Wielding Ammo in Tiles

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 14:54

Wielding Ammo in Tiles

Question to designers:

In tiles,
if you click on an unwielded weapon, it is wielded (if possible).
if you click on a wielded weapon, it unwields.
if you click on throwable ammo, it is thrown/targeted, regardless of whether the ammo is wielded.

I'm an Earth Elementalist with sandblast who has rocks wielded.
I like to switch back to Unarmed Combat for melee; currently to unwield I guess I need to hit 'w' then '-', which is a pain in the butt, so I made a macro.

I would think for standards, that clicking wielded ammo should unwield it rather than throw it. Opinions?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 15:03

Re: Wielding Ammo in Tiles

you can ctrl+click to wield/unwield. This is the case for both rods and missiles.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks: 2
MyOtheHedgeFox, XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 15:42

Thanks, I didn't know about the ctrl-click; figured since regular click did it, that'd be the solution.

It still seems consistent with the way ammo works, but inconsistent with the way something wielded works.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 19:42

The tooltip tells about the various mouse commands.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 30th August 2011, 00:12

The ' (apostrophe) key can be used to switch between what is wielded from slot 'a' to slot 'b' and back. You may have to use = to rearrange things so that one or the other is empty, but I just tested and it does work with unarmed.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 30th August 2011, 00:31

The best way to solve this would be to follow jpeg's idea of combining all EW scrolls into one, and make them enchant a selected target (like EA and recharging) instead of enchanting the wielded item. After that, the question would be moot.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 30th August 2011, 00:51

Except for Sticks to Snakes. But the fact that you have to wield the sticks to snakify them has an almost negligible effect on gameplay; it would probably be worth the interface improvement to make that spell targeted on your inventory as well. (It would have the side effect of reducing the times where you snakify your actual weapon by accident.)

For this message the author ElectricAlbatross has received thanks:
XuaXua

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 30th August 2011, 00:53

ElectricAlbatross wrote:Except for Sticks to Snakes. But the fact that you have to wield the sticks to snakify them has an almost negligible effect on gameplay; it would probably be worth the interface improvement to make that spell targeted on your inventory as well. (It would have the side effect of reducing the times where you snakify your actual weapon by accident.)

If you know the S2S spell, then the wield menu will automatically list arrows, I believe. One can discuss whether wielding is really a good idea for this spell, but it does not pose the interface problem of enchanting missiles, as far as I know.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 30th August 2011, 06:39

ElectricAlbatross wrote:Except for Sticks to Snakes.

And sandblast, which is what prompted this thread, not enchanting ammo (the third alternative).

Return to Game Design Discussion