Rename Fire Storm Conflagration

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 4th September 2011, 15:02

Rename Fire Storm Conflagration

I'm of the opinion that DCSS suffers from genericness. So as just a purely cosmetic idea changing the name would make the spell sound less generic.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 4th September 2011, 15:17

Re: Rename Fire Storm Conflagration

Smite Storm!

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 4th September 2011, 15:24

Inferno!
(I dont mind fire storm really)

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 4th September 2011, 22:32

Actually, it would be cool to have the storm spells follow Tornado in having a single-word name. Inferno is a good one. Can't think of a good replacement for Ice Storm off of the top of my head, though—maybe that one can stay.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 4th September 2011, 22:40

Blizzard?

But I think that as long as the mechanics are so similar, the spell names should be, too. (Of course, the similarity in itself is not a good thing.)

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 00:10

How about changing ice storm to the shotgun mechanic proposed for bolt of magma (bolt of magma can change too of course)? Avalanche might be a nice name for something like that. I'm imagining something like a shotgun version of throw icicle, with a huge amount of icy shrapnel blasting the enemies, spreading in a cone (only pierces if it kills the enemy). This would also fit well with the now-shorter range of ice magic.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 01:06

I don't think the spells should be renamed, but if they are the new names should be clearer than the old ones. For fire storm and ice storm, this should reflect the fact that the spells do a lot of instant damage, with the damage-over-time component being a nice bonus. The spells are more like "explosions" than "storms".

Galefury wrote:How about changing ice storm to the shotgun mechanic proposed for bolt of magma (bolt of magma can change too of course)? Avalanche might be a nice name for something like that. I'm imagining something like a shotgun version of throw icicle, with a huge amount of icy shrapnel blasting the enemies, spreading in a cone (only pierces if it kills the enemy). This would also fit well with the now-shorter range of ice magic.

Ice storm is already a much shorter range. Aside from not being able to aim it as far, it also lacks smite targeting, which means you're often restricted to hitting whatever is closer to you.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 09:28

Galefury wrote:How about changing ice storm to the shotgun mechanic proposed for bolt of magma (bolt of magma can change too of course)? Avalanche might be a nice name for something like that. I'm imagining something like a shotgun version of throw icicle, with a huge amount of icy shrapnel blasting the enemies, spreading in a cone (only pierces if it kills the enemy). This would also fit well with the now-shorter range of ice magic.

That sounds more like "Hail". Sounds fun, but I don't see how it could be a Level 9 spell.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 11:00

With great damage and area of effect comes great level. How can Ice Storm be level 9, it's just a bigger fireball that does cold damage? Something like 1.3 times Ice storm damage in melee, 1/3 to 1/2 Ice Storm damage at max range, and a fairly wide spread (3 tiles affected at range 1, 10 at the edge of LOS). I think it could be very fun, either taking out a horde of popcorn at range (pierce on kill ==> even huge amounts of popcorn are simply obliterated unless shielded by stronger enemies) and taking out big threats at short range. Maybe a pushback effect could also be nice, you're throwing an avalanche at enemies after all. If I had the time I would definitely consider coding this just to see if it is as fun as I imagine, but unfortunately I don't have it right now.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 14:04

Wow. I just wanted to make the game a little more colorful and less generic, but I'll settle for a badass throw an avalanche at your enemies idea. :D

Return to Game Design Discussion