Gender politics

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 18:58

Gender politics

So recently a bunch of Crawl uniques got their gender changed: http://s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a= ... ae4bbe0639

There was a thread about it (perhaps not the best named one) that got deleted without a trace. That's not very nice, in my opinion, though it's obviously up to the moderators and forum owners to decide. It's a bit disappointing, though.

Anyway, all I wanted to say is that Ijyb change is particularly strange to me. Not just because he's one of the oldest monsters in the line (at least as far as I know), but also because another goblin/hobgoblin early game unique was added recently, Robin, who was female from the inception. So now we have two female goblin uniques. Maybe their society is matriarchal? Crawl has the deepest lore indeed. Oh, and I don't care for Cerebov's change either, he will always be a big fiery guy for me. Anyway, what do you think?

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 4
Leszczynek, Moose, nago, WalrusKing

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 19:01

Re: Gender politics

Sar wrote:Oh, and I don't care for Cerebov's change either, he will always be a big fiery guy for me.

Cerebov is obviously male, the female form of the family name is Cerebova :mrgreen:

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 19:06

Well, this ruins my fanfics... OR DOES IT?????
You shall never see my color again.

For this message the author dynast has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Sar

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 19:08

Sorry if I wasn't clear, Cerebov wasn't changed to a female, he's a "humanoid" instead of "human" now.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 19:08

Sar wrote:Anyway, all I wanted to say is that Ijyb change is particularly strange to me. Not just because he's one of the oldest monsters in the line (at least as far as I know), but also because another goblin/hobgoblin early game unique was added recently, Robin, who was female from the inception. So now we have two female goblin uniques. Maybe their society is matriarchal? Crawl has the deepest lore indeed. Oh, and I don't care for Cerebov's change either, he will always be a big fiery guy for me. Anyway, what do you think?

I agree that some of these changes feel weird. Though Grinder and Cerebov are the big weird feeling ones to me.

I'm also curious as to why these changes were made, given that from what I remembered the overwhelming majority of the crawl uniques that had a gender were female anyways, and this further polarizes that.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 19:09

Also, it seems like the devs missed the great chance: they should have made Dowan female and Duvessa male.

For this message the author Magipi has received thanks:
ZoFy

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 19:10

DOWN WITH CHANGE!!!
SUPPORT THE ESTABLISHMENT!!!

I'm curious as to the why of this more than anything else.
Cerebov, Grinder, and Ijyb being changed don't make any sense.
infinitevox on akrasiac & berotato
Busy dying horrible deaths from chugging too many pots of Mutation.

For this message the author infinitevox has received thanks: 2
Rast, WalrusKing

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 19:12

Eh, I think why it was made is actually pretty obvious, it's a "progressive" thing to do. That's why I don't question the change as a whole, seems pointless to.

Spoiler: show
Though we all know the real reason was to make more girls play Crawl.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 5
nago, Rast, ThreeInvisibleDucks, WalrusKing, wheals

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 19:24

Based on most of my experiences, woman hate to lose, and if there is one thing crawl has a lot of its losing(especially for beginners).
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 19:26

Tiktacy wrote:Based on most of my experiences, woman hate to lose, and if there is one thing crawl has a lot of its losing(especially for beginners).

Don't most people dislike losing? Seems to be pretty basic human nature.

For this message the author 4Hooves2Appendages has received thanks: 2
Sar, ydeve

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 19:30

Sar wrote:There was a thread about it (perhaps not the best named one) that got deleted without a trace. That's not very nice, in my opinion, though it's obviously up to the moderators and forum owners to decide. It's a bit disappointing, though.

The thread in question was removed because there was 1) no content in the thread and 2) no way to make the thread acceptable without changing everything about it. I told the OP that he was welcome to start the thread back up without the sexist remarks, but he has thusfar declined to do so.

WalrusKing wrote:I'm also curious as to why these changes were made, given that from what I remembered the overwhelming majority of the crawl uniques that had a gender were female anyways, and this further polarizes that.

Nope, the opposite. Majority male both before and after the change. Studies have shown that many people, men and women, can perceive as little as 1:10 female-to-male ratio as being about gender equal, presumably because the women that are noticed are more noteworthy by virtue of being less expected.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 6
archaeo, Nasst, osklington, reosarevok, tedric, ydeve

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 19:34

I for one applaud crawls drive towards equality!

I actually really like that player characters are androgynous.

For this message the author 4Hooves2Appendages has received thanks: 2
Nasst, pumpyscump

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 19:36

Does this mean all the Pandemonium Lords are now Pan-sexual?

Yeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

For this message the author infinitevox has received thanks: 3
Magipi, reosarevok, Sar

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 19:41

Somebody calculated the gender ratio and it was about 30% female before the commit and 44% female afterwards.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 20:07

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:
Tiktacy wrote:Based on most of my experiences, woman hate to lose, and if there is one thing crawl has a lot of its losing(especially for beginners).

