Turns and AUT?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 30th August 2016, 15:11

Turns and AUT?

I am entirely sorry if what I'm about to ask about is already answered somewhere, but I have tried my best to look it up,
and I apologise if I am wording this very poorly...

As I understand it. Someone using a dagger at 0.5 attack delay gets to attack twice before the enemy can attack them and that's simple enough to follow.
However, if it's possible for the player character and monster to attack each other at the same time, who gets their hit in first?
And if the time is currently a fraction of a whole turn, who attacks first if a monster sees you and what is it dependent on?
Lastly is it possible to turn a corner, see an enemy and be attacked before you have the chance to react?

Thank you for your time.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 30th August 2016, 15:25

Re: Turns and AUT?

The player and the environment take turns acting, there isn't a "simultaneous" action possible.

The nitty gritty of it pretty much works like this, every time you do something (walk, attack, read a scroll etc) when that action completes, the amount of time it took gets added to an energy pool for every critter. Then the game goes through the environment, checking for stuff like clouds and durations, then for each critter, if the critter's energy pool is full enough it will take an action and reduce it's pool by that amount.

So, every time you take a step, attack or what have you, every critter might respond, including when you step around a corner.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 30th August 2016, 16:14

leonardwolfe wrote:Lastly is it possible to turn a corner, see an enemy and be attacked before you have the chance to react?

Yes.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 30th August 2016, 16:54

Thank you for your responses, they have been helpful.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 30th August 2016, 17:17

Another question has just occurred: sorry.

If it's the case as Siegurt suggests that player character and enemy have an energy pool and they only take their turn when the pool if full.
Do all enemies start with their turn ready as soon as you come into view...? Except I know this isn't the case because you can encounter an enemy and act before they do.
But why is this if you've already taken your turn coming into their view?
I'm just trying to understand the turn mechanic a bit better even if the original question has been answered

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 30th August 2016, 20:29

Stealth. They don't always notice you the moment you enter their view.

Also, they make their own movements as you do, even if you don't see them. Only when you go down a staircase for the first time are monsters generated (and out-of-sight over time, I suppose.)
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2016, 07:38

Also *you* don't have an energy bar, your actions *give* energy to all the critters on the level.

The very first time a level is generated, (when you arrive for the first time) monsters start with no energy, you always get the first turn.

Even sleeping monsters use "energy" to sleep. (Energy is not a very good name for it, it is more like "accumulated time", but that is neither here nor there)

Also the amount of energy used by a monster's movement actions are slightly randomized (+/- 1) so a monster may occasionally not get a move, or get a double move (or move plus attack) even though they are the same speed as you are.

Also when you arrive at a level again, there is some shortcuts taken for the actions that happened while you were gone, more or less the results of which are monsters may have moved away from the stairs, and will start with a psudo random amount of energy.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice