his hoodie and said he was going to do a cool trick with it. and minmay was thinking "he's really drunk and is going to hurt himself, i need to stop him but i don't want to get stabbed". so he headbutted terence in the balls, really hard, and terence puked all over.
so yeah, I don't think I'm missing a lot by not getting any buzz from alcohol. let me tell you though, I really should've looked up the effects of THC on elves before i tried marijuana for the first time

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 23:52

reminds me of when a kid at my dumb tiny charter highschool accidentally cut his hand way open with an exacto knife and had to get rushed to the hospital because of how much he was bleeding

same highschool where a teacher got caught smoking weed with a student and then later she left and moved to Peru

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 23:59

You know, THIS is silly, but as a god. Like God prevents you getting resists and gives you Slay-type bonuses instead of resists...it could work. It could even manage to be Uskayaw-level broken if done right. (Heavy, Heavy slaying; but no defenses).
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 8th September 2016, 00:12

Also I forgot about MR+, sometimes you are wearing items with MR+++++ while being XL 21 Mu.

Extra MR+ should give 1% chance to work as antimagic brand with any weapon (in addition to normal weapon brand).

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 8th September 2016, 11:28

Extra pips of MR:
+: You are never caught out by the three-card trick
++: You know how David Blaine does all his schtick and aren't impressed
+++: You are an expert at the three-card trick. Set up a stall in the Orcish Mines and fleece those dumb orcs for all they've got!

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 8th September 2016, 12:02

duvessa wrote:
Nebuchadnezzar wrote:- rPois: Equivalent to increasing levels of alcohol tolerance, making the player into a very expensive date. (N.b. that the effect does not give resistance to Alastair's intoxication and does not offer a Clarity-like effect: it applies only to imbibed alcohol.)
oh man, this reminds me of a story minmay told me. back in middle school, he was hanging out with terence, edmund, and maurice, and they'd stolen some booze from edmund's dad and were drinking it behind the dumpster at a mcdonald's. and eventually terence stood up and pulled a butterfly knife out of his hoodie and said he was going to do a cool trick with it. and minmay was thinking "he's really drunk and is going to hurt himself, i need to stop him but i don't want to get stabbed". so he headbutted terence in the balls, really hard, and terence puked all over.
so yeah, I don't think I'm missing a lot by not getting any buzz from alcohol. let me tell you though, I really should've looked up the effects of THC on elves before i tried marijuana for the first time

Wow, this is the first time Mulholland Drive has made sense to me.
The Original Discourse Respecter

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 8th September 2016, 12:50

duvessa wrote:and eventually terence stood up and pulled a butterfly knife out of his hoodie and said he was going to do a cool trick with it. and minmay was thinking "he's really drunk and is going to hurt himself, i need to stop him but i don't want to get stabbed". so he headbutted terence in the balls, really hard, and terence puked all over

Damn this reminds me so much of my university days.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner