God of doors

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 27th August 2011, 18:44

God of doors

Here I come up with a new idea for a god (name not decided) to see how appealing is and if it deserves to be put on the wiki after comments.

The god is the the deity of transitions and new beginnings, the guardian of doorways and stairs. It is revered as a protector of those brave and curious souls who want to cross doors, portals or stairs to discover what is on the other side.

It is a benefactor divinity not oriented towards violence but towards defense and escape. Its followers are expected to gain protection and abilities to move into the dungeon.

The piety is based on specific exploration. It likes when you leave doors opened, the first time you go through stairs or portals and when you use shafts or dungeon hatches. Closed doors are frowned upon and decrease the piety (therefore there is no abuse to gain piety). Also it is forbidden to desecrate doors, portals or stairs killing anything in their position.

The piety gain order from lower to higher is: close door (negative), let a portal disappear (negative), leave shop (0), enter shop, cross return portal, open door, ascend stair, descend stair, descend stair branch, cross portal, use ceiling hatch, use shaft/floor hatch.

Granted powers:

* Create gate: Let's you create a temporal door in an adjacent wall. This door does not increases/decreases piety by opening/closing.

** (passive ability) You are shielded in some degree while staying in a door or stair location

*** Glorious walk: You swap places with every creature while you continue in motion, despite they remain hostile to you. The walk is stopped when you spend more than one turn in the same place or there are no enemies in sight.

**** Detect transitions: You detect the portals and stairs in the map. In the Abyss this increases the chances of finding a portal generating it closer to you than previously was.

***** Divine path: You can pass through every kind of terrain while going in the same direction. Beings swap to your previous position. Items are not picked while in motion.

****** Teleport self: The recent removed spell.

Feedback welcome!
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 09:01

Re: God of doors

I really like the theme of this, it's different enough to the other Gods to provide something new and interesting.

I'm wondering if the piety gain mechanics are perhaps over-complicated (and definitely abusable in Pan). Perhaps a lot of them could be simplified to "Enter new level". Otherwise it's encouraging all kinds of scummy (and repetitive) behaviour, like making sure you use every single shaft / hatch in the game. Pan is still an issue though. Still, open/close door as +/- piety is nice (maybe closing a door should lose slightly more piety than opening one grants).

The powers are all pretty interesting too. Just some comments;

- Glorious walk should have a turn limit, otherwise you could keep going forever
- Detect transitions is very similar to Ash's "Portal Detection". Perhaps just passive stair detection instead (which as far as I know Ash doesn't do). Secret doors would be nice, but that's also something Ash does (with Detect Traps).
- Divine Path is very overpowered and there are certain types of terrain that are simply not meant to be crossable for game-breaking reaons, for instance it'd be way too easy to just waltz in, grab the rune, and waltz out again! It would have to have serious consequences to the ability to avoid breaking things.
- Teleport Self is still available from the ring and scroll, maybe to make the God more interesting something more actually door-themed would be better as a high-piety ability. I can't really think of anything though that wouldn't have similar overpowerment issues as above!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 11:12

mumra wrote:- Teleport Self is still available from the ring and scroll, maybe to make the God more interesting something more actually door-themed would be better as a high-piety ability. I can't really think of anything though that wouldn't have similar overpowerment issues as above!

How about:
- Door to Anywhere: Use while standing in an open doorway, you can teleport to any open doorway on the level that you've already been through. Alternatively, use it on an up or down stair, and you can choose to go to any level in that direction that you've already been to.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 11:20

nicolae wrote:How about:
- Door to Anywhere: Use while standing in an open doorway, you can teleport to any open doorway on the level that you've already been through. Alternatively, use it on an up or down stair, and you can choose to go to any level in that direction that you've already been to.

That's pretty good, although the up/down stair part would trivialise the Orb Run! However just being able to teleport between open doorways sounds useful and interesting but not massively abusable (no doors on Zot:5, and only applying to doors you've already opened).

Edit: Actually thinking about it some more, it is probably overpowered, unless the teleport takes a few turns, or comes with a huge piety/hunger cost. And remember it would stack with the other ability of being protected whilst in doorways...

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 11:48

Some more thoughts about piety gain;

There are some problems with gaining piety by opening doors and exploring stairs/portals:

a) It's free piety for what amounts to normal activity for entirely all players (God conducts should make the player have to act differently, i.e. make life harder for them in an interesting way - best example is Ashenzari)
b) It encourages the slightly tedious gaming of making sure you open every single door on every level (not very interesting!)

But I had an idea that could slightly improve this. What if the God rewards piety for opening doors or exploring stairs as soon as possible after you see them? This would mean that every time you see a doorway, staircase, hatch, etc., you have to actually make the decision of whether to rush for the door to get maximum piety gain, take it more slowly and get only a little bit of piety, or wait/rest/heal and lose all the piety. Maximum piety would be from using the feature the turn immediately after you've seen it; this could only happen when you've fallen thru a shaft and landed right next to a door, or randomly teleported right next to a door, that kind of thing. You could quite often open a door in two turns with cBlink and then open. If you have speed buffs available you might want to use them. Suddenly there are decisions to be made! What happens if two doors enter LOS at once - what's the quickest route to open both, and how dangerous will that be if both contain monsters? What if in opening a door, another is revealed - do you also open that straight away?

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 12:57

Plenty of Gods out there requiring normal activity (killing stuff). And while opening every single door might be tedious it can play into the hunger game if you are playing a class that has issues with this... albeit, it is a rather small factor, but one to consider nonetheless. Plus, monsters can open doors too, so you'd have to beat them to the doors - Doesn't happen a lot, but I still find plenty of open doors in my explorations.

It is a pretty cool idea though ;)
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 13:26

It's free piety for what amounts to normal activity for entirely all players

Well, killing stuff or training spellcasting is a normal activity in Crawl indeed. I have move on exploration-based piety which is also normal activity however.

I like your proposals, thanks. In fact I don't know really much about the deepest branches so I cannot figure out how abusable the piety mechanism or how OP the powers can be.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 14:10

Roderic wrote:Well, killing stuff or training spellcasting is a normal activity in Crawl indeed. I have move on exploration-based piety which is also normal activity however.

Yeah, I know there are some existing Gods that it's not true for - but I'm only echoing comments by the devs to a God proposal I made.

The thing is, killing stuff and training magic skills aren't free - they require combat, or require you to choose magic over fighting for instance. Some players take the stealth approach and try not to kill things, and run away instead. You can run away and still open a ton of doors along the way though.

Also I think all the Gods with more basic conducts have been there since the early days, they're kind of the staples. As new Gods are added they need to be somewhat more interesting to differentiate them and create new playstyles. At least, that's the impression I get.

Roderic wrote:I like your proposals, thanks. In fact I don't know really much about the deepest branches so I cannot figure out how abusable the piety mechanism or how OP the powers can be.

Regarding Pan - basically its an infinite series of levels, each time you go through a portal a new level is generated and the old one is lost forever. So you could just keep going through portal after portal (although this has risks as any portal can potentially drop you right in the middle of a really serious situation; and by that stage you are likely to be at pretty high piety anyway; so maybe it's not so bad and I'm pretty sure with my modified idea of a LOS timer the abusability is negligible).

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 14:21

I was skeptical at first, but this god has a lot of appeal. I can definitely see it going into the game.

Disclaimer: whenever this discussion dies, one of us should take care to move the proposal to the wiki. I'll try to do this, but sometimes I just forget. So whoever has interest in the door god, please try to think of this, too.

Some comments on the original proposal:

You cannot give piety for both descending and ascending stairs. Thematically it seems best to give piety for the first use of a staircase, regardless of the direction (and we already conveniently label the used-ness of stairs).

Create gate is doubtful. The idea is to get a tactical advantage by fighting in a door case. However, setting up a door in a corridor you're fighting in will get old fast. Why not dispense with this ability and let the player choose whether the prefers the locations of the doors that are? This has the advantage that the unnatural rule of "the created doors have no impact on piety" can go just as well. (See below for a refined take on this one.)

There is a drawback to the second ability (shielding inside doors): players could be tempted to lure monsters across the level to fight in their preferred door. This can be nicely averted by making the shielding for each door a finite amount. At some point (probably rather quickly), a door is used up.

Glorious walk: interesting idea, but how can it end with the player having no monsters in sight? If I understand correctly, it will always end with the player next to a monster. Is the ability meant to be active or passive?

I assume that the detection power is passive. It should also give away all shafts.

The last two powers are too strong (Divine Path) or too weak (Teleport Self). Both could be repaired (e.g. Teleport Self could have a shorter delay) but I have hope that discussion here will reveal some other, more thematic powers.

Now some comments on the replies:

Teleporting among doors is good. I think that doors should be used up by this action, as indicated above. This way, doors become a limited, valuable resource to the follower.

Regarding piety gain: Door opening is not a problem, as you're autoexploring through the whole level anyway. We would have to make sure that autoexplore stops with a closed door in sight. It wouldn't be very tedious -- we could even make it part of autoexplore.
mumra has two good ideas regarding piety gain: Just gaining piety for entering new levels is very elegant but throws away most of the flavour. The idea of doors giving piety for how fast you open door them is great. (I don't know about you, but I often leave doors closed on purpose. This would be different with this god.) I agree that this piety rule should also apply to staircases. Of course, you cannot use every staircase as soon as you see it -- you'll have to make decisions.

We could use more ideas for powers, I am throwing them out at random:

Door Reduction: This can be used to make the big gateways (several doors in a row) smaller; for a single door it would replace the door by wall (perhaps translucent?). High piety cost -- this is like locking a door. Not something the door god would like, but as the ultimata ration you can indeed lock a door.

Restore Door: unlike the original door creation power, this one would only work where a door would naturally fit:
  Code:
......       ......
xxx.xx ====> xxx+xx  works
......       ......

......       ......
xx..xx ====> xx++xx  works, at higher piety cost
......       ......

...x..       ...x..
xx..xx ====> xx++xx  does not work
......       ......

We have the old problems with the other powers, so such such doors would be used up from the start.

But I hope there are better proposals out there.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 15:00

dpeg wrote:Create gate is doubtful. The idea is to get a tactical advantage by fighting in a door case. However, setting up a door in a corridor you're fighting in will get old fast. Why not dispense with this ability and let the player choose whether the prefers the locations of the doors that are? This has the advantage that the unnatural rule of "the created doors have no impact on piety" can go just as well. (See below for a refined take on this one.)

I think the idea was also to create permanent passages through walls - a one-tile dig that can also have tactical uses (and synergise with other abilities). If it had a piety + food cost then it couldn't be used for every single battle.

dpeg wrote:There is a drawback to the second ability (shielding inside doors): players could be tempted to lure monsters across the level to fight in their preferred door. This can be nicely averted by making the shielding for each door a finite amount. At some point (probably rather quickly), a door is used up.

Players already lure monsters into tactical positions (e.g. corridors, deep water for swimmers, etc.). I do like the idea of being able to use a door as a situational shield. Flavour-wise, this could gradually destroy the door, maybe with warnings like "The door has nearly been hacked into wood chippings!" / "The door is about to fall off its hinges!" and so on (of course you'd lose piety if you allow the door to be destroyed...)

dpeg wrote:I assume that the detection power is passive. It should also give away all shafts.

Perhaps it should be active - if piety was to be for using doors etc. quickly, then detection should also trigger that timer. So it should be a choice whether to lose that piety across a whole level. Could be interesting (and more thematic) if it also detected doors (including secret ones), perhaps within a certain range; it'd give you limited information about the layout of a level, without giving away too much.

dpeg wrote:Teleporting among doors is good. I think that doors should be used up by this action, as indicated above. This way, doors become a limited, valuable resource to the follower.

That definitely makes it somewhat less overpowered - and obviously any action that removes doors should have a high piety cost! It would synergise with Restore Door / Create Gate by letting you create teleport points (and yes Create Gate would become probably way too powerful alongside this, although Restore Door could still be abused on most levels, e.g. Zot:5).

dpeg wrote:The idea of doors giving piety for how fast you open door them is great. (I don't know about you, but I often leave doors closed on purpose. This would be different with this god.) I agree that this piety rule should also apply to staircases. Of course, you cannot use every staircase as soon as you see it -- you'll have to make decisions.

That was my thought - pushing you towards taking action where you otherwise might prepare or rest and heal - it adds tension and quick decisions that could land you in trouble.

dpeg wrote:Door Reduction: This can be used to make the big gateways (several doors in a row) smaller; for a single door it would replace the door by wall (perhaps translucent?). High piety cost -- this is like locking a door. Not something the door god would like, but as the ultimata ration you can indeed lock a door.

As a toned down version of this, how about "Seal Door" - seals a door shut (with some Godly sticky goop) which then takes enemies a few turns to open - just enough to give yourself a few tiles distance, without actually permanently blocking off parts of the map.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 18:25

Seal Door is good.

I agree that having a piety bonus for quickly using doors/stairs conflicts with passive detection. But I can tell you that an active detection power that costs piety is problematic: players have generally no idea when it's good to use the power. We have to come up with something better.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 19:39

Seal door is what I was going to propose. Thanks :)

Another issue I can't figure out now is some curse when renouncing .. hmm what about impossibility to teleport ?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 19:53

The teleportation between doors, maybe it can also function with staircases in a more limited fashion than suggested. When going down the stairs persay, if you use the ability on the down staircase, you get to pick which up staircase you come out of. Monsters will still try to follow you down stairs, but will appear around the "correct" up staircase while you could pop out on the other two. It'd make for a good escape ability, but you'd only be able to do it a couple of times before monsters would be following you down anyway.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 20:25

Roderic wrote:Seal door is what I was going to propose. Thanks :)

Another issue I can't figure out now is some curse when renouncing .. hmm what about impossibility to teleport ?

Restricting teleport sounds way too harsh - but you could have doors randomly sticking when you try to open them, strong winds blowing you back up or down staircases, that kind of thing.

TwilightPhoenix wrote:The teleportation between doors, maybe it can also function with staircases in a more limited fashion than suggested. When going down the stairs persay, if you use the ability on the down staircase, you get to pick which up staircase you come out of. Monsters will still try to follow you down stairs, but will appear around the "correct" up staircase while you could pop out on the other two. It'd make for a good escape ability, but you'd only be able to do it a couple of times before monsters would be following you down anyway.

Also quite interesting, but perhaps we don't want too many escape options provided by a God who is supposed to be about bravely exploring new worlds (not running away from them!) :)

Ended up discussing this on ##crawl-dev and a few ideas came up so I'll summarise them before they're lost/forgotten:

Revolving Door - allows you to move through a door to the opposite tile without actually opening it (problem: a similar escape option to Seal Door)
Open Grate - could be useful as more grate traps are vaults are added - I'm not aware of any instances where this would be game-breaking
Detect Mimics - at least, door/stair/portal mimics
Friendly Door - turns a door into a pet (dpeg pointed out there are too many Gods already that grant pets)
Voracious Door (ais523) - a stationary door that only attacked monsters walking through it (more like conjure flame than a summons)
Summon Mimic (dtsund) - similar

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 21:11

Intriguing idea. For a wrath idea, we could copy from Xom and have stairs occasionally avoid you. Something else that hasn't been suggested yet are portal vaults - I could see this god slowing (or aiding, in the case of wrath) the destruction of said entrance gates, i.e. slow or speed up the timers.

Also, just in case this god ends up being extended to some kind of god of dungeon architecture, I'd like to bring up the old proposal of an expensive invocation that drops a block of stone on an adjacent monster, doing lots of damage and, if killing it, burying its corpse and equipment in the process.
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 30th August 2011, 06:03

This god idea pretty interesting, some random ideas thrown out randomly :

* Invocation used while in a doorframe or on a staircase/hatch that protect you somewhat from harm + doesn't let monsters follow you throught it for 10-20 turns (great escape option, chance based on piety, uses up the power of the door/staircase, thus each door/staircase can only be used once for that purpose)

* The God really dislikes it when a door gets destroyed (you gonna have to kill those Jellies, or not wake them up)

* Could be turned into into a god of Traps and Doors perhaps ?
With ability to create traps as invocations (Piety + Food Cost, Piety Cost goes up with the quality of the trap), Likes it when monsters die due to a trap, Dislikes you or your allies getting harmed by known traps, Hates it when you disarm a trap.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 30th August 2011, 08:15

mumra wrote:Also quite interesting, but perhaps we don't want too many escape options provided by a God who is supposed to be about bravely exploring new worlds (not running away from them!) :)

Well, if your god compels you to explore strange new worlds, sometimes those strange new worlds are dangerous, and you'll need a way to get out.

Some more ideas:
Peephole: Passive ability. All doors are transparent to you even when closed.

Bursting Door: Open a door with concussive force, damaging and knocking back monsters who are standing near it on the other side. Has a chance to break the door.

Threshold of Change: Every door is a chance at a new beginning, a chance at rejecting your old self and starting anew. Devotees of this god know this is not just a metaphor. When activated, this power persists for a time. Every door a devotee passes through while this power is active will help them work towards a new beginning: healing HP, restoring lost attributes, restoring max HP, removing harmful status afflictions, and removing bad mutations (though this might overlap with Zin and Jiyva). A door can only count once, you get no benefit from doors you've created yourself, and it can only be used once per level. I'm not sure if going through portals/stairs would count. Stronger effects would require high piety and also passing through a lot of doors already, so you wouldn't lose bad mutations with this power until you'd gone through, say, 8 or 10 doors. (There are vaults with a crapload of doors, but each vault is only useful once, so even the dungeon architecture would become a limited resource.)

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 30th August 2011, 09:03

Sirdec wrote:* Could be turned into into a god of Traps and Doors perhaps ?
With ability to create traps as invocations (Piety + Food Cost, Piety Cost goes up with the quality of the trap), Likes it when monsters die due to a trap, Dislikes you or your allies getting harmed by known traps, Hates it when you disarm a trap.

This occurred to me - something like "God of Mechanics" - covering T&D as well as evokable gadgets. However this moves away somewhat from the underlying metaphysical theme of doors as transitions.

nicolae wrote:Threshold of Change: Every door is a chance at a new beginning, a chance at rejecting your old self and starting anew. Devotees of this god know this is not just a metaphor. When activated, this power persists for a time. Every door a devotee passes through while this power is active will help them work towards a new beginning: healing HP, restoring lost attributes, restoring max HP, removing harmful status afflictions, and removing bad mutations (though this might overlap with Zin and Jiyva). A door can only count once, you get no benefit from doors you've created yourself, and it can only be used once per level. I'm not sure if going through portals/stairs would count. Stronger effects would require high piety and also passing through a lot of doors already, so you wouldn't lose bad mutations with this power until you'd gone through, say, 8 or 10 doors. (There are vaults with a crapload of doors, but each vault is only useful once, so even the dungeon architecture would become a limited resource.)

This is exactly what I started thinking about last night but couldn't think of the best mechanic. Basically that as you travel through doors and gain piety, you (or perhaps your equipment) undergo a revelatory experience and are permanently changed in the process. Lose one skill, gain another ... -DEX +INT ... generally neutral mutations that change gameplay without an obvious positive or negative effect - of course it's very difficult to do this without encouraging scummy gameplay, so maybe the effects should be rare but always good. I kind of think it should happen passively all the time rather than having to activate it, otherwise it could just get irritating and you'd lose a lot of flavour.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 30th August 2011, 10:49

lack of strong theme disturbs me. Maybe this can inspire god designer:
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janus

For this message the author Curio has received thanks:
galehar

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 1st September 2011, 13:18

mikee independently had an idea for a door god on his own. See his proposal at https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php? ... doorokhloe, or for your convenience right here:

Flavour: Dooroklohe (don't worry, this is only a working name) is a sort of counterpart to Ashenzari within the pantheon of gods. Rather than promoting enlightenment, Dooroklohe advocates that doors figuratively and literally remain closed.

Abilities:

Passive: All followers of Dooroklohe can walk through doors.
Passive: All open doors on a level are immediately detected (presumably so that the player can close them).
Active: All doors in sight become friendly door mimics.
Active: Life-saving ability 'tomb of doorklohe': like the tomb card effect but with closed doors instead of walls.

Killing monsters capable of opening/eating doors.
(possibly and for only the first time) Closing doors.

Dislikes:

Opening doors.
Piety decay over time

Punishments:

All doors immediately close to the player and do not open.

Final thoughts: I understand that currently these abilities are not enough to attract the typical player to this god. Something else is needed and I will try to think of more. Ideas/feedback from others is of course welcome. - mikee

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 1st September 2011, 15:20

lack of strong theme disturbs me. Maybe this can inspire god designer:
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janus

Well indeed he was my inspiration, together with Hermes/Mercury for the escape non-killing abilities.

mikee independently had an idea for a door god on his own

I think there is good potential in having a god of doorways whichever the final result is. As a god punishment I propose that opening/closing doors takes more turns -perhaps progressively decreasing until reaching normality-. It is quite annoying and easy to implement.

EDIT:
mumra said:
Restricting teleport sounds way too harsh - but you could have doors randomly sticking when you try to open them, strong winds blowing you back up or down staircases, that kind of thing.

I haven't read this above. Yeah, great minds thinks the same.
Last edited by Roderic on Thursday, 1st September 2011, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 1st September 2011, 15:24

* Could be turned into into a god of Traps and Doors perhaps ?

I was working on this topic: a "hunter" god of tactics and traps. The trap ability itself is good and diverse enough to be carried on independently. More on this coming soon.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 2nd September 2011, 20:20

So, I was thinking about these two completely opposite door gods, that actually shared a number of common themes.

Then I realised there could be a way we can have both:

https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php?id=dcss:brainstorm:god:revolving_doors

I don't quite know if it's ridiculous or brilliant, please let me know ;)

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2011, 17:28

It's brilliant and ridiculously fun. I think that exploring while keeping a balance is far better (understood as difficult) than a compulsive conduct towards one or another style of "door playing". Also the idea of dual gods is really appealing for both they are the opposite sides of the same coin. Also they have both names with letters which are still not used (intentional?).

I can't figure out how to monitoring adequately the door/stair/portal piety, but I think that some developer can see it smoother than me.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2011, 17:49

Roderic wrote:It's brilliant and ridiculously fun. I think that exploring while keeping a balance is far better (understood as difficult) than a compulsive conduct towards one or another style of "door playing". Also the idea of dual gods is really appealing for both they are the opposite sides of the same coin. Also they have both names with letters which are still not used (intentional?).

I can't figure out how to monitoring adequately the door/stair/portal piety, but I think that some developer can see it smoother than me.

Thanks :) I like how the "sides of a coin" idea perfectly fits that statue of Janus (looking both ways) in the link Curio posted. My initial idea was a kind of bi-polar / schizophrenic God that didn't quite know whether it wanted doors open or closed; but I think having two distinct deities makes it a lot more characterful (...although, maybe we'll never know if it's just one deity with multiple personalities after all?)

I intentionally didn't yet go into any specifics about how the balance mechanism might work (but I do have ideas) - initially I just wanted to explore the themes created by having two drastically opposing but inherently attached gods.

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration (and also to mikee) - I had fun figuring it all out!

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2011, 18:05

Oh, regarding the names; that was completely unintentional. They're just placeholders; Dorlok because it was easier and slightly different than Doorokhloe (mikee's proposal) and also "Door Lock" for the god that likes doors closed. Portho is "Port Hole" for the god that likes them open :)

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2011, 20:51

wow! This one is flavor-fest proposal. I completely adore this remix of original ideas. If 2-in-1 deity is too revolutionary it may be considered a one two-headed god(ess)
(some abilities still need balancing out though)

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 4th September 2011, 13:29

Curio wrote:wow! This one is flavor-fest proposal. I completely adore this remix of original ideas. If 2-in-1 deity is too revolutionary it may be considered a one two-headed god(ess)
(some abilities still need balancing out though)

In terms of mechanics, it really doesn't matter whether it's flavoured as two gods or one bipolar one; but I don't think any god can be "too" revolutionary - the more they stand out the better, so long as the theme fits.

The abilities definitely need trimming; at this stage I just included every single idea that I felt worked, just to see how the characters of the two gods would both contrast and synergise in terms of powers.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 13th September 2011, 11:20

As a bit of cultural background in this doorway topic, Eleggua or Eshu Elegua is a yoruba deity also worshiped in santería. He is a trickster, owner of all roads and doors, deciding to open or close them to somebody at will. Present in doors, corners and cross-roads, he acts also as a messenger.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 13th September 2011, 17:37

Made it with the two-in-one version in mind, but it'd just need retouching to work for a lone god.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 13th September 2011, 17:52

I like it. Half door open, half door closed. Overflow altar vaults may include stone archs or a room with 4 doors at each corner or so on.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 13th September 2011, 19:21

Roderic wrote:I like it. Half door open, half door closed. Overflow altar vaults may include stone archs or a room with 4 doors at each corner or so on.

Or, better yet, some kind of trigger mechanism: each time one door is closed, another one opens. Conversely, one of the twin doors cannot be opened while the other one is blocked by items or a monster.
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 13th September 2011, 19:37

ontoclasm wrote:Image

Made it with the two-in-one version in mind, but it'd just need retouching to work for a lone god.

Looks fantastic! :D

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 16th September 2011, 00:58

you know, as a tile maker (wannabe) myself I just have little artsy orgasms in my head when i look at your tiles, ontoclasm (by Odin's beard, the runes. THE RUNES!)
on topic: i was very sceptical at first about this god. But duo variation could be perfect new addition to the pantheon.

Return to Game Design Discussion