Lair Stash?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 14th July 2016, 16:46

Lair Stash?

Why is lair 2 a more common location than lair 1?

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 14th July 2016, 16:49

Re: Lair Stash?

Because the players who still think it's necessary to make stashes remember a time when jellies were able to eat items.

For this message the author amalloy has received thanks: 3
Rast, vergil, ZoFy

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 14th July 2016, 17:17

When I'm in a stashy mood, in the newer versions, I often make a stash in Lair 1, near the entrance of the branch. And I see a lot of other people do that as well. (Well, cool people). Lair used to be a good choice because lair monsters couldn't use your stash items back then. Now no monsters can.

But occasionally I do it outside lair, or on D:15, or sometimes I just make a bunch of mini-stashes at the entrances to all the different branches, or in good 'in-between' areas.

Just pick somewhere central. Or leave everything randomly on the floor like some kind of animal.

-------------------------------------

As far as I can tell, it doesn't really save time having your stash centrally located, or even having a stash at all, it ends up being about the same amount of running around in the end. The real difference is when you are unsure if you'll need something.. just leave it, you can always find it later.. And if you're newer you might pick up and stash a lot of stuff and not ever ending up using it, and that will of course waste a ton more time than just leaving it there. As you get more experienced you'll get better at determining what you'll actually need later on.

So don't use stashes to save time.. Use stashes for convenience, use them because they look really cool in ascii, use them because they make you a cool person, use them if you have a bad memory and have stuff you might need later but might forget about.. But that doesn't happen often because as far as roguelikes go, crawl is pretty simple, there's not like a million items you might need at some random point.. Maybe just some extra rF/rMut for Zot/etc, maybe a big heavy weapon you're not ready to train to mindelay yet... some spare wands of types that you are actually using a lot?

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 14th July 2016, 22:10

oh my frakking gravy, who even stashes at all anymore

Spoiler: show
Seriously, what is the point? If you're not speedrunning, ctrl-f is the fastest way to find and get to anything anyway. If you are speedrunning, it's a waste of turns to make a stash that you'll almost never be willing to backtrack to anyway. WHAT THE FRAKK DO YOU NEED A STASH FOR
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

For this message the author tedric has received thanks:
ydeve

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 14th July 2016, 22:30

tedric wrote:
Seriously, what is the point? If you're not speedrunning, ctrl-f is the fastest way to find and get to anything anyway. If you are speedrunning, it's a waste of turns to make a stash that you'll almost never be willing to backtrack to anyway. WHAT THE FRAKK DO YOU NEED A STASH FOR

To have everything in one place, duh. Have all your unidentified potions in one place, find a scroll of identification, identify the potion, you don't have to scramble looking for the others

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th July 2016, 22:48

I only stash spellbooks which have spells that I might be interested in later. Then I can go to my stash and press 'M' and decide what spell to go for next.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
ydeve

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 14th July 2016, 22:49

Sprucery wrote:I only stash spellbooks which have spells that I might be interested in later. Then I can go to my stash and press 'M' and decide what spell to go for next.

Is it any better than ctrl-f "book" and browse there?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th July 2016, 22:54

Magipi wrote:
Sprucery wrote:I only stash spellbooks which have spells that I might be interested in later. Then I can go to my stash and press 'M' and decide what spell to go for next.

Is it any better than ctrl-f "book" and browse there?

Yes, because I see the percentages immediately. If there are several spells I might want, I usually go for the one that is the easiest to get online.

Also, I don't stash the books I am not interested in. If I do ctrl-f "book" I get also those ones. And browsing books is slower than browsing the spell list right away.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 14th July 2016, 23:00

tedric wrote:WHAT THE FRAKK DO YOU NEED A STASH FOR

BEWARE THE HUNGER COST
Psst, hey kid... you like roguelikes?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th July 2016, 03:33

there's a very legitimate reason to make lair 2 stashes still: what if the devs revert the jelly change???

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 15th July 2016, 06:13

I always stash in temple because I'm a BAMOFO

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 15th July 2016, 06:18

arandomperson12 wrote:Why is lair 2 a more common location than lair 1?

so everyone else has posted there's no reason to make a stash anymore, aside from the reptilian pleasure of observing your horde. but, back in the day, when one was concerned about jellies, a thing about monster spawning is that near the stairs, a monster from the next/previous level's spawn table could spawn. so if you built a stash on L:1, then you could pull a spawn from D:10 or whatever, and jellies can spawn there, and that would be sad.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
Dracunos

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 15th July 2016, 06:18

I stopped stashing before item destruction was even removed

I ain't about that life

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 15th July 2016, 07:53

Friends don't let friends do stashes.

For this message the author ydeve has received thanks: 2
goodcoolguy, vergil

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 15th July 2016, 11:22

All the cool dudes stash, don't listen, stash in temple like a boss

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 15th July 2016, 12:00

My life has become so much easier once i stopped making stashes. That happened back in 0.11—0.13 and stashing was considered uncool even at that time, i'm pretty sure.
Offline greaterplayer (who cares). I don't always play online, but when i do, i streak felids.
Zot:5 on easy mode video
Double Skullcrusher

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th July 2016, 16:11

I stash all the items that might get relevant to my character at some point in the game, so when I decide to go postend or learn some magic, maybe Evocations etc. I can just go to my stash and see all the stuff with resists, stat boosts, spellbooks, potentially useful armours etc. without pressing Ctrl+f a bunch of times. It's especially good when I "stash" a character for a month or so, return and don't even remember what kind of stuff I have. Objectively, I lose some piety and satiation by going back to stash but I don't think it's ever a practical problem. Oh, and your score goes to shit but if you aren't speedrunning, why even care?

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 4
and into, Arrhythmia, Brannock, genericpseudonym

Barkeep

Post Friday, 15th July 2016, 16:47

Like Sar, if I am going for more than three runes I usually do make a stash with books and ?recharging, etc., but I don't bother even picking up ?remove curse and the like after a certain point, whether I make a stash or not. And I just make the stash wherever, no reason to put in Lair particularly.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 15th July 2016, 16:50

I generally just carry everything and drop things when I need room for something more pressing. So maybe I end up ctrl+f for some books later on, or cure mut potions or something, but generally you do have enough room in your inventory to carry everything. I've certainly never stashed unidentified items I intend to identify at some point!

I stopped stashing before jellies stopped eating stuff, then jellies ate a book I wanted, so I started stashing again. Then jellies stopped eating stuff, and I've never had to stash anything again!

When I first started playing I did make a stupid stash on lair 2 with all the stuff I "might need" later. It was quite rare that I actually ever needed any of it...

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 16th July 2016, 16:33

I spend some time going back to stashes, but it's usually not a problem food-wise. Many games have so much food late-game that it really doesn't matter.
Unless you're some heavy caster maybe?
Once in a while I do have a serious food shortage game, but it isn't all that often.
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 16th July 2016, 17:38

better thing then stashing items on L:1 is to stash shops
~online scoring~

Pig's in zen
Pig is nude
Unashamed

For this message the author Eyesburn has received thanks: 2
dowan, vergil

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 16th July 2016, 19:30

Only thing I ever found worth stashing was evocables and books. evocables like wands because there's so much, and it's worth stashing them if you use them in that game. Books because I can have them all on the same tile and memorize through the entire stack.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 17th July 2016, 03:20

Man, I still stash compulsively and now I feel like I'm not one of the cool kids
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 17th July 2016, 12:32

and into wrote:Like Sar, if I am going for more than three runes I usually do make a stash with books and ?recharging, etc., but I don't bother even picking up ?remove curse and the like after a certain point, whether I make a stash or not. And I just make the stash wherever, no reason to put in Lair particularly.

?rc probably depends on how much you like to use-id discovered equipment. Devoting an inventory slot to ?rc is cheaper than carrying around the items I want to test out until it's safe to do so.

I nearly lost a 15-runer to a cursed rod one of the few times I ignored this rule late game.

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 17th July 2016, 14:34

Hurkyl wrote:
and into wrote:Like Sar, if I am going for more than three runes I usually do make a stash with books and ?recharging, etc., but I don't bother even picking up ?remove curse and the like after a certain point, whether I make a stash or not. And I just make the stash wherever, no reason to put in Lair particularly.

?rc probably depends on how much you like to use-id discovered equipment. Devoting an inventory slot to ?rc is cheaper than carrying around the items I want to test out until it's safe to do so.

I nearly lost a 15-runer to a cursed rod one of the few times I ignored this rule late game.

Sorry, that was unclear, I just meant that after a certain point I will carry around X remove curse, but turn off auto-pickup. Ditto for some other things. I mostly let the floor be the stash, though as I said I will try to drop books, wands, etc. in one general area.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 19th July 2016, 12:22

Why turn off auto pickup on RC scrolls if you are going to carry some around? Is it to save turns or something?

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice