Enchanters should be renamed.

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 01:30

Enchanters should be renamed.

Enchanters have a spell book that is all hexes with the exception of sure blade. Furthermore, Enchanters are based around stabbing. The class needs a name change the describes what the class does. One suggestion is Enchanter -> Stalker, Stalker -> Assassin, and delete the current Assassin class.

Another name suggestions:
Hexer
Trickster

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 02:32

Re: Enchanters should be renamed.

Hexchanter.

@minmay, statistics shouldn't be that much of a problem... just go through the stat db and replace "enchanter" with "hexchanter".
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 02:55

ryzol wrote:One suggestion is Enchanter -> Stalker, Stalker -> Assassin, and delete the current Assassin class.

what

Edit:
Sorry for the excessive terseness. I just found it amusing that you think it's a possibility to remove Assassins so that you can rename Enchanters. Is renaming Enchanters so important that we have to sacrifice a whole background for it?

Leaving that aside: "Rename Enchanters" is a thread that comes up every month or so, but nobody seems to be able to come up with a new name that is even half as decent. I'm not a mod or anything, but I think Enchanter is a fine name as it is. Although it's associated with the old Enchantments school, the word also carries connotations of putting something/someone under a spell to delude or trick them, which is after all what Hexes are all about.

For this message the author ElectricAlbatross has received thanks:
ryzol

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 06:52

minmay wrote:When Crusader became Skald, it wasn't just the name that changed. The background got a new spell set with a very different gameplay.

Renaming a background without changing the background itself not only confuses people but it seriously messes up statistics.

This is a good point and not something I thought about. When the Hexes change goes through the Enchanter starting book might need tweaking, which could be the time to change their name. With that said another Enchanter name possibility is Mesmer.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 08:27

The name is fine. Also we don't shuffle names around, that would only bring lots of confusion.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 15:10

I fail to see how it would be lots of confusion. People who know and love the game arent going to be 'confused' and new players arent going to know what any of the names mean unless they look it up. More like it would be more work to update the wiki and learndb and help docs.

Regardless, since there's no enchantments school I think the name is fine. It may connotate certain things to us who have been playing long enough, but to a fresh new player there's no reason why an Enchanter having stabby gameplay wouldnt be perfectly reasonable.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 18:42

Hushed wrote:I fail to see how it would be lots of confusion. People who know and love the game arent going to be 'confused' and new players arent going to know what any of the names mean unless they look it up. More like it would be more work to update the wiki and learndb and help docs.

A prompt wiki update after every new version sounds good in theory, but in practice, it will be a longer time before all mentions to the previous names are found and revised, or labeled as obsolete. Each such incorrect reference is a land mine of confusion just waiting to explode on a hapless newbie trying to learn how to play his character.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 19:08

Just rename it to Stabamancer. It's accurate, as they cast spells and then stab things.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Return to Game Design Discussion