Buff !cancellation

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 8th July 2016, 01:03

Buff !cancellation

I think potion of cancellation should remove all contaminating glow, not some chunk of it.
Reasoning: one of possible hell effects gives player severe yellow contamination (not even red!), that can take up to 4(!) potions to reduce it to gray levels. (This is what happened in one of my last trunk games, and I had only 3 of them - and that was my first usage of cancellation in the game. And no, I didn't dive through dungeon, I manually explored more than 90% of each pre-extended floor except Zot.) To eat all this contamination is quite bad option since rMut amulet was removed. And there is also petrifying effect in Dis branch, that could require this potion too. So having hell effect that could eat your entire stack of cancellation potions is wrong in my opinion.

People who usually do extended without lichform will really appreciate this change!
If you spot a grammar mistake in my post I will appreciate if you PM it.

For this message the author Yermak has received thanks: 10
Arrhythmia, darksab0r, dracos369, nago, ololoev, removeelyvilon, runewalsh, Sandman25, Shard1697, Turukano

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 8th July 2016, 01:21

Re: Buff !cancellation

It is also rather unclear what other effects that !cancel will get rid of. Although most of these make sense, it seems logical that it would get rid of a bad polymorph form and it does not. Removing *Contam gear can also eat up two or three potions.

For this message the author prozacelf has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 8th July 2016, 02:22

prozacelf wrote:It is also rather unclear what other effects that !cancel will get rid of. Although most of these make sense, it seems logical that it would get rid of a bad polymorph form and it does not.

actually, it does. if it doesn't, that's a bug (but it worked correctly when i tested right now)

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 8th July 2016, 14:10

It does, but it still takes a turn or two to wear off. edit: or at least it did before the emergency flight changes -- I don't know if that's still true.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 22nd November 2016, 17:27

If you could cancel draining, corrosion, and transient mutations with it, I think I'd value them eons more than I do now.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Return to Game Design Discussion