Please no straw mans on the tavern. Hate and dislike are not the same thing.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 20:16

Tiktacy wrote:

Please no straw mans on the tavern. Hate and dislike are not the same thing.
I see you edited out your original post (which is adequately summarized by "REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE") into a shorter but almost equally bad one

Anyway, you misunderstand the effects of MAOA variants and the "throwing out" and "labeling" you describe...never happened

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
scorpionwarrior

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 20:20

The why is pretty simple: more equitable distribution of unique's genders, which I consider self-evidently positive. I think it was poor design for a game so unfocused on gender to be overtly male skewed when gender did appear.

For this message the author chequers has received thanks: 5
duvessa, Lasty, Nasst, pumpyscump, tedric

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 20:27

Tiktacy wrote:Please no straw mans on the tavern.
Please make that straw persons or straw people in the future.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks: 2
Sar, Tiktacy

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 20:28

ontoclasm wrote:Somebody calculated the gender ratio and it was about 30% female before the commit and 44% female afterwards.

The playerbase is still holding steady at 2% female.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 20:36

while we're on the subject, it kind of bothers me that the game makes a point of picking on my physical appearance in my description. like, it doesn't matter how I look when I'm killing you. and the game doesn't insult any other elves or humans in that way

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 20:39

lol @ the ppl saying "it doesn't make sense" to change the gender of mythical creatures in a video game about a magical dungeon

wish i could triple-like Lasty's post re: over-estimations of feminine representation
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

For this message the author tedric has received thanks: 4
archaeo, cerebovssquire, Nasst, osklington

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 20:47

Laugh all you want, its being done for arbitrary reasons, which don't make sense. But being arbitrary, they don't have to make sense.

I'm all for equality and everything, but I think it is PC nonsense to change things like this to fit the current political climate.
Keep your politics out of DCSS please, its bad enough they permeate just about every other facet of the internet.
You want more female uniques? Add more. There's no reason to gender-bend the existing ones when there is an obvious and easy solution.

For this message the author infinitevox has received thanks: 10
Abominae, dowan, gammafunk, Leszczynek, Moose, nago, ThreeInvisibleDucks, WalrusKing, Yermak, ZoFy

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 20:47

I am really happy that our gods have no genders. Ideally (to me), that'd also hold for uniques: I mean, as humans/kobolds/etc., they would have genders, but we wouldn't disclose them because it doesn't matter. That's a bit harder, though: you have to avoid names like Sigmund and Adolf and Jozef.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks:
tedric

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 20:50

dpeg, that would be the best overall solution.
Leave the names as they are, let people make assumptions as they want.

Sigmund could easily be a retired-from-circus bearded lady...

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 20:56

Most devs believe there are too many uniques already, so "add more" is not an option.

I don't think changing some genders is any more (or less) political than picking genders was in the first place. Or more pertinently, no more or less political than removing spell book descriptions including rape.

For this message the author chequers has received thanks: 3
cerebovssquire, osklington, tedric

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 21:00

infinitevox wrote:Laugh all you want, its being done for arbitrary reasons, which don't make sense. But being arbitrary, they don't have to make sense.

I'm all for equality and everything, but I think it is PC nonsense to change things like this to fit the current political climate.
Keep your politics out of DCSS please, its bad enough they permeate just about every other facet of the internet.
You want more female uniques? Add more. There's no reason to gender-bend the existing ones when there is an obvious and easy solution.
changing the gender of existing uniques is a far more obvious and easier solution than adding a bunch of new uniques solely because a few tavern users don't like the idea of women existing

chequers wrote:Most devs believe there are too many uniques already, so "add more" is not an option.
god I hope this is true

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 4
cerebovssquire, Nasst, osklington, tedric

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 21:01

If you can come up with anything funny to post you might aswell treat the this topic seriously, and thats what happened.
You shall never see my color again.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 21:02

No chequers, a surfeit of straight dudes is Normal, and anything else is Political. Keep your politics out!
remove handsome distillation

For this message the author pumpyscump has received thanks: 8
archaeo, Arrhythmia, duvessa, Lasty, Nasst, osklington, reosarevok, tedric

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 21:16

I like the changes overall, though I'd prefer panlords keep genders and I think changing Sojobo is very inappropriate.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 21:39

Lasty wrote:
WalrusKing wrote:I'm also curious as to why these changes were made, given that from what I remembered the overwhelming majority of the crawl uniques that had a gender were female anyways, and this further polarizes that.

Nope, the opposite. Majority male both before and after the change. Studies have shown that many people, men and women, can perceive as little as 1:10 female-to-male ratio as being about gender equal, presumably because the women that are noticed are more noteworthy by virtue of being less expected.

Actually, I'd just assumed that the list on the learndb was complete and correct, which it apparently wasn't (By a lot too, as it turns out. I assume it was only made for humanoids or something? Not sure. Got what I deserved by not code diving I guess)

On the whole I'm close to ambivalent about this change, though I am still irked at the change to Cerebov and Grinder in particular.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 22:26

duvessa wrote:changing the gender of existing uniques is a far more obvious and easier solution than adding a bunch of new uniques solely because a few tavern users don't like the idea of women existing

Come on now, there is no need to be hyperbolic here. It has absolutely nothing to do with "don't like the idea of women existing." And to be quite honest, that's a very tired and worn out sentiment.

It has more to do with: I never gave any thought whatsoever to the gender "balance" of the unique mobs until the commit and this thread. But because someone out there has a political agenda to make everything "PC", attention has been drawn to it.
Perhaps it's my own short-coming as a person, but I fail to see why this was a problem at all.
So now all I see is someone making something from nothing in some attempt to seem "progressive", which in addition to being both tedious and annoying, also violates the 1st law of thermodynamics.

In short:
I don't give two shits if you're a demi-sexual furry who identifies as a Cuisinart, let's just keep all the politics & agendas out of something that we all do for fun and to decompress from the rest of this crazy world please.

For this message the author infinitevox has received thanks: 6
dowan, gammafunk, Rast, ThreeInvisibleDucks, WalrusKing, Yermak

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 22:36

If you don't care about the male/female ratio, then you shouldn't be that bothered by this change. In gameplay terms the change is cosmetic. The people who are making something out of it aren't those who made the change, which was done rather quietly, but rather those complaining about it.

If whatever the ratio is isn't a problem, then don't make the new ratio a problem.

For this message the author ydeve has received thanks: 7
all before, duvessa, Lasty, Nasst, osklington, scorpionwarrior, tedric

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 22:43

if i can throw my hat into the gendersexual-bikeshed arena (the worst possible of all arenas) could we please be consistent and either genderize the demon lords again (what sexes? i don't care) or make all demons neuter? i prefer the latter but w/e i want consistency more than anything

e: adding back eresh's smoking hot rack would be a big plus IMO

e2: giving eresh a big floppy dong would also be pretty cool
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 2
genericpseudonym, WalrusKing

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 22:46

Anta could still be unique in having a gender because he's a fallen titan or whatever. Well, or a titan-ess, with a titanic... nevermind.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 22:47

Sar wrote:Anta could still be unique in having a gender because he's a fallen titan or whatever. Well, or a titan-ess, with a titanic... nevermind.

tracts of land?
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 2
infinitevox, Sar

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 22:50

male->female involves more REMOVE than female->male so I don't mind.

It's about the willingness/eagerness to accept risk in pursuit of some reward, which is not basic human nature, and very unevenly spread among people.

For this message the author HardboiledGargoyle has received thanks:
Tiktacy

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 22:57

Arrhythmia wrote:e: adding back eresh's smoking hot rack would be a big plus IMO

why not both.jpg
why not both.jpg (14.34 KiB) Viewed 23131 times
Spoiler: show
Psst, hey kid... you like roguelikes?

For this message the author wizzzargh has received thanks: 8
Arrhythmia, duvessa, Leszczynek, osklington, reosarevok, Sar, Tiktacy, yesno

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 22:59

Arrhythmia wrote:if i can throw my hat into the gendersexual-bikeshed arena (the worst possible of all arenas) could we please be consistent and either genderize the demon lords again (what sexes? i don't care) or make all demons neuter? i prefer the latter but w/e i want consistency more than anything

e: adding back eresh's smoking hot rack would be a big plus IMO

"YOU ARE HUGE. THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE DONG! RIP AND TEAR!"

For this message the author WalrusKing has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, duvessa

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 23:10

infinitevox wrote:Perhaps it's my own short-coming as a person, but I fail to see why this was a problem at all.

It's self-evident, did you forget already.
dpeg wrote:Please make that straw persons or straw people in the future.

Make it 'strawman' half the time, 'strawwoman' half the time, and alternate back and forth.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 23:14

While there exists plenty exceptions in the animal kingdom, it doesn't really make sense for a humanoid female to be superior in physical prowess to their male counterparts(particularly in the context of crawl, in which it seems nearly all enemies are trained for battle). Perhaps magical prowess or even dexterity, but physical prowess is a characteristic of males with few exceptions.

Ijyb and cerebov are not characterized by magical prowess(even a lowly salamander can cast fire storm!) or dexterity, they are defined by their much larger HP pools and physical ability compared to their counterparts. For this reason it makes more sense for them to be male. Ereshkigels for example makes sense, as she is defined by her high evasion and her unusually high HP can be explained by her existence as an archdemon(even then her HP is about average with the other archdemons, which again would make sense).

Occasionally swaying from the norm like the way Dowan and Duvessa do is amusing and certainly very flavorful, but its a bad idea to delude that by flooding the game with female uniques that don't have any reason to be female outside of "just cuz."

Then again, this is a fantasy world where sandy beaches and oceans exist under ground and giant ant men can dig through rock walls as fast as they can run. So its not like extreme outliars existing often is that hard to swallow.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 23:30

Empirical facts aside, biological simulationism should not be a design motivation anyway.

For this message the author andreas has received thanks:
Tiktacy

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 23:37

Tiktacy wrote:even then her HP is about average with the other archdemons

Eresh has the least HP out of all lords, she used to have dramatically less HP but now it's just "less" HP.

Edit: removed str vs dex because I probably don't understand it either.
Last edited by Sar on Friday, 10th June 2016, 01:05, edited 2 times in total.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 23:49

There is a troubling lack of fat uniques, not even talking about normal monsters, and this is frankly quite problematic. The only fat unique is Snorg as seen by its tile. This adds insult to injury because Snorg is probably the ugliest unique and it implies that fat people are ugly. To better represent fat people in the game I propose that the tiles of Kirke, Margery and Norris are changed to be fatter. Their description could mention it too. "A big beautiful spellcaster in service to the powers of Hell..."

For this message the author Wahaha has received thanks: 4
ManMan, Sar, ThreeInvisibleDucks, yesno

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 23:53

Wahaha wrote:There is a troubling lack of fat uniques, not even talking about normal monsters, and this is frankly quite problematic. The only fat unique is Snorg as seen by its tile. This adds insult to injury because Snorg is probably the ugliest unique and it implies that fat people are ugly. To better represent fat people in the game I propose that the tiles of Kirke, Margery and Norris are changed to be fatter. Their description could mention it too. "A big beautiful spellcaster in service to the powers of Hell..."

Blork is fat as crap too.

I sincerely hope this is satire though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 23:55

Tiktacy wrote:While there exists plenty exceptions in the animal kingdom, it doesn't really make sense for a humanoid female to be superior in physical prowess to their male counterparts(particularly in the context of crawl, in which it seems nearly all enemies are trained for battle). Perhaps magical prowess or even dexterity, but physical prowess is a characteristic of males with few exceptions.

Ijyb and cerebov are not characterized by magical prowess(even a lowly salamander can cast fire storm!) or dexterity, they are defined by their much larger HP pools and physical ability compared to their counterparts. For this reason it makes more sense for them to be male. Ereshkigels for example makes sense, as she is defined by her high evasion and her unusually high HP can be explained by her existence as an archdemon(even then her HP is about average with the other archdemons, which again would make sense).
So goblins and gigantic fire demons existing is fine, but you draw the line at goblins and gigantic fire demons that deviate from conservative gender roles?
And women live longer than men irl so surely women should be the ones with more HP, anyway

"Fat" is paired with "ugly" in two of the three monster descriptions it appears in, fwiw.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 5
dowan, Lasty, Nasst, osklington, tedric

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 00:05

Tiktacy wrote:I sincerely hope this is satire though.

You made a post about how males are naturally stronger than females but you conveniently ignore that some people are naturally fat. Typical.

For this message the author Wahaha has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Lasty

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 00:05

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:I for one applaud crawls drive towards equality!

I actually really like that player characters are androgynous.

well offline tiles paperdoll editor has male and female tiles for most species, in webtiles all the characters use the male tile

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 00:06

Tiktacy wrote:While there exists plenty exceptions in the animal kingdom, it doesn't really make sense for a humanoid female to be superior in physical prowess to their male counterparts(particularly in the context of crawl, in which it seems nearly all enemies are trained for battle). Perhaps magical prowess or even dexterity, but physical prowess is a characteristic of males with few exceptions.

Occasionally swaying from the norm like the way Dowan and Duvessa do is amusing and certainly very flavorful, but its a bad idea to delude that by flooding the game with female uniques that don't have any reason to be female outside of "just cuz."

Then again, this is a fantasy world where sandy beaches and oceans exist under ground and giant ant men can dig through rock walls as fast as they can run. So its not like extreme outliars existing often is that hard to swallow.

whyd you type all these words

For this message the author yesno has received thanks: 9
Arrhythmia, cerebovssquire, duvessa, Lasty, Nasst, osklington, PleasingFungus, tedric, vible

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 00:12

yesno wrote:in webtiles all the characters use the male tile

Not that it matters, but this isn't true. In WebTiles everyone uses the first doll tile on the list for their species, and those are intentionally ordered so that some "defaults" are male and some female. It'd be neat if we could pick a random one for each character or something, but that's outside my coding ability.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 00:15

o really?

i mean i guess tbh they are so similar that i cant really tell the difference anyway
Next

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner