Is there a way to tell if an enemy can kill me in one hit?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 03:03

Is there a way to tell if an enemy can kill me in one hit?

From current hit points.

I just lost a promising SpEn (offline, because P357 is down) because he took 60 damage from a thorn hunter. How am I supposed to know that the volley of thorns is going to be able to do that much damage? What is the point of giving HP totals if I can't gauge how much damage I can actually take?

Upon closer inspection, it appeared he fired 3 rounds of it in one turn. wtf? Is there something I need to know about this monster that the wiki isn't telling me?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 03:15

Re: Is there a way to tell if an enemy can kill me in one hi

The only way to know if an enemy can oneshot you is looking up its damage numbers, via the knowledge bots or wherever else.

I would like if crawl had something like "It can kill you this turn" in descriptions, but then again, I would also like if crawl had brogue-esque "It can do 11%-33% of your max HP in one hit, and at worst could kill you in 3 hits" descriptions.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
pumpyscump

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 04:41

I think crawls dangerous and extremely dangerous system is good, you take damage from dangerous enemies and you can sort of have and idea on average how they hit and even specifically how that specific enemy hits, but this system fails quite often with things like Komodo dragons or extremely uniques that just suck and are easy. Crawl telling how much damage enemies do to you removed player knowledge and makes the game easier which most people with wins will agree that the game shouldn't be made easier

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 05:05

CypherZel wrote:I think crawls dangerous and extremely dangerous system is good, you take damage from dangerous enemies and you can sort of have and idea on average how they hit and even specifically how that specific enemy hits, but this system fails quite often with things like Komodo dragons or extremely uniques that just suck and are easy. Crawl telling how much damage enemies do to you removed player knowledge and makes the game easier which most people with wins will agree that the game shouldn't be made easier
I know what these words mean individually, but not in this order

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 05:08

duvessa wrote:
CypherZel wrote:I think crawls dangerous and extremely dangerous system is good, you take damage from dangerous enemies and you can sort of have and idea on average how they hit and even specifically how that specific enemy hits, but this system fails quite often with things like Komodo dragons or extremely uniques that just suck and are easy. Crawl telling how much damage enemies do to you removed player knowledge and makes the game easier which most people with wins will agree that the game shouldn't be made easier
I know what these words mean individually, but not in this order

It's 6:00 am now and I woke up at 6:00 am yesterday so I apologise for anything that sounds full retard

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 06:37

In what world does that remove player knowledge? Perhaps the one where it's considered good that people be forced to remember every little detail in a game specifically designed to hide stuff?

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 07:14

Wait untill you get oneshotted by crystal spear from ogre mage. Or any magic from Elf:3. That's why I don't like playing Sp. So many things that can go wrong, especially with bolts and magic.
I guess a lot of AC helps, like rings+5\buckler w/ protection. Amulet of reflection would've helped if you're lucky enough.
Remembering monster abilities and skills plus a ton of luck is the way to go. Perhaps it's more the latter than the first.
Online Statistics
Road to: Great Ds (6/25): DsFi^Gozag 3 R, DsGl^Qaz 4 R, DsMo^Chei 5 R, {DsHu^Uska 6 R, DsAs^Uska 7 R}, DsAr^Chei 8 R.
In progress: DsWn... Currently out of time. Maybe someday.

Watch my streams here

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 10:33

If you play a ton of games, you get some general idea about monster damage. The only way to know exact numbers is to look it up in the source code I guess.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 12:29

Wiki has numbers, but I'm not sure how accurate.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 12:58

PowerOfKaishin wrote:

In what world does that remove player knowledge? Perhaps the one where it's considered good that people be forced to remember every little detail in a game specifically designed to hide stuff?

Because you are no longer required to be familiar with your enemies

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 13:25

CypherZel wrote:
PowerOfKaishin wrote:In what world does that remove player knowledge? Perhaps the one where it's considered good that people be forced to remember every little detail in a game specifically designed to hide stuff?

For me personally, it would just save some time i spend looking up monster damage.
Also, if you're very scared of losing to a single max damage roll, you can always be a hipster and play felids. That's what i do. On the other hand, you'd need to know monster damage even better with them.
Offline greaterplayer (who cares). I don't always play online, but when i do, i streak felids.
Zot:5 on easy mode video
Double Skullcrusher

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 13:30

ZoFy wrote:
CypherZel wrote:
PowerOfKaishin wrote:In what world does that remove player knowledge? Perhaps the one where it's considered good that people be forced to remember every little detail in a game specifically designed to hide stuff?

For me personally, it would just save some time i spend looking up monster damage.
Also, if you're very scared of losing to a single max damage roll, you can always be a hipster and play felids. That's what i do. On the other hand, you'd need to know monster damage even better with them.

You can say that about half the game, do you look up every equation and multipliers in the game? When you get a new weapon do you get a calculator out and run its base damage and slaying through the damage multiplier?
The game hides things for a reason

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 13:44

There are indeed people who look up every monster's damage all the time. I don't do this, but I look up/have memorized certain monster's damage(for example, I can tell you off the top of my head that a hobgoblin has 2 AC and 5 base damage(so 10 with a club added) instead of 0 AC and 4 damage for a goblin, an ettin has 45,45 base damage, and an OoF shoots for 3d40/3d43 damage), and will definitely check monster damage if I get in a tight spot, because these are things that can and do matter.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 14:16

CypherZel wrote:
PowerOfKaishin wrote:

Well sure, depending on how you want to use the word remove, I suppose this is true. But there's nothing wrong with not having to be familiar with enemies.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 20:40

If enemies just vary by "how quickly can they kill me," then we've got a problem, and we can't patch it up by requiring players to experiment to determine the exact value of that variable.
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 31st July 2016, 06:56

arandomperson12 wrote:Wiki has numbers, but I'm not sure how accurate.

The wiki's damage numbers are pretty good, although you have to remember that monsters with weapons add the weapon damage to their base damage. So e.g. an Ettin's two up-to-45 damage hits become up-to-67 damage hits when it wields GSCs.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 31st July 2016, 21:55

I'm slightly confused by your death. Got a morgue?

Were all three hits thorn volleys? Volley of thorns is 3d18, so quite dangerous at max 54 damage. Thorn hunters are speed 12, so to shoot you three times you had to spend at the very least something like 17 to 18 aut on something. Did you do a really slow action? Like swing a slow weapon without training, or perhaps you had a slowing debuff like roots and/or water.

Alternatively, thorn hunters hit twice in melee. Were you next to it?

Alternatively, were there multiple thorn hunters?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 1st August 2016, 06:13

If you play webtiles, find a game where beem is spectating. Write !beem subscribe in the chat box. Then beem will watch your games. Then you can write %??monster in the chat box and beem will give you the data you want. Beem is extremely good. This isn't perfect because weapon base damage, and I think enchant, affects enemy damage and isn't taken into account, but you can get a pretty good idea of what to expect.

Despite many players choosing to effectively have sequell integrated with the game in this way, there is resistance to adding this data to x-v, for reasons unknown to me.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks: 2
dowan, nago

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 4th August 2016, 05:28

I assume that thorn hunter's name was red in the monster list. It's a good idea to assume anything red named can 1 shot you and just run from it until it's offscreen (doable for a Sp)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 4th August 2016, 06:18

I believe we should replace player HP numbers with HP bar. As noted above, defense numbers are useless without offense numbers and if devs don't want to display offense numbers, they should not provide defense numbers either.
Also player HP should be randomized every 500-1000 turns, i.e. you can have 90% normal HP during one period and 110% normal HP during another.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks: 2
genericpseudonym, ydeve

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 8th August 2016, 22:46

I really don't understand why you think that.

Comparing characters is important. Max HP is important. Actual numbers are important, rather than eyeballing.

And I have no idea why HP would be randomized.
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice