Goft, god of isolation

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 2nd August 2016, 17:17

Goft, god of isolation

Doesn't want your worship, but is compelled to accept it anyway. Gives bonuses for abandoning it based on your piety level.
You gain piety by exploration. Once a bonus is received for abandonment, it can never be received again if you rejoin the god.

...... Slow move 1. No bonus for abandonment. Effect removed if you leave.
*..... Chooses two at random: -3 EV, -3 AC, rC-, rF-. Gain $500 if you leave.
** ... MR-. Gain a scroll of acquirement if you leave.
***... Take 10% extra damage from all sources. Gain 2 potions of experience if you leave.
****.. Gives Mark* mutation. You occasionally get marked. Mark can also be activated intentionally. Mutation is removed if you leave. Gain 5 potions of beneficial mutation if you leave.
*****. Stat zero. Sets your lowest stat's base value to zero. Effect removed if you leave. Creates a treasure trove with no access price if you leave.
****** Zerk effect. All enemies go berserk the first time they see you. Can be activated intentionally to make enemies berserk again. Effect removed if you leave. Gives you an extra life (felid style) if you leave.

Bonuses for a piety level are offered midway to the next piety level.
Last edited by xentronium on Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 02:43, edited 1 time in total.
Comborobin Admin

For this message the author xentronium has received thanks: 8
Airwolf, and into, Arrhythmia, Moose, mopl, Sar, Shard1697, ydeve

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 2nd August 2016, 19:08

Re: Goft, god of isolation

So would you get all the bonuses at once if you had ****** and you left? This sounds very much like a "Super High Risk, Incredibly High Reward" kind of god. But also one that would be much more beneficial in the early game than in the late game or extended. Particularly in Extended all that stuff would combine to be lethal very quickly. Whereas early on it might be easier to deal with (rC- wouldn't even be a problem) but it might also give you such a power boost that the game becomes easy mode?

It's an idea I kinda like but I feel like it doesn't really work for Crawl? I dunno.
Wins: MiFi(6,15), MiBe(11), SpEn(11), DDHu(3), GrEE(3), GnEE(6), VpEn(15)

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 2nd August 2016, 20:19

Yeah, you'd get all the bonuses at once. Making yourself weaker in the short term for long term gains is usually a bad idea in crawl, but if you start out with a species that's strong initially and gets weaker later on (like Tr) it might be ok.
Comborobin Admin

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 2nd August 2016, 20:25

Why is Tr weak lategame? UC is always strong, and if you have some gda, then you will have great defenses.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 2nd August 2016, 20:30

I meant Tr can get weaker midgame before you find a dragon armor.
Comborobin Admin

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 2nd August 2016, 20:45

xentronium wrote:Yeah, you'd get all the bonuses at once. Making yourself weaker in the short term for long term gains is usually a bad idea in crawl, but if you start out with a species that's strong initially and gets weaker later on (like Tr) it might be ok.

My issue with it is that you'd have to be a pretty strong race to pull this kind of thing off. Not many races can take MR- plus +10% damage taken AND -3 EV/AC AND stat zero (I didn't even really see that before that's pretty ridiculous) AND Marking AND everything going berserk.

You'd have to be a MiFi or a TrBe or something that can run away super fast, like a SpEn. Basically all those easy background/race combos advertised at beginners.

So it doesn't really help out those who are weaker who'd really benefit from it, because they wouldn't be able to survive what gets done to them. (Seriously stat zero is ridiculously nasty.) Those that it would benefit would be just as powerful without all these freebies.

Again, I like the idea, but it needs some serious tweaking before it could even be properly integrated into a trunk testing, let alone an actual version release of Crawl.
Wins: MiFi(6,15), MiBe(11), SpEn(11), DDHu(3), GrEE(3), GnEE(6), VpEn(15)

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 2nd August 2016, 23:10

God of join and then immediately abandon if you are playing a monk.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 02:42

Hellmonk wrote:God of join and then immediately abandon if you are playing a monk.

Hmm I guess Monks could start at 2* but not get anything for leaving until they hit 3*. Make 2* worse: instead of 1 of rF-,rC-, etc, get 2 of them.
Comborobin Admin

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 04:53

Interesting concept.

Monks/faded altar can just get the piety bump I think. "It's free stuff"—except starting with bonus piety under a number of other gods is stronger than getting some extra gold or a scroll of acquirement, so there is a real opportunity cost.

I suppose it would be a bit meta-gamey for a monk to join and immediately quit for $$$, then worship Gozag, but that can be solved without weird exceptions by simply changing the money gift into something else. Albeit in a different way, Gozag already gives players access to extra gold. Probably better not to step on another deity's turf.

(Also, the final six star piety level should only have an additional gift, not an extra penalty, as you will presumably be leaving the god immediately after reaching it...)

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 05:03

How do you activate it intentionally? I'd like to know because I suffer from this effect and I find it h-i-l-a-r-i-o-u-s.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 07:04

God should be completely fed up with you and kick you out immediately (but with all gifts) once you reach 6*.

Trying to pray on its altars afterwards will get you a "X does not accept worship from these such as you!" message.

For this message the author Croases has received thanks:
vergil

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 14:13

This god's pretty awesome conceptually. It'd be cool to some kind of toggleable ability to prevent Piety gain so that each tier of handicaps can be taken on as a not-quite-atheist-but-close-enough player challenge.

If you join Cheibriados after abandoning Goft, it should give you free Piety. I like to imagine Chei like "Wow! You took your time getting here! I like your sense of initiative." and then he gives you some of those expensive sneakers, the ones with flashing red-and-blue LEDs in a transparent rubber sole.
And you think you're capable of finding the ORB? I had it, you know. Then I gave it away so I could steal it AGAIN.

For this message the author Gongclonker has received thanks: 2
vergil, xentronium

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 4th August 2016, 04:49

Really like the idea, but I think the last 2 conducts are too hard, and the rewards at each level are too rewarding... free trove should be the 6 piety reward and maybe no reward for abandonment at 1 piety.

Croases wrote:God should be completely fed up with you and kick you out immediately (but with all gifts) once you reach 6*..

Goft booms, "Damn it dude, just leave me alone already! REEEEEEEEE!!!"

For this message the author lethediver has received thanks:
vergil

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